[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Dodger
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Dodger » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:36 am

You gained 19 pounds in a week?

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:41 am

Yep. I had cut about 10 in a day to make weight though. And I am bloated as hell with alcohol and food right now ~ so the real number is probably closer to 5-6 pounds, but still. Pretty hilarious.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:48 am

I can eat a pizza and put on about 5 lbs after the residual bloating and inflammation catches up to me.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:59 am

I'm like 99% sure I would just explode if I ate an entire pizza. You folks amaze me.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:06 am

Yeah, know how I was 148 last weekend? 166 at the moment :P

Admittedly, I did just weigh myself after waking up from a big night out post Good Friday, but still; pretty happy with my work.
Glad you're feeling more comfortable in your skin again, James...no more hypotension, I hope?
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:09 am

Feel fine now, fully re-hydrated. It was certainly pretty bizarre having the dizzy spells though.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:48 am

Feel fine now, fully re-hydrated. It was certainly pretty bizarre having the dizzy spells though.
I have patients get them all the time when starting new blood pressure meds...transfers (lying > sitting, sitting > standing) and gravity do not mix well when your volume is low or your vessels aren't compensating correctly. I'm glad that's all it was!

I picked up the necessary cards online for the tempo deck this afternoon...I hope to get to take it for a spin this weekend (particularly since the kids asked me to stay home tonight and hang with them). Have you started developing a sideboard beyond expansions of the current cards? I am definitely looking at Evil Twin against Tusk...I love him much more with Messenger to cycle,
but he can still be great for shutting down problem creatures since so few decks have proper means of killing him.
Righteous sig by NBW

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:33 am

Haha, I got banned from MTGS indefinitely for 1 infraction. I like how it says I'm suspended, but I'm suspended until 9-9-2999.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:45 am

One Piece is really, really good. A big selling point is that even though there are nearly 600 episodes, you can start from ep 1 and just slowly grind your way through and it is still extremely enjoyable (I have only seen the first 100 or so).
Is One Piece popular in Aus? I'd never heard of it before moving to Japan.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:52 am

Haha, I got banned from MTGS indefinitely for 1 infraction. I like how it says I'm suspended, but I'm suspended until 9-9-2999.
What did you do?

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:56 am

^ Nice one Alex. Balanced moderation at its finest :)

@ Johnny ~ I don't think it is very popular. I actually don't have many friends who like Anime; one girl I dated a few years ago and one other friend pretty much. I just like watching it more than the trash on TV here.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:58 am

Just for cracking back at the mods?! Gods, what a draconian, self-important bunch of pond scum.
Righteous sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:01 am

My anime tastes run way back...Vampire Hunter Z and stuff like that.
Righteous sig by NBW

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:04 am

RE UB Tempo, how about a small white splash for lingering souls? They work great with pikes and Augur; they increase the effective creature count; and it is a more powerful card against the current field than Delver? Also opens up Moorland Haunt, Azorius Charm or Vault of the Archangel...and my pet card, Saving Grasp! :D
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:09 am

What did you do?
You don't actually have to do anything, it's MTGS.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:09 am

RE UB Tempo, how about a small white splash for lingering souls? They work great with pikes and Augur; they increase the effective creature count; and it is a more powerful card against the current field than Delver? Also opens up Moorland Haunt, Azorius Charm or Vault of the Archangel...and my pet card, Saving Grasp! :D
I thought about white, but my impression was that you were trying to stay away from Uw/Esper. You know how I feel about LS...it's in my pet deck and we've talked about the power of the card before.

Saving Grasp is a card that I should look at seriously in the Esper deck I showed you...better utility than [
card]Cloudshift[/card] if more mana-intensive.

While we are talking decks...do you think BW or Dega (or Esper for that matter) tokens could be viable in this meta? There doesn't seem to be a lot of hate for it right now, and the success of Aristocrats seems to suggest in a tangential way that it could be viable...

EDIT: Another thought...how do you feel about starting a discussion about the UB deck over in the Standard section? Nothing so formal as a primer and such, but I was thinking about starting a "Pet Project" thread over there where we could bounce around ideas to see what we can start moving forward. I was going to start off with my deck as a jumping-off point. As you mentioned before, Z, I'm interested in starting to look seriously at getting ahead of the curve again content-wise. It seems like it would make sense conceptually to go "public" as we start to integrate here. Feel free of course to keep things right here...I'm just thinking out loud
as we settle in.
Last edited by photodyer on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Righteous sig by NBW

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:17 am

Wow so my GF placed higher than me in a draft for the first time....

Her deck was insane with Frontline Medic, Hellraiser Goblin, Clan defiance.... skynights....everything you could want basically. Oh and a Gruul charm.

So she got 1st in her pod I got 3rd in mine.

Her first prize pack...has an Olivia AND a Garruk in it, neither are foil. Didn't know that was possible but YUP, she's so excited

Plus I got a job today, which=more $$$ for magics (or less time for magic, which would be sad)

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:18 am

Alex is probably the best to ask about dega token decks. I certainly think it's viable for FNM, same with BW.

RE UB tempo, there really isn't a reason not to splash white since you get such a power boost simply from having Lingering souls in your colors along with Restoration Angel, Charm, and Vault.

RE my last two days. I was supposed to see my lady friend for a bit, come home, and go on a trip to see my Grandma and sister. What actually happened is a met up with homegirl for like 10 minutes, then she says she has an obligation to see a play with her mentor(Jesus Christ Superstar, actually a very good musical). I was sorta frustrated, but I said whatever, caught a subway to downtown LA, went to an Irish pub that had RAN OUT OF GUINESS and proceeded to by an over-priced blue moon and then catch another subway to my house in disgust.

As I get to my destination, home girl calls, says her car broke down and that I can
hang out at her place. I get of one subway, immediately get on the one heading back her way and go to her house. A couple beers and a bottle of wine later and we're showering together. We decide to not go "all the way" but do everything else and stay up till say 5:30 before going to sleep. We wake up at like, 8 and proceed to fool around some more at which point I decide to just go to 7-11 and by a 3 pack of magnums. I currently reek of her. Life is good.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:21 am

^ yes; I think there is definitely potential in those decks. Might turn my mind back to BW tokens actually...

Anyway

[deck]
4 augur of bolas
3 invisible stalker
4 snapcaster mage

3 runechanter's pike

4 azorius charm
2 cremate
2 forbidden alchemy
4 dimir charm
4 lingering souls
2 negate
4 thought scour
2 tragic slip
2 ultimate price

4 drowned catacomb
4 glacial fortress
3 godless shrine
4 hallowed fountain
4 watery grave
1 vault of the archangel[/deck]

I would consider GoST or a single Saving Grasp ;)
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:27 am

Okay...this has gears turning, Z. BTW look back at the edit on my last post (late).
Righteous sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:36 am

Alex is probably the best to ask about dega token decks. I certainly think it's viable for FNM, same with BW.

RE UB tempo, there really isn't a reason not to splash white since you get such a power boost simply from having Lingering souls in your colors along with Restoration Angel, Charm, and Vault.

RE my last two days. I was supposed to see my lady friend for a bit, come home, and go on a trip to see my Grandma and sister. What actually happened is a met up with homegirl for like 10 minutes, then she says she has an obligation to see a play with her mentor(Jesus Christ Superstar, actually a very good musical). I was sorta frustrated, but I said whatever, caught a subway to downtown LA, went to an Irish pub that had RAN OUT OF GUINESS and
proceeded to by an over-priced blue moon and then catch another subway to my house in disgust.

As I get to my destination, home girl calls, says her car broke down and that I can hang out at her place. I get of one subway, immediately get on the one heading back her way and go to her house. A couple beers and a bottle of wine later and we're showering together. We decide to not go "all the way" but do everything else and stay up till say 5:30 before going to sleep. We wake up at like, 8 and proceed to fool around some more at which point I decide to just go to 7-11 and by a 3 pack of magnums. I currently reek of her. Life is good.
Dawg...I'm jealous! Ah, to be young and studly with prospects again...

JCS is definitely a remarkable musical...saw the original back in the day and I still have many of the songs committed to memory (I played Caiaphas in a high school-age production...a role I both loved and hated, as one must when considering the character). I always was
more partial to Superstar than Godspell, but Godspell was more "acceptable" so we got to do it more often. Godspell was more fun to do, quite honestly, because it is perfect for updating with pop-culture references. I love the music of both, and both always ended with all of us in tears from the power of the story. Watching Christ die in essence is heavy stuff for a bunch of high school kids.
Righteous sig by NBW

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:37 am

Neglected to mention, badass sig Photo. How I'm miss the shrine.

I liked JCS more then Godspell, but our school chose to do the latter as a play. RE versions, I like the 2000 update of JCS for some reason. It's been 8 years since I've seen either but I distinctly remember liking the newer version more. I think it was because of Vegas showgirls.

Patrick chapin

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:46 am

Hiya, red mages! I went 4-1 with my Almost-mono-white aggro this evening at FNM. Faith's Shield was an excellent card post-board, and more than once I Champ of the Parish>Boros Elite>Boros Elite>Boros Elite'd for explosive awesomeness. Made some nice trades as well. Good times.

How'd everyone else do?

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:00 am

Neglected to mention, badass sig Photo. How I'm miss the shrine.

I liked JCS more then Godspell, but our school chose to do the latter as a play. RE versions, I like the 2000 update of JCS for some reason. It's been 8 years since I've seen either but I distinctly remember liking the newer version more. I think it was because of Vegas showgirls.
Thanks, LK! I had fun making it last night. You know, I have not had he opportunity to see the reboot of JCS. I'm so very old school about that show...I loved Ian Gillan as Christ. I still have the original release in vinyl...played it more times than I could ever hope to count. But I would love to catch the update.
Righteous sig by NBW

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:02 am

I think I played fairly tight. I managed the game state by casting multiple charms of the izzet variety to filter through the BS until I could successfully dump my Emrakeaul into the yard but brought it back with a Vengeance and annihilated my opponents board state and finishing her by pumping my Eldrazi monster with some dynacharges.

Patrick chapin

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:03 am

Hiya, red mages! I went 4-1 with my Almost-mono-white aggro this evening at FNM. Faith's Shield was an excellent card post-board, and more than once I Champ of the Parish>Boros Elite>Boros Elite>Boros Elite'd for explosive awesomeness. Made some nice trades as well. Good times.

How'd everyone else do?
Hey Kaze-- great job! I stayed home with the kids...we're learning Munchkin as it's as close to Magic as we can get my daughter to go. I'm waiting to here from windstrider as he was heading to my LGS to play...
Righteous sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:04 am

I think I played fairly tight. I managed the game state by casting multiple charms of the izzet variety to filter through the BS until I could successfully dump my Emrakeaul into the yard but brought it back with a Vengeance and annihilated my opponents board state and finishing her by pumping my Eldrazi monster with some dynacharges.
:grovel: :grovel: :grovel:

We're not worthy! We're scum!
Righteous sig by NBW

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:09 am

For anyone that plays modern: I was looking at MODO daily results and I saw a Death and Taxes deck that had either awesome or SUPREMELY JANKY tech. The deck played 2 red akromas with the only way of utilizing her being to morph it onto the battlefield and then either blink the morph with Flickerwisp or Restoration angel. Really cool, but probably waaaaaaaaaaaaay to janky.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/Digital/Ma ... rn/5230561 The deck being the W/g hatebear disruption list. I generally think death and taxes is terrible in modern, but the deck has that unknown angle that randomly get's to wasteland you over and over again.

Patrick chapin

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:31 am

^ yes; I think there is definitely potential in those decks. Might turn my mind back to BW tokens actually...

Anyway

[deck]
4 augur of bolas
3 invisible stalker
4 snapcaster mage

3 runechanter's pike

4 azorius charm
2 cremate
2 forbidden alchemy
4 dimir charm
4 lingering souls
2 negate
4 thought scour
2 tragic slip
2 ultimate price

4 drowned catacomb
4 glacial fortress
3 godless shrine
4 hallowed fountain
4 watery grave
1 vault of the archangel[/deck]

I would consider GoST or a single Saving Grasp ;)
Z, what do you think about dealing with Ghost Dad and Reckoner? Windstrider just texted me that my LGS has been taken over by
control decks. Murder in the SB?
Righteous sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:33 am

Well, never mind, I see windstrider is online now...let him expand on what we're facing. I know I was seeing a buttload of Farseek-driven control of varying flavors when last I attended.
Righteous sig by NBW

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:40 am

Ghost Dad I would just charm or kill with tragic slip. Reckoner seems complete garbage against that deck ~ all your removal is terrors and he doesn't interact with Invisible Stalker or Lingering Souls with pike.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:41 am

Did you ever play Delver? Basically, you want to churn through your deck with cantrip type effects while attacking for small chunks of damage via Augur, soul tokens, and aggressive snapcaster mages and the game ends if ever you assemble stalker+pike. There's light disruption with the negates and dimir charm if ever your opponent is in pseudo top deck mode. My list is different and more reflective of my approach to deckbuilding. Note it's a work in progress and fairly greedy:

[deck]4 Augur of Bolas
4 Snapcaster Mage
3 Restoration Angel
3 Invisible Stalker

2 Runechanter's Pike

4 Thoughtscour
4 Azorius Charm
2 Forbidden Alchemy
3 Dimir Charm
1 Negate
1 Essence Scatter
1 Ultimate Price
1 Unsummon
2 Tragic Slip
2 Cremate
2 Lingering Souls

20 Esper Lands
1 Vault of the Archangel.[/deck]

Patrick chapin

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:47 am

Have not had a chance to test Delver. Might actually be better to cut Stalkers and 1 pike for Delver; with 24 hits they are very aggressive and you might be able to leverage a reasonable number of free-wins? But there are so few answers to Stalker in the format, especially with the counter-magic and lingering souls in the deck. Just seems like a better plan.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:48 am

How'd everyone else do?
Hey Kaze-- great job! I stayed home with the kids...we're learning Munchkin as it's as close to Magic as we can get my daughter to go. I'm waiting to here from windstrider as he was heading to my LGS to play...
Well, wait no more.
I went 2-3 with my Grixis list. The Izzet Charms bring a lot of versatility to the deck, but I think it is time to shut the experiment down and go back to a more traditional Dos Rakis build. When it curves out, that deck is still overwhelmingly powerful.

I anticipated a lot of Reanimator-style shenanigans and ran smack dab into a field full of control and tempo decks, which have always been my worst matchups. It was a very odd night. I had not realized how powerful Assemble the Legion really is. Augur of Bolas is a right royal bastard. And I saw Delver in two of the decks this evening, so he's making a comeback in some fashion.

As for UB Tempo, you should consider adding Duskmantle Seer into the lineup. One of the decks I faced used him to great effect. He's very scary equipped with a Pike.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:51 am

I think the tempo loss from casting seer negates the advantage you gain from untapping with it. It's also redundant to say X-creature is scary with pike ;) I'm also surprised that control would be your worst matchup as a member of a clan of red mages, then again, I'm not up to date with the state of Tres Grixis. Either way, going back to a deck that curves from noble up to Aristocrat reliably seems like a safe bet solid finishes.

Patrick chapin

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:59 am

This is very much learning curve for me...I know the general Delverish gameplan from playing against it so often, but I was an aggro head. Trying to expand my boundaries here, but my tendency is still to think of more literal answers. I can see playing around Reckoner, but I know Obzedat is going to be a major fixture locally and I will likely side a direct fix considering how much room this list seems to give for dealing with everything else (I'm thinking more of his use as a grindy life drain than his actually swinging in, though I get that the plan is to strap on Pike and swing for the fence). I can also see siding in Essence Scatter for in some of the 30+ creature decks.
Righteous sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:05 am

How'd everyone else do?
Hey Kaze-- great job! I stayed home with the kids...we're learning Munchkin as
it's as close to Magic as we can get my daughter to go. I'm waiting to here from windstrider as he was heading to my LGS to play...
Well, wait no more. I went 2-3 with my Grixis list. The Izzet Charms bring a lot of versatility to the deck, but I think it is time to shut the experiment down and go back to a more traditional Dos Rakis build. When it curves out, that deck is still overwhelmingly powerful.

I anticipated a lot of Reanimator-style shenanigans and ran smack dab into a field full of control and tempo decks, which have always been my worst matchups. It was a very odd night. I had not realized how powerful Assemble the Legion really is. Augur of Bolas is a right royal bastard. And I saw Delver in two of the decks this evening, so he's making a comeback in some fashion.

As for UB Tempo, you should consider adding Duskmantle Seer into the lineup. One
of the decks I faced used him to great effect. He's very scary equipped with a Pike.
How prevalent were sweepers? I assume that Verdict must have been ruining your night...Bonfire as well? Also out of curiosity knowing that crowd...Blind Obedience?
Last edited by photodyer on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Righteous sig by NBW

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:07 am

^ I don't mind Duskmantle Seer at all, but I think that takes the deck in a different direction.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:09 am

^ I don't mind Duskmantle Seer at all, but I think that takes the deck in a different direction.
Am I thinking correctly that you would want to be running Sphincter's Retaliation and more land in a Seer deck?
Righteous sig by NBW

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:11 am

Yeah, something like that.

Just a comment that occurs to me following some of your earlier questions ~ remember, the plan is still to bring your opponent to 0; not to kill everything he plays and only then win. The deck has angles to attack that the cards you're worrying about don't interact with.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Return to “Fires of Salvation”