Primer: R/w/x Aggro

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:10 pm

After checking the most current rules (Nov 1st update) it appears that I and the judge were wrong.

504.3. Third, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities

Carry on.

montu

Postby montu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:05 pm

After checking the most current rules (Nov 1st update) it appears that I and the judge were wrong.

504.3. Third, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities

Carry on.
What's potentially confusing about this is "drawing a card" doesn't use the stack, so you're not responding to that.
504.1. First, the active player draws a card. This turn based action doesn’t use the stack.
But, as you point out above, players then get the opportunity to cast spells and activate abilities.

Trust me, the FIRST thing I did when I got home was look up the rules on this. :p

Anyway,
that's why I post my blunders, so that hopefully others don't repeat my goofs.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:41 pm

@Der Willie - plan seems fine but you aren't bringing in your Last Breath against anything, I'm guessing this is a mistake? :) It definitely needs to come in against MonoU :) I'd also consider run over Chandra against Rx aggro.

I notice that you're bringing in Helix against everything so I'd say its' worth looking at running it in the MD. I'd suggest moving Assemble to the SB - you're only keeping it in half the time and you don't HAVE to run a 4th 5 drop. Check out dauntless' list too if you are a fan of Helix :)

I personally like 2 Mortars against Esper for BB.

@montu - I REALLY appreciate that you share your blunders The part where you wrote that you tilt too easily and this then affects subsequent plays was sooo reassuring! I believe that our mindset affects every aspect of our lives but this is especially visible with MTGO - we have 'Rage Quit' on MTGO and 'Tilt' as a phrase in common usage as it is so prevalent. It also interests me how often we see our own mistakes seconds after making them! I think this is the main difference between being average and being good. I know for CERTAIN If I simply never made any mistakes - and I mean the type of mistake I'll notice a second after I've made it or that I spot easily when watching another play, not inspired wonder genius plays - I'd be a very good MTG player :) This is my goal for 2014 - technically pefect play :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:31 pm

@ everyone - you can definitely so stuff in the draw step as MTGO lets you :) I'd highly recommend playing on MTGO as it so clearly allows you to see the phases and steps.

@ Johnny - I like the Purphoros/Assemble combo in the deck you posted. YP seems incredibly slow in here don't you think? I haven't tested Firemane so this is just theory crafting (she was discussed earlier in the thread and I seem to remember someone did actually test her?) I would really like her to work but I don't think you can replace Selfie with her - Selfie has haste and fits nicely into the curve, Firemane is slower, no haste, needs battalion to shine, much worse top deck. I think Tajic is a better 4 drop if we need/can find space one. I actually think he would fit well into the list you posted?

I've been considering Aurelia's Fury but I think it is better
suited for RW Devo and I really like Spark Trooper a lot (a 12 point life swing is pretty huge) but I don't think he fits either TBH :(

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:52 am

I might test FMA in the Pyroskies shell... we'll see.
Last edited by Lightning_Dolt on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:54 am

I finally managed to find 2x non-selfie Skyknight Legionnaires. I have like a million back home, but they're hard to come by here for some reason. Maybe some people snapped them all up when they heard about the reprint / saw the new art (I hate the new art). That's what I did with CP.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:38 pm

Anyone have any spicy new SB tech? I'm pretty sure I don't want to change the main at this point. Discussion of SB options?

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:48 pm

Not sure how new or spicy this is Johnny but I think Wear/Tear and Glare Of Heresy are worth considering, primarily for the Esper Mid Range match up but they do have other applications.

Wear/Tear - Esper MidRange run DSphere and Whip so the chance of having a target may be high enough to warrant running a reactive SB card. Also hits Assemble, Spear, Hammer, Bident etc but I don't think any of those cards alone warrant bringing it in.

GoH - EXILES Obzedat :) DSphere and most of their team. Could also come in against UW Control as they have Elspeth and DSphere. GW has plenty of targets - think Voice, Smiter, Fleecemane, Courage so the card might warrant inclusion there.

Glare looks a better bet as it has broader applications - Esper Mid and GW are both popular right now.

With Esper Mid doing well at Shizuoka (
Glare would wreck the Orzhov deck that won too now I come to think of it) I'd expect everyone to either jump on board or hate it out; it might be worth checking the last few Standard tourneys to see if there are any trends in what sees play from one tourney to another.

EDIT - GoH sometimes exiles Obzedat, when they decide not to do it themselves :)
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:33 pm

If only Glare of Heresy were an instant, then it would REALLY help against Obzedat...
MTGO handle: Clemens268

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:55 pm

Glare also addresses fiendslayer paladin...

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:28 pm

If only Glare of Heresy were an instant, then it would REALLY help against Obzedat...
Good point! I had comvinced myself while typing that it was :) Wishful thinking at it's best :)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:00 am

I'm working on my 75 but I'm having trouble deciding between:

1 Assemble the Legion + 2 Last Breath or 2 Assemble the Legion + 1 Last Breath

and

1 [card]Wear // Tear[/card] or 1 Glare of Heresy

Assemble the Legion is good vs Rx, Gx and Bx while Last Breath is good vs Ux Devotion, Wx and Small Rx, I'm not sure I want it vs Esper Aggro though.

[card]Wear // Tear[/card] can 4-for-1 (since you can hit enchantments and artifacts at instant speed, proceed to free a creature and proceed to block - if that creature happens to be Boros Reckoner its a 5-for-1), Glare is however more flexible since it can hit creatures making less likely to be a dead draw).

So many
choices...

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:42 am

Wear and Glare are in the air :D Both the Pyrodragon decks that 4-0 ed the DE yesterday ran 2 of each in the board. Slightly excessive?

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:25 am

In my experience, Wear // Tear has been really good. I've been playing a 1 of in the sb all season, and bring it in against any deck with relevant targets. Playing 2-of against GW doesn't seem like a horrible idea, because it's damn hard for them to win w/out Courage.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:30 am

I saw those list, they were meta gaming hard - unless the number of Aura or GW list spiked up recently I wouldn't go that far, esp. since they decided to hurt the Ux, Rx and Gx MU for it (less mortars) and Bx (0 Skullcrack - though they're running 4x YP so it might not be needed).

That said I did mention before my last break Shock is looking rather good right now, which is why I liked PyroSkies and I'm glad PyroDragons is getting some online fame again.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:55 am

I have been saying this all along, but skullcrack is not necesary and at this point, I don't think Assemble is either. It is too slow to matter vs R/x and G/x devotion and B/x is already favourable. Assemble inly really looks good with Purphoros.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:09 am

Keep in mind J_S, those list which posted 4-0 are different to the "Boros Aggro" Archetype (they're the Pyro variant) - Boros Aggro due to 25 lands and 4 Dragons, no YP are weaker to Bx - I wouldn't say AtL or SC are bad at all for Boros Aggro - heck I had few game I won only because I drew said cards.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:13 am

I do think having wear//tear makes our UW matchup better than skullcrack does.

yurp yurp

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:45 am

Glare is better then Wear // Tear vs UW, Wear // Tear is arguably better vs Esper Aggro (due to whip + Dshpere) and Rw Devotion (Chains + Hammer), are they both better then SkullCrack? Depends on the MU and situation.

EoT Wear // Tear is nice though vs Control...

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:01 am

I'm going to test this:

[deck]
Sideboard (15)
1 Chained to the Rocks
3 Shock
1 Wear // Tear
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Last Breath
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
[/deck]

SB guide later.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:43 am

Ok I'm finally back, my CQ starts in two days and I barely scouted the meta or tested tweaks - here is the current list I'm rolling with:

[deck=MDU's Boros Aggro]Lands 25
11 Mountain
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 20
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Ash Zealot
2 Selfie Legionnaire
4 StormBreath Dragon

Enchantments 03
3 Chained to the Rocks

Instants 08
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet

Sorcery 02
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 02
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
2 Skullcrack
2 Boros Charm
2 Last Breath[/deck]
Thoughts on Skyknight Legionaire (1-2) vs Firedrinker Satyr (3-4), the Knight are a much better topdeck which drastically improves the Devotion
MUs - I strongly believe its worth lowing our odds of hitting a 1 drop on T1 by 11.3% esp. since the black and control MU are favorable (at least more so then aggressive devotion MUs) anyways.

I played one SE so far (SE 6586067) and went 3-0 beating Bx Devotion piloted by G0D_Like (top200 players and MOCS grinder), Dega Control and RWb Burn, I saw the blasted Whip against Bx and Dega, which made me wish my Glare of Heresy was [card]Wear // Tear[/card] - though I'm not going to change it since I expect UW Control, Esper Aggro and Rw Devotion to flock the CQ.

I'll post the videos (with the secret SB plans included) tomorrow :glee:.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Ok I'm finally back, my CQ starts in two days and I barely scouted the meta or tested tweaks - here is the current list I'm rolling with:

11 Mountain
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 20
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Ash Zealot
2 Selfie Legionnaire
4 StormBreath Dragon

Enchantments 03
3 Chained to the Rocks

Instants 08
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet

Sorcery 02
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 02
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
2 Skullcrack
2 Boros Charm
2 Last Breath[/deck]
Thoughts on [card]Skyknight
Legionaire[/card] (1-2) vs Firedrinker Satyr (3-4), the Knight are a much better topdeck which drastically improves the Devotion MUs - I strongly believe its worth lowing our odds of hitting a 1 drop on T1 by 11.3% esp. since the black and control MU are favorable (at least more so then aggressive devotion MUs) anyways.

I played one SE so far (SE 6586067) and went 3-0 beating Bx Devotion piloted by G0D_Like (top200 players and MOCS grinder), Dega Control and RWb Burn, I saw the blasted Whip against Bx and Dega, which made me wish my Glare of Heresy was [card]Wear // Tear[/card] - though I'm not going to change it since I expect UW Control, Esper Aggro and Rw Devotion to flock the CQ.

I'll post the videos (with the secret SB plans included) tomorrow :glee:.
You don't think [card]Shock[/card:
zw8955tu] is important? Also not sure what to think about Skullcrack / Boros Charm split. Either way, I look forward to the videos and wish you luck.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:02 pm

You don't think Shock is important? Also not sure what to think about Skullcrack / Boros Charm split. Either way, I look forward to the videos and wish you luck.
Cheers mate, I do believe Shock is important - but on MTGO Bx Devotion held the top two positions with the most finishes since its conception - thus I want to keep Skullcrack which deals 5+ Damage to them most of the time.

Gah, tomorrow happens to be MOCS1 Cube Queue, I should be playing Standard but the allure of 100% free (no entree fee since you pay in QPs) money is freaken strong , on that note anyone else from DtR gonna try for MTGO CQ? its $15 entree fee so its not too bad.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:52 pm

You don't think Shock is important? Also not sure what to think about Skullcrack / Boros Charm split. Either way, I look forward to the videos and wish you luck.
Cheers mate, I do believe Shock is important - but on MTGO Bx Devotion held the top two positions with the most finishes since its conception - thus I want to keep Skullcrack which deals 5+ Damage to them most of the time.

Gah, tomorrow happens to be MOCS1 Cube Queue, I should be playing Standard
but the allure of 100% free (no entree fee since you pay in QPs) money is freaken strong :grrr:, on that note anyone else from DtR gonna try for MTGO CQ? its $15 entree fee so its not too bad.
http://mtgo-stats.com/

19% Mono Black
14% Mono Blue
11% RW Devo
9% Esper Mid
6% UW Control
5% BW Control
3% W/b Aggro
3% GW Aggro
3% RDW
2% Boros DW
2% Esper Control
1% GR Monsters
1% BR Aggro

Don't you want shock versus half the meta?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:11 pm

The Entree Fee is $15 the general public should avoid the event or get weeded out (I think, but the last few PE's I watched didn't prove this theory) - I'm hoping it will be like MOCS, just the top lists over and over (but since this is a qualifier so anyone with $$ can play it so I don't really know) either way I'm sure the tier1 deck will overwhelm the tier1.5 ones, thus I'm still gonna go with SkullCrack over Shock.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:24 pm

The Entree Fee is $15 the general public should avoid the event or get weeded out (I think, but the last few PE's I watched didn't prove this theory) - I'm hoping it will be like MOCS, just the top lists over and over (but since this is a qualifier so anyone with $$ can play it so I don't really know) either way I'm sure the tier1 deck will overwhelm the tier1.5 ones, thus I'm still gonna go with SkullCrack over Shock.
I hope you're right. Even at PTQ's / GP's I see aggro decks... hope it'll be ok.

I tested your main deck with my board tonight, seemed ok. Selfie is the only real change, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

I'm still not sold on Assemble. I prefer Elspeth. She has immediate impact. Both her modes are
relevant. Even if she gets HD'd she eats that removal to make way for other threats. Assemble is just so slow.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:26 pm

I can't convince you to play this?:

[deck]
Sideboard (15)
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
3 Skullcrack *
2 Last Breath
1 Wear // Tear[/deck]

* Or Shock! :unibrow: :unibrow: :unibrow:

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm liking how these lists are starting to look. The top two placings at the PTQ were mono blue, I am not convinced we need boros charm.

I don't understand how Glare of Heresy is better than wear and tear... Could someone please explain?

yurp yurp

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:13 pm

I'm liking how these lists are starting to look. The top two placings at the PTQ were mono blue, I am not convinced we need boros charm.

I don't understand how Glare of Heresy is better than wear and tear... Could someone please explain?
Fiendslayer Paladin, Boros Reckoner, Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Obzedat, Archangel of Thune, Heliod, Ajani, Voice, Trostani.....

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Fiendslayer Paladin, Boros Reckoner, Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Obzedat, Archangel of Thune, Heliod, Ajani, Voice, Trostani.....
1 - not an issue
2 - chained to the rocks deals with this since it cant hit stormbreath...
3 - ok, maybe. she's not that hard to deal with
4 - good players blink obzedat
5 - 6 - don't see enough to play
7 - matchup is pretty cake already, but it is good in the WW matchup all together
8 - not really an issue
9 - who?

2 wear / 1 glare seems better

yurp yurp

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:41 pm

Feindslayer IS a problem. Glare is a clean answer to what is otherwise a brick wall. It is infinitely better than chained vs Uw/x. Elspeth is tge main win con for U/W. If you exile it, they should scoop. Having extra ways to deal with reckoner / chains isn't bad either.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:36 pm

Ok I stand corrected. I do like that it significantly increases our WWx matchup.

yurp yurp

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:51 pm

@MDU what time will the QC be tomorrow in American time? You going to live stream it for us bored at work?

yurp yurp

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:32 am

@MDU what time will the QC be tomorrow in American time? You going to live stream it for us bored at work?
Not possible, I would be willing to LIVE Stream SE, 2-Man or DE but when it a PE or greater its not worth risking screen sniping.

@J_S: I like siding out lands when I run Assembles, that plan won't work when your running Elspeth, Sun's Champion - I do like however like the Glare of Heresy + Wear // Tear in the SB, just not as a 2/1 I rather 1/1 (I dislike running P. Needle like cards in Red based list).

- - - - - - - - - - - - --

11 Mountain
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 20
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Ash Zealot
n2 Selfie Legionnaire
4 StormBreath Dragon

Enchantments 03
3 Chained to the Rocks

Instants 08
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet

Sorcery 02
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 02
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
2 Skullcrack
2 Boros Charm
2 Last Breath[/deck]
Well here is the report as promised: SE 6586067
Standard Elimination R1: Boros Aggro vs Bx Devotion Event (6586067) <- Piloted by 1900+ MOCS grinder
Standard Elimination R2: Boros Aggro vs RWb Burn Event (6586067)
Standard Elimination R3: Boros Aggro vs RWB Control Event (6586067)

I decided to skip the Cube Sealed event and played another SE which I went 3-0, vs Esper Control, piloted by a top200 player, Rw Aggro piloted by a DtR member and Split.

Thoughts:
[card]Wear // Tear[/card] is very tempting, I feel that it makes boarding slightly harder though.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:23 am

Vs mono black:

-2 SBD, -2 MJ
+2 MM, +1 C2TR, +1 E,SC

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:03 am

@MDU - nice to have you back :) I'm enjoying these as much as ever :)

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:43 pm

Great videos as always.

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Hey MDU, nice vids. Against Mono-Black you sided out two white sources, then put a load of white cards in! Is it not right to take out Mountains or Mutavaults instead?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:20 am

Hey MDU, nice vids. Against Mono-Black you sided out two white sources, then put a load of white cards in! Is it not right to take out Mountains or Mutavaults instead?
I'm just really greedy, cutting one Vaults and Mountain over the gates would be the correct call.

EDIT: Toddington, just wondering where did you find my videos? Was it from this site or somewhere else?

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:37 am

I went to Wednesday night magic tonight.

[deck=Boros' Angels]
Creatures (18)
3 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells (14)
1 Assemble the Legion
3 Chain to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers (3)
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Land (25)
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Mutavault
11 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
1 Assemble the Legion
3 Boros Reckoner
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Firedrinker Satyr
2 Last Breath
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Skullcrack
2 Warleader's Helix
1 Wear // Tear
[/deck]

Only 3 dragons and reckoners because that's all I have. I wanted to test this build out before I made any changes to it.

Round 1 vs [mana]RG[/mana] Devotion

Game 1[/b:
2c953vr5] - I was lucky because I went first and was able to make my dragon a 7/7 before he did. That ended up winning me the game.

Game 2 - My opening hand was full of burn and his deck just went off. I couldn't get his Domri Rade off the field quick enough and when I did, it was quickly replaced.

Game 3 - I think I was able to beat him down pretty quickly with this one.

2-1 win

Sideboard
IN: 3 Boros Reckoner, 1 Chained to the Rocks, 2 Mizzium Mortars, 2 [card]Warleader's Helix[/card] and something
OUT: 3 Firedrinker Satyr, 4 Rakdos Cackler, 2 Chandra, Pyormaster

Round 2 vs Naya Midrange

Game 1 - He was mana screwed
for too long and I was able to finish the game quickly. Apparently he had 3 dragons in hand. I wouldn't have been able to handle that.

Game 2 - A closer game, but I'm able to wipe his field of Voice of Resurgence token, Fleecemane Lion, and Runic Thar with an Unflinching Courage on him with 2 Boros Reckoner and a Mutavault. Muta block token, reckoners double block Runic 1 redirects back to him, the other redirects to the lion. After that, I drew some little guys and mutavaultfinished the game.

Win 2-0

Sideboard
IN: 3 Boros Reckoner, 1 Chained to the Rocks, 2 Mizzium Mortars, 2 [card]Warleader's Helix[/card] and
something

Round 3 vs Homebrew Dega Burn

Game 1 - We're racing and I'm recurring my phoenixes like crazy. I could have won this game if I hadn't let him change what his Boros Charm did after I blew up his Elspeth. He thought indestructibility would protect her. He ends up casting 4 [card]Warleader's Helix[/card] during the game which was enough to keep him alive. He burns me out in the end.

Game 2 - Completely misjudged his deck and got burned out pretty quickly. I thought he was a red aggro deck so I sideboarded wrong.

Loss 0-2

Sideboard
IN: 3 Boros Reckoner, 1 [card]Chained to the Rocks[/card:
2c953vr5], 2 Mizzium Mortars, 2 [card]Warleader's Helix[/card] and something

Round 4 vs Esper Control

Game 1 - 1, 2, 3 curve out into a dragon. He was steam rolled.

Game 2 - I mulled to 6 while he kept. I end up being greedy and he wipes my board and kills my third land a mutavault. For the next 5, 6, 7, fuck if I know how long, it felt like forever, turns I do not draw a single land. Despite this, I'm able to keep pressure on him and build my land back up to 7. I win the game with a monsterous dragon killing his Jace while I have an Assemble the Legion on the field.

Win, 2-0

Sideboard
IN: 1 Firedrinker Satyr, 2 [
card]Skullcrack[/card], 2 [card]Warleader's Helix[/card]
OUT: 3 Chained to the Rocks, 2 Mizzium Mortars

Round 5 vs Jund... Something (Different than what I normally go against)

Game 1 - He was color screwed. I was not.

Game 2 - He was mana screwed a bit less, but I still pushed through.

Win 2-0

Sideboard (I figured I was the beat down against him)
IN: 1 Firedrinker Satyr, 1 Assemble the Legion , 1 Chained to the Rocks
OUT: 1Magma Jet, 1 Lightning Strike, 1 Chained to the Rocks

So, I got lucky a few times and managed to take 2nd. The deck seems
to run pretty well. The guild gates were running better than I had hoped, but ick, part of me wishes they were Clifftop Retreat or something else.

Return to “Archives”