Savra, Queen of the Golgari

Decklists intended for multiplayer games can be posted here

Moderator: Manasjap

Jack
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Jack » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:55 pm

Also, is there a reason why you play Necrologia instead of Necropotence?
And another point. If I'm in green, I'll ALWAYS play as many sorcery ramp spells as I can before I even think about adding signets/keyrunes or other types of artifact ramp (unless it's really good, like Sol Ring or Gilded Lotus) simply because land destruction is a lot less common than artifact destruction, and they both fix your mana. Try Cultivate, Skyshroud Claim, Farseek, and Kodama's Reach. Wood Elves might also be better than Farhaven Elf since you have a Forest Swamp in your deck.
Sig by NBW.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Also, is there a reason why you play Necrologia instead of Necropotence?
Not sure. Have to think about it. I was under the impression the card was expensive and I just looked it up to find that this is not the case. That said, Necropotence probably draws a lot of hate.

Signet and Keyrune are only there for flavor. I'm trying my best not to completely powergame the deck out.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:15 am

OUT: Stronghold Assassin, Golgari Guildmage, Necrogenesis, Grave Betrayal
IN: Worldly Tutor, Skullclamp, Mimic Vat, Sakura-Tribe Elder

Finally got my Mimic Vat and Skullclamp. Also got a Worldly Tutor and I've found that I simply cannot have enough tutor effects in this deck. I felt like I wanted another card that can sac to itself so I have added Sakura-Tribe Elder as yet another creature that can ramp. It replaces Golgari Guildmage which has little impact until the late game. Stronghold Assassin and Necrogenesis come out for Skullclamp and Mimic Vat. Grave Betrayal comes out for the Tutor. Betrayal drew FAR too much hate around the board in multiplayer games and I want my permanents to be a little less ominous to my opponents.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Out: Sheoldred, Whispering One, Vulturous Zombie, Korozda Guildmage, Gleancrawler, Strionic Resonator, Putrefy
In: Entomb, Buried Alive, Animate Dead, Reanimate, Rune-Scarred Demon, Geralf's Messenger

The creatures I took out didn't really do anything the turn I played them so I dropped them. I wanted more tutor and recursion effects so I brought in Reanimate, Animate Dead, Entomb, Rune-Scarred Demon, and Buried Alive. Geralf's Messenger is a placeholder until I get Dance of the Dead, but I can also go infinite with it and Nim Deathmantle without having Mikaeus on the field.

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:35 pm

So, you gonna do it? You gonna play the better Recurring Nightmare and Champion those Stray Souls?
҉

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:39 pm

better Recurring Nightmare
:crazy:
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Why sac one guy when you can sac all the guys!?

Like, once this guy is in play and your opponents don't have removal and the turn has passed so he's not summoning sick and you have at least three other creatures (since, let's face it, casting Recurring Nightmare twice for 6 mana is probably still better than activating this guy once for 5) and you have at least three desireable targets in the graveyard and you have Savra in play, that's just good. :cool2:
҉

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:01 pm

I think I already have that covered with my Ashnod's Altar + Nim Deathmantle combo. The deck already plays so much value that I just can't imagine needing more from a guy that's less efficient than my other engines.

Also, concerning Necropotence vs Necrologia, I've determined I like the latter more because I don't have to exile cards when I discard them from my hand. That's the last thing I want to do in a deck that plays from the graveyard as often as this one does.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:08 pm

Why sac one guy when you can sac all the guys!?

Like, once this guy is in play and your opponents don't have removal and the turn has passed so he's not summoning sick and you have at least three other creatures (since, let's face it, casting Recurring Nightmare twice for 6 mana is probably still better than activating this guy once for 5) and you have at least three desireable targets in the graveyard and you have Savra in play, that's just good. :cool2:
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: --> :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:33 pm

I think I already have that covered with my Ashnod's Altar + Nim Deathmantle combo. The deck already plays so much value that I just can't imagine needing more from a guy that's less efficient than my other engines.
Yeah, that's what I figured, but was curious to hear it from a Savra player directly. If the Savra deck doesn't want this guy, no one will. Might be fun in more casual groups at least.
҉

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:44 pm

Well, Nightmare is banned and Champ will never, ever be, so I guess that's a point in its favor.

I love the D...

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Right, it's better. ;)
҉

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:48 pm

In a multiplayer format, Necropotence is also a fairly significant liability due to the loss of card draw and the amount of life loss. If the game goes long, and you're -1 card per turn, and -X life per turn, you can be in a pretty tough situation fast. If you're in good position to combo out with extra turns etc., that's not so bad, but I def think Necrologia has the edge in a lot of circumstances.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:24 am

Out: Sylvan Primordial, Lightning Greaves, Swiftfoot Boots
In: Gravecrawler, Gleancrawler, Precursor Golem

With Sylvan Primordial banned, I decided to bring Gravecrawler into the deck as another cheap recursive creature. With another zombie in play it makes Ashnod's Altar, Grave Pact, Savra, etc do some silly things.

I've been unimpressed by the Greaves and Boots lately so I've taken them out for more creatures. Gleancrawler finds its way back in the deck and Precursor Golem makes an appearance as yet another token generator.

I'd like to get my hands on a Veteran Explorer for the deck.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat May 17, 2014 11:55 am

I feel like this deck really wants to include Su-Chi, especially since it has Nim Deathmantle and the appropriate sac outlets.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon May 19, 2014 12:17 am

That is a neat card. Definitely something I'm interested in.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed May 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Out: Butcher of Malakir
In: Abhorrent Overlord

The Butcher wasn't really doing anything and I value cards with ETB effects in this deck. Abhorrent Overlord was an obvious card to put in the deck.

Next I'm considering cutting Creakwood Liege. The token creation is a bit slow and it's lord effect turns off my Skullclamp value plan which is very bad. I'm also wanting to cut It That Betrays because every time I've had it in my hand I've never done anything with it. I think it could be a cheaper creature with a more relevant effect for the early game. I also want Dictate of Erebos in my deck.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:50 pm

I'm about to sell some of my Standard staples before rotation, allowing me to purchase some Eternal cards and make some big changes to this deck.

In: Bloodghast, Viridian Shaman, Eternal Witness, Sylvan Ranger, Agent of Erebos, Brutalizer Exarch, Dictate of Erebos, Deathreap Ritual
Out: It that Betrays, [card]Down / Dirty[/card], [card]Geralf's Messenger[/card], Creakwood Liege, Armillary Sphere, Gleancrawler, Precursor Golem, Morbid Plunder

Bloodghast is
insane with Skullclamp and comes back pretty much every turn in this deck. Since I'm bringing in Eternal Witness I can get rid of Down / Dirty. Viridian Shaman provides more artifact hate that I can tutor up with Birthing Pod. Sylvan Ranger comes in to fix my mana while working well with Skullclamp, and I can cut Armillary Sphere since I'm bringing her in. Agent of Erebos provides some tutorable graveyard hate while also being a zombie for Gravecrawler. Brutalizer Exarch can push noncreatures to the bottom of libraries or tutor a creature. Dictate of Erebos is Grave Pact #2. Deathreap Ritual (the new card from Conspiracy) seems like a better Greater Good in this deck to me since I have so many creatures with power less than three, and it's also a hell of a lot more flavorful.

As for the rest of the cuts, It that Betrays has just been a winmore for me. Geralf's Messenger is mana intensive and is only really there to be a zombie while comboing with Nim Deathmantle and Ashnod's Altar, and I already have
a lot of other cards that can do the latter. Creakwood Liege pumps my x/1s which is a nonbo with Skullclamp. I already have too many cards in the deck similar to Precursor Golem so it comes out. Now that I can cycle Eternal Witness I think Morbid Plunder can go. Gleancrawler has been a bit superfluous for me but marginally useful at times so I may actually bring it back in if I find some situations where I'd want the effect.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:55 am

Last edited by Valdarith on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:33 am

Why'd you cut beast within?
Sig by NBW.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:43 am

You should also definitely look into grabbing a Phyrexian Tower and High Market.
Sig by NBW.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:20 pm

Those are next on my list.

I'm trying to focus more on effects from my creatures. I cut Beast Within now that I have more creatures that can take care of things that I was killing with Beast Within. Brutalizer Exarch, Indrik Stomphowler, Woodfall Primus, Terastadon, Acidic Slime, etc. It's also helpful that I have creature effects that can recur these whereas that was more difficult with Beast Within.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:23 pm

I also messed up and put Mitotic Slime as being in but it's definitely out. I need to clean that post up and remember what other card I put in.

Ah, I see. I swapped Mender and Slime.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:49 pm

There's a card coming out in M15 that will be put in the deck.

Reclamation Sage [mana]2G[/mana]
Creature - Elf Shaman

When Reclamation Sage enters the battlefield, you may destroy target artifact or enchantment.

2/1

It's an elf (flavor), has one toughness (dies to Skullclamp), and I get to choose to use the ability unlike Indrik Stomphowler where I have to use the triggered ability, which can get awkward if I'm the only player with targets.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:21 am

Got some games in today. When I got to bring back an opponent's Kagemaro, First to Suffer with my Sepulchral Primordial I had to ask myself why I wasn't running it. There were a couple of games where my edict effects weren't enough, like when my opponent cast an Avenger of Zendikar, and I found myself wanting a board wipe that I could recur. I'm going to have to put Kagemaro in my deck.

I was able to acquire a Phyrexian Tower today. Still have to get a High Market and [card]Volrath's Stronghold[/card]. Then I'll be tempted to put in Life from the Loam.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:34 am

I'm trying to convince my friend to build this. He doesn't really play much anymore, but he still seems to love Magic, especially black. He got the precon with Mimeoplasm, and says he doesn't totally love it, and I remembered this, and it doesn't seem like the switch will be too expensive. Anyway, great work, Val!
Sig by NBW.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:34 am

Thanks! The deck is a ton of fun. It's like Pod for EDH with a lot of neat interactions to exploit.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:46 pm

OUT: Faceless Butcher, Golgari Keyrune, Veteran Explorer, Forest
IN: Beseech the Queen, Diabolic Intent, Phyrexian Delver, High Market

Not fond of ramping everyone else so Explorer comes out. Also cutting Golgari Keyrune now that my mana fixing is getting better. Faceless Butcher has been underwhelming except when I get to pull off my cute sac-to-trigger combo. I got my hands on the last two tutors for my deck and Phyrexian Delver as another recursion creature.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:32 pm

OUT: Swamp, Swamp, Gravedigger, Necrologia, Transguild Promenade
IN: Life from the Loam, Solemn Simulacrum, Buried Ruin, Volrath's Stronghold, Ghost Quarter

Finally caved in and added Life from the Loam, which is excellent with the cycling lands, Ghost Quarter, Bojuka Bog, and Buried Ruin. I decided not to add Strip Mine since I have many other ways to blow up problem lands. I swapped out Gravedigger for Sad Robot because I now have a ton of recursion and felt like I needed something with more value that I can abuse.

I think this deck is pretty much finished. I really enjoy playing it, though many times I find myself actively trying not to combo off because of how many tutors I have in the deck. That could be a problem because it sort of forces some homogeneity between how each game plays out which is the opposite of what EDH was intended to be, but from a purely competitive standpoint I suppose this is fine.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Out: Beseech the Queen, Swamp
In: Recurring Nightmare, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:42 pm

Turns out Recurring Nightmare is actually banned (booooo) so I'm taking it out for a land. I've felt like the deck has needed 1-2 more lands for awhile.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:39 pm

How good has High Market been? I'm torn on buying a few for my commander decks just as a general value card.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:46 pm

I mean obviously it's stone cold nuts here but I can't imagine it being bad in any shell.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:01 pm

I've liked it a lot. I tend to take a lot of damage with this deck and even without the synergy the lifegain is welcome. It's also nice to respond to exile effects by saccing a dude.

Return to “Multiplayer Commander Decklists”