Primer: R/w/x Aggro

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Zooligan
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Zooligan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Weekend went well. Played Zealot base with two Pyrewild on Friday and went 3-1, losing to mono-black. Never recurred the Shaman and decided to switch them out for 1 Chandra, 1 Dragonbreath.

Saturday went 2-2. First match was a rematch with the same guy running mono-black that I lost to the night before and beat him soundy 2-0. He was surprised, but not bitter. All of our games were good. It's a good MU. My losses were both to mono-red. The fast versions are just too fast! This feels like a rock-paper-scissors meta.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:12 am

I can't decide between 3 dragon and 2 chandras or 2 dragons and 3 chandras.
More dragons, less Chandras.
But Chandra is so good... she isn't a dead card vs Bx Devotion, Gx Devotion, BWx and BRx.

But at the same time the Dragons can just steal games when your behind, no need to be a stall or healthy position :ugh: such a hard choice.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:37 am

Don't like more than two chandra.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:59 pm

here is my first commentated video running my brand spanky new Big Boros List, your welcome to laugh at my mixed accent

[deck=MDU's Big Boros]Lands 24
12 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 20
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra’s Phoenix
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
3 StormBreath Dragon
1 Pyrewild Shaman

Instants 10
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock

Others 6
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Chained to the Rocks
1 Flame of the Firebrand

Sideboard 15
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Skullcrack
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Last Breath
2 Young Pyromancer[/deck]

I was asked why don't I just play Assemble the Legions over Young Pyromancer, I felt that was a very good question so I'll answer it here: YP$ is for DD.decks and x/1.decks, while its true Assemble the Legions is MUCH better vs DD.decks, its comes in much to slow against the x/1.deck list which is a major
weakness for traditional non-AoG Big Boros decks.

G1: Esper Control (2-Man)

I would like Feedback here, is it worth commentated or should I just stick with music?

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Keftenk

Postby Keftenk » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:17 pm

I enjoyed the commentary, this might just be me but I would have liked maybe a bit more explanation into your thinking. For instance early in the game you scryed away an Ash Zealot that he Azzy Charmed. Perhaps it's my inexperience, but I probably would have kept it. I'm curious as to why you didn't "need it" anymore, was it because of the double vault? Was the extra pressure not that important; giving him a target to possibly use his counter spells or kill cards on -- allowing for an opening for your SBD's?

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:26 pm

Are you liking this build better MDU?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:40 pm

I enjoyed the commentary, this might just be me but I would have liked maybe a bit more explanation into your thinking. For instance early in the game you scryed away an Ash Zealot that he Azzy Charmed. Perhaps it's my inexperience, but I probably would have kept it. I'm curious as to why you didn't "need it" anymore, was it because of the double vault? Was the extra pressure not that important; giving him a target to possibly use his counter spells or kill cards on -- allowing for an opening for your SBD's?
Fair enough, I usually assume people understand my thought process - but for the wider audience further explanation is better.

I had two reason for shipping Ash:

1) I had two vaults in play, I needed to swing and cast jet to
finish Jace (this wouldn't have been possible with Ash)
2) By T5+ I always assume Control has Rev. in hand (he didn't in this case) so I wanted to play something with bigger impact then Ash (such as Dragon or Chandra, Pyromaster)

@Johnny_Spike: Yes, except I'm worried about Gx Devotion - Dragons are not very good in that MU... though having more mana means more chances for overloaded mortars which is good :flame:.

soebek
Newcomer

Postby soebek » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:44 pm

here is my first commentated video running my brand spanky new Big Boros List, your welcome to laugh at my mixed accent

12 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 20
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra’s Phoenix
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
3 StormBreath Dragon
1 Pyrewild Shaman

Instants 10
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock

Others 6
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Chained to the Rocks
1 Flame of the Firebrand

Sideboard 15
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Skullcrack
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Last Breath

I was asked why don't I just play Assemble the Legions over Young Pyromancer, I felt that was a very good question so I'll answer it here: YP$
is for DD.decks and x/1.decks, while its true Assemble the Legions is MUCH better vs DD.decks, its comes in much to slow against the x/1.deck list which is a major weakness for traditional non-AoG Big Boros decks.

G1: Esper Control (2-Man)

I would like Feedback here, is it worth commentated or should I just stick with music?
I really, really liked the commentary, so thanks! My only concern were the sound effects were a little loud compared to your voice, which sometimes meant that your words were drowned out by a trumpet blast! I really enjoy your videos; I often find myself pausing it and working out what line of play I'd choose, then comparing it to what you did to try and improve myself as a player.

As regards the deck, I think I may switch over to this deck too, at least to try it. I was mentioning in the Pyro thread how much I enjoyed playing with the Stormbreaths,
and well this gives me a greater opportunity to do so. It also seems stronger against my weakest match-ups, so I'm certainly giving it a good go. As Pedro said in the other thread, at this point both decks have evolved into very, very similar shells, with just slight tweaks.

I was going to quote your earlier post deliberating about whether to run 3 Chandras and 2 Stormbreath, or the other way around, and just encourage you to run 3 of both instead. I'm glad to see you agreed, dropping a Shock.

My reasoning was that:
1) Both are so good you want to see them a lot.
2) Recurring the Phoenix and proccing Pyromaster are less important in this deck, so Shock loses some value.
3) Chandra is amazing.
4) Stormbreath is amazing.
5) I'd want to justify running 24 lands; if I end up with lots of mana on the board I want something to do with it.
6) F*** it, that's why.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:48 pm

I really, really liked the commentary, so thanks! My only concern were the sound effects were a little loud compared to your voice, which sometimes meant that your words were drowned out by a trumpet blast! I really enjoy your videos; I often find myself pausing it and working out what line of play I'd choose, then comparing it to what you did to try and improve myself as a player.

As regards the deck, I think I may switch over to this deck too, at least to try it. I was mentioning in the Pyro thread how much I enjoyed playing with the Stormbreaths, and well this gives me a greater opportunity to do so. It also seems stronger against my weakest match-ups, so I'm certainly giving it a good go. As Pedro said in the other thread, at this point both decks have evolved
into very, very similar shells, with just slight tweaks.

I was going to quote your earlier post deliberating about whether to run 3 Chandras and 2 Stormbreath, or the other way around, and just encourage you to run 3 of both instead. I'm glad to see you agreed, dropping a Shock.

My reasoning was that:
1) Both are so good you want to see them a lot.
2) Recurring the Phoenix and proccing Pyromaster are less important in this deck, so Shock loses some value.
3) Chandra is amazing.
4) Stormbreath is amazing.
5) I'd want to justify running 24 lands; if I end up with lots of mana on the board I want something to do with it.
6) F*** it, that's why.
Its funny that Pedro said that when I was the only one advocating a YP$ board plan.

In regards to the background sound, I agree I had it on max for some reason.

soebek
Newcomer

Postby soebek » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:23 pm

I didn't mean to try and take any credit away from yourself, MDU :D

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:39 pm

I watch your vids to try and improve my play and I do the same thing as Soebek; pause and choose plays. It's why I like the live ones so much as it much easier to do this :) I assumed you knew this which is why I've never explicitly said it before :) For me the more in depth commentary you can give, even on the obvious stuff, the better. I think this will potentially bring in a lot more viewers for you (to be honest I think there is a gap in the market for MTG videos with high level, in depth instructional analysis, a lot of the stuff on the site's is not very good and often appears to be motivated by the desire to promote a deck to sell cards).

I am going to make the switch to Dragons over YP too, here's why -

1 - I like Dragons I played them earlier in the season in a very similar build; it's posted earlier in the thread - 2 Shock - 1 Pyrewild - 1 FotF + 1 Plains + 2 Boros Charm + 1 Dragon if you don't wanna scroll back :) but opted for Pyro due to the sea of MBD everywhere at the time.
2 - I am seeking to improve as a player and my strategy is to play a deck that I like (which for me means it has primarily Mountains in it and is ideally a Sligh style build) and that I know is doing well in the current meta. I can then focus on getting results and improving as a player in the confidence that my deck is solid. This doesn't mean that I won't tweak here and there - I prefer Titan's Strength to Pyrewild for example - but I'll basically stick with a shell that I know works and follow the lead of better players.
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Any thought to running Boros Charm in place of Shock? I'm running 4 of, and like the multiple abilities of the card. 4 to the dome and recurrs Phoenix is great. I also have found I can bait out counterspells with that 4 threat that folks will hold for 2 or 3 damage spells, clearing thw way to resolve a Chandra or Dragon.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Charm is good but I like Shock for Aggro match ups, killing mana dorks, T3 with YP. I would think ou could make the switch and still get good results with the deck though :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Charm is good but I like Shock for Aggro match ups, killing mana dorks, T3 with YP. I would think ou could make the switch and still get good results with the deck though :)
Spot on, I read that you were having issues against small Red before Zooligan - Shock is one card which can help you deal with that issue. Now don't get my wrong I love Boros Charm (coming from a Modern Burn background here) but I can't see its value when your tapping out half the time to play walkers and dragons.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:35 pm

I did find this weekend I was soft to Red Aggro. The fast versions were too much. Perhaps having those Shocks would have helped. On the other hand, those Charms sure helped dealing 4 to the noggin or making permanents indestructible.

Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: same time MDU (10:35 a.m.). pinky jinx. <-- does that even mean anything on the other side of the globe?

EDIT 2:
Any progress on this front? Some of the red I played against did run Frostburn Wierd which helped their devotion numbers for Mogis and allowed them to sink 3 mana for 3 additional damage. Could that be a viable option
here? Not sure what the opportunity cost would be.
Last edited by Zooligan on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

notap123
Newcomer

Postby notap123 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:57 pm

@MDU I am assuming you have YP in the SB for faster aggro decks (AiR), wouldn't boarding the 2 other shocks be more prudent in that regard? T1 answers to their T2-3 swings can hamstring them.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:30 am

@MDU I am assuming you have YP in the SB for faster aggro decks (AiR), wouldn't boarding the 2 other shocks be more prudent in that regard? T1 answers to their T2-3 swings can hamstring them.
I also have Rakdos Cackler for x/1 decks so I don't need 4 shocks (I'll just go 2/4 over 4/2) Rakdos Cackler pretty much makes them cry :p.

YP$ happens to be good against Bx as well so he is much better then 2 extra shocks in that regard.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:07 am

Should we retire this thread and make a new boros aggro thread?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:11 am

Should we retire this thread and make a new boros aggro thread?
We can keep both, it will be like PyroWhite and PyroRed all that messy good stuff with people arguing from random perspectives.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:48 am

If something like MDU's list is going to be the norm going forward, I think merging the threads is a good idea since we are so close to the same 75. If it's ok with everyone else, let's table that thought and when I get back from thesis work we can discuss it in-depth. The meta can do a lot in three weeks.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:53 am

Holy snaps been awayhis whole weekend really. Haven't been able to keep up and the last Standard toruney for the year in my area was a bust. No one showed.

MDU's list is definitley interesting and pretty much uses another card I have been wanting to try to play this standard - dat YP$.

What I want to know with this new list what meta is this deck geared towards. I know MDU has mentioned it is more Geared to beat U/W and MonoU decks. How are the other match ups? My meta is/will be MonoB heavy with. Me being the only red deck in town.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:06 am

Fair enough, I usually assume people understand my thought
process - but for the wider audience further explanation is better.

I had two reason for shipping Ash:

1) I had two vaults in play, I needed to swing and cast jet to finish Jace (this wouldn't have been possible with Ash)
2) By T5+ I always assume Control has Rev. in hand (he didn't in this case) so I wanted to play something with bigger impact then Ash (such as Dragon or Chandra, Pyromaster)

@Johnny_Spike: Yes, except I'm worried about Gx Devotion - Dragons are not very good in that MU... though having more mana means more chances for overloaded mortars which is good :flame:.
I thought I posted last night, but apparently I didn't.

Anyways, I was of the opinion that you can keep the ash zealot so that instead of having to try and jam a dragon into dissolve mana(which happened), you'd have the option of just going Ashley+vault so that you get damage through even if he had
something.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:09 am

I thought I posted last night, but apparently I didn't.

Anyways, I was of the opinion that you can keep the ash zealot so that instead of having to try and jam a dragon into dissolve mana(which happened), you'd have the option of just going Ashley+vault so that you get damage through even if he had something.
You would be willing to swing with Vaults when your short on lands against a deck filled with removal?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:12 am

I think the sequence went something like, jet jace, scry away stuff, kill jace with mutavault+burn, pass, stuff, stormbreath. I would have done the same thing accept instead of just jamming dragon, you have the OPTION of playing Ashley+mutavault. Granted, I don't know what extra card you drew instead of the zealot from the scry off the top of my head, but that's my thought process.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:18 am

Also, seeing as I don't know how necessary the pyreweild shaman is and the fact that I'm GENERALLY in the 2 Chandra camp, I'd probably cut 1 of the aforementioned cards each for a pair of boros charms. After chained, that's the biggest appeal of adding white(to me) and I feel the card gives you more play and flexibility.

It is noteworthy if you keep shaman AND have boros charm in your deck, you get bloodrush+doublestrike as a backdoor out in games you have no business winning.

Patrick chapin

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:22 am

I think the sequence went something like, jet jace, scry away stuff, kill jace with mutavault+burn, pass, stuff, stormbreath. I would have done the same thing accept instead of just jamming dragon, you have the OPTION of playing Ashley+mutavault. Granted, I don't know what extra card you drew instead of the zealot from the scry off the top of my head, but that's my thought process.
It was another Dragon, had I kept Ash it would of been like this:

jet jace, scry away stuff, kill jace with mutavault+burn, pass, miss 5th land drop cast Ash (he counters) activate vault he killed with doom blade which is used on my 2nd dragon then proceed to get stuck with two cards for the next 3 turns.
Also, seeing as I don't know how necessary the pyreweild shaman is and the fact that I'm GENERALLY in the 2 Chandra camp, I'd probably cut 1 of the aforementioned cards each for a pair of boros charms. After chained, that's the biggest appeal of adding white(to me) and I feel the card gives you more play and flexibility.

It is noteworthy if you keep shaman AND have boros charm in your deck, you get bloodrush+doublestrike as a backdoor out in games you have no business winning.
That would be a very disgusting play :p, I value pyreweild shaman and chandra even more so in this deck then i would with PyroWhite because I lack the MD YP$ to deal with MonoBlack.

Wipe Out
Newcomer

Postby Wipe Out » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:35 am

How do people feel about Adrian Sullivan's list from a week ago that won the TCGPlayer Open? It's called "Boros Aggro" but it's what we're dealing with.

[deck]
Adrian Sullivan's Big Boros

Creatures: 23
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Stormbreath Dragon
3 Boros Reckoner

Instants and Sorceries: 10
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers: 2
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Land: 25
13 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Mutavault

Sideboard:
1 Boros Reckoner
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Shock
1 Tajic, Blade of the Legion
1 Assemble the Legion
1 Wear // Tear
[/deck]

It is very similar to his list about a month ago. Personally, I don't want 4 Boros Charms in the MB but I guess compared to CttR, they can never be truly "dead." If you hit a control match up you can still go to
their dome, block sweepers, or hit a planeswalker for some good damage whereas CttR will do nothing. I am considering do a 2/2 of Cttr and Boros Charm in the main to reduce the number of dead cards against control, even though it's still a favorable matchup I think. In a Deck Tech awhile back Adrian Sullivan explains his deckbuilding rationale, it's interesting to hear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqt7weawM4E

I've been wondering about switching to R/w devotion. Has anyone compared Big Boros and R/w devotion? I've done a lot of playtesting on Cockatrice but while I'm waiting to get my Nykthos' in the mail I haven't played it at my LGS (although I have been beaten by it). Recently had a bad FNM, went from a 4-0 the other day to 1-3. Lots of close games, lost to Mono-U, R/w devotion, and Dega Midrange. A combination of variance and bad mulligan decisions I think explains most of it since the matches were close except for R/w devotion. Since I don't
run Anger or any sweepers other than perhaps and overloaded mortars, if the board stalls they will probably win. They have access to CttR, the burn, and the Dragon, leaving us with only Chandra to get us over the top.

MDU's build looks interesting. Might be better to have more burn in the MB. I suppose it depends on if your meta has a lot of fast aggro or not whether you want Reckoners main. Against Black and Esper they are not very good but they can get you game 1 against almost any aggro deck and you will probably beat Esper game 1 anyway.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:47 am

R/W devotion plays entirely different from Sledgehammer/Big Boros aggro. BorosDevo has some powerfull plays and Nykthos allows for a faster 7/7 Monstrous Stormbreath but if the meta is removal heavy you have lots of dead plays.

Any red devotion based deck is heavily dependent on life swings with Fanatic of Mogis but the bigger version of it has a bit more reach with Stormbreath.

My meta is heavy black removal so I would rather have a recurring threat, protection and burn package with Boros Charm and Phoenix.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:26 am

How do people feel about Adrian Sullivan's list from a week ago that won the TCGPlayer Open? It's called "Boros Aggro" but it's what we're dealing with.

[deck]
Adrian Sullivan's Big Boros

Creatures: 23
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Stormbreath Dragon
3 Boros Reckoner

Instants and Sorceries: 10
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers: 2
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Land: 25
13 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Mutavault

Sideboard:
1 Boros Reckoner
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Shock
1 Tajic, Blade of the Legion
1 Assemble the Legion
1 Wear // Tear
[/deck]

It is very similar to his list about a month ago.
Personally, I don't want 4 Boros Charms in the MB but I guess compared to CttR, they can never be truly "dead." If you hit a control match up you can still go to their dome, block sweepers, or hit a planeswalker for some good damage whereas CttR will do nothing. I am considering do a 2/2 of Cttr and Boros Charm in the main to reduce the number of dead cards against control, even though it's still a favorable matchup I think. In a Deck Tech awhile back Adrian Sullivan explains his deckbuilding rationale, it's interesting to hear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqt7weawM4E

I've been wondering about switching to R/w devotion. Has anyone compared Big Boros and R/w devotion? I've done a lot of playtesting on Cockatrice but while I'm waiting to get my Nykthos' in the mail I haven't played it at my LGS (although I have been beaten by it). Recently had a bad FNM, went from a 4-0 the other day to 1-3. Lots of close games, lost to Mono-U, R/w devotion,
and Dega Midrange. A combination of variance and bad mulligan decisions I think explains most of it since the matches were close except for R/w devotion. Since I don't run Anger or any sweepers other than perhaps and overloaded mortars, if the board stalls they will probably win. They have access to CttR, the burn, and the Dragon, leaving us with only Chandra to get us over the top.

MDU's build looks interesting. Might be better to have more burn in the MB. I suppose it depends on if your meta has a lot of fast aggro or not whether you want Reckoners main. Against Black and Esper they are not very good but they can get you game 1 against almost any aggro deck and you will probably beat Esper game 1 anyway.
Pro Tip, video is already in the primer lol.

Wipe Out
Newcomer

Postby Wipe Out » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:22 pm

Pro Tip, video is already in the primer lol.
Forgot to give credit that the video is in your primer on the first page, my bad. I didn't think it would hurt to put the link up on page 9 of the thread right next to his tweaked decklist, though maybe I should have hidden it. I've been learning a lot from DTR and though I'm new here I'm just trying to contribute to the discussion if I can.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 pm

12 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 20
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra’s Phoenix
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
3 StormBreath Dragon
1 Pyrewild Shaman

Instants 10
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock

Others 6
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Chained to the Rocks
1 Flame of the Firebrand

Sideboard 15
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Skullcrack
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Last Breath
As I hate testing and tweeking deck without any playing, I played 5 round today on Modo (8 man + 2 * 2 mans)

vs Mono Black 2-1

Won when my opp had 2*demon(1tapped with token from pyro),
erebos, connection, nyktos and Gary. I had 2* ash zealot, young pyro, chandra phoenix, 5 lands (with muta) and dragon in hand. Topdecked mountain, cast dragon, sac muta to tap 2nd demon, swing for leathal (like for 8 :))

sb:
-1 dragon, -2 shock, -4 jet
+3 skullcrack, +2 chained, +2 young pyromancer

vs Mono White 2-0

-1 dragon, 1 mountain, -4 cackler, -4 satyr
+2 chained +4 reckoner +2 young pyro +2 mortars

vs BR Agro 2-1

-2 dragon, -1 mountain, -1 cackler, -4 satyr
+2 chained +2 last breath +2 mortars +2 pyro

vs Rwb Burn 2-1

-2 shock, -flames, -4 satyr, -1 magma jeta
+2 last breath, +2 chained, +4 reckoner

vs Wb agro hummans 2-0

-4 cackler -4 satyr, -1 dragon -mountain
+2 young pyro +2 mortars +2 chained +4 reckoner

As you might notice, I sb out 1 mountain whenever I sb out dragon. I choose to sb mountain, as I dont need reckoners to be on turn 3 all the time. I think my decision was
correct on that, however in those games I always drew 2 to 4 mutavaults, however I think it as a variance.

What do you think on this sb plan?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Wipe Out
Newcomer

Postby Wipe Out » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:46 pm

Congrats on the wins, nice work. I like the SBing. Why didn't you bring Reckoners in against BR aggro and leave 3 Cacklers in? Did they have a lot of black removal or did you have the possibility to race them? How did Young P-money work for you as a SB? He came in in 4/5 games. Would it be worth a couple MB?

soebek
Newcomer

Postby soebek » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:15 am

12 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 20
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra’s Phoenix
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
3 StormBreath Dragon
1 Pyrewild Shaman

Instants 10
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock

Others 6
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Chained to the Rocks
1 Flame of the Firebrand

Sideboard 15
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Skullcrack
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Last Breath
As I hate testing and tweeking
deck without any playing, I played 5 round today on Modo (8 man + 2 * 2 mans)

vs Mono Black 2-1

Won when my opp had 2*demon(1tapped with token from pyro), erebos, connection, nyktos and Gary. I had 2* ash zealot, young pyro, chandra phoenix, 5 lands (with muta) and dragon in hand. Topdecked mountain, cast dragon, sac muta to tap 2nd demon, swing for leathal (like for 8 :))

sb:
-1 dragon, -2 shock, -4 jet
+3 skullcrack, +2 chained, +2 young pyromancer

vs Mono White 2-0

-1 dragon, 1 mountain, -4 cackler, -4 satyr
+2 chained +4 reckoner +2 young pyro +2 mortars

vs BR Agro 2-1

-2 dragon, -1 mountain, -1 cackler, -4 satyr
+2 chained +2 last breath +2 mortars +2 pyro

vs Rwb Burn 2-1

-2 shock, -flames, -4 satyr, -1 magma jeta
+2 last breath, +2 chained, +4 reckoner

vs Wb agro hummans 2-0

-4 cackler -4 satyr, -1 dragon -mountain
+2 young pyro +2 mortars +2 chained +4 reckoner

As you might
notice, I sb out 1 mountain whenever I sb out dragon. I choose to sb mountain, as I dont need reckoners to be on turn 3 all the time. I think my decision was correct on that, however in those games I always drew 2 to 4 mutavaults, however I think it as a variance.

What do you think on this sb plan?
Seems to me you're siding out dragons and bringing in YP$ an awful lot; does that not suggest the YP$ main and Dragon side might still be the better choice at the moment?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:02 am

@ Pedros: You should board out ALL your dragons and 1 mountain, 2 shocks and 1 jet vs MonoBlack. I'm glad I'm not the only person who cuts lands during boards, against the weenie decks Mountains are more important then vaults (for Rec) against control list vaults are more important then Mountain (for a threat).

@ soebek: If you read my updated SB plans on the Pyro primer, I mention that 1/1 are good vs weenies decks - Pedros happen to face 3 of them which is why the YP$ kept coming in ;-)

EDIT: Would you like me to write a Sideboard plan for this deck?
Last edited by magicdownunder on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:11 am

Deck update:

12 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 20
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra’s Phoenix
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
3 StormBreath Dragon
1 Young Pyromancer

Instants 10
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock

Others 6
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Chained to the Rocks
1 Flame of the Firebrand

Sideboard 15
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Skullcrack
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Last Breath

Notes:
I no longer see the value in shaman, with the Dragons in the deck.
I tested Assemble the Legion due to request and I found it too be much to slow.
I'm happy with the decks performance against Monoblue.

please note: I'm testing four decks right now, so updates maybe slow (this is my favorite though)

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:32 am

Which other lists are you testing? Why did you give up on Rod of Ruin?

Your list is gradually creeping toward Adrian Sullivan's list :P It recently took down some IQs FWIW.
Last edited by Lightning_Dolt on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:53 am

Which other lists are you testing? Why did you give up on Rod of Ruin?

Your list is gradually creeping toward Adrian Sullivan's list :P I recently took down some IQs FWIW.
Rg Gruul Smash, Naya Hexproof, RW Aggro (Pyrowhite) and Big Boros.

I moved away from RoR because I'm now running dragons, if I was still playing small Boros it would of been RoR over Last Breath.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:29 am

Adrian Sullivan took a 5k down:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=6020&d=234899

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:34 am

@ Pedros: You should board out ALL your dragons and 1 mountain, 2 shocks and 1 jet vs MonoBlack. I'm glad I'm not the only person who cuts lands during boards, against the weenie decks Mountains are more important then vaults (for Rec) against control list vaults are more important then Mountain (for a threat).

@ soebek: If you read my updated SB plans on the Pyro primer, I mention that 1/1 are good vs weenies decks - Pedros happen to face 3 of them which is why the YP$ kept coming in ;-)

EDIT: Would you like me to write a Sideboard plan for this deck?
I played 2 dragons, as I noticed I like having some hasty guys to finish them off. They
arent very good, however I like them better than magma jets there IMO (jet recurs phoenix and kill pack rats, thats all in this matchups). However I can see having only 1 after board (like having access for that imo).

Cutting lands is normal when you lower the curve down a bit, same as boarding another land when curve goes up - nothing wrong here.

SB plan would be nice, if u have time, I dont insist. After playing this 5 times (I know not so much, however I liked how the deck played) I like more lands and having hasty big threat.

I am aganst cutting shaman - it was still good in all those matches, especially with more lands. When topdecking against white i kepts attacking with phoenix and recur shaman to chump block. It is the only way I could def. against his impressive
board state.

What about split of drgons/pyromancers$ between mb and sb? like 2/1 and 1/1 in sb? or 2/1 and 1/2?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:44 am

What about split of drgons/pyromancers$ between mb and sb? like 2/1 and 1/1 in sb? or 2/1 and 1/2?
I really want 3 YP$ :ugh: I feel like I don't ever draw them in time with just 2, but testing the numbers with Dragon and Young does sound very good.

Return to “Archives”