[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

BrainsickHater
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby BrainsickHater » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:08 am

I did hush a monoblue deck, which felt good. He showed me double master in hand after the game.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:16 am

I hushed a MonoGreen Aggro deck just fucking around on Friday. He was quite surprised to find out that his BTE's didn't give him any mana, his devotion triggers on his Hunters didn't happen, and his Experiment Ones stayed as 1/1s.

Pity.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:23 am

1-2 drop at the Standard DE :( Highlights are up for critique.
DCI Rules Advisor
MTGO/Cockatrice: BlakLanner
My YouTube Channel
BlakLanner is the boogeyman created to scare the little Standard players.
Currently Playing
Standard: [mana]RWU[/mana]Jeskai
Modern: [mana]RWG[/mana]Burn, [mana]GRWUR[/mana]Slivers
Legacy: [mana]R[/mana]Burn
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)
Current decklists are posted here

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:25 am

Will check it out / try to give feedback.

Whole

Postby Whole » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:51 am

Having trouble with U/W Control. This is my list:

Currently my sideboard plan is usually +2 Chandra, +4 T//T, +1 Banishing Light with -2 Chained (leaving 1 mainboard), -3 Helix, -2 Shock. Is this wrong or are there better cards to board in against them or is it just hopeless? I feel that I've been doing very well in almost every other matchup but this one.
excerpt from my t8 profile:

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:26 am

@Whole: I like that SB plan, I believe Zem and Co vouch for Flamespeaker in the MU (he is an excellent out for FSP as well).
Last Time
[deck=MDU's Post M15 Rw Burn (work in Progress)]Lands 23
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
2 Battlefield Forge
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Burns and Other 29
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
3 Shock
2 Stroke the Flames

Sideboard 15
1 Mutavault
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Banishing Light
2 Pillar of Light
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Toil // Trouble
3 Hushwing Gryff[/deck]

I've always like the 6x Scry land approach (I find it amusing people thought it wouldn't work at first) so I'm glad more people are willing to try it, I have some concerns about running 2
Battlefield Forge because I fear killing myself vs aggro but since I'm running more 3cc spells I believe the extra untapped lands will be vital.

I may go up too 12 W in the future (I have lots of W post board) and I'm considering running 2x Searing Bloods over 1x vaults and 1x Gryff from the sideboard - depending on the number of g and u devotion decks in the metagame.
I've got around testing the above list and ended up disliking the numbers, those games will be uploaded on Tuesday (based on future-land timezone) I've since adjusted the numbers into:

[deck=MDU's Post M15 Rw Burn (work in Progress)]Lands 23
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
2 Battlefield Forge
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Burns and Other 29
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
4 Shock
1 Stroke the Flames

Sideboard 15
Stroke the Flames
2 Hushwing Gryff
2 Banishing Light
2 Pillar of Light
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Toil // Trouble
3 Mizzium Mortars[/deck]

Which I used too go 3-1 and 4-0 in two straight DEs - beating Jund Monster, RDW, Mirror, Ux Devo, Bx Devo and some random GW Aggro deck with new Ajani.

I played really sloppy (more so then usual because I still have modern in the brain) which caused me too drop a game vs control in the most obv. punted turn ever.

Anyhow the only three cards which I'll need to talk about which are:

2 Hushwing Gryff: They're basically Skullcrack with Wings, I don't dislike them but having some ripped from your hand via LBZ is depressing - I use it vs Monster and Bx

1 Stroke the Flames: its an odd card considering I board it into every MU - but since the meta is quite diverse I can't really justify cutting Shock or CTTR - so i just leave it in the SB until I know what I'm playing against

2 [card]
Pillar of Light[/card]: for the extra cost is well worth the larger range of targets and Exile imo is huge.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:53 am

I'm at 74/75 MDU - I've got a 4th Toil in the SB and dropped a Helix to put the second Stroke in the MD :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Whole

Postby Whole » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:08 am

Flamespeaker vs control? Seems that he just gets shut off by Jace or walled by Ram.

HK1997

Postby HK1997 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:41 am

Done with playing around with the 4 new cards and I see we have mostly come to the same conclusions:

2x hushwing SB: it's good enough for 2, but not for three imo. I actually had it killed by my opponent once, burned him end of turn and spent the next minute searching for my Phoenix, wondering what bug I've encountered... :argh:
It's no replacement for sc in the Bx MU, but a welcome addition.

1x stoke in MD: two was too much for me, but I have convoked about half my stoke draws so far and like it.

2x pillar in SB: costing three doesn't take anything away from it and exile+instant is a winning combination for our YP decks. The exile has saved me a bunch of trouble vs those pesky mono B MD whip builds...

2x battlefield forge in MD: it replaced GG and has not cost me any relevant life so far. 80% of the time it taps for
colorless. I had two in play as my only white sources of 4 mana and didn't notice that fact for about three turns.

All in all I have to be careful to not overload on removal, when boarding. Pillar being so much better than reprisal has us spoiled for choice. 4x chains, 2x pillar, 2x BL is a very impressive exile suite which we CAN run in certain matchups. Having pillar has let me use BL on the odd enchantment here and there, making WT not so appealing anymore.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:51 pm

2x hushwing SB: it's good enough for 2, but not for three imo. I actually had it killed by my opponent once, burned him end of turn and spent the next minute searching for my Phoenix, wondering what bug I've encountered... :argh:
It's no replacement for sc in the Bx MU, but a welcome addition.
:rofl:

- - - - - - -

Well both HK and I made finishes in the standard DE (today/tonight) beating decks like Ux Devo, Naya Friend, Bx Devo, Monster and Bg Devo so the plan is working

If your prefer an proactive approach, I suggest trying it out :yes:

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:03 pm

I highly recommend that MODO players record their event matches. Just watching the 9 games I played yesterday gave me enough notes to almost write a whole article (assuming I did that sort of thing). So many misplays and odd lines. They may or may not have gotten me the match but will likely help later on.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Lost my win and in at the super IQ to UW control. G1 he was on planar cleansing, game 2 he boards them out and brings in fiendslayers and d spheres.

Lost r1 to naya walkers
rd 2: beat mono g (splashing black)
rd 3: beat mono g
rd 4: beat jund monsters
r5: beat burn
r6: lost UW.

This is how the past 3 fucking IQs have gone for me. I lose round 1, battle back, then lose win and in for the ultimate tilts, walk out without even collecting prizes haha.

yurp yurp

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Being grindy hasn't been working out for me, so after seeing MDU's new list this is what I'll be trying out:

[deck]
Creatures
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Other Spells
4 Chained to the Rocks
1 Stoke the Flames
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
4 Shock

Lands
1 Temple of Silence
2 Battlefield Forge
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Sacred Foundry
3 Mutavault
9 Mountain

Sideboard
2 Banishing Light
2 Hushwing Gryff
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Pillar of Light[/deck]

EDIT: Haven't been seing Wear//Tear in many lists lately. Is the general consensus that UWx isn't super popular and enchantments are kind of hated out with the printing of back to nature?

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Where are said highlights?

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:59 pm

Go to his twitch channel which is linked under his banner.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:02 pm

Doesn't work on Tablet. Guess I have to get up.

HK1997

Postby HK1997 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:31 pm

EDIT: Haven't been seing Wear//Tear in many lists lately. Is the general consensus that UWx isn't super popular and enchantments are kind of hated out with the printing of back to nature?
Kind of. Enchantments have been on the decline ever since JOU and the popularity of golgari charm. I wouldnt say this is a new development thanks to any specific M15 cards. The problem with bringin in enchantment hate vs UW is that its a hit or miss. If in hand and you cast CP into a sphere or BL, then of course WT is great. A lot of times you are stranded with it in hand however, especially if they do transformative shenanigans. Then if you compare it to BL, WT is just outclassed due to its narrowness. BL take care of everything WT does and more. Just
not at 1 mana and instant speed. WT "might" be good against sheep if he boards it in. BL IS good against sheep, FSP, AA, NVS and so on. Redundancy is the key. There must be a VERY good reason for me to want a narrow card over a broader one.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:22 pm

First off, you had exceptionally bad luck. Sorry about that.

Round 2

I strongly disagree with T2 YP$ over T2 EoT MJ. You need to hit a third land + white source or you are effectively down two cards in hand. He can also just kill YP$ and you get to trade 1 for 1 with no tokens left behind. There is also a good chance he plays T2 pack rat and you want to kill that thing at EoT, but now you`ll be forced to do it on upkeep (because you need to fix your draws to hit land). You`re basically praying he has no removal. It`s the greedier of the two available lines. I typed that
before watching what happened next and yeah, devour flesh is bad for you.

I think you should have magma jetted on your upkeep rather than attacking with the mutavault on T3 because you are losing tempo by not hitting that third turn land and your damage output is the same. You need to dig.

I disagree with paying for the sacred foundry. You have lightning strike up anyway. That boros charm can wait. Again, a small thing, but % points.

I can't support your keep. I know you were probably tired of mulliganing every game, but one landers (even with 2x shock) are going to bite you often. You got lucky and hit your land, but it could have just as easily gone the other way.

Blood Baron does not have to eat double shocks. You could have shocked at EoT (he goes to 9) Then skullcrack + shock (he's at 4, you have a skullcrack) and then he's dead to and 1 point of burn.

Why did you skullcrack on upkeep? I would wait until Attack or until he casts Obzedat. You're just letting him have more
information. There's a chance he plays a shock and taps out for Obzedat or whatever and you can capitalize on his misplay. He's got more to work with because you lost your element of surprise and broadcast that he would not be gaining life this turn. Try to give your opponents opportunities to misplay.

I think you definitely want stoke vs BBoV decks.

Again, I don't agree with YP$ before jet when you need to hit land drops.

I agree with strike + block brimaz.

Why did you skullcrack instead of just saccing the YP$ token? Or Lightning Strike + sac? Save the crack for when he whips brimaz.

Putting the second pyromancer into play rather than lightning striking the pack rat seems wrong to me. You have enough elementals to keep the demon locked down. Either way, the double mutavaults + whip puts you in all kinds of trouble.

Round 3

The first game vs Mono Black, I think convove > Stoke might have been better in case he had bile blight. If he did, you would
have come up short I think.

In the match where he has blood baron and 2 rats, I like the following line: Lightning Strike his face (he goes to four, you go to thirteen) you get you YP$ token. Block BBoV then shock your token (which replaces itself) and he gains no life. Then you just need and burn spell to win (because gryph would take him to 2). You would still get blown out by Drown in Sorrow, but that was not a card I was expecting to see, and under normal circumstances you wouldn't. In the end both line lose, but I think you get a few % points with the line I suggested.

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:28 pm

Lost my win and in at the super IQ to UW control. G1 he was on planar cleansing, game 2 he boards them out and brings in fiendslayers and d spheres.

Lost r1 to naya walkers
rd 2: beat mono g (splashing black)
rd 3: beat mono g
rd 4: beat jund monsters
r5: beat burn
r6: lost UW.

This is how the past 3 fucking IQs have gone for me. I lose round 1, battle back, then lose win and in for the ultimate tilts, walk out without even collecting prizes haha.
Sorry to hear that Purp. Still good performance I would say. I've come to like Ash Zealot as my anti-control SB card - lost way too many matches to stupid FSP. Worth considering?
MTGO handle: Clemens268

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:36 pm

@HK 1997 tbh I have yet to face a control player who doesn't bring in creatures post board. I do like BL, too. But I'm almost at the point where I think leaving in 1-2 CTTR is a pretty safe bet. What's your experience?

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Comparing your notes with mine (as well as add some of my own):

R1 - Not much here. SFD + YP is almost instawin vs GW

R2 G1
I agree that YP was the wrong play. I have found that the worst habit that I have moving from the Eidolon version is that I continually throw out YP and get him killed without it doing anything. You can do that with Eidolon since any removal still causes 2 points of damage. I got blown out doing this twice over the event. My thought would have been a Mutavault attack just to save cards and get in damage while I could.

I threw the Boros Charm for two reasons: I had two and only one source of white mana available and because I tend to prefer to throw player-only burn before ones that could potentially be used as removal. With chains in hand, I may need that white on a moment's notice later on to deal with a demon.

R2 G2
I don't see where I double shocked a BBoV. I did note that, on
T5 or so, I should have thrown out one of them to try and keep up the pressure. I still ended up one point short.

T5 I should have thrown a Shock to keep up pressure.

I think my train of thought on upkeep Skullcracks were to dissuade him from even trying an Obzedat. Given that I was going to have to use them on each turn anyway to stay alive, waiting might have been wiser.

Sideboarding - I immediately noted my inconsistencies when I watched the replay. I agree that I should have kept my full set of Stokes and cut Helixes instead.

R2 G3
Yep, I threw out the naked YP again. It survived this time but that doesn't make it right.

I Skullcracked to dissuade him from even trying Whip as well as to add the extra token in case I wanted a counterattack. I was still at 20 so I could afford to take the hit. It was a little loose.

I agree that dropping the second YP was in error. I should have taken down those rats. This play is probably what cost me the game.

R3 G1
I agree that I should
have just thrown the Stoke and Charm. I opened myself up to removal.

R3 G3
T2: Threw out yet another naked YP and got punished. That ended up being huge the way the game played out.

T5: I should have played the land in my hand in case he had more discard. I could have emptied it in response.

When I got into that situation with Drown in Sorrow (which I agree probably hoses me no matter what I do), the turn before I should have thrown a Strike at the Rat. He may not have tried to make more rats at that point, knowing that they would die to the Drown in his hand. I did not think of using the Shock as a pseudo Skullcrack, which also would have been better in that situation. I am kind of proud that I killed the BB with it, at least. Small moral victory.

T8: Should have traded Mutavaults to slow down the race.

In the end, I was indeed unlucky. I probably could have saved at least one of those game losses though. If I play smarter R2 G3, I may pull it out and not have to play the other BW
player in R3.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:09 pm

I still use a pair as a catch-all to deal with the various enchantment creatures, whips, bows and spheres not to mention the entirety of that new UR Ensoul deck that started cropping up. It usually ends up being a 1 mana "destroy target enchantment creature". I would only bring it in against UW if I saw a valid target beforehand. I am not a big fan of BL for such tasks as they can get the card back once they deal with your BL, while Wear/Tear just makes it go away.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:31 pm

Wear/Tear is better vs UW than BL imo. BL their Jace is a waste of a turn. I would much rather Wear/Tear their Dsphere to allow me to continue playing with my cards.

yurp yurp

HK1997

Postby HK1997 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:55 pm

@dauntless I usually keep 2 cttr in like you in g2 in addition to two BL

@purp wt is. Better at killing an enchantment. BL just isn't dead if he doesn't happen to play one.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 pm

Flamespeaker vs control? Seems that he just gets shut off by Jace or walled by Ram.
You do have to make it a priority to kill Jace (it's already a priority regardless of what you do) but Ram isn't an issue since it dies to any 3-4 point burn spell.

Mind you, I haven't personally gotten the plan to work yet but I'm also not a very good player at times.

It is nice that it makes fiendslayer paladin embarassingly bad against burn though.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:32 pm

@purp wt is. Better at killing an enchantment. BL just isn't dead if he doesn't happen to play one.
Agreed - you never know which version of control you end up playing against and from my understanding the 6-8 sweeper version is better against Monsters and Walker.decks so I'll image it gaining popularity fast (which is good for burn).

Clackerr
Newcomer

Postby Clackerr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:38 am

Here's what I've been running lately. Not too sure about the prophetic flamespeaker in the side, yet.

[deck="R/W Burn 18 July 2014"]
//Lands
3 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
1 Blind Obedience
4 Boros Charm
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Shock
4 Skullcrack
1 Stoke the Flames
4 Warleader's Helix

//Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
SB: 2 Mizzium Mortars
SB: 1 Chandra, Pyromaster
SB: 1 Glare of Heresy
SB: 2 Toil // Trouble
SB: 1 Wear // Tear
SB: 2 Eidolon of the Great Revel
SB: 1 Banishing Light
SB: 1 Pillar of Light
SB: 2 Hushwing Gryff
SB: 1 Celestial Flare
SB: 1 Prophetic Flamespeaker
[/deck]

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:37 am

Seems a bit all over the place but I guess you'll figure out what sideboard cards you like with your playstyle.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:26 am

Last Time
[deck=MDU's Post M15 Rw Burn (work in Progress) v0.1]Lands 23
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
2 Battlefield Forge
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Burns and Other 29
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
3 Shock
2 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
1 Mutavault
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Banishing Light
2 Pillar of Light
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Toil // Trouble
3 Hushwing Gryff[/deck]

I've always like the 6x Scry land approach (I find it amusing people thought it wouldn't work at first) so I'm glad more people are willing to try it, I have some concerns about running 2 Battlefield Forge because I fear killing myself vs aggro but since I'm running more 3cc spells I believe the extra
untapped lands will be vital.

I may go up too 12 W in the future (I have lots of W post board) and I'm considering running 2x Searing Bloods over 1x vaults and 1x Gryff from the sideboard - depending on the number of g and u devotion decks in the metagame.
I've uploaded the games with my original post-M15 list - they're rather bad but you can see them here <-- if you like these please sub or type out a comment (everything helps earn me some extra online credibility - even just typing thanks :P).
Last Time 2
I've got around testing the above list and ended up disliking the numbers, those games will be uploaded on Tuesday (based on future-land timezone) I've since adjusted the numbers into:

[deck=MDU's Post M15 Rw Burn (work in Progress) v0.2]Lands 23
n8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
2 Battlefield Forge
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Burns and Other 29
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
4 Shock
1 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
1 Stoke the Flames
2 Hushwing Gryff
2 Banishing Light
2 Pillar of Light
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Toil // Trouble
3 Mizzium Mortars[/deck]

Which I used too go 3-1 and 4-0 in two straight DEs - beating Jund Monster, RDW, Mirror, Ux Devo, Bx Devo and some random GW Aggro deck with new Ajani.

I played really sloppy (more so then usual because I still have modern in the brain) which caused me too drop a game vs control in the most obv. punted turn ever.

Anyhow the only three cards which I'll need to talk about which are:

2 Hushwing Gryff: They're basically Skullcrack with Wings, I don't
dislike them but having some ripped from your hand via LBZ is depressing - I use it vs Monster and Bx

1 Stoke the Flames: its an odd card considering I board it into every MU - but since the meta is quite diverse I can't really justify cutting Shock or CTTR - so i just leave it in the SB until I know what I'm playing against

2 Pillar of Light: for the extra cost is well worth the larger range of targets and Exile imo is huge.
I've currently tested 3 DE events with the above list going 3-1, 4-0 and 4-0 which will be up on Thursday, next week Monday then Wednesday (haven't dropped an event yet which is nice).

After crunching numbers I've finally arrive at this:

[deck=MDU's Rw Burn]Lands 23
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
2 Battlefield Forge
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Burns and Other 29
4 Chained
to the Rocks
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
4 Shock
1 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
1 Stoke the Flames
2 Hushwing Gryff
2 Banishing Light
2 Pillar of Light
2 Toil // Trouble
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Mizzium Mortars[/deck]

I'll test this tonight - but so far the SB'ing feels very smooth :)

This maybe my last standard game until mid next week due too other engagements so if things work out I'll post a rough SB'ing guide, which should come down just in time for your Wednesday or Friday night magic games.

EDIT: Changed Stroke into Stoke (thanks Val) and curse you copy-paste :argh:
Last edited by magicdownunder on Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Whole

Postby Whole » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:43 am

You do have to make it a priority to kill Jace (it's already a priority regardless of what you do) but Ram isn't an issue since it dies to any 3-4 point burn spell.

Mind you, I haven't personally gotten the plan to work yet but I'm also not a very good player at times.

It is nice that it makes fiendslayer paladin embarassingly bad against burn though.
Is it really worth it to try to kill Jace with burn? I usually just try to muscle through and burn him in the face...but again, I'm
having trouble with the MU so that might easily be why. What are y'all opinions? Is it usually best to burn or ignore Jace.

Also how is Pillar of Light for y'all? I'm still on Reprisal because I can't think of a 4 toughness creature that Reprisal doesn't hit...besides Courser, but is the 1 extra mana worth it for 1 card? Or do you guys also bring it in vs Mono Blue.

(I'm prepping for SCG Dallas, so I need to shore up the UW control matchup ASAP)

edit: Any videos of you guys facing UW control would be appreciated too. I'm currently watching four from MDU.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:53 am

@Whole: How much do you hate control? This is a real question.

You have two ways of winning:

1) Play One drops in the SB, get lucky and race

2) Sequence your spells better and do nothing but play spells on your Opp. turns (Kait who is a very strong player also mention this awhile ago), you can then follow up with T//T when they try and squeeze a rev under you.

Both require some SB dedication, plan 1 is easier to execute so I recommend it (even though I don't prefer it) - plan 2 will require that you get some more testing in.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:04 am

I didn't like Reprisal in my testing. FWIW Keeping Apparition is reasonable for a little extra power against control.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Whole

Postby Whole » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:29 am

@MDU, I notice in one game, you eot Magma Jet and see Phoenix and T//T (and you have a 3rd untapped source). You chose to put the Phoenix on top instead of T//T. I would've put T//T on top and went for a 6 damage T//T. So do you typically hold T//T and have it act as your extra answers to Rev (kind of like Skullcracks 5+) rather than yolo'ing it turn 3?

@Zem, do you dislike Reprisal and Pillar of Light, or did you mean Pillar of Light? If you didn't mistype and like Pillar over Reprisal, what are some extra targets that I'm missing (I can only think Courser worthwhile).

And do you guys typically try to Burn out or ignore early Jaces? Does it depend on if you have a creature or not? Because even when I have Phoenix beats, I typically accept that it's a 1/2 and keep burning their face. I guess if I start burning out early Jaces, I could start bringing in Flamespeakers.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:09 am

I prefer holding back T//T as my clutch vs tap out or Rev but like all things it depends on the situation - you won't find a sliver bullet or strategy, same goes for Jace.

Whole

Postby Whole » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:14 am

i just wish everything could be as easy as burn vs boss sligh and white weenie Q_Q

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:19 am

Just go with the creature plan if your don't have enough time too practice - having a T1 creature in your play just places you in an immediate solid position ;-) alternatively you can try Keeping Apparition like Z suggested since unlike the 1 drop it does have late game applications (sometimes).

I think its important to Keep in mind that just because some people don't enjoy a certain play style or strategy doesn't mean that it is bad one, because at the end of the day doesn't really matter how you win as long as you win.

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:58 am

Last Time
[deck=MDU's Post M15 Rw Burn (work in Progress) v0.1]Lands 23
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
2 Battlefield Forge
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Burns and Other 29
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
3 Shock
2 Stroke the Flames

Sideboard 15
1 Mutavault
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Banishing Light
2 Pillar of Light
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Toil // Trouble
3 Hushwing Gryff[/deck]

I've always like the 6x Scry land approach (I find it amusing people thought it wouldn't work at first) so I'm glad more people are willing to try
it, I have some concerns about running 2 Battlefield Forge because I fear killing myself vs aggro but since I'm running more 3cc spells I believe the extra untapped lands will be vital.

I've uploaded the games with my original post-M15 list - they're rather bad but you can see them here <-- if you like these please sub or type out a comment (everything helps earn me some extra online credibility - even just typing thanks :P).
Last Time 2
I've got around testing the above list and ended up disliking the numbers, those games will be uploaded on Tuesday
(based on future-land timezone) I've since adjusted the numbers into:

[deck=MDU's Post M15 Rw Burn (work in Progress) v0.2]Lands 23
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
2 Battlefield Forge
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Burns and Other 29
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
4 Shock
1 Stroke the Flames

Sideboard 15
1 Stroke the Flames
2 Hushwing Gryff
2 Banishing Light
2 Pillar of Light
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Toil // Trouble
3 Mizzium Mortars[/deck]

Anyhow the only three
cards which I'll need to talk about which are:

2 Hushwing Gryff: They're basically Skullcrack with Wings, I don't dislike them but having some ripped from your hand via LBZ is depressing - I use it vs Monster and Bx

1 Stroke the Flames: its an odd card considering I board it into every MU - but since the meta is quite diverse I can't really justify cutting Shock or CTTR - so i just leave it in the SB until I know what I'm playing against

2 Pillar of Light: for the extra cost is well worth the larger range of targets and Exile imo is huge.
I've currently tested 3 DE events with the above list going 3-1, 4-0 and 4-0 which will be up on Thursday, next week Monday then Wednesday (haven't dropped an event yet which is nice).

After crunching numbers I've finally arrive at this:

[deck=MDU's Rw Burn]Lands 23
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
Mutavault
2 Battlefield Forge
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Burns and Other 29
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
4 Shock
1 Stroke the Flames

Sideboard 15
1 Stroke the Flames
2 Hushwing Gryff
2 Banishing Light
2 Pillar of Light
2 Toil // Trouble
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Mizzium Mortars[/deck]

I'll test this tonight - but so far the SB'ing feels very smooth :)

This maybe my last standard game until mid next week due too other engagements so if things work out I'll post a rough SB'ing guide, which should come down just in time for your Wednesday or Friday night magic games.
3 Chandra, no extra Muta... Hmm, interesting

Whole

Postby Whole » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:58 am

It's just that I never got around to testing the matchup in general. I was spending the past few months shoring up Jund and then Mono Blue and kind of only now realized that straight UW is a problem after a few MTGO games and local tournament games (no one at my LGS plays straight UW). So I kind of bashed my head against a wall for a week, couldn't get anything to work, and now I'm here thinking my card choice is suboptimal (because I can't be a bad player!! /sarcasm)...only to find out I wasn't playing correctly. Honestly, I thought T//T was just a yolo 3 drop spell, I didn't think of saving it for Revs. (Well I did think of it, I just figured it'd be bad)

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:57 pm

I laugh when I see someone type "Stroke the Flame".
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:07 pm

I laugh when I see someone type "Stroke the Flame".
Whoops :rofl: I shall make the amendments

- - - - - - -

4-0'ed again taking down two fellow grinders in the process :jam:

This will be my last standard game for awhile - so if you have question ask them sooner rather then later.

Return to “Archives”