[Primer] PyroRed

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:27 am

I watched your games Lazerburn your choice in music is godly like always - G1, G3 and G4 were fine (I like how you dealt with DD this time round) - I think you had a shot at winning G2 but you gave up R1 too early and your SB were odd.

Anyhows:

[deck=MDU's PyroSkies]Lands 23
11 Mountain
1 Boros Guildgate
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 18
3 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Young Pyromancer
2 Selfie Legionnaire
2 StormBreath Dragon

Enchantments 04
3 Chained to the Rocks
1 Legion's Initiative

Instants 11
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Shock

Sorcery 02
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 02
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
3 Skullcrack
2 Boros Charm
2 Fanatic of Mogis
2 Last Breath[/deck]

I haven't changed anything yet (this was a game from last week) but I will swap
FoM for Vaults + Dragon.

Standard Elimination Report 6530906
Standard Elimination R1: PyroSkies vs Boss Red Event (6530906)
Standard Elimination R2: PyroSkies vs Rg Devotion Event (6530906)
Standard Elimination R3: PyroSkies vs Rw Devotion Event (6530906)

Championship Qualifiers are on from January 8, 12:00 AM PST, through January 14, running every 3 hours (format standard). I hope to see you guys playing in the Championship with me (yeah, I'm bold enough to state that I'll win at least one of these darn events).

I haven't pick a deck yet but its mostly going to be either Boros Aggro (Boros legions), PyroSkies or Warleader Boros (by dauntless268) - I think your bigger version is better then small - I'll write up suggestion and explanation for your list later when I get a chance, also 1800 rank is good - my mates in top200 jump from 1800-1900+ all the time (me as well, but I'm not in top200 :sneaky: ) if you can, please post your card explanations first on Big Boros thread.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:30 am

I too played in the big championship yesterday as Raida, however I did not have as good of a finish. Went 4-2 in the swiss then lost in top 8, finishing 7th.

[deck]Lands 23
1 Boros Guildgate
11 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 18
3 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Young Pyromancer
2 Skyknight Legionnaire
1 StormBreath Dragon

Enchantments 04
2 Chained to the Rocks

Instants 11
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock

Sorcery 02
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 FotF

Planeswalkers 02
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
3 Skullcrack
2 Boros Charm
1 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Last Breath[/deck]

R1 Mono Black piloted by
JT Henricks - well known player in atlanta

G1: He sees 2 garys and 2 pharikas cure
G2 and G3: I just win.

1-0

R2 Esper MIdrange piloted by James - well known player in atlanta

G1: i nut draw
G2: play removal, win with 2 legionnaires

2-0

R3 WW(red) piloted by Connor

G1: He win
G2: I remove his guys and win
G3: I lost, but this game almost had me on tilt.
My hand is: Mountain, Reckoner, 3 Magma Jet, 2 Lightning Strikes... I was on the draw. Would yall have kept this?
Didn't draw land for four turns.

2-1

R4 GR Monsters by Michael

G1: Burn him out
G2: He sees 2 dragons
G3: Grindy match I end up winning with top deck chained

3-1

R5 BR piloted by Raida
G1: He curves out
G2: I remove his guys
G3: He drops a whip... I contemplated just siding in all my skullcrack and charms and just try to burn him out, wishing I had done that.

3-2

R6 WW(black) by Marcus - Win and In
G1: All removal I win
G2: He has mad doom blades
G3: I just remove his guys and win.

4-

Top 8 - Esper by Daniel - This was a very anti aggro build. No azorious charms, instead he had ultimate prices and last breaths.
G1: He sees 2 verdicts, 3 jaces, and 3 dspheres,
G2: I mull to 4.

4-3

Ended in 7th place. Overall deck was ok, Ash zealot is just amazing, Young Pyro was not too impressive. I think I am going to be playing Big Boros or BR at next weekends PTQ. Big Boros being weaker to WW has me scared to play it though.

Top 8 pic, me far left and raida in middle
- - - - - - - -

Sorry, I ninja'ed your post by mistake so I'm going to move it into this page - excellent report, shame about esper in top8 - how does he intend to be beat Bx and other control without charm???

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:42 am

He said he felt fairly favored vs Bx still. The other control deck in the top 8 was the UB control from the GP Shiz.

Overall I played well, no misplays. The only thing I question was my keep in round 3, g3.

yurp yurp

Volition
Newcomer

Postby Volition » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:46 am

Hey guys,

I did some playtesting post board vs mono blue today for about 2 hours, and was completely annihilated over and over. Through Bident, Jace, thassa and Master of waves, i just feel there is absolutely no way to come through ahead against this matchup. I looked through the videos on the last few pages, and couldnt see any vs Mono U. I dont want this to be seen as an over-reaction or me going "waa waa i lose", but I feel that their card advantage is just too much. Maybe i am playing the matchup too passively? I won 1 game in 2 hours due to him getting so mana flooded it was ridiculous

For reference here is my list (and i will say my sideboarding plans below)

[deck]
Lands 23
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
11 Mountain
1 Boros Guildgate

Creatures
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Stormbreath Dragon

Planeswalkers
3 Chandra,
Pyromaster

Enchants
4 Chained to the Rocks

Young pyromancer fuel
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Shock
2 Mizzium Mortars

Sideboard
3 Skullcrack
2 Last Breath
2 Fanatic of Mogis
3 Boros Reckoner
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Mizzium Mortars
2 Peak Eruption[/deck]

Out - 6 x 1 drops and 3 shocks and 1 young pyromancer
2 Last Breath, 3 Reckoner, 2 Fanatic, 1 mortars and 2 anger of the gods

After writing it here, I think taking the young pyromancer out isn't ideal, but i doubt the 1 card would have changed our matchup. His sideboarding plan i came to understand included a lot of negates, but no domesticate (or if he had it he left it in the board, as it was pretty obvious it wasnt a normal red beatdown deck).

What am i thinking in this matchup? Should i be trying to keep his board clear? That strategy for me seemed to go alright, until he got either bident, jace or thassa, at which time he incrementally pulled ahead.

Am I just approaching the sideboard the wrong way, and should be
leaving the cacklers in and trying to get lucky and beat him down? Thanks in advance, i feel a little lost.
Standard: No thanks. A game based on who can curve out the best doesnt really appeal to me.
Modern: Jund. dabbling on the side with esper mentor and grixis delver. I miss treasure cruise
Legacy: Not even I hate myself that much

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:21 pm

Ux Devotion is a hard MU because sometimes they will just have hands which you just can't beat, don't let it get to you.

I'm not sure if this will help your moral or not but when I first faced Ux Devotion my winrate was just on 50% sometime less, through more experience and adding more flyer I can now say I have a very positive winrate against them (but sometimes they'll just beat me, it happens) could you share your current SB plan?

EDIT: I need to learn to read, I can't recommend Reckoner in this MU because if he get stolen its a huge beating - I wouldn't cut Shock either since its so important, I'm rather surprised your getting beaten so badly if your only testing preboard because your MD is solid vs them.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:23 pm

@ Volition - Check the Primer - 1st page of the thread - there are lots of MonoU vids. There is also a match up guide and SB guides :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:18 pm

I watched your games Lazerburn your choice in music is godly like always - G1, G3 and G4 were fine (I like how you dealt with DD this time round) - I think you had a shot at winning G2 but you gave up R1 too early and your SB were odd.

Anyhows:

[deck=MDU's PyroSkies]Lands 23
11 Mountain
1 Boros Guildgate
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 18
3 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Young Pyromancer
2 Selfie Legionnaire
2 StormBreath Dragon

Enchantments 04
3 Chained to the Rocks
1 Legion's Initiative

Instants 11
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Shock

Sorcery 02
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 02
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
Boros Reckoner
3 Skullcrack
2 Boros Charm
2 Fanatic of Mogis
2 Last Breath[/deck]

I haven't changed anything yet (this was a game from last week) but I will swap FoM for Vaults + Dragon.

Standard Elimination Report 6530906
Standard Elimination R1: PyroSkies vs Boss Red Event (6530906)
Standard Elimination R2: PyroSkies vs Rg Devotion Event (6530906)
Standard Elimination R3: PyroSkies vs Rw Devotion Event (6530906)

Championship Qualifiers are on from January 8, 12:00 AM PST, through January 14,
running every 3 hours (format standard). I hope to see you guys playing in the Championship with me :smileup: (yeah, I'm bold enough to state that I'll win at least one of these darn events).

I haven't pick a deck yet but its mostly going to be either Boros Aggro (Boros legions), PyroSkies or Warleader Boros (by dauntless268) - I think your bigger version is better then small - I'll write up suggestion and explanation for your list later when I get a chance, also 1800 rank is good - my mates in top200 jump from 1800-1900+ all the time (me as well, but I'm not in top200 :sneaky: ) if you can, please post your card explanations first on Big Boros thread.
Left this comment on Youtube, but worth mentioning here. Regarding game two of the second match,

@15:20 I'm wondering if blocking
Fanatic with Mutavault and BTE with the two tokens would have been a better play. He had one mana open and may have been eager to get an extra damage in with the Weird, allowing you a free kill on it with Lightning Strike. That way you could have kept the second Lightning Strike in hand to get a kill on the other one when it tried to pump and would also be up a couple of tokens. Even if he didn't pump in response to no blocks you would have taken the same amount of damage in my scenario, with the only difference being his higher devotion count. I don't think his devotion count is relevant at that point anyway with no cards in hand. If he topdecks Fanatic, oh well.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:28 pm

Hey guys,

I did some playtesting post board vs mono blue today for about 2 hours, and was completely annihilated over and over. Through Bident, Jace, thassa and Master of waves, i just feel there is absolutely no way to come through ahead against this matchup. I looked through the videos on the last few pages, and couldnt see any vs Mono U. I dont want this to be seen as an over-reaction or me going "waa waa i lose", but I feel that their card advantage is just too much. Maybe i am playing the matchup too passively? I won 1 game in 2 hours due to him getting so mana flooded it was ridiculous

For reference here is my list (and i will say my sideboarding plans below)

[deck]
Lands 23
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of
Triumph
11 Mountain
1 Boros Guildgate

Creatures
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Stormbreath Dragon

Planeswalkers
3 Chandra, Pyromaster

Enchants
4 Chained to the Rocks

Young pyromancer fuel
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Shock
2 Mizzium Mortars

Sideboard
3 Skullcrack
2 Last Breath
2 Fanatic of Mogis
3 Boros Reckoner
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Mizzium Mortars
2 Peak Eruption[/deck]
Out - 6 x 1 drops and 3 shocks and 1 young pyromancer
2 Last Breath, 3 Reckoner, 2 Fanatic, 1 mortars and 2 anger of the gods

After writing it here, I think taking the young pyromancer out isn't ideal, but i doubt the 1 card would have changed our matchup. His sideboarding plan i came to understand included a lot of negates, but no domesticate (or if he had it he left it in the board, as it was pretty obvious it wasnt a normal red beatdown deck).

What am i thinking in this matchup? Should i be trying to keep his board
clear? That strategy for me seemed to go alright, until he got either bident, jace or thassa, at which time he incrementally pulled ahead.

Am I just approaching the sideboard the wrong way, and should be leaving the cacklers in and trying to get lucky and beat him down? Thanks in advance, i feel a little lost.
What are your approach to that match up? I see that you go to the devotion plan with the Boros Reckoner and the Fanatic, but how you play the match up? Racing them? Control the board presence?

I play with Pyroboros no dragon's (my decklist is last page) and since I don't board in the Boros Reckoner I was something like 8-2 against Mono U. My strategy (and the only I can figure that can win Mono U since they play Domestication) is keeping then out of devotion. So for that the 2 best cards in Boros are Mizzium Mortars and Chained to the Rocks. My plain against them is:
1st - Keep them out of devotion
2nd- Racing them (in the late game they
will have better options). I play it like some control tempo deck.
So for my plan can work I have already 2x Mizzium Mortars and 2x Chained to the rocks in Mainboard and post sideboard I will have the full playset of both. I sideboard out 4x 1 drop (if I see black I usually keep Cackler, If I don't see I sometimes keep Fyredrinker that I don't dislike in this matchup). Mizzium can take out the weird with only one card and the spectre to. Remember if Thassa Swings you are in a super small clock, so we can't let them have devotion. In my version with no dragons I don't play Last Breath, but in your version it can be very good.

My advice to you is let Boros Reckoner out of this game, because a Domestication on it and you can't deal with it very well, will be something like a 3 for 1 ( :( ). So if you don't sideboard in Boros Reckoner leave the Devotion Plan and the Fanatic at all and you can replace that 2 places in your
sideboard with another card. I like the shock in this matchup, it can deal with only 1 or 2 creatures, but it's some more removal.

I hope I can help you somehow, but remember that you have to build a strategy to this matchup that you like, fix in your style of play and works well with you. Another card that people side in against Mono U is the old Rod of Ruin. It don't fix in my list but in your can be a good add.
Legacy: IZZET DELVER ; BURN
Modern: TEMPO TWINS ; UR STORM ; BURN
Standard: Work in Progress

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Keeping them out of devotion is the right approach, but it needs to be complemented with something that closes out a game in reasonable time. I find the best card against them is Stormbreath Dragon, followed by a Chandra, Pyromaster if indeed the board is clear.

Re: racing them: I've tried it, but at least for me it has never worked out. Just imagine you're both in Topdeck mode, you have a lone Rakdos Cackler and they have a lone Tassa. Chances are you'll still lose, as they essentially draw two cards each turn of which they choose to keep one. So my advice would be to swap 1-drops against removal, and for those lists not running Stormbreath, consider bringing it in from the board along with an extra land or so.
MTGO handle: Clemens268

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:33 pm

And here we go again, Another day, another daily :) Still wonder what I'm thinking of at some points watching these back but I'm REALLY enjoying playing and slowly but surely I'm improving :) I'll be kinda sad to get back to normality after the Xmas break! :)

Anyway, here's the list :)
MDU's PyroSkies tweaked by LaZer
[deck=MDU's PyroSkies tweaked by LaZer]Lands 23
12 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 18
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Young Pyromancer
2 Skyknight
Legionnaire
2 StormBreath Dragon

Enchantments 04
3 Chained to the Rocks

Instants 11
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Shock

Sorcery 02
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 02
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
3 Skullcrack
2 Boros Charm
1 Mutavault
1 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Last Breath[/deck]
And here's the replays :)

DE6488885 R1 G1 Vs RWDevo
DE6488885 R1 G2 Vs RWDevo
DE6488885 R1 G3 Vs RWDevo
DE6488885 R2 G1 Vs EsperMidrange
DE6488885 R2 G2 Vs EsperMidrange
DE6488885 R3 G1 Vs Red
DE6488885 R3 G2 Vs Red
DE6488885 R4 G1 Vs Esper
DE6488885 R4 G2 Vs Esper
DE6488885 R4 G3 Vs Esper

RedEyesBlackGamer
Newcomer

Postby RedEyesBlackGamer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:12 am

So I've hit a bit of a rut with PyroWhite. I've played it a ton. I think I need to take a break from it. Re-enter PyroBlack. :evillol:
[deck]
Back in Black
Creatures (20)
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Ash Zealot
1 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
1 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells (15)
3 Shock
3 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Dreadbore
2 Ultimate Price
1 Flames of the Firebrand
Waifu
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands (23)
4 Rakdos Guildgate
4 Blood Crypt
2 Mutavault
2 Swamp
11 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
1 Doom Blade
2 Boros Reckoner
3 Mizzium Mortars
1 Dreadbore
3 Skullcrack
1 Hammer of Purphoros
4 Firedrinker Satyr
[/deck]
The only changes from my last list are -1 Exava, +1 Dragon in the main and -3 Toil, -1 Doom Blade, -1 Ultimate Price, +3 Mortars,+2
Reckoner in the board. Also thinking about -1 YP, -1 Tymaret and adding two Pack Rat to the deck. Probably not, though. I'll try this out over the next week.
Reasoning: I found Exava clunky at 3 at times and Dragon is just really good in our rougher matchups. There is no reason to not run Reckoner and Mortars in some number. Toil//Trouble is cute, but Mortars has a bigger impact in more matchups. This deck didn't really need 8 terrors. Reckoner is often a better card than a Terror in the matchups where you bring him in.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:23 am

Funny you say that about Exava. I was beginning to think the same thing.

Pyreheart Bezerra

Postby Pyreheart Bezerra » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:05 pm

Yep, went black too. Played this list the past couple Wednesday nights 5-4 over 3 weeks. I feel 2 of those losses from misplays on my part and unfamiliarity with certain matchups.

[deck]SlightlypyroBlack[/deck]

Still working on the Temple/Mutavault Ratios. Need to practice and refine because I would like to play this at a PTQ the weekend of January 11th. Pack Rat over Young Pyromancer is the major point of interest. Pack rat has that ability to just steamroll
certain decks. And did so many times. Will look for my notes but I remember my losses being against Rg Devotion(due to misplay, mis-prioritizing their threats), BG Midrange, and Esper mainboarding Bloodbarons.

Tier 2 Member of Fires of Salvation.

Mountain Mage since 7/12

Check out my Limited Articles @ CardAgain!

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:33 pm

Pyre, I think your list belongs in the R/B list since you dropped YP$

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

amcfvieira

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Postby amcfvieira » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:47 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR FOR ALL :D

Legacy: IZZET DELVER ; BURN
Modern: TEMPO TWINS ; UR STORM ; BURN
Standard: Work in Progress

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:52 am

What thread does that belong in?
Sig by NBW.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:13 am

Left this comment on Youtube, but worth mentioning here. Regarding game two of the second match,

@15:20 I'm wondering if blocking Fanatic with Mutavault and BTE with the two tokens would have been a better play. He had one mana open and may have been eager to get an extra damage in with the Weird, allowing you a free kill on it with Lightning Strike. That way you could have kept the second Lightning Strike in hand to get a kill on the other one when it tried to pump and would also be up a couple of tokens. Even if he didn't pump in response to no blocks you would have taken the same amount of damage in my scenario, with the only difference being his higher devotion count. I don't think his devotion count is relevant at that point anyway with no cards in hand.
If he topdecks Fanatic, oh well.
Thanks for the post, and your very correct - the line your posted would of been much better (based on this plays he would of most likely pumped his weird) I took the better safe and sorry approach but since I was rather behind it may of been better to take more risk.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:08 am

What thread does that belong in?
This one, where we like to party :jam: :jam: :jam: :jam:

Just messin. Appreciate the best wishes, but this is the competitive thread and freedom is right. That sort of stuff belongs in the clan thread.

Pyreheart Bezerra

Postby Pyreheart Bezerra » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:45 am

@Tyrael I would contend that it still plays like Pyrowhite and Pyrored. Instead of "casting a spell" to create the token, we are discarding the spell to create a token. I dunno? Otherwise It is the same except for those 3 slots.

More or less what do you guys think about Pack Rat vs. Young Pyromancer. Do they belong in the same list or are they mutually exclusive? I have been waffling on putting the Pyromancer back in, both are just win games.

Tier 2 Member of Fires of Salvation.

Mountain Mage since 7/12

Check out my Limited Articles @ CardAgain!

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:06 am

I realize this might be heresy, but would it make sense to play Ash Zealot over YP$ in the PyroSkies variants?

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:28 am

Also, has anyone tested Firemane Avenger over Selfie Legionaire?

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback on my vids Johnny, much appreciated :)

I wouldn't replace YP with Ash as in the current MTGO meta (WWx, Esper Mid, RDW, MonoB) YP is simply better. I like the extra lines of play etc :) I certainly don't think it's heretical to consider it though - the constant questioning and re-evaluating is essential :)

Selfie fits into the Ash slot smoothly - she's slower and loses the first strike but the extra power and evasion balances it out. She tends to get killed on sight too which is always a sign that a card is decent! :)

Firemane is interesting. My
first reaction is that her cost and the lack of haste are not offset enough by the occasional blow-outs she'll give you but with all the YP tokens maybe I'm wrong. I'm going to do more DE's over the next few days before real life returns on Monday so I'll keep track of how often she would be better/worse than Selfie and report :)

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:55 pm

Here we go again :) Another DE in my ongoing quest to defeat my greatest enemy - myself, stop making mistakes and raise my DE results from 2-2 to 3-1 :)

I'm sticking with MDU's PyroSkies as I think it is the best choice in the current meta and I really like playing it! :) Today I'm going with a MD FotF (for Esper Mid and MonoB) over an FDS. The SB plan remains the same :)
MDU's PyroSkies tweaked by LaZer
[deck=MDU's PyroSkies tweaked by LaZer]Lands 23
12 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 18
3 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
Chandra's Phoenix
3 Young Pyromancer
2 Skyknight Legionnaire
2 StormBreath Dragon

Enchantments 04
3 Chained to the Rocks

Instants 11
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Shock

Sorcery 02
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Flames Of The Firebrand

Planeswalkers 02
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
3 Skullcrack
2 Boros Charm
1 Mutavault
1 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Last Breath[/deck]
EDIT - I went 2-2 again - blah :( I then played another and went ... yep you guessed it 2-2 - more blah :( Little point in posting the vids really. Currently considering wrapping it up at the w/end - partly as I'm fed up of being average and partly 'cos I can't afford to keep playing if I never win - but the grumps may pass.
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

agrevall
Newcomer

Postby agrevall » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:20 pm

Very well done! Good to see all these positive results coming in!

I personally think real time commentary is the best thing about MDU's vids (and the music obviously). Just getting an insight into certain decisions - whether they be plays, scrying or mulligans, has improved my game massively.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:53 pm

I know lack of YP$ Makes this list not really belong here, but this is what i had in mind:

Boros Aggro

[deck]Creatures:18
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot *
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells:19
3 Chained to the Rocks
3 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Flames of the Firebrand
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands:23
1 Boros Guildgate
12 Mountain
2 Mutavault **
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard:15
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Wear // Tear
3 Boros Charm
2 Last Breath
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Skullcrack
3 Boros Reckone[/deck]

* Could easily be YP$ but I think I still like Ashley better. I might change my mind before tomorrow. Skyknight Legionnaire is so nostalgic.

** Playing in team unified constructed tomorrow. Have to split the vaults with our mono U player.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:16 pm

Ashley is just amazing.

yurp yurp

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:51 pm

Ashley is just amazing.
I didn't side a copy out in 13 rounds at the GP. I'm trying to build on what I learned there. Is there a more appropriate place to discuss Boros Aggro, since it isn't playing YP$?

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:03 pm

I've been playing with both YP$ and Ash Zealot and have loved it. If it's one or the other for you, it's YP$. Not having him in your deck drops your chances against mono black significantly and that's the biggest deck in the meta right now. To not hedge for that matchup is ludicrous.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:20 pm

Well I played an Ashley and YP$ list last week, it ran great. Ashley won me so many games, any game with 2 Ashley's out is going to end in a victory

yurp yurp

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:38 pm

I beat B/x twice on day two of the GP with Ash Zealot. I don't think it's really that bad.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:49 pm

In a deck with 10+ burn spells it only makes sense to me to run her. But to me it's not an either/or proposition. I like running both.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:26 pm

In a deck with 10+ burn spells it only makes sense to me to run her. But to me it's not an either/or proposition. I like running both.
You're probably correct I'm just hesitant to cut other cards to may them fit.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:58 pm

I cut Satyr for Zealot. I prefer a more grindy playstyle so YMMV.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:30 am

[deck]Creatures:21
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot *
3 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells:16
3 Chained to the Rocks
3 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands:23
1 Boros Guildgate
12 Mountain
2 Mutavault **
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard:15
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Wear // Tear
3 Boros Charm
2 Last Breath
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Skullcrack
3 Boros Reckoner[/deck]

This?

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:30 am

YMMV?

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:44 am

Your mileage may vary.

That list looks fine.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:28 am

I'm fine with dropping the FotFB, but there isn't much else I'm comfortable cutting.

Volition
Newcomer

Postby Volition » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:36 am

I'm fine with dropping the FotFB, but there isn't much else I'm comfortable cutting.
A touch out of left field, but what about cutting down to 2 Firedrinker, to have 6 x 1 drops total. The best time for 1 drops is the opening hand and especially on the play. On the draw is less vital. These are the numbers for 1 drops

With 6 in the deck:-
54% chance to have at least 1 on the play; and
59% chance to have at least 1 on the draw.

With 8 in the deck:
65% chance to have at least 1 on the play; and
70% chance to have one on the draw.

So, going from 6 to 8, you are essentially increasing your number of 1 drops by 33%, to get them in your opening hand 20% more of the time (on the play - 11%/54% is roughly 20%, but fine for this
example). On the draw, this gets even worse as you are playing 33% more 1 drops for an 18.6% greater chance to have one in the opening hand.

There is also the fact that these cards greatly diminish in value after the first few turns, hence the proposition that in the circumstance that you do whiff in the opening hand, it is better to be drawing to 6 than 8 - thereby increasing the power level of your remaining undrawn deck.

Anyone else think this same way?

Edit - i suck at math
Standard: No thanks. A game based on who can curve out the best doesnt really appeal to me.
Modern: Jund. dabbling on the side with esper mentor and grixis delver. I miss treasure cruise
Legacy: Not even I hate myself that much

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:58 am

Mulliganed into oblivion / manascrewed every game. This deck angers the red gods. Back to big boros ! :D

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:26 am

6 one-drops is a fine number.

Return to “Archives”