[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Alex
Not Even MAD
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Alex » Tue May 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Call me old fashioned if you want, but I'll take a fine lookin' MILF any day.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue May 28, 2013 6:00 pm

Call me old fashioned if you want, but I'll take a fine lookin' MILF any day.
I don't discriminate.

I'm an equal opportunity womanizer.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Dane

Postby Dane » Tue May 28, 2013 6:25 pm

Well, that was a fun half-dozen pages to catch up on.

1. It's good to know my clan doesn't think white-knighting is the way to get girls. The only thing more annoying than someone talking out their ass about Magic when it's clear they have no idea what they're talking about is someone talking out their ass about women when it's clear they have no idea what they're talking about. You wouldn't listen to me and now you're in the "friend zone"? Good. That's where you belong you pussy shit. Now get me a drink because I'm dehydrated from blasting your "friend" in the face all night.

2. I'm sincerely glad Dane is not dead.
1) So true. I've been guilty of this in my teens...the whole, "I don't want
to be a jerk...I just want to be a nice guy" thing. Being a decent person and getting girls isn't mutually exclusive. Being a spineless wimp (the sterotypical passive-aggressive, emotionally-manipulative "nice guy") and getting girls IS.

That's the part that I think drives me nuts the most, and I know I've been guilty of without realizing it until later. Guys try to bend over backwards to do all sorts of nice things for girls, because that's what Hugh Grant movies tell us they want, and when the girl isn't into them as more than a friend, they (if they have ANY balls...) give the big romantic "I'm the guy who's been there all along" speech that again, Hugh Grant has unfortunately embedded in us. THEN the girl feels guilty, you've ruined your friendship because it's now uncomfortable and awkward, and you STILL don't have the girl. Pop culture encourages emotional manipulation on a level that's really just sick and wrong.

2) Thanks, dude. Me too. Glad you guys aren't
horribly pissed I vanished without notice for so long.

4) HBD J_S.
I'm just amazed by how dumb you can consistently pretend to be.

Dane

Postby Dane » Tue May 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Girl: I love your costume! Who are you dressed as?
Me: I have no fucking idea. Want to get a drink?
Girl: I'm only 17.
Me: Really? You look younger...
Fuck, I wish more of you watched Community...I wanted to make a reference to a Darkest Timeline end tag.

No, I won't shut up about that stupid show. It's my crack.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Tue May 28, 2013 7:08 pm

Fuck, I wish more of you watched Community...I wanted to make a reference to a Darkest Timeline end tag.

If you think about it, this website is basically our Dreamatorium.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Tue May 28, 2013 7:25 pm

1. It's good to know my clan doesn't think white-knighting is the way to get girls. The only thing more annoying than someone talking out their ass about Magic when it's clear they have no idea what they're talking about is someone talking out their ass about women when it's clear they have no idea what they're talking about. You wouldn't listen to me and now you're in the "friend zone"? Good. That's where you belong you pussy shit. Now get me a drink because I'm dehydrated from blasting your "friend" in the face all
night.

1) So true. I've been guilty of this in my teens...the whole, "I don't want to be a jerk...I just want to be a nice guy" thing. Being a decent person and getting girls isn't mutually exclusive. Being a spineless wimp (the sterotypical passive-aggressive, emotionally-manipulative "nice guy") and getting girls IS.

That's the part that I think drives me nuts the most, and I know I've been guilty of without realizing it until later. Guys try to bend over backwards to do all sorts of nice things for girls, because that's what Hugh Grant movies tell us they want, and when the girl isn't into them as more than a friend, they (if they have ANY balls...) give the big romantic "I'm the guy who's been there all along" speech that again, Hugh Grant has unfortunately embedded in us. THEN the girl feels guilty, you've ruined your friendship because it's now uncomfortable and awkward, and you STILL don't
have the girl. Pop culture encourages emotional manipulation on a level that's really just sick and wrong.

2) Thanks, dude. Me too. Glad you guys aren't horribly pissed I vanished without notice for so long.

4) HBD J_S.
Is #3 a secret?

Dane

Postby Dane » Tue May 28, 2013 7:46 pm

If you think about it, this website is basically our Dreamatorium.

You joke, but we've got a room in our house that isn't much used...I'm trying to sell my wife on the idea of a Dreamatorium.

And at least you'll appreciate this. Can't you just see the darkest version of Jeff "I wish you were even younger!" fitting in in this conversation?

1. It's good to know my clan doesn't think white-knighting is the way to get girls. The only thing more annoying than someone talking out their ass about Magic when it's clear they have no idea what they're talking about is someone talking out their ass about women when it's clear they have
no idea what they're talking about. You wouldn't listen to me and now you're in the "friend zone"? Good. That's where you belong you pussy shit. Now get me a drink because I'm dehydrated from blasting your "friend" in the face all night.

1) So true. I've been guilty of this in my teens...the whole, "I don't want to be a jerk...I just want to be a nice guy" thing. Being a decent person and getting girls isn't mutually exclusive. Being a spineless wimp (the sterotypical passive-aggressive, emotionally-manipulative "nice guy") and getting girls IS.

That's the part that I think drives me nuts the most, and I know I've been guilty of without realizing it until later. Guys try to bend over backwards to do all sorts of nice things for girls, because that's what Hugh Grant movies tell us they want, and when the girl isn't into them as more than a friend, they (if they have ANY balls...) give
the big romantic "I'm the guy who's been there all along" speech that again, Hugh Grant has unfortunately embedded in us. THEN the girl feels guilty, you've ruined your friendship because it's now uncomfortable and awkward, and you STILL don't have the girl. Pop culture encourages emotional manipulation on a level that's really just sick and wrong.

2) Thanks, dude. Me too. Glad you guys aren't horribly pissed I vanished without notice for so long.

4) HBD J_S.
Is #3 a secret?
Even to me...because I can't remember what it was. It wasn't something I wanted to address, so I didn't quote it. Don't play with my emotions right now, Ham. I'm delicate.

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Tue May 28, 2013 8:57 pm

Happy B-day JSpike!

that is all

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Tue May 28, 2013 9:04 pm

How serious are rules offences in an FNM or WNM compared to actual tournaments? Will cautions/warnings from the former count the same as from the latter?

lorddax
Tire Aficionado

Postby lorddax » Tue May 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Happy Birthday Johnny_Spike.

For the record, you guys are my favorite group of glorious bastards.

I love how our clan seems to be applying more science to the field of MTG than any other group out there that I know of. I devour these types of articles and love opening other people's eyes to how much work goes into a red deck.

On the other topic, (I may be a bit late getting to it) the advice I give to the youngins I mentor off and on is there are really two prime rules in life, don't be a dick/bitch and give good head.

But don't take my word for it!
http://youtu.be/-iTVgRxVq2g?t=29m21s
http://youtu.be/-iTVgRxVq2g?t=43m55s

To crib from the wife's instructor notes for her His & Hers Oral Sex class:
If you are bad at it practice,
no one will mind. Trust me.
If you are want to receive, learn to enjoy giving.
Sex is sloppy, mess, gross, sweaty and hilarious. Enjoy it.
Your brain is actually your largest throbbing organ, make sure to use it. Its actually really easy to influence.
The only way to fix something is to say what you want instead.
For the bachelors and bachelorettes - getting great head is something that is very much talked about and shared, capitalize on that!
Applied correctly any relationship can be improved drastically (that she stole from Katt Williams after we were dying watching his specials)

Gotta love having a "Sexual Health and Wellness Instruction Coordinator" for a wife ;)

Always remember there is a large quantity of women that can't orgasm from intercourse alone(we are talking a size of 40-52%), so do your damn part to make the world a happier place full of smiling happy people.
Some men just want to watch the planes burn. . .and most of them are here.
FoS resident designer/codemonkey
MTGO:lorddax Cockatrice:lorddax

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Tue May 28, 2013 10:23 pm

Always remember there is a large quantity of women that can't orgasm from intercourse alone(we are talking a size of 40-52%), so do your damn part to make the world a happier place full of smiling happy people.
I'm doing my part! Just call me Colonel Angus. :D
SM, you complete me. :love:

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Tue May 28, 2013 10:44 pm

Anime conventions are just an excuse for me to walk around shirtless. Of course I go.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Tue May 28, 2013 11:01 pm

you can catch me by my new handle: Yoloswag

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Tue May 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Swaghunter

lorddax
Tire Aficionado

Postby lorddax » Tue May 28, 2013 11:11 pm

Sometimes I think YOLO is Carpe Diem for the unintelligent masses.

Some men just want to watch the planes burn. . .and most of them are here.
FoS resident designer/codemonkey
MTGO:lorddax Cockatrice:lorddax

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Tue May 28, 2013 11:18 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Wed May 29, 2013 2:14 am

Thought for the day (courtesy of MJ):

Would you rather have a flier or a trampler?
- I would rather have a 1/1 flier than a 1/1 trampler, because a 1/1 trampler is stupid
- I would rather have a 100/100 trampler than a 100/100 flier though

So there is a number between 1 and 100 where the values of the respective ability change. Understanding that the power level keywords exist on a spectrum and is contextual, not at a set point ad infinitum is important both for card evaluation in draft, but also for board state evaluation during a game.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Wed May 29, 2013 3:04 am

- I would rather have a 1/1 flier than a 1/1 trampler, because a 1/1 trampler is stupid

So there is a number between 1 and 100 where the values of the respective ability change. Understanding that the power level keywords exist on a spectrum and is contextual, not at a set point ad infinitum is important both for card evaluation in draft, but also for board state evaluation during a game.
Flying vs trample....

Hmm. assuming that each of the respective creatures have identical costs for the P/T... I would say the number is about 5.5. That number seems wrong, but it would be about what I would rate it at. While 5 would seem to be the cutoff, 5 power fliers are still very very good.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Wed May 29, 2013 3:18 am

Aren't the keywords a bit too situational to be given any sort of value on a numeric(or otherwise) scale?

I mean, I'd take mountainwalk over islandwalk if my opponent is playing Mono-Blue Merfolk. But if my opponent were playing RDW, then the reverse would be true. I'll happily take a flyer over a trampler of any p/t until my opponent fields a flier or creature with reach. And so on and so forth. I also feel like the value of keywords is subjective depending on an individual's playstyle.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed May 29, 2013 4:18 am

So my LGS is having a Block Constructed tournament next Sunday. I'm wanting to play Rakdos since I have most of the cards for it (vs Boros where I am lacking much of the mana base). Is this any good or should I go mono red? I worry about drawing hands with no red sources here. Maybe I need to run some number of Guildgates?

[deck]
Creatures (27)
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Spike Jester
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
3 Rakdos Shred-Freak
4 Hellhole Flailer
4 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch

Spells (11)
4 Dynacharge
3 Mizzium Mortars
4 Dreadbore

Land (22)
4 Blood Crypt
10 Mountain
8 Swamp
[/deck]
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Wed May 29, 2013 4:28 am

@Valdarith - Everything looks pretty balanced; the only color warp you have is overloading mortars, which on 22 lands is not a central game plan anyway. As long as your board is balanced as well, it seems like an appropriate mana distribution. Sure, you may have to mull here and there due to variance, but i'm assuming you would rather do that than deal with guildgates CIPT as you're not playing them.
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Wed May 29, 2013 4:41 am

I'd suggest 2 guildgates as well, if nothing other than flavor support (it matters).

Solemn10
Newcomer

Postby Solemn10 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:57 am

Assuming power and toughness are equal, I'd say 1-3 flier, 4-5 equal, and 6-> trample. 3 power trample is meh and will likely die to a blocker which makes flying the better
choice but if the opp throws his whole board under my trampler I won't be too unhappy.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Wed May 29, 2013 5:12 am

You want Rix Maadi Guildmage in your 60; it's very good. Also Ash Zealot.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Wed May 29, 2013 5:22 am

Damn, z, just throw me off a cliff...age must be getting to me as I somehow had in my head Zealot was AVR. I facepalmed as soon as you said it, but it seems like we've been playing her a lot longer than we have for some reason. And her flavor always seemed more ISD block to me, I guess.
Righteous sig by NBW

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Wed May 29, 2013 5:37 am

She was MEANT to be in ISD block afterall; the art was left over from that set.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Wed May 29, 2013 6:27 am

I thought as much. All things being equal, I'm glad she will be around for another season. I feel that she has more potential even beyond what we've been able to pull from her thus far.
Righteous sig by NBW

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Wed May 29, 2013 6:32 am

Yes, all we need now is a 0 CMC enchantment that forces all of their spells to be re-cast from the graveyard. 2 card combo!

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Wed May 29, 2013 6:38 am

Heya, ham! Man, I was just thinking some casual anthem action to abuse her FS, but I like your idea much better!
Righteous sig by NBW

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Wed May 29, 2013 7:06 am

Is Thundermaw Hellkite being used in Modern? I'm listing down cards that I'd be selling before Standard rotates. I also figured I'd take a break from paper after this last WMCQ and go back after rotation.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Wed May 29, 2013 7:11 am

Yeah, it sees a little play in both UWR and Jund variants.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Wed May 29, 2013 7:38 am

She was MEANT to be in ISD block afterall; the art was left over from that set.
So that's what has been bothering me about her. At least she looks like someone from the Boros legion.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Wed May 29, 2013 7:43 am

I think she hitched a ride through a wormhole to Ravnica with Buck Rogers. Her face for some reason brings to mind for me Erin Gray as Wilma Deering...strange childhood remembrances!
Righteous sig by NBW

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Wed May 29, 2013 8:19 am

Good evening, gents. It's a very strange feeling to be back from a date with an extremely attractive woman (redhead, no less) that I'm completely turned off by. Strange entitlements, immaturity and a negative attitude about men in general.

Toward the end of the evening she began to sense my disinterest and invited me back to her place. I turned it down, I'd rather come back and talk Magic with you dudes instead.

Is this what maturity feels like?

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Wed May 29, 2013 8:38 am

Yeah it is. At some point you realize that if it isn't going to make you feel good, you don't do it. You don't have anything to prove to anyone but yourself.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Wed May 29, 2013 9:31 am

1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Wed May 29, 2013 9:36 am

Child of Night is a small boon to Vampire tribal in standard I guess?
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Wed May 29, 2013 9:37 am

Yeah, still at work.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Wed May 29, 2013 9:59 am

Me as well, James...

Ham, you have every right to be discriminating and owe nothing beyond what your wont to share. Props to you for not feeling like you owed or were owed anything in particular beyond the date.
Righteous sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Wed May 29, 2013 10:07 am

Child of Night is a small boon to Vampire tribal in standard I guess?
She fits thematically with Tithe Drinker, Artist, Nighthawk and Baron in a tribal lifedrain strategy, but she regrettably doesn't make the them collectively any better aggressors in terms of a dedicated deck. I'm with Sam Black on liking the concept, but methinks the execution doth fall short of the competitive meta.
Righteous sig by NBW

Return to “Fires of Salvation”