[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Christen
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Christen » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:47 am

First one. Anime marathon a-go-go.
Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan. I can't recommend it enough.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:03 am

So I hear; will acquire ASAP.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:06 am

So, I heard an interesting (very short) story from my mom the other day that I thought you guys would enjoy. She's taking horseback riding lessons, and apparently, the guy that gives the lessons was out riding one time during a storm, and a chick riding no more than 20 feet from him got struck by lightning. Both her and her horse were killed instantly. Kind of a neat way to go out.
Sig by NBW.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:22 am

Ugh. Just went 3-1 at FNM, losing to my buddy in the final round. Had a helluva game 1 against his Grixis control deck, losing to my 7 consecutive topdecked Mountains. Game two was auto-loss, since I mulled to 4 (all hands had zero lands) and then just floundered until I bit it to a Duskmantle Seer. Oh well, I'll take second place to a buddy taking it down.

I beat Naya Midrange, Jund Midrange, and Naya Blitz. All VERY good games to some good players. Almost a rarity these days.

Hope everyone else's FNMs were just as fun!
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:32 am

So, I heard an interesting (very short) story from my mom the other day that I thought you guys would enjoy. She's taking horseback riding lessons, and apparently, the guy that gives the lessons was out riding one time during a storm, and a chick riding no more than 20 feet from him got struck by lightning. Both her and her horse were killed instantly. Kind of a neat way to go out.
Combust

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:40 am

30 bucks store credit and the [card]Judge's Familiar[/card] promo. Fuck yeah.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:00 am

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:43 am

Good job Khaos. Headed to a small Legacy event with Burn tomorrow, let's see if we can take down all of the tournaments XD
Do the characters get better? I watched the first two episodes; the kid just made me want to punch something, and the girl makes no sense. Doesn't seem like my cup of tea, but if the emotional responses start to make more sense I wouldn't mind giving it another shot.

nWatched Doomsday Book on Netflix tonight, loved it; mostly because the second part is something you don't want to miss.

Dane

Postby Dane » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:31 am

Ugh.

Looking for a new deck to play...I want to start playing in my LGS's paid tournament (win packs, as opposed to the free tournament, where you just win a promo) so I can start recouping costs...thus, I want to win, but have no clue what I want to play. I've been playing almost exclusively limted against other people (constructed against the computer only) since Gatecrash Game Day, except for my testing group, which really didn't last long.

Big problems are, 1) I'm SO finicky when it comes to my decks...I've got so many stupid rules that I just plain can't get past (i.e. I don't want to play Thragtusk, I'm not spending buttloads on Voices or Geists, I want to play something competitive, yet oddball and out there...) and 2) I've got SOME money I'm willing to spend, but I don't want to sink a TON in, especially on stuff that'll be rotating soon, so every deck I look at, I consider what I have vs. what I'll
have to buy.

Yeah, I know, this is probably a common problem...but I feel like whining about it like I'm unique, dammit.

Oh well, time to go do some quick lifting, then shower.
I'm just amazed by how dumb you can consistently pretend to be.

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:34 am

Ugh.

Looking for a new deck to play...I want to start playing in my LGS's paid tournament (win packs, as opposed to the free tournament, where you just win a promo) so I can start recouping costs...thus, I want to win, but have no clue what I want to play. I've been playing almost exclusively limted against other people (constructed against the computer only) since Gatecrash Game Day, except for my testing group, which really didn't last long.

Big problems are, 1) I'm SO finicky when it comes to my decks...I've got so many stupid rules that I just plain can't get past (i.e. I don't want to play Thragtusk, I'm not spending buttloads on Voices or Geists, I want to play something competitive, yet oddball and out there...) and 2) I've got SOME money I'm willing to
spend, but I don't want to sink a TON in, especially on stuff that'll be rotating soon, so every deck I look at, I consider what I have vs. what I'll have to buy.

Yeah, I know, this is probably a common problem...but I feel like whining about it like I'm unique, dammit.

Errr... Dega midrange/Reanimator? Thats the best i got. :/

Dane

Postby Dane » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:44 am

WTF is Dega?
I'm just amazed by how dumb you can consistently pretend to be.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:59 am

RWB
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:15 am

2-3 with All-in Red. Won against Jund Midrange(fuck yeah!) and...I have no clue what the other one was. Lost against UWr Control, Dos Rakis, and an interesting spin on Experiment Jund with a full set of Rancor and Strangleroot Geist.

UWr was super close. Game three, opponent has Aurelia and shiz all tapped out at three life with no hand, my turn - empty hand and board with one life. Needed to topdeck a Spear or Mortars to win, got Pillar instead. Big FML of the night.

Overall, I'm really happy with how it performs. It's blindingly fast, and chaining Emissaries never gets old. Lacks the real oomph of R/g Sligh, though, which is where I'm likely headed next in Standard.

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:53 am

Good job Khaos. Headed to a small Legacy event with Burn tomorrow, let's see if we can take down all of the tournaments XD
Do the characters get better? I watched the first two episodes; the kid just made me want to punch something,
and the girl makes no sense. Doesn't seem like my cup of tea, but if the emotional responses start to make more sense I wouldn't mind giving it another shot.

Watched Doomsday Book on Netflix tonight, loved it; mostly because the second part is something you don't want to miss.
It gets better, trust me. Though if it doesn't click with you with the first few episodes, then maybe it's indeed not for you.

I have to admit that Eren is so whiny as a kid.

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:55 am

On other news, starting out a 9-round WMCQ with a mull to 4 hand and winning with it is one of the best feels in the world.

Currently 2-0 beating two junk rites decks.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:57 am

On other news, starting out a 9-round WMCQ with a mull to 4 hand and winning with it is one of the best feels in the world.

Currently 2-0 beating two junk rites decks.
Keep it up! :smileup:

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:52 am

Ugh.

Big problems are, 1) I'm SO finicky when it comes to my decks...I've got so many stupid rules that I just plain can't get past (i.e. I don't want to play Thragtusk, I'm not spending buttloads on Voices or Geists, I want to play something competitive, yet oddball and out there...) and 2) I've got SOME money I'm willing to
spend, but I don't want to sink a TON in, especially on stuff that'll be rotating soon, so every deck I look at, I consider what I have vs. what I'll have to buy.

Gruul Sligh: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=982
Sig by NBW

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:32 am

@Helios - Good luck with that Legacy tourney. If we tap enough Mountains this weekend, we can burn the entire Southeast to the ground!

@Dane - the best advice I can give you, other than throwing out random decks that you may or may not have any idea how to actually pilot, is to pick a style and colors you are not only comfortable winning with, but losing with as well. For example, I play the Mono Red Aggro deck that we brewed up EIGHT months ago and have not added a single new card from it since RTR came out. The reason why? Win or lose, I truly enjoy playing it and it may just be my favorite Mono Red deck out of the last 3 or 4 seasons, although it's actually been compared to a White Weenie deck disguised as a Red Deck. The point is, I got tired real fast of putting my entire tournament life on the line gambling on whether or not I'd get color screwed, if I'd see the sideboard tech, or if I'd get a favorable match-up.
When losing started to piss me off, I decided that no matter what I would play with a deck that felt as comfortable as a worn-in sock, and that I wouldn't mind going 0-4 with at an FNM. As long as I was happy, that was the point.

I guess I could just sum this up with this: play what makes you happy. Hope that helps.

Solemn10
Newcomer

Postby Solemn10 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:31 am

Reprinting checks in m14 or not? Speculation? Theories?

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:43 am

The checks do have good synergy with the shocklands, so, it's viable.

I hope they shake things up a bit more than the same old reprints, though. Filter lands, anyone?

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Reprinting checks in m14 or not? Speculation? Theories?
There's only room for 5 non-basic lands in the name crunch, so no full 10 card cycles. The core checks are good, but quite boring to have in another core set. So they won't sell any product. Innistrad checks maybe, or another cycle. Scars duals, please! Or 5 fetches... :p
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:25 pm

I guess I could just sum this up with this: play what makes you happy. Hope that helps.
That's the best advise, really. If you don't enjoy playing with a deck, you're playing with the wrong deck.
Sig by NBW

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:05 pm

That's what I tell the married ones.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Here at SCG Baltimore with MY favorite deck.

if I get on stream I've got my shoutout ready

<3

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:59 pm

The only sensible thing would be to print the Inn or checklands. Can you imagine the two to three month frenzy if they were to print the Scars or painlands? Talk about amazing manabase for standard...
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:02 pm

@Christen - keep it up!

@Fate - Burn and trample, brother; burn and trample. You're in my old stomping grounds (actually I lived south of the The Beltway and GW Parkway, but close enough compared to where I am now). Give the city a tip of the hat from me and have fun burning it down!
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:13 pm

<3
Show them that you're too Gruul for school!

Or just say, "There is no Fate....only Gruul...."

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Core set means allied duals of some flavor; MaRo said at one point that the current checks would not be reprinted, which chafes my butt because I hate having to invest $$ just to get a standard mana base. It's bad enough that Modern and older formats have prohibitively expensive mana bases; I don't feel any need for innovation in putting 2 colors on one card. Just my opinion...people buy packs to hit the rares and other stuff, mana should be a given. ([/whinish soapbox]).

By the same line of logic, I'd expect to see a set of enemy lands printed in Theros.
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:34 pm

There's the possibility that they might not even give us any good mana fixing. RtR had a lot, and I think we might be able to play Standard with RtR block mana bases. If they reprint Farseek, this seems very possible. However, they probably will just give us a new set of allied/enemy duals, slightly different from checklands, with a text box like: "CIPT if you control no basic lands." Just some dumb speculation.
Sig by NBW.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm looking for some more help with the Guild Wars deck I posted a few days ago, especially with the sideboard, but rather than clutter this thread with discussion, I think I'll make a new thread for it in the developing Legacy section. Stop by if you're willing to help!
Sig by NBW.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Guess there is no developing section for Legacy. Oh well; at least its not MTGS where they'd probably remove my thread in this instance.
Sig by NBW.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:58 pm

Go Fate! Fuck shit up, get money, then write about it.
Sig by NBW.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Photo, my views on the mana situation is pretty much the same. I'd dislike a new set of duals, just to get people to buy packs. Which is why I hope they reprint a set that's usable in Modern. That would sell packs as well. But I'm quite sure they won't do it.
Sig by NBW

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Guess there is no developing section for Legacy. Oh well; at least its not MTGS where they'd probably remove my thread in this instance.
I'll see if we can't get a subforum set up for Guild Wars/BYoS. I've been thinking about doing a write-up for BYoS because I'm really interested in it.

At my LGS we've been talking about combining both of these ideas and playing a league, so they want me to write up some "official" rules for the format anyway.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Hey Khaos, how's the primer coming along? I'm looking forward to reading it. They're always written so well and they make the reader really want to play the deck.
I'd like to write a primer of my own sometime. I feel like I need to make more players on Dies to Removal make a Riku EDH deck and give this site a proper primer for Krenko, instead of just a list and then a bit of discussion. Maybe sometime this summer, because currently, school has taken away almost all of my will to write anything of substance.
Sig by NBW.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:17 pm

I'll see if we can't get a subforum set up for Guild Wars/BYoS. I've been thinking about doing a write-up for BYoS because I'm really interested in it.

At my LGS we've been talking about combining both of these ideas and playing a league, so they want me to write up some "official" rules for the format anyway.
I posted it in the Legacy subforum anyway, but if you end up creating an "other" section, you should probably
move it to there.
Sig by NBW.

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:53 pm

I ended up 3-2 before deciding to drop due to wanting to go with friends out for the night. I also found myself not being able to concentrate in my game due to said activity for the night. I would say the list performed very well winning even with 5-card mulls.

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:59 pm

<3
Fate, what are you wearing, just so we can spot you on camera if you are walking around?
SM, you complete me. :love:

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:10 pm

As a side note, Voice of Resurgence is a fucking beast.
SM, you complete me. :love:

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Elemental, actually, though it does look like a deer.
Sig by NBW.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”