[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:09 pm

3-1, just beat black/blue devotion. What a slobberknocker of a game; details later. Burning Earth and Act of Treason ALL DAMN DAY!
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Tube, sorry to hear that, redbro. I'll punch a blue player for you. ;)
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:29 pm

Tube, sorry to hear that man. I heard Dr. James Andrews can fix those things pretty well ;)

On a totally different note, I didn't even realize that Reckoners are now up to $20. :o

Narcasus
Newcomer

Postby Narcasus » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Tube, sorry to hear that man. I heard Dr. James Andrews can fix those things pretty well ;)

On a totally different note, I didn't even realize that Reckoners are now up to $20. :o
Wow, glad i bought mine at 8 then.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Of course they're $20, they come out of a basic Mountain!

Chandra, Pyromaster at $30/35 on TCGPlayer low/mid.

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:45 pm

That WB Aggro by Chapin gives me hope for WR deck. Manabase that can handle Soldier of the Pantheon and Desecration demon actually does exist.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:03 pm

Well guys, the ember is fading. I'm 3-2 now and I think the 8-0, 7-1, and MAYBE the 6-1-1 players will make top 8. I'm gonna stick it out, especially since my testing crew is all undefeated.

I lost 1-2 to U/W control. Dat Elspeth and Jace duo is pretty tough, though not unbeatable. I mulled every game. The crazy part is he ultimated Jace and he stole my Thunder Thighs lmao.

K, gameface back on. Wish me some major luck.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:05 pm

That sucks tube. I had a friend who that happened to, though he didn't get it checked out for like 2 weeks and was still faster then half the squadron :D
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:07 pm

Damn, Tube. What are your options?

Go back in two weeks when all the fluids are gone to see if I need surgery or not.

Nothing much else

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:15 pm

I hear 8/8 experiment ones get there

4_1 baby

lorddax
Tire Aficionado

Postby lorddax » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:19 pm

18th of 32.PyRos 2-3 record with a bye win :-/ need to get a better testing group for in person. Made lots of play mistakes and took forever to sequence lines. At least I feel more comfortable now with the rRw version. Not sticking around for top 8 to instead go test matches or draft and lgs. Have some notes for later. Good luck to the rest of you!
Some men just want to watch the planes burn. . .and most of them are here.
FoS resident designer/codemonkey
MTGO:lorddax Cockatrice:lorddax

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:33 pm

PyroRed is incredibly skill intensive so if you're not used to it you may lose some games due to misplays. That said I think the meta is developing in a way that makes PyroRed suboptimal. Everyone seems to be forcing midrange and those decks aren't being punished by control. Black-based decks in particular have it very good with both Thoughtseize and Duress in the format.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:53 pm

top 8 for pro tour posted.

Wafo-tapa looks like the favorite to me with esper control

stephan
Newcomer

Postby stephan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Hey Guys,

long time clan forum reader here, since RTR release, when i found back to Magic.
After a cheap start with RDW, i learned a lot from you and Zem's Sledgehammer deck, adopted it and could improve my playskill. After that i had a good time with R/G but my real life schedule doenst allowed me regularly FNMs.
I tried to get into MTGO with a few drafts and Theros should be my start with an STD Deck on there. I would like to join your clan, learn more about better game lines and maybe sometime i can contribute helpful experiences.

Actual im testing a PyroRed build in Tournament Practice and really like the different playstyle rather than RDW/RedDevotion. Still missing a third chandra and some other stuff...

its late over here, so sorry for my english writing ^^
greetings from germany
stephan

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:07 pm

PyroRed is incredibly skill intensive so if you're not used to it you may lose some games due to misplays. That said I think the meta is developing in a way that makes PyroRed suboptimal. Everyone seems to be forcing midrange and those decks aren't being punished by control. Black-based decks in particular have it very good with both Thoughtseize and Duress in the format.
I've been experimenting with a Pyro Rakdos variant for just this. I think the current shell is definitely strong, it's just that the spell suite needs to change to keep the deck 1 for 1'ing with spells. I haven't had too much success yet making it work yet. The mana is a little shaky because Ashley, Phoenix, Hammer, and Chandra all require [mana]R[/mana][
mana]R[/mana], while Doom Blade/Dreadbore need [mana]B[/mana] by turn 3 since Reckoner is basically uncastable. When I've had it come together, midrange decks basically fall flat on their faces.

Maybe I'm approaching the situation wrong and instead should go Boros for Chained to the Rocks, Boros Charm, and Glare of Heresy.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:10 pm

4-2 and just BARELY beat a Boros beatdown deck. Game winning play was in game 3. I was in shield mode with a weird, Reckoner, and some Zealots. Beating in the air with a Phoenix.

He has a Caller of the Pride, a Fiendslayer Paladin with a counter.

I mortars my Reckoner, deal 4 to the paladin, and pray he doesn't have a Brave the Elements.

He didn't and I nipped for lethal with my bird. Such a good match.

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:16 pm

You cant mortar your reckoner

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:36 pm

oops.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:44 pm

5-2 cuz my opponent was late and then dropped. I'll take what I can get too, since he admitted he's playing U/W Master of Babes.

*whew*

DS - whoops lol. It happened XD

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Scumbag Khaospawn :gonk: it seems you've learned some new tricks during your time in the shame hole.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Top tables are flooded with Mono U devotion /waves decks. Time to start packing Flames of the Firebrand again. That's the only way to chop that deck down at the knees.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:59 pm

Ham, I may have lucked out in the last match, but the Boros Blunder wasn't caught by the opponent, and it definitely wasn't intentional. I really thought at the time it was a legal play. :/

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Also, I didn't learn tricks. I TURNED them. XD

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Ghostflame, where are you when we need you.
I'm getting into serious brewing mode. Trying every fucking combination of colors ever made by human being.

I'd say that we need to find something that beats:
Devotion Decks (Blue, Red, Black, Green)
UW(B) Control

And we're done with this shit.

Possible decks I'd like to try out:
UG: Master Biomancer into Propeth of Krupix into Prime Speaker Zegana. They like flashy plays? They will get flashy plays.
UB: Ratchet Bombs wreck Aggro and Master of Babes.
UR: Anger of the Gods doesn't answer Master of Babes, just his tokens - but wrecks the rest of meta.
Boros: I think it's time for some sweet, sweet Kuroda guys.
Last edited by Yarpus on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:10 pm

I got thoroughly wrecked by a Waves deck in an 8man this morning, very hard to fight through without rocks to chain to.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:15 pm

I'd actually like to build the mono U waves to fuck around with. It actually looks fun.

I know, I know, it sounds blasphemous coming from me.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:25 pm

Hey Guys,

long time clan forum reader here, since RTR release, when i found back to Magic.
After a cheap start with RDW, i learned a lot from you and Zem's Sledgehammer deck, adopted it and could improve my playskill. After that i had a good time with R/G but my real life schedule doenst allowed me regularly FNMs.
I tried to get into MTGO with a few drafts and Theros should be my start with an STD Deck on there. I would like to join your clan, learn more about better game lines and maybe sometime i can contribute helpful experiences.

Actual im testing a PyroRed build in Tournament Practice and really like the different playstyle rather than RDW/RedDevotion. Still missing a third chandra and some other stuff...

its late over here, so sorry for my english
writing ^^
greetings from germany
stephan
Welcome aboard. Stay around and have fun.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:36 pm

2-1 at states. Beat junk midrange, lost to Esper control, beat UG evolve.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:40 pm

I've been experimenting with a Pyro Rakdos variant for just this. I think the current shell is definitely strong, it's just that the spell suite needs to change to keep the deck 1 for 1'ing with spells. I haven't had too much success yet making it work yet. The mana is a little shaky because Ashley, Phoenix, Hammer, and Chandra all require [mana]R[/mana][mana]R[/mana], while Doom Blade/Dreadbore need [mana]B[/mana] by turn 3 since Reckoner is basically uncastable. When I've had it come together, midrange decks basically fall flat on their faces.

Maybe I'm approaching the situation wrong and instead should go Boros for Chained to the Rocks, [card]Boros Charm[/card:
3nnhnlmn], and Glare of Heresy.
PyroRakdos & PyroBoros both have their pros & cons. PyroRakdos gives you more spells that let retain value out of YP$, kill problem creatures flat out & deal with Planeswalkers. Bad thing is the removal suite brought in with black doesn't give you the Phoenix recursion.

PyroBoros allows you to deal with enchantments, exiling problem creatures and you get Boros Charm. Can't necessarily deal with Planewalkers flat out like black can and may have trouble with Stormbreath Dragon. Boros overall has a better burn package which still lets you Phoenix away and get value out of YP$.

Haven't played PyroRed so may be speaking out of turn about it but from what I've seen from Z's discussions on the deck going Boros aligns in favor with the decks gameplan while opening you up to more sideboard options.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:49 pm

I had the weirdest thing happen to me just now in a 2-man. I was playing a MBC guy running Nightveil Specter and Desecration Demon. I boarded in my 2 Wear // Tears because I saw a Whip in game 1. In game 2, I slapped Chained to the Rocks on his first two Desecration Demons and started beating with a Phoenix. I don't have removal for his Specter, so I just decide to race him. He swings, exiles a Temple of Triumph, plays it and passes. I swing again and pass. He swings again, exiles a [card]Wear // Tear[/card] which he promply casts on my own Chained to the Rocks with my own Temple of Triumph. He passes, then I pass without attacking. I sac my Phoenix to his DD to tap it, then he swings through with his Specter again and exiles
the only other copy of [card]Wear // Tear[/card] which he promptly uses again on the 2nd Chained to the Rocks.

ARGH VARIANCE!
Last edited by hamfactorial on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:49 pm

I went 3-3 at states. I lost two games because I kept terrible terrible hands. I was stuck in this mindset that you don't have to mulligan when you play Pyro Red because you can cover for it with skillful play. I was very wrong. I'm very upset with myself for that, because otherwise I felt like I played my very best and definitely could have gotten top 8. The deck felt fine, the only change I would make is to add hammer back into the main. I'll put a report up in the Pyro Red thread soon.
Sig by NBW.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:52 pm

Also, I now remember that everyone around here plays midrange.
Sig by NBW.

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:13 pm

PyroRakdos & PyroBoros both have their pros & cons. PyroRakdos gives you more spells that let retain value out of YP$, kill problem creatures flat out & deal with Planeswalkers. Bad thing is the removal suite brought in with black doesn't give you the Phoenix recursion.

PyroBoros allows you to deal with enchantments, exiling problem creatures and you get Boros Charm. Can't necessarily deal with Planewalkers flat out like black can and may have trouble with Stormbreath Dragon. Boros overall has a better burn package which still lets you Phoenix away and get value out of YP$.

Haven't played PyroRed so may be speaking out of turn about it but from what I've seen from Z's discussions on the deck going Boros aligns in favor with the decks
gameplan while opening you up to more sideboard options.
Your analysis seems spot on. The dealing with planeswalkers bit only applies to Dreadboresince [mana]B[/mana][mana]B[/mana] of [card]Hero's Downfall[/card] is probably too hard on the mana base. At the moment, I don't think Stormbreath Dragon is too much of an issue. I haven't seen anyone run one yet. Which I hope continues so the price of the card goes down so I can get some :smileup:

Wrathberry2
Newcomer

Postby Wrathberry2 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:19 pm

Does anyone get the mono r deck list in the top 8 of pro tour? Why btw without a single card besides magmajet he can cast of it? No phoenixes.. I can't say I like that list

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:21 pm

I don't think dealing with Planeswalkers is particularly relevant and the white sideboard options are SO MUCH BETTER.

I'd much rather be able to board in Reckoner than Doom Blade in the semi-mirror.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:23 pm

Finished 6-2, barely beating Mono Red. Game 2 he blew up 3 mountains with Peak Eruption for 9 damage!!! And then game 3 culminated in a finale where we each had 3 Reckoners and phoenix,. My early game pressure, a la Cacklers (I know what you're thinking), allowed me to swing for lethal. His next topdeck was a Mogis.

Whew.

Welp, the rest of the rounds are still going, but I do know one thing : I bested my last year's record. And I know I get a bunch of prize packs. I doubt I got top 8 but I'm hoping either my brother or buddy gets in there.

Time to hit the hotel bar!

Not a bad tourney out of 169 players. :)

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:27 pm

Also,

MOGIS!!!

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:27 pm

:thumbsup:
Nicely done, Khaos.
Sig by NBW.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:28 pm

6-2 is VERY good and an easy top 16; well fucking done!!
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:30 pm

Thanks, guys. It means a lot to me.

<3 u guys.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”