Red Deck Wins

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

Alex
Not Even MAD
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Alex » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:23 am

Sure, you can get all snarky cuz I shot your card down, Alex, but it just doesn't quite get enough bang for the buck. You're welcome to prove me wrong, and I encourage you to do that, but Flamespeaker is a build around card. Not something that can just be thrown in a typical RDW list. Hell, Chandra's Phoenix, Hells Thunder, and Ball lightning are better options.
So force them to have it. You can't use the "trades 1 for 1 on mana" since Ball Lightning dies to literally every burn spell. They could play Electrolyze and 2 for 1 the shit out of you and you're out at LEAST three mana.

I would play Flamespeaker against control for decades and decades, especially out of the board. It comes down late enough that you have forced them to
have multiple answers already, and since it generates card advantage they have to answer it ASAP.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:30 am

He grapes them. He grapes them in the mouth!

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:34 am

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:33 pm

:rate5:

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Thu May 22, 2014 10:10 pm

Great article by Adrian Sullivan. The RDW moneyshot is towards the end.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/28 ... odern.html

Nicholas Heal's deck is like a combination of these masterpieces crafted by me and Val. But with fetches (and obviously not made for a beginner's budget).

20/20/20 fetchless build for those just venturing out into the wilderness of Modern.

[deck]
Creatures (20)
4 Goblin Guide
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Ash Zealot
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

Spells (20)
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Blood
4 Rift Bolt
3 Flame Javelin
2 Koth of the Hammer

Lands (20)
n20 Mountain
[/deck]
I'll see your list, Val, and raise you this masterpiece:

[deck]Goblin Burn[/deck]

Aside from the Goblin Guides, it has to be about the cheapest deck you can possibly make. XD
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu May 22, 2014 10:20 pm

Needs more infinite combo!

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu May 22, 2014 11:12 pm

Yeah I saw that list. There are a few choices I don't like but the deck really highlights the importance of Eidolon IMO. I'm really high on that card right now.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu May 22, 2014 11:25 pm

The only time I've played against the card online, the dude dealt 8 damage to himself casting Lightning Bolts trying to kill my Brimaz. Is the aggressive potential worth the self damage?

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu May 22, 2014 11:39 pm

I think so. It's a great hedge against Storm and other burn decks, and you can build your deck to take advantage of its strengths. Hellspark Elemental, Flame Javelin, Koth, Figure, and Lavaman all play well with it.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu May 22, 2014 11:43 pm

Cool :) it's the best sideboard card ever made for my mana sink deck.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri May 23, 2014 12:21 am

I would play it with a 3/1 split on Fanatic and a Spikeshot Elder, a 3/1 split on Lavamancer and Figure of Destiny, and replace the Rift Bolts with Searing Blood cuz I'm crazy like that.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat May 24, 2014 2:29 pm

Great article by Adrian Sullivan. The RDW moneyshot is towards the end.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/28 ... odern.html

Nicholas Heal's deck is like a combination of these masterpieces crafted by me and Val. But with fetches (and obviously not made for a beginner's budget).

20/20/20 fetchless build for those just venturing out into the wilderness of Modern.

[deck]
Creatures (20)
4 Goblin Guide
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Ash Zealot
4 Eidolon of the
Great Revel

Spells (20)
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Blood
4 Rift Bolt
3 Flame Javelin
2 Koth of the Hammer

Lands (20)
20 Mountain
[/deck]
I'll see your list, Val, and raise you this masterpiece:

[deck]Goblin Burn[/deck]

Aside from the Goblin Guides, it has to be about the cheapest deck you can possibly make. XD
[/
spoiler]
Anyone test Adrian Sullivan list? it looks adorable :D

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat May 24, 2014 3:22 pm

I'm not a fan of it. Personally, I think Geopede is better used in the Boros Landfall deck, but hey, that's just me. Now Heal 's deck, man that's a beast. It's everything I've been trying to do with RDW but I always felt that it was mission SOMETHING. Pretty sure that something was Eidolon. I made a few tweaks to the deck which I feel make it better suited for the long haul and I've sleeved it up. Hoping to get some games in with it on Monday.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat May 24, 2014 3:26 pm

I want to very badly. It actually looks competitive. I don't really like Plated Geopede here. I'd rather play Ash Zealot because it's more consistent, a better topdeck, and hates on Snapcaster which is a mainstay of the format.

Four maindeck Molten Rain really turns me on too.

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Sat May 24, 2014 6:44 pm

I like Ash Zealot over Geopede, Hatebear RDW FTW.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Sat May 24, 2014 8:37 pm

I want to very badly. It actually looks competitive. I don't really like Plated Geopede here. I'd rather play Ash Zealot because it's more consistent, a better topdeck, and hates on Snapcaster which is a mainstay of the format.

Four maindeck Molten Rain really turns me on too.
Yeah I really like the MD Molten Rains. That article got me thinking about splashing red in Merfolk for Bolt and Molten Rain. Molten Rain and Spreading Seas. Screw your lands, except the ones I want to Islandwalk all over.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat May 24, 2014 9:24 pm

I'm not a fan of it. Personally, I think Geopede is better used in the Boros Landfall deck, but hey, that's just me. Now Heal 's deck, man that's a beast. It's everything I've been trying to do with RDW but I always felt that it was mission SOMETHING. Pretty sure that something was Eidolon. I made a few tweaks to the deck which I feel make it better suited for the long haul and I've sleeved it up. Hoping to get some games in with it on Monday.
I must say, I do like the idea of simian spirit guide powering out early moons/rains. The geopedes look like shit and I wouldn't want to play half a million lands in my red deck, but the accelerated land death seems sweet.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat May 24, 2014 9:48 pm

I've been staring at my set of Simian Spirit Guides for months and I can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Heal's deck plays four Molten Rains and that's good enough for me. The deck plays 12 one drops so you can get ahead and stay ahead with some LD. That's my kind of style. I fell in love with Molten Rain when I played 2 copies in Burn but it competed for space alongside Flames of the Bloodhand, which is more important, so it had to go. Now I have a reason to go back to my forbidden love....

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat May 24, 2014 10:33 pm

I'm on the RDW brewing train, boys. Got my set of Eidolons and I'm ready to CRUSH.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Where I want to start (no idea why format screwed up here).

[deck]
Creatures ( 23)
4 goblin guide
3 grim lavamancer
4 eidolon of the great revel
4 ash zealot
4 magus of the moon
4 simian spirit guide

Spells ( 16)
4 lightning bolt
2 forked bolt
4 searing blaze
4 molten rain
2 koth of the hammer

Lands (21)
4 arid mesa
4 scalding tarn
2 shocklands
11 mountain
[/deck]

Just need to figure out what the splash color will be. Black is fine. White could be useful too.

Cards I want in my sideboard include Chandra, Pyromaster (ridiculous against control and small aggro), Searing Blood, Pillar of Flame (Pod), Combust.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun May 25, 2014 12:21 am

I love the inclusion of Ash over Geopede, not really sure I dig Koth in this format so I think I rather run 4x Shrines since I notice Adrian Sullivan was struggling with UWr.

In regards with splash, I'll go for Black just for the combo hate and dismember (I dislike the idea of running PtE with LD).

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun May 25, 2014 2:04 am

Played 2 games with neals deck so far and really like it.

I'm probably crazy, but I'm gonna try searing blood over searing blaze. The pros of blood are that it kills all the same creatures blaze does while still dealing three. The cons being if you can't kill the creature, blaze still deals a damage.

I also want to get rid of those dragon claws in the board. They seem pretty low impact, but then again, it might be good enough vs. storm and it's a psuedo mirror breaker.

1 Figure is awesome, not so sure about the spikeshot. I might try the deck wtih 2 figures's instead.

Overall solid list. I could also see jamming 1 prophetic flamespeaker to see if it does anything, but that'll be a later test depending on how everything else goes.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun May 25, 2014 2:23 am

Also, Keldon megaliths has claimed several victims.

Patrick chapin

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun May 25, 2014 2:42 am

Did you find Simian Spirit Guide too cute (it does only shine on T1-2)?

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun May 25, 2014 2:46 am

LP:

Searing Blood only deals 2, but it's still a good card in Modern with so many small utility creatures. In a low land deck, it can be more reliable than Searing Blaze, while less powerful in nut draw situations.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun May 25, 2014 3:03 am

Haven't tried the spirit guide version.

Learened that VD is pretty good against merfolk.

Deck also has a lot of decision trees which makes for interesting gameplay.

Patrick chapin

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun May 25, 2014 3:11 am

How is the UWr and Pod MU with Neal's deck? Kitchen Fink and Lighting Helix seem terrifying.

ZERO 1cc 2 damage exile cards seem odd in a RDW deck.....

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun May 25, 2014 4:08 am

Yeah, I think I'm gonna add a pillar of flame in the mix somewhere. As for the aforementioned matchups, haven't gotten any specific testing in, just been playing against random decks to get a feel for the list. More answers will come soon I'm sure :D

Patrick chapin

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun May 25, 2014 5:00 am

Yeah, I think I'm gonna add a pillar of flame in the mix somewhere. As for the aforementioned matchups, haven't gotten any specific testing in, just been playing against random decks to get a feel for the list. More answers will come soon I'm sure :D
I was watching his deck-tech, he manage to convince on Mr Fantasic aka Mogg Fanatic which is great because I LOVE that card.

In regards with the MUs I mention above - app. he has a really good MU vs Green decks so the main problem becomes UWr.

The answer we have for that deck in Mono-Red would be more LD or Shrines in the SB not sure which is better but I'll imagine the [card:
82t7jnow]Simian Spirit Guide[/card] version would improve that MU dramatically.

Man... I'm really looking forward to testing this deck, I just need to either A) Sell Robots or Bx (but Angelpagan has my Bx deck and Jonnymagic has 65% Robot deck) B) Hope my economical predictions where correct and rake in profits from THS or C) Just buy the darn cards (but I don't want to spend money on a game which I've been playing for free for so long...).

Since I can't test (for now) I really look forward too your reports guys :smileup:

He is pretty Fantastic, isn't he?

LP~

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun May 25, 2014 5:06 am

I just want to cast Koth on turn three. Is that too much to ask?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun May 25, 2014 5:31 am

Got some testing in vs. actual good decks.

Affinity: I thought this matchup would be even to slightly unfavorable, but I actually shat all over the robots. Mogg Fanatic is basically lighning bolt against there deck since it kills all there creatures and lava mana gets to do it multiple times. Once you have damage dealers on board, EotGR can take over the game. All the 2 for 1s. And post board, you even get dedicated hate!

UWR(geist version): Shrine is obviously a big pain for them as they can't remove it once it's in play. Eidolon is usually worth at least 2 points, sometimes more and is the big reason why this matchup is winnable. Your mana denial is also good here as it not only gives you a nice tempo boost(keeping them off of cryptic/resto), it doubles as a clean answer to Colonnade which is there main closer.

Game 1 can be particularly tough if you flood out on seering bloods though and they don't present you
with targets. If they do though, it's very winnable. I lost a close game where I drew all four bloods and got blown out when on the last turn, I went double blood on his resto and he countered the second.

Helix is annoying, but not the end of the world. We have cards in our deck that give us some small amount of lategame staying power in Figure, Eidolon, and shrine. That and just hoarding bolts can be enough to get there sometimes. Post board you have blood moon and if that sticks, you just win the game. Beware though that moon is NOT good against the kiki version as they play plenty of basics and need just one plains to get resto in play at which point you have to leave mana up the whole game to not die to jiki.

As for the board of neals deck, the spellbombs make a lot of sense when you start playing the deck as there are matchups where a bunch of the cards in your deck are unplayable(VD, Seering whatever) and spellbomb does double duty of being a burn spells and being able to cycle when you need
it to. It's one of those cards you should never maindeck but you board it in all the time.

Still think dragon claw is terrible, still haven't tested it to verify my brilliance.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun May 25, 2014 5:35 am

If the UWR matchup does prove fairly difficult, I'd try:

A) More Shrine
2) Koth
Eh) Magus of the Moon

In order from most likely to succeed to probably gonna fail horribly.

Patrick chapin

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun May 25, 2014 5:53 am

If the UWR matchup does prove fairly difficult, I'd try:

A) More Shrine
Most likely our best bet follow by additional creatures in the SB like Keldon Marauders or 1 extra land like Keldon Megaliths
2) Koth
With Neil's list this is like a T6 play (if we're lucky) which makes it counter bait - Koth is better in Val's version
Eh) Magus of the Moon
I prefer Blood Moon vs them, since it slows them down quite a lot

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun May 25, 2014 6:40 am

I'd honestly be fine taking out those dragon claws...

Patrick chapin

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun May 25, 2014 6:56 am

[Deck=BBBSGDW (lolwut)]
Creatures:23
4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Ember Hauler
4 Blade Splicer
4 Restoration Angel
3 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

Spells:12
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
4 Flame Javelin

Lands:25
4 Arid Mesa
4 Clifftop Retreat
4 Marsh Flats
9 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry

Sideboard:15[/deck]

I've been pooping on kids in the MTGO practice room for most of the evening with this bastard RW combo aggro good stuff pile.

Turns out that Eidolon is fucking bonkers in Modern. Who knew?

Making a bunch of Ember Hauler copies with Kiki-Jiki is quite satisfying. As is infinite angel tokens, but I think we all knew that.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun May 25, 2014 6:56 am

If I'm able to head to a Modern tournament on Monday, this is what I'd bring:

[deck]
Creature 20
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer
1 Figure of Destiny
3 Mogg Fanatic
1 Spikeshot Elder
4 Vexing Devil

Spells 20
2 Shrine of Burning Rage
2 Forked Bolt
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift bolt
4 Searing Blaze
4 Molten Rain

Land 20
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Keldon Megaliths
11 Mountain

Sideboard 15
2 Pillar of Flame
4 Pyrite Spellbomb
2 Blood Moon
2 Dismember
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Smash to Smithereens
1 Shattering Spree [/deck]

Gonna have to try it like this before I know if I'll be able to get away with taking out the Rift Bolts in favor of Searing Blood. Also, I can't imagine I'd need Dragon's Claw for any Storm, Burn, or mirror match. I feel okay with Eidolon maindecked. I switched the Dragon's Claw out for Pillar of Flame. Heal said in the decktech that Kitchen
Finks were wrecking him. But while I'd like to move Pillar of Flame to the main, I actually think Forked Bolt is better for Game 1 since it's better against a wider variety of decks.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun May 25, 2014 7:39 am

Cut the spikeshot for something else. I've tested it today fairly extensively and while not terrible it's the worst card in the main by about a mile. Figure's aweseome, but I wouldn't play 2 as I drew them both once and the sensation was equivalent to gettting tested for clamydia. I'd lean towards having that slot be either the 4th fanatic or grim. This is basically what these cards do:

Fanatic: randomly good vs. green decks/affinity, deal 8 damage for no reason against everything else that doesn't block cause nigga's don't remove it.

Grim: Target player discards a removal spell cause grim is a must kill vs. a wide swath of the field.

Seering blood over blaze gets my seal of approval.

Just tested vs. storm with Tube and the matchup was highly favorable so if that's the main reason to play dragons claw, don't bother. Burn and the mirror are another thing entirely but I don't think that's the axis I'd
try to fight those matchups on(at least not the mirror) and I don't THINK they're popular enough to warrant uber specific hate.

Pillar is a good use for that slot. I'd probably go something like 1 pillar 1 shrine personally since shrine is a beating vs. UWR but double pillar is fine.

Overall, this deck is fantastic. And I think I'll PTQ with it when the season comes around if I can aquire some fetches.

Patrick chapin

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun May 25, 2014 9:19 am

[Deck=BBBSGDW (lolwut)]
Creatures:23
4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Ember Hauler
4 Blade Splicer
4 Restoration Angel
3 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

Spells:12
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
4 Flame Javelin

Lands:25
4 Arid Mesa
4 Clifftop Retreat
4 Marsh Flats
9 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry

Sideboard:15[/deck]

I've been pooping on kids in the MTGO practice room for most of the evening with this bastard RW combo aggro good stuff pile.

Turns out that Eidolon is fucking bonkers in Modern. Who knew?

Making a bunch of Ember Hauler copies with Kiki-Jiki is quite satisfying. As is infinite angel tokens, but I think we all knew that.
Neat deck,just change Marsh Flats for Scalding Tarn and we are set
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun May 25, 2014 1:59 pm

Heh, oops. Yeah that should be Tarn :)

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun May 25, 2014 2:00 pm

Also, Fulminator Mage + Kiki for max lulz.

Return to “Aggro”