Red Deck Wins

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

Yannaria
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Red Deck Wins

Postby Yannaria » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Testing this build currently, any suggestions?

[deck]
4 Goblin Guide
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lavaspike
4 Vexing Devil
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Keldon Marauders
3 Searing Blaze
4 Hell's Thunder
3 Lightning Javeline
2 Hellrider
1 Hero of Oxid Ridge
22 Mountain

[/deck]

Manasjap

Postby Manasjap » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Maybe you want to play some Teetering Peaks

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:49 am

Figure of Destiny is perfect for this deck.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Aesnath
Newcomer

Postby Aesnath » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:00 pm

You're too creature heavy to really be a "burn" deck--as a result, I'd run something other than lava spike and vexing devil--either burn that functions as removal or reliable, aggressive creatures.
Figure of Destiny is perfect for this deck.
Agreed--a must have in this list.

Yannaria
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yannaria » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Changed to black red burn, probably playing it at modern FNM tonight. will post results.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:54 am

This is my list, I'd appreciate some suggestions

[deck]4 goblin guide
4 keldon marauders
4 stormblood berserker
4 hellspark elemental
4 ash zealot
4 lightning bolt
4 incinerate
4 magma jet
4 rift bolt
4 lava spike
20 mountain[/deck]

Probably need to replace the berserkers with a 1 drop. I probably need another one drop. Not sure what. Also need a SB, I do have blood moons.
Could also make legacy burn because I have 4 chain lightnings just chillin, but lack price of progress. I lack the fetch's to run Lavamancer. Suggestions?

Speedbump
Newcomer

Postby Speedbump » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:30 am

[deck]4 goblin guide
4 keldon marauders
4 stormblood berserker
4 hellspark elemental
4 ash zealot
4 lightning bolt
4 incinerate
4 magma jet
4 rift bolt
4 lava spike
20 mountain[/deck]

Probably need to replace the berserkers with a 1 drop. I probably need another one drop. Not sure what. Also need a SB, I do have blood moons.
Could also make legacy burn because I have 4 chain lightnings just chillin, but lack price of progress. I lack the fetch's to run Lavamancer. Suggestions?
If you're running less than 8 fetches, Grim Lavamancer is going to be hard to justify, although that's the best you can reach running Mono-Red in Modern. The optimal amount
to run is 10-12 fetches, if you were to apply this for Legacy Burn. The other 2-cost I'd consider in the maindeck is something like Skullcrack, although Stigma Lasher is better against decks running Tarmogoyf/Kitchen Finks. Searing Blaze is a nice card, but is hard to use without fetches.

I'd definitely include cards like Smash to Smithereens in the sideboard though.
Scrubbiest Scrub of FoS.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:17 pm

I played this list a lot in M12 Standard, and won a few 1ks as well as a Starcity IQ with it. I'm probably going to port it over to Modern, the deck felt very tight and resilient to a lot of things that the RDW lists lost to in that format.

[deck]Creatures (18)
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Goblin Guide
4 Grim Lavamancer
2 Hero of Oxid Ridge
4 Stormblood Berserker

Spells (19)
2 Burst Lightning
3 Dismember
2 Incinerate
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Searing Blaze
4 Shrine of Burning Rage
2 Staggershock

Land (23)
4 Arid Mesa
11 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Teetering Peaks

Sideboard (15)
2 Act of Aggression
2 Arc Trail
1 Dismember
1 Hero of Oxid Ridge
3 Koth of the Hammer
1 Manabarbs
4 Manic Vandal
1 Searing Blaze[/deck]

Where do you guys think I should start? The list looks pretty typical, but there HAS to be some upgrades available in a more open format, right?

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:07 am

Alex, I love the list. Do you feel like Ash Zealot may have a home in this build? Hellrider even? I've been brewing up a list in my head for the last few days that's a mix of this deck (I played a similar build myself back then) and my current Standard deck.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:23 am

Ash Zealot is probably better than Burst Lightning just because Burst Lightning is like the shittiest burn in the list. Hellrider is not as good as Hero of Oxid Ridge, though, which is just a nuts card.

I might also cut Staggershock for Stonewright. But other than that I think the list is pretty tight. I certainly need to test it.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:41 am

I was thinking of a weird build like this:

[deck]
Creatures (26)
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer
3 Figure of Destiny
2 Stonewright
4 Ash Zealot
4 Stormblood Berserker
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Hero of Oxid Ridge

Artifact (4)
4 Shrine of Burning Rage

Burn (8)
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Searing Blaze

Land (22)
2 Teetering Peaks
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
12 Mountain[/deck]

It's been on my mind ever since I went to work at 5 o'clock this morning.

Edit: I do wonder if 8 sources of direct damage is enough to fuel the Phoenixes - when I last played with them I ran 12-14 burn spells. I also wonder if I should even move the Shrine to the board in favor of some more burn, but the only way to know for certain is to playtest.

Man, I need to find time to do that! :gonk:

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:30 pm

I really would have loved to play a list like that in standard. Seems like I got into the game a little too late. Hopefully testing shows that the list works in modern, as it seems to be a combination of some of my favorite cards. It doesn't seem like the build works around the phoenix enough to dedicate 4 slots to the card. I'd try something a little more damage oriented, like Keldon Marauders or Hellspark Elemental. The hole that this would create in the 3 drop spot doesn't seem too harmful with all of the mana sinks. Then again, I've never played Modern RDW, so who knows if my words even mean anything.
Sig by NBW.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Wed May 01, 2013 12:17 am

I really would have loved to play a list like that in standard. Seems like I got into the game a little too late. Hopefully testing shows that the list works in modern, as it seems to be a combination of some of my favorite cards. It doesn't seem like the build works around the phoenix enough to dedicate 4 slots to the card. I'd try something a little more damage oriented, like Keldon Marauders or Hellspark Elemental. The hole that this would create in the 3 drop spot doesn't seem too harmful with all of the mana sinks. Then again, I've never played Modern RDW, so who knows if my words even mean anything.
Chandra's Phoenix is rad, it's like a better version of Ash Zealot.

You point Lightning Bolts at the head often enough to make the recursion
relevant, too.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Fri May 03, 2013 9:10 pm

what few red decks existed in the Scars/Inn standard used Koth of the Hammer in many builds. Does he have a home in Modern RDW?
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Yannaria
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yannaria » Sat May 04, 2013 12:21 am

I'd say no. Hellrider or Hero of Oxid ridge are better options for a creature dense build of RDW. Koth is good against control though, so he could have a sideboard slot if you have a problem with it.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat May 04, 2013 12:54 am

Koth is basically a free win against control, yeah. Very good sideboard card.

I never actually played him mainboard in my Standard version.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun May 05, 2013 3:39 am

I played a lot of, what I guess you might call, 'Koth control' decks; where all you did was land Koth and/or Shrine and sit on them to victory. That sort of deck was VERY different to a RDW obviously, but the archetype was a lot of fun. Proliferating Koth and/or Shrine was ridiculous basically.

I don't know how good Beserker is in the format, but the rest of the cards I am seeing look good ~ Stonewright might be very slightly too soft for the format? Ghitu Encampment or Mutavault might be worth a look if you're on 22-23 lands as well. Hellrider seems better than Hero; although there are a LOT of 1/x and 0/x creatures in modern, so I guess it's a wash.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Yannaria
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yannaria » Sun May 05, 2013 3:26 pm

I prefer Hero over Hellrider given the massive amount of 1/xs in modern right now. Stonewright is too slow, better things can be played. Beserker would be nice to try but I think that Hellspark Elemental and Keldon Mauradurs would be better.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Tue May 07, 2013 9:58 pm

[deck]4 goblin guide
4 keldon marauders
4 stormblood berserker
4 hellspark elemental
4 ash zealot
4 lightning bolt
4 incinerate
4 magma jet
4 rift bolt
4 lava spike
20 mountain[/deck]

Some one drops to consider: Figure of Destiny, Spark Elemental, Magus of the Scroll, [card]Tattermunge Maniac[/
card], Vexing Devil... 8-)

Figure of Destiny is probably your best choice in a build without fetches.

As for spells, the Incinerates should probably be Shard Volley.

Sideboard...if you have only basic lands, you should definitely put some Blood Moons there. Smash to Smithereens against artifacts, or Shattering Spree. Smash is probably better since it does damage as well, and when your opponent slaps down a Chalice of the Void with one counter on it you really don't want to have a Shattering Spree in your hand. Volcanic Fallout is your preferred sweeper, it's an Instant, can't be countered and it damages the opponent as well. Torpor Orb against Pod decks. [card]Faerie Macabre[/card:
1yf6wrok] is a good graveyard removal card, as is Relic of Progenitus. Your could start with something like this:

[deck]
SB example
4 Smash to Smithereens
3 Torpor Orb
2 Relic of Progenitus
3 Blood Moon
3 Volcanic Fallout
[/deck]

What shocklands do you have available? Any Copperline Gorges or Blackcleave Cliffs?

If you have the cards for a Legacy burn build, get those Price of Progresses. They're really needed in the deck, everyone fears it when they see that you're running a burn deck.
Last edited by Platypus on Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig by NBW

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Tue May 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks for the input. I have the shard volleys, I have a playset of all the shocks so I could go another color. I think I have everything for the Legacy build besides the PoP. Not sure how that list needs to look though.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Tue May 07, 2013 10:18 pm

With Black you can put in Bump in the Night as another burn spell, but without fetches you need to go with 4 Blood Crypts and 4 Blackcleave Cliffs. You also gain Rakdos Charm as a good sideboard card.

With Green you could go the Gruul Zoo route. Tarmogoyfs are of course best to have, but there are some decent cheaper alternatives.

I posted two builds of the above in the clan thread today.

I could send you my Legacy burn list if you want it. It's currently fetchless and perhaps not the best possible build, but it's a starting point at least.
Sig by NBW

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Tue May 07, 2013 10:50 pm

I saw the Gruul Zoo build and liked it alot. Only thing I'm missing are the fetches (well and Kird Apes but that isn't a big deal) I'll take a look at your legacy list as well. Not sure if it's any better than my Tezz Affinity build but that deck is super easy sb against and hate out.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Wed May 08, 2013 3:44 pm

Proliferating Koth and/or Shrine was ridiculous basically.
From what I can tell the only Proliferate in Red for Modern is Volt Charge, is that correct?

For buddy colors in R/x modern decks I'm not finding any proliferate in white and bad options in green and black.

I ran Volt Charge in my Scars/Inn RDW. Proliferating Stormblood Berserker, Koth of the Hammer, and Shrine of Burning Rage all at once was nuts, all while dealing 3. But does the card make the cut in modern at a cost of 2R?
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Wed May 08, 2013 7:26 pm

Yeah I had a lot of fun last year with RDW. Too bad we lost tons of good stuff.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Wed May 08, 2013 10:16 pm

Proliferate isn't a thing in modern, no. Tezzeret's Gambit and Contagion Clasp were the other pillars of the 'red' proliferate deck.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Fri May 10, 2013 8:49 pm

This is more of a Gruul Deck Wins list, but I would like some input. You'll notice right away that I have no Goyfs (I don't have any), or Lavamancers (not sure if this was a good choice) in my list.

[DECK]
Lands (19)
4x Arid Mesa
4x Copperline Gorge
1x Forest
2x Mountain
4x Stomping Ground
4x Verdant Catacombs

Creatures (32)
4x Burning-Tree Emissary
4x Experiment One
4x Flinthoof Boar
4x Ghor-Clan Rampager
4x Goblin Guide
4x Kird Ape
4x Stormblood Berserker
4x Vexing Devil

Spells (7)
2x Dismember
4x Lightning Bolt
1x Seal of Fire
2x Searing Blaze

Sideboard (15)
2x Act of Aggression
3x Ancient Grudge
2x Arc Trail
3x Relic of Progenitus
2x Sowing Salt
3x Vines of Vastwood
[/DECK]

The VD's are mostly for activating Evolve, but I've been looking at other creatures to fill this spot, like Jackal Familiar or [cards]Spark Elemental[/cards].
I've also considered Mogg Flunkies or Ash Zealot instead of Berserker.
SM, you complete me. :love:

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri May 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Since you have 8 fetches I'd consider 1-2 Grim Lavamancer. As for Ash Zealot instead of Berserker...well Ash Zealot is good, but it can't be cast from BTE mana. Some other thoughts:

- The lone Seal of Fire, why? You don't have Tarmogoyfs, so you don't need an enchantment in the graveyard. And the Eggs deck is gone, right? So you don't need it for that either. I'd rather have third Searing Blaze.
- Sowing Salt at four mana seems expensive with 19 lands. Maybe Molten Rain instead, if you want land destruction.
- Act of Aggression seems out of place, I'd consider Traitorous Blood or Act of Treason instead if you want that effect. Paying AoAs phyrexian mana with mana instead of life makes it cost 4 or 5, and then it starts to be too expensive. I'm not sure instant vs sorcery speed is of added value here, but perhaps I'm missing something.
- Vexing Devil...I've noticed it in lots of modern Gruul Zoo lists, mostly
for evolving E1. I don't know...I haven't played with the card myself and I'm not going to just blindly repeat the FoS clan mantra: VD is bad. It just feels iffy, though. I have Rancor instead in my Gruul Zoo. If I'd consider creatures instead of the VDs/Rancors, I'd try Tattermunge Maniac or Hellspark Elemental (I like this one better than Spark Elemental). Or perhaps just 2x Grim Lavamancer + 2x Rancor.

My version is almost identical, except: -4x Vexing Devil, -1x Seal of Fire, +4x Rancor, +1x Searing Blaze, and less fetches. But my SB differs quite a bit, although it's not tested at the moment:

[deck]SB
4 Volcanic Fallout
1 Dismember
3 Ancient Grudge
3 Deglamer
4 Vines of Wastwood[/deck]
Sig by NBW

Calamity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Calamity » Sat May 25, 2013 4:15 am

Going to be getting into modern soon to take a break from standard. Have two RDW lists in mind, one mono red one without fetches, one Dega one for when i do. Here are my first attempts at building for Modern:

[deck]RDW[/deck]

[deck]Dega burn[/deck]

Thoughts? Is vexing devil actually worth playing in Modern? Is ash zealot needed anymore now that storm is
pretty much gone? Is magma jet worth running? I've found it quite useful but I never see anyone else run it in modern.
Official Firebat of FoS

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 25, 2013 3:06 pm

I'm a bit biased towards auto-denying Vexing Devil any spot in any list ever, but I've honestly not used him in Modern. Test him and give him a shot?

Regardless of storm's presence in Modern, 2/2 Haste and First Strike for :symr: :symr: is good enough to consider play. You can move her to the sideboard in RDW in lieu of more burn if it suits you.

I like Magma Jet. I have seen it played in RDW lists before, but I see Searing Blaze more often.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Tue May 28, 2013 1:48 am

Answered this in the other place you posted it :)
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

DarthStabber
Tire Aficionado

Postby DarthStabber » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:32 am

Building my own cheapish version deck, don't have a good modern deck, and most of my legacy rdw deck isn't modern legal (and not that great).
Thoughts? (Barely have md done, sb is in complete flux)
[Deck]
4 stromkirk noble
4 figure of destiny
4 keldon marauder
4 hellspark elemental
4 ash zealot
2 chandra's phoenix
3 hellrider

4 flame javelin
4 lightning bolt
3 rift bolt

2 shrine of burning RAGE

22 mountain
[/deck]
thanks to nbw for the sig.
You do need to try to gay it up a little more.

You're like the least gay member of this clan.

And that's counting the fact that you voluntarily have sex with men.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:41 am

Stromkirk Noble is unplayable in modern.
Sig by NBW.

DarthStabber
Tire Aficionado

Postby DarthStabber » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:54 am

I can't afford goblin guides at the moment, and without fetches and more burn grim lavamancer is going to seriously under perform (my legacy deck uses grim, but the fetches are the onslaught ones, and I have little interest in paying out the back side to acquire the modern ones). What other one drop am I going to run?
thanks to nbw for the sig.
You do need to try to gay it up a little more.

You're like the least gay member of this clan.

And that's counting the fact that you voluntarily have sex with men.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:44 am

I can't afford goblin guides at the moment, and without fetches and more burn grim lavamancer is going to seriously under perform (my legacy deck uses grim, but the fetches are the onslaught ones, and I have little interest in paying out the back side to acquire the modern ones). What other one drop am I going to run?
Signal Pest or Vault Skirge.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:49 am

By the way if you're trying to not spend too much on Modern, I would suggest you read my article and ponder over some of the lists.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1181

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Build Goblins instead.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 pm

^Without Goblin Guides? Is that viable?
Sig by NBW

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:31 pm

^Without Goblin Guides? Is that viable?
Maybe, but only beacuase it is easier to find a replacement for Goblin Guide in a goblin deck. And I think it would still be better than the list he has now.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:33 pm

As great as Goblin Guide is, he's not the "end-all, be-all."

In a Mono Red deck that wants to play only 8-10 1-drops, then yes, he's a crucial element. However, when you factor in the tribal synergy of Goblins, you usually want to just play Foundry Street Denizen first, followed by a Krenko's Command or Mogg War Marshal. Would the deck benefit from Goblin Guide? Yes. But does the deck fail without him? Absolutely not.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:57 pm

I don't think it would fail without him, but since the low curve goblin deck has such an all-in strategy, you need to be fast. So, the question is if the deck is fast enough to stand a chance. Maybe a higher curve goblin deck with Krenko, Mob Boss and Siege-Gang Commanders is better in that case?
Sig by NBW

Return to “Aggro”