[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

F.I.A
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby F.I.A » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:28 am

@ LP: Sounds explosive enough. Too bad I won't be building that deck for the time being on modo (Don't have Domri and Dragon. I can easily afford Nykthos, sure).

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:46 am

Some games play out fairly, other games you go from an ash zealot a burning tree, and a hammer to attacking for 18.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

F.I.A

Postby F.I.A » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:52 am

If only Mindsparker dealt 3 damage or covered any blue/white cards. Compared to other bane creatures, I'm sad that it is hitting the bin while the other four have their purposes in various decks.

Not to mention that it's fighting the 3-mana slot with two other superior cards (Phoenix with recurrance & Reckoner with 2-1 advantage).

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:55 am

Just linking my Game Day Report:
viewtopic.php?p=128451#p128451

DarthStabber
Tire Aficionado

Postby DarthStabber » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:18 am

I'm running 2 mindsparkers in my board for U/W control and Esper, and it's kind of a win more in those matchups since I am already running roughshod overthem, but I love rub-ins and it's hilarious (and actually worse than the striker that come out for it).

It actually had some good play when someone told me their pauper turbo fog could beat me, but there isn't enough white fog in standard for turbofog.

Besides red doesn't hate, red gets hated.
thanks to nbw for the sig.
You do need to try to gay it up a little more.

You're like the least gay member of this clan.

And that's counting the fact that you voluntarily have sex with men.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:30 am

If I win my next two DE matches, i'll have a new peak rating.

And will have cashed in 7 consecutive events, but that's less interesting.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:45 am

So, I'm going to play this deck in the Villager league. Ban list for the Villager format is here: http://www.betheregames.com/villager-league/

It's basically Nuwen's deck but with format-appropriate removal, and Tymaret because he seems hella sweet. I also didn't like Tormented Hero that much and figured Festering Newt would be a 2-for-1 enough of the time to justify having less power.

[deck="Villager League B/r"]
Creatures (27)
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Festering Newt
3 Rakdos Shred-Freak
3 Spike Jester
4 Thrill-Kill Assassin
3 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
2 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Mogis's Marauder

Artifact (2)
2 Rakdos Keyrune

Enchantment (2)
2 Madcap Skills

Instant (7)
3 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet

Land (22)
4 Rakdos Guildgate
8 Mountain
10 Swamp

Sideboard (15)
4 Blood Scrivener
Doom Blade
3 Grim Return
4 Killing Glare[/deck]

Anything that I should consider? I was thinking Stab Wound might be pretty good, but I don't know what creatures are big enough to not simply die to it? I know mono red Fanatic decks are popular in the format so far, but unfortunately it's hard to really gauge what else there is since people are just playing all sorts of crazy jank. Maybe I should consider Gift of Orzhova instead of Madcap Skills for 2 extra devotion and some lifelink for those matchups?

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:46 am

I think Rakdos Keyrune is actually just insane. It shits all over so many of the format's available creatures.

Wrathberry2
Newcomer

Postby Wrathberry2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:52 am

So Not a single red aggro deck in the last gp louisville top 16. What do you guys think? Are we not positioned good currently or was it just coincidence?

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:57 am

So Not a single red aggro deck in the last gp louisville top 16. What do you guys think? Are we not positioned good currently or was it just coincidence?
They're bad against the mono U devotion decks, which likely swarmed the first six rounds before eventually losing to their bad matchup (mono black devotion) in such a fashion that things shook down they way they did. It's kind of like when everyone started playing stuff that was good against Delver. Those same decks happened to also be good against RDW and Infect, so those decks also saw a decline in tournament results.

tl;dr: Herds of sheep all bought a billion Master of Waves and played mono U, which kept mono R from getting to top 16. Mono U is bad against mono B, so yeah. Happenstance.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:03 am

Right now I can tell you the top three decks are Mono R, Mono U and Mono B. Nothing else is remotely competitive against the field as these three.

Mono U > Mono R > Mono B > Mono U

Mono U was the most popular archetype at the GP, so Mono R suffered. If Mono B was the most popular, Mono R would have done a lot better.

Check out the MODO data from the last week, those three archetypes are so much better than everything else it is silly.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:05 am

1 more win for ratings record.

Liking the BTE version of Pyro so far, 3-0. The mana accel has been very relevant in the matchups (1 x Mono R Devotion, 2 x MBC).
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Wrathberry2
Newcomer

Postby Wrathberry2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:50 am

Right now I can tell you the top three decks are Mono R, Mono U and Mono B. Nothing else is remotely competitive against the field as these three.

Mono U > Mono R > Mono B > Mono U

Mono U was the most popular archetype at the GP, so Mono R suffered. If Mono B was the most popular, Mono R would have done a lot better.

Check out the MODO data from the last week, those three archetypes are so much better than everything else it is silly.
are you sure we are that well positined vs mono black? i mean they have tons of lifegain and annoying creatures like demon. i felt that its winable but clearly not a favourable matchup. especialy if they splash white for bloodbaron and obezat.

but who knows. i did not test that much the last
few days, will need to do that to find the right deck to me.

played a big red version last fnm and got 5. out of 14 or something...
lost my first bo3 ever vs esper lol. he just notdrew every game, had tons of removals so that i couldnt possible pressure him in both games... was not really funny..
then i should have lost to a u/w list too... if he would have made the worst mistake i ever saw^^... but this guy maindecked this white exile for power 2 or less and the white "sac attacking creature" thing... and something else too. he had his whole deck build against aggro.. so no wonder that i would have lost this normaly.

i beat a g/w deck... and lost in the last round to b/w control.. with obezat, whip, demon and so on. kinda annoying deck :D

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:08 am

DID IT!

In fitting style, Chandra got me across the line against Mono U devotion. +1 Chandra, win game.

1905 baby.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:21 am

Mono-black has a bad mono-red matchup. They haven infinite removal, but they don't actually do anything and they actively are losing life with there spells till turn 5 or so which is our goldfish area. I even remember someone mentioning Brad Nelson making some comment during coverage about his deck loses to firedrinker satyr or some such.

Patrick chapin

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:23 am

Its even uglier post board when you bring in threatens. They're all "turn 4 desecration demon RAWR!" and you just lethal them.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 am

Writing up a full tournament report with pics and notes because I love you all.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:48 am

The grammar in my post was atrocious and is probably making Windstrider toss and turn in his sleep.

Turns out I did need frostburn weird in the main. That extra point of devotion matters and having 4 toughness matters in a lot of matchups since most of my kills are coming from comboing off after several turns of the colossul gruul player staring at boros reckoner with his 9/9 non trampling giant.

Also, while doing a gatherer search for techy cards, I came across wild ricochet, but sadly that's a little further then I'm willing to go for the sake of doing cool things.

Patrick chapin

Wrathberry2
Newcomer

Postby Wrathberry2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:16 am

The grammar in my post was atrocious and is probably making Windstrider toss and turn in his sleep.

Turns out I did need frostburn weird in the main. That extra point of devotion matters and having 4 toughness matters in a lot of matchups since most of my kills are coming from comboing off after several turns of the colossul gruul player staring at boros reckoner with his 9/9 non trampling giant.

Also, while doing a gatherer search for techy cards, I came across wild ricochet, but sadly that's a little further then I'm willing to go for the sake of doing cool things.
btw: could you post your current decklist somewhere? :D
or tell me where you did it,
since i cant find it anyway, i was kinda interested in your deck the last time we played on cockatrice, but couldnt remember everything^^

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:48 am

Patrick chapin

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:35 pm

Is that why I had trouble sleeping? :D Nah, I turn off "teacher" mode as much
as I can around friends. I just twitch occasionally now.

Edit: I love chump blocking an Arbor Colossus or a gigantic Scavenging Ooze with an elemental token.
Last edited by windstrider on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:07 pm

Howdy everybody. Hope you all had a good weekend. Mine was spent working and sleeping Fri-Sat night and then training/crying over that travesty of a game (Clemson -v- FS) all day Sunday.

Anywho, in between the boredom, beatings, and tears I came up with the list I think I'm going to be playing for the most part this season:

[deck]Creatures: 24
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
2 Frostburn Weird
3 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Boros Reckoner
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells: 11
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands: 25
4 Mutavault
21 Mountain

Sideboard: 15
2 Frostburn Weird
1 Chandra's Phoenix
1 Boros Reckoner
4 Mizzium Mortars
4 Peak Eruption
3 ????????????????[/deck]

Even though it seemed to work okay, I still didn't like the 4 2-drop 8 3-drop build so I compromised and went with 6 of each which allows me to pretty much cover all bases and gives a solid SB strategy
regarding them:
  • Control or B/x Midrange: -3 Reckoner; +2 Weird, +1 Phoenix
    Aggro or R/x Midrange: -4 Satyr; +2 Weird, +1 Phoenix, +1 Reckoner
The rest of the board is semi-transformational - which you all know I love. Mortars comes in for Cackler against Aggro and Midrange, Eruption comes in for Jet/Strike against R/x Midrange and any ramp deck, and that leaves 3 "mystery" SB cards that I need to figure out; probably some combination of Acts, Earf/Skullcrack, and/or Hammers.

I also wouldn't hate finding room for a Hammer in the MD.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:12 pm

1 Hammer, 2 Act of Treason would give you options vs. quite a few decks.

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Nuwen

Postby Nuwen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:51 pm

I wouldn't play newt in a deck that plans to beat someone down. TKA and skills are already higher class don't-block-me-bro. The majority of your dudes should be presenting the most damage/cmc possible. Newt seems like a stabilization tool and not a beat stick. Play the 2/1 hero (read his herioc - skills turns into super value meal 14uT2) or just add dark betrayal // act of treason // ultimate price, then reshuffle your mb/sb removal package to accommodate?

Still can't find ways to fuel tyramet. His reach ability is less relevant and always more costly than Rix maadi's, and he's not worth recurring for another creature. Have tried to make him work with xathrid necro, but it always feels like he's missing card support from the rest of the deck. Needs a different shell / build-around IMO.

You should definitely check out Rix maadi guildmage! A mana sink for your suicide squad will close out close games more reliably.
The blocking clause usually will force decks to suboptimally race you.

Format looks super fun, wish we were closer :p
So high, so low, so many things to know.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm at the point where people who dismiss Firedrinker because of its drawback just don't understand red decks very well.

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:52 pm

dear god alex do NOT play festering newt in an aggro shell over tormented hero I DONT CARE HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO BLOCK WITH YOUR 1 DROPS THEY ARE FOR BEATING FACE

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:53 pm

It's this year's Vexing Devil: people who know [mana]R[/mana] Aggro can understand why and in what circumstances you would or wouldn't want to play either card while people who don't, can't.

:shrug:

I find it both frustrating and time-saving. On the one hand, it's incredibly annoying for random people who obviously know shit to constantly ask/harass you about playing a certain card, but on the other hand, people who do that are as good as wearing a sign that says "I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about. Please ignore and dismiss everything I say."
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

Nuwen

Postby Nuwen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:56 pm

Use science to teach.

"Firedrinker Satyr is like a 2 man beer bong - if you suck harder, sure, you're going to get trashed but THE OTHER guy is taking a facefuck too!"

RedNihilist
Tire Aficionado

Postby RedNihilist » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Every time the FD Satyr argument comes up I feel a bit more stupid.

Nuwen

Postby Nuwen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:06 pm

Going into 2nd ever Standard daily. Our baddie budgetdos now has Blood Crypts, bringing our total buy-in up to $19/deck $12/event entry. We figured the mana consistency would be worth the initial investment, because our deck just loses when it can't cast its spells on curve.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Good luck, Nuwen! Beat some mono blue face.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Master of Waves is a lot less intimidating when you have a Doom Blade in your hand.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:21 pm

So, little situation arose at Gameday on Sat at my LGS. There was some confusion on trample damage and deathtouch, and the 2 players didn't bother to call a judge. So right there, bad decision. The player that was attacking ended up scooping because he thought that he would die next turn. Midway through their next game, they find out they played it wrong. The player that lost (Conner), got more than a little irritated, and asked the other player (Nick) to give him a one game win. Stupid, I know, and Nick told him, "You conceded. You assumed that you were going to die and you conceded." Nick didn't try to convince Conner that he would lose. Conner came to that conclusion by himself. Anyways, Conner starts to badger Nick to replay the game. To the point where he probably should have gotten unsportsmanlike conduct, if this were a competitive event. Nick felt really bad about it, but stuck to his guns, even
with Conner being very dickish about the whole thing. Nick eventually felt so bad that he offered Conner a replay, and Nick won, so it didn't really matter. But even after it was resolved, apparently people were talking shit behind Nick's back. There wasn't really a point to this, other than to vent. I'm just amazed that people can get so worked up over a non-competitive even. Also, I'm beginning to realize that some of the local players are real douchebags.
SM, you complete me. :love:

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Originally posted by Aes Sedai on MTGS
The more I played, the more I started to hate Firedrinker Satyr. I was never happy to see him and he didn't really do all that much. I couldn't sideboard him out fast enough in most games. I saw a lot of other red decks as well. The damage he deals to you can really be the difference in a game. What I don't get is why do people run this guy instead of Bellows Lizard? It's the same exact card except Bellows is a 1/1 and not a 2/1. But Bellows also doesn't deal damage to you when he is dealt damage. Isn't sacrificing 1 power worth getting rid of that negative? They even have the same pump ability but using Bellows' doesn't hurt you either.
:lol:

I love the D...

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Most local players are douchebags. I deal with them by beating them. Or if I lose, I just nod my head, agree with them when they say they're God's gift to MTG, then go chug my beer. When I beat them next time, I just look them in the eye and say, " Happy learned how to putt. "
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:27 pm

So, little situation arose at Gameday on Sat at my LGS. There was some confusion on trample damage and deathtouch, and the 2 players didn't bother to call a judge. So right there, bad decision. The player that was attacking ended up scooping because he thought that he would die next turn. Midway through their next game, they find out they played it wrong. The player that lost (Conner), got more than a little irritated, and asked the other player (Nick) to give him a one game win. Stupid, I know, and Nick told him, "You conceded. You assumed that you were going to die and you conceded." Nick didn't try to convince Conner that he would lose. Conner came to that conclusion by himself. Anyways, Conner starts to badger Nick to replay the game. To
the point where he probably should have gotten unsportsmanlike conduct, if this were a competitive event. Nick felt really bad about it, but stuck to his guns, even with Conner being very dickish about the whole thing. Nick eventually felt so bad that he offered Conner a replay, and Nick won, so it didn't really matter. But even after it was resolved, apparently people were talking shit behind Nick's back. There wasn't really a point to this, other than to vent. I'm just amazed that people can get so worked up over a non-competitive even. Also, I'm beginning to realize that some of the local players are real douchebags.
"You conceeded. That's a game loss. We can call a Judge over who will tell you exactly the same thing if you'd like. Now shut the fuck up."

I love the D...

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Originally posted by Aes Sedai on MTGS
The more I played, the more I started to hate Firedrinker Satyr. I was never happy to see him and he didn't really do all that much. I couldn't sideboard him out fast enough in most games. I saw a lot of other red decks as well. The damage he deals to you can really be the difference in a game. What I don't get is why do people run this guy instead of Bellows Lizard? It's the same exact card except Bellows is a 1/1 and not a 2/1. But Bellows also doesn't deal damage to you when he is dealt damage. Isn't sacrificing 1 power worth getting rid of that negative? They even have the same pump ability but using Bellows' doesn't hurt you either.[/
quote1]

:lol:
:no:

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:35 pm

I told him to just play Bellows Lizard then.

The more assclowns out there stuffing their decks with shitty cards the better.

I love the D...

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:01 pm

The ignorance is astounding considering how much information there is out there on this subject.

Then again, it really isn't because people are stupid.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:13 pm

I told him to just play Bellows Lizard then.

The more assclowns out there stuffing their decks with shitty cards the better.
2 guys are playing Red Aggro decks besides me at the store. They both were against Firedrink Satyr because of the drawback. One guy sees my matches and saw the damage potential. He is back on him and fell in love with the card. The other guy is sticking to his guns running some weird aggro red that is sorta big and sorta not.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”