Savra, Queen of the Golgari

Decklists intended for multiplayer games can be posted here

Moderator: Manasjap

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Savra, Queen of the Golgari

Postby Valdarith » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:52 pm

About the deck
This deck is a control/combo deck that spends the early game attempting to keep the board relatively clear of threats while ramping and searching for big spells or synergies to create a soft lock on the board in the midgame. It takes advantage of creatures with triggered or ETB/LTB abilities to act as spells while staying true to the theme of the deck, which is "sacrifice and revive." Because the deck plays so many edict abilities, it disregards indestructible or hexproof creatures. The deck also employs many tutors to dig for the cards we need in any given situation, and employs many recursion spells to get them back from the graveyard in true Golgari fashion. Finally, should the need arise (or you're just in the mood), we can use Nim Deathmantle and [card]Ashnod's Altar[/card] to fire off many different infinite
combos.
Why you should consider playing this deck
This deck:

1) is competitive in both heads-up and multiplayer environments.
2) mostly has a complete disregard for diplomacy
3) can win by either controlling the board or comboing off
4) has a multitude of interesting synergies and interactions
5) has style points due to being a theme deck
Motivation for building the deck
As I got back into the game in July 2012 after a hiatus from Magic since the Urza block, I caught wind of a format that ran 100-card decks that could only run one copy of each card. The more I heard about the EDH format, the more intrigued I became. I've always been sort of a power gamer but I do enjoy sitting back and having fun in casual environments from time to time, so I decided to build an EDH deck with a focus on multiplayer. The first commander I cracked in a pack that I really wanted to build around was [card]Jarad,
Golgari Lich Lord[/card], but then I took a look at Savra and knew she was the best choice. I just love decks with interesting interactions and she fits the bill nicely, plus her edict trigger affects all players with complete disregard to diplomacy so I don't have to make hard decisions and hurt people's feelings (granted, this might also draw hate toward me from all players, but I hope to fight it off if the need arises).

I try to spend as little on Magic as possible, and in that regard I tend to trade for the big money cards I want instead of going on tcgplayer.com or the like and buying them outright. I'm pretty good at grinding out trades to come out ever so slightly ahead, but it also takes time, especially living in a small town that plays Standard almost exclusively and doesn't bring many of their eternal cards with them to LGSs for trades. That said, this deck as a whole is pretty cheap to build compared to other EDH decks.
[deck]Commander (1)
1 Savra, Queen of the Golgari

Creatures (33)
1 Gravecrawler
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Sylvan Ranger
1 Reassembling Skeleton
1 Bloodghast
1 Farhaven Elf
1 Fierce Empath
1 Yavimaya Elder
1 Bone Shredder
1 Fleshbag Marauder
1 Eternal Witness
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Disciple of Bolas
1 Slum Reaper
1 Nekrataal
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Smothering Abomination
1 Agent of Erebos
1 Phyrexian Delver
1 Thragtusk
1 Shriekmaw
1 Acidic Slime
1 Pharika's Mender
1 Brutalizer Exarch
1 Harvester of Souls
1 Soul of the Harvest
1 Grave Titan
1 Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
1 Sepulchral Primordial
1 Rune-Scarred Demon
1 Abhorrent Overlord
1 Woodfall Primus
1 Terastodon

Enchantments (7)
1 Phyrexian Reclamation
1 Animate Dead
1 Evolutionary Leap
1 Grave Pact
1 Deathreap Ritual
1 Dictate of Erebos
1 Dawn of the Dead

Tutors (10)
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Entomb
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Diabolic Intent
1 Buried Alive
1 Chord of Calling
1 Jarad's Orders
1 Increasing Ambition
1 Diabolic Revelation

Instants and Sorceries (6)
1 Reanimate
1 Life / Death
1 Victimize
1 Dread Return
1 Living Death
1 Rise of the Dark Realms

Artifacts (5)
1 Skullclamp
1 Ashnod's Altar
1 Mimic Vat
1 Nim Deathmantle
1 Birthing Pod

Lands (38)
7 Forest
6 Swamp
1 Barren Moor
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Buried Ruin
1 Command Tower
1 Crypt of Agadeem
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Golgari Guildgate
1 Golgari Rot Farm
1 Grim Backwoods
1 High Market
1 Llanowar Wastes
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Phyrexian Tower
1 Polluted Mire
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Slippery Karst
1 Strip Mine
1 Tainted Wood
1 Temple of Malady
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Woodland Cemetery
1 Volrath's Stronghold
[/deck]
Last edited by Valdarith on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 46 times in total.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:52 pm

Description of Strategy
The overall strategy of this deck is relatively simple. In the early game, look to ramp as much as possible. Don't tutor for cards unless you are in imminent danger of losing the game. Be patient and develop your board state for the mid game. This means that you shouldn't run Savra out early and expose her to removal. Let your ETB creatures do the work for you early on. Don't be afraid of taking a lot of damage early in the game. This deck does a great job of stabilizing in the midgame if you've played correctly. Also, don't obsess over assembling a combo. There are many ways to win with this deck without immediately comboing off. The high cmc creatures and spells in this deck are powerful enough to win the game on their own. Your number one priority is to create a soft lock on the board. Make life for your opponent(s) a living hell and play not to lose in the
midgame. Then, once you've assembled enough card advantage, move in for the kill with a combo or any number of the strong finishers available to you.

Your opening hand: the best hand to open up with is one with three lands, a ramp card, a removal-based creature, and any two other cards. This really isn't too much to ask of your starting hand. Even two-land hands are acceptable with the correct ramp card (Golgari Signet, Armilary Sphere, Golgari Keyrune, Farhaven Elf).

The early game: play defense and develop your mana base. Don't spit out your key cards and open them up for early removal. Grave Pact, Necrogenesis, Ashnod's Altar, etc are terrible to play at this stage of the game and draw a lot of attention to you. Your opponents already have enough incentive to target you when your ramping as much as you ought to in the early game.

Mid game: attempt to develop a favorable board state. Mitotic Slime, Slum Reaper, Fleshbag Marauder, Bone Shredder, Nekrataal, etc are all great
cards to be playing to get rid of the biggest threats on the board. Now is a great time to run out Savra so you can generate massive amounts of card advantage with these kinds of creatures. Sometimes you can get cute here and cheat out a big creature from your graveyard or hard cast it with enough ramp just to force your opponents to answer it. That way you clear their hand of removal for even more threatening creatures later in the game. If you have a Mimic Vat in this stage of the game and no one can answer it, you are highly favored to win in the late game as many times you can create such a favorable board state that nothing your opponents can do will change the outcome.

Late game: if you think the coast is clear, attempt to assemble a combo with tutors or insane card draw. Or if you have the right board state and cards available you can just go kill everybody with a slew of large creatures you have to choose from. Some cards that just win the game on their own include Grave Betrayal, It That Betrays,
Living Death, Jarad, Vulturous Zombie, Sheoldred, and Sepulchral Primordial.
Single Card Discussion
COMING SOON
Combos and Interesting Interactions
1) Mitotic Slime OR Grave Titan OR Worldspine Wurm + Nim Deathmantle + [card]Ashnod's Altar[/card] = infinite tokens. With Mitotic Slime, you can produce infinite 2/2 tokens that produce infinite 1/1 tokens when they die should a player wipe the board before you alpha strike. With Worldspine Wurm, you sacrifice it with Ashnod's Altar to produce two colorless, put the Nim Deathmantle trigger on top of the stack, then sacrifice a 5/5 Wurm token to pay the additional two colorless mana required of the trigger, then repeat. You'll end up with infinite 5/5 Wurms and you'll shuffle Worldspine Wurm into your library.
+ [card:
s0x1udiu]Blood Artist[/card] = deal infinite damage to everyone
+ Harvester of Souls or Soul of the Harvest = draw a ton of cards.

2) Mikaeus, the Unhallowed + Nim Deathmantle + [card]Ashnod's Altar[/card] + any creature with an ETB or LTB ability = trigger the ETB or LTB ability infinitely. How it works: sacrifice the creature to Ashnod's Altar, put the undying trigger at the top of the stack, declare creature's ETB or LTB ability, sacrifice it again in response to the trigger, use the four floating mana to equip Nim Deathmantle to the creature, declare the ETB or LTB ability, then repeat. This is the most degenerate combo in the deck and allows you to do some silly things, like draw all the land out of your deck (Yavimaya Elder), kill every nonartifact, nonblack creature ([card]
Shriekmaw[/card], Bone Shredder), destroy all opponents' artifacts, enchantments, and lands (Acidic Slime), deal infinite damage to everyone (Blood Artist), or, with Savra, Grave Pact, or Butcher of Malakir out, completely decimate every opponent's board and gain infinite life (Terastodon) while leaving them with no 3/3 tokens. If you have one black mana open and a nontoken creature on the board, you can also use Disciple of Bolas to gain infinite life, draw your deck, then cast Blood Artist and deal infinite damage for the win.
+ Harvester of Souls OR Soul of the Harvest = draw your deck, again with the intention of drawing into Blood Artist to cast it and
win on your turn.
+ Savra = each opponent sacrifices half as many creatures as you sacrifice if the creature is typically green, and exacly as many creatures as you sacrifice if it is typically black (creatures are black when equipped with Nim Deathmantle, which is exactly half the amount of times you sacrifice it if the creature is typically green). You end up losing no life if the creature is typically green, but pay two life for each trigger if it's typically black. Note that Savra being in this combo along with any green creature you're sacrificing will give you infinite life, even if it is Acidic Slime since you don't have to kill your own Nim Deathmantle, enchantments, and lands until you terminate the loop (sacrifice Acidic Slime in response to the ETB trigger each time).
+ Butcher of Malakir OR Grave Pact = each opponent sacrifices as many creatures as you sacrifice your ETB/LTB creature.

3) [card:
s0x1udiu]Living Death[/card] + Grave Pact OR Butcher of Malakir = make everyone sacrifice as many creatures as you sacrificed to Living Death after it resolves.
+ Savra and a few black creatures on your board before casting = extra lulz.
+ Flesh Allergy in a multiplayer game = pretty much kill whoever you think deserves to die the most.

4) Living Death + [card]Ashnod's Altar[/card] = sacrifice all your creatures before casting Living Death or with Living Death on the stack to make colorless mana and get all your nontoken creatures back.

5) Living Death + Mikaeus, the Unhallowed on board before casting = get all the nontoken creatures you sacrificed back with +1/+1 counters except for Mikaeus.

6) Living Death + [card]Grave Betrayal[/
card] = take control of all nontoken creatures sacrificed by your opponents to Living Death at your end step.

7) Living Death + Gleancrawler in your graveyard = put all creatures you sacrificed to Living Death in your hand at the end of your turn.

8) Necrogenesis + [card]Ashnod's Altar[/card] = exile creatures from all opponents' graveyards and make a 1/1 green token.
+ Savra = gain two life for each creature card exiled.
+ Grave Pact OR Butcher of Malakir = each opponent sacrifices a creature for each creature card exiled.

9) Mikaeus, the Unhallowed + Fleshbag Marauder OR Slum Reaper = each player sacrifices two
creatures.
+ Savra OR Grave Pact OR Butcher of Malakir = each player sacrifices four creatures. With Savra, you lose four life.

10) Mikaeus, the Unhallowed + Birthing Pod = keep the creature you sacrifice to Birthing Pod if it's a nontoken creature.

11) Woodfall Primus + [card]Ashnod's Altar[/card] + Mikaeus, the Unhallowed OR Nim Deathmantle = destroy as many noncreature permanents as you see fit.

12) Faceless Butcher + any sac outlet = permanently exile a creature.
+ Mimic Vat = permanently exile a creature each turn.
Last edited by Valdarith on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:43 pm

If you want to be a terrible person, Contaminate?

Bloodghast. Attrition.

Necrologia, Ambition's Cost, Necropotence are good for fueling up. Mind Twist, Head Games, and Persecute are good disruption. Sol Ring, obv.

Edit: Oh! Greater good.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:30 am

I thought about Contaminate but came to the conclusion that I am not THAT mean. :p

I have Bloodghast in the back of my mind as a possible replacement for Ashen Ghoul.

Attrition is good but I think it might be too much with all the other destruction outlets I have.

I actually had Necrologia in the deck at one point. I will consider putting it back in. Filling my hand with Disciple of Bolas is awesome and it wouldn't hurt to be able to do it without saccing a fatty.

I definitely want Sol Ring but it's rather expensive so i'll have to trade for it. For the moment Ill just go with Sissay's Ring.

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:12 am

Both Bloodghast and Ashen Ghoul are pretty good, I'd probably run both. Its tough to have too many recurring critters. And Attrition is also probably a lot stronger than most of the other sac outlets, I've been on the receiving end of it from a similar deck and it's quite problematic.

Hmm. Eldrazi Monument?

This might be more parts amusingly synergistic than cutthroat, but Endrek Sahr?

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Endrek Sahr has seen some play in Savra decks. I'm considering him as another token generator, but I need to playtest more to see if I really need more of those types of cards. So far I've tested three games but they've all been 1 on 1. It's actually very effective in those types of matchups as well.

I could take out Launch Party for Attrition as it's essentially a 4 cmc removal spell the turn it comes down just like Launch Party except I can use it multiple times.

Eldrazi Monument seems too cute. I really don't care about making my creatures indestructible or giving them evasion and pump. I just want to put a soft lock on the board and grind away life totals or combo out.

Also forgot to address Greater Good in the previous post. That's a card I definitely want to have. I'll add it to the want list with Attrition.

EDIT: I added some other cards to my want list because in my playtesting I noticed I had very
few seven drops to Birthing Pod into. Sheoldred and Butcher of Malakir are particularly nasty. I think Rune-Scarred Demon may be unnecessary but Hornet Queen could be a good card to have to bring in more sac fodder, especially if I'm just going to Pod into an eight drop the next turn.

The Dark Guardian

Postby The Dark Guardian » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:24 pm

Hey, read your list:

I have a friend who built an amazing Savra list. As the colors suggest, a slow start, but once it gets going, he just crushes (I remember when I had Rafiq built a while ago, he made me sac 12 creatures in a single turn).

I would like to second Azreal's suggestion for Bloodghast. He is awesome.

To go along with your gravepact/Bloodghast, why not throw in the sick combination of Bitterblossum and Skullclamp? Those cards work amazingly with each other, and skullclamp in particular plays nicely with Bloodghast/Reasembling skeleton, triggering Gravepact and having a engine similiar to Thopter/foundry of 3 mana, draw two cards.

In addition, in order to maximize value of your creatures, and have maximum ability to trigger Savra. Dimaond Valley is amazing, but since you don't want to spend to much, [card:
2z2f9ke7]Phyrexian Tower[/card] and High Market are great substitutes/additions.

Last suggestion: If you really want to anger people, adding a combination of Dawn of the Dead and Mindslicer (with a way to recur them of course) can help you keep the other players in topdeck mode, and keep your engine flowing. Dawn of the Dead is insancely strong if you can keep sacrificing the creature whose ability you require.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:17 am

I've got Skullclamp on my want list already. I know it's awesome. :)

Bitterblossom is one of those high dollar cards I'm going to have to scour for locally, but it will be very hard to find.

Phyrexian Tower should provide another nice sacrifice outlet.

There are a lot of potentially interesting interactions with Dawn of the Dead. I really like that. Mindslicer would be great to have once I lock down the board.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:30 am

High Market and Miren, the Moaning Well are also great lands for sac outlets. I suppose you can also use Vesuva and Thespian's Stage to copy one of those lands for additional sac outlets.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Thespian's Stage sounds like a good idea, especially with all the utility lands played in EDH.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:13 pm

The Stage is great. It's made it into all of my decks (except Nin but I should put it in there too) at this point. I mean, even if you're not copying one of your lands, you can always make yourself a version of your opponent's Maze of Ith, Reliquary Tower, or even Thawing Glaciers. Plus it makes mana when you don't have a target. :)
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:56 am

Oh, hey, nobody mentioned Fleshbag Marauder yet.

The Dark Guardian

Postby The Dark Guardian » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:43 am

Holy Crap, I didn't even think about it. I just assumed it was in the list...

Speaking of creatures that play well with Dawn of the Dead, if you want a strong answer to play around artifacts/enchantments, Sylvok Replica is pretty solid.

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:46 am

Holy Crap, I didn't even think about it. I just assumed it was in the list...
I think there's some relatively recent dork that costs 4 and does the same thing, too.

The Dark Guardian

Postby The Dark Guardian » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:58 am

Yeah it was in Return to Ravinica....hold on...

Ah, Slum Reaper. It's not bad if you need a second creature with that type of effect...

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:14 pm

Yeah it was in Return to Ravinica....hold on...

Ah, Slum Reaper. It's not bad if you need a second creature with that type of effect...
Slum Reaper is already in the deck! :tongue:

I actually had a neat play with him one game. With Savra on the board, I played Mikaeus, then Slum Reaper, then sacced the Slum Reaper, called trigger from Savra, then triggered undying for the Reaper, then sacced Savra, then called both triggers from Savra, then triggered undying from Savra.

How many creatures do you have? Zero? Cool!

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:14 pm

Added a Gilded Lotus and Butcher of Malakir. Removed Launch Party and Prophetic Prism. Felt like I wanted even more ramp and Gilded Lotus allows me to drop some bombs or perform multiple actions the next turn.

Looking to add a Fleshbag Marauder and remove Phyrexian Defiler once I find one. Will also add a Thespian's Stage for a land. Considering the removal of Flesh Alergy as well now that my creature suite with ETB effects has improved.

Also updated my want list.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed May 01, 2013 8:47 pm

Added a combo section to the second post. Will add single card discussion and strategy discussion when time permits.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Wed May 01, 2013 9:22 pm

For even MORE combo goodness, there's always the ole Mikaeus and Triskelion combo (the ole Mike 'n Trike).

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed May 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Well now that's just mean.

"Mean" as in "I now must find room for Triskelion."

Manasjap

Postby Manasjap » Wed May 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Those are some sweet synergies/combo's you got there!

*runs off to find himself some Triskelions to go with Mikaeuses, Mikaeusi?

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed May 01, 2013 9:53 pm

Those are some sweet synergies/combo's you got there!

*runs off to find himself some Triskelions to go with Mikaeuses, Mikaeusi?
Thanks! I've only played the list a few times, but it always excites me as to how many different interactions I can pull off when I pilot the deck. That's one of the great things about EDH - every game wildly different.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu May 02, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm going to make some changes based on cards I know I can get pretty easily:

OUT: Phyrexian Defiler, Doomgape, Flesh Allergy, Sisay's Ring
IN: Sylvan Primordial, Fleshbag Marauder, Mimic Vat, Putrefy

Also, how do you all feel about Deathrite Shaman? I don't have a lot of EDH experience, but I'm told graveyard hate is a good thing to have a lot of in your deck. He can only remove one card per turn though. That said, he also ramps for us occassionaly.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu May 02, 2013 5:29 pm

DRS may be pretty bad as a late-game topdeck.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu May 02, 2013 5:30 pm

I never leave home without a Tormod's Crypt. Except in Kaalia. I play Bojuka Bog and Rakdos Charm for gravehate.

Actually B-Bog would probably fit better than a Crypt would in your deck.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu May 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Yeah, I've been meaning to add Bojuka Bog to my want list. Nihil Spellbomb and Tormod's Crypt are both good choices as well.

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Fri May 03, 2013 2:05 pm

Nihil would be a good option for that, cycles if you need it to. Or Bojuka Bog.

For myself, I don't play anything aside from Bojuka Bog, and that's in 1 deck out of 14. My preferred method of dealing with graveyard-based decks is to put the player in the graveyard. There's a few decks out there (Hermit Druid, Chainer/Koku, Karador, Balthor) that are really heavily graveyard based, but they can be shut down other ways, and I don't know that it's generally important enough to waste slots in your MD on it. Most people use their graveyard at least a little, but the impact of the interactions don't seem to rate dedicated hate if it doesn't fit in seamlessly.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue May 14, 2013 9:37 pm

Added Bojuka Bog, Sheoldred, Fierce Empath, Nekrataal, and Farhaven Elf to the deck. I had previously added Fleshbag Marauder and Mimic Vat because I thought I had them in my collection, but I jumped the gun on that because it turns out I do not. I will find room for them.

Based on more playtesting, I love having ramp in this list. I really want a Sol Ring but I'm considering moving Sisay's Ring back into the deck. I took out Deathrite Shaman because he just didn't do enough for me.

I just feel so dirty when I play with this deck because of all the degenerate things it can do. It's seriously a blast to pilot.

Also, using [card]Jarad's Orders[/card] to pitch It That Betrays to the yard and put Sheoldred, Whispering One in your hand to play next turn is pretty nasty when your opponent can do nothing about it.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed May 22, 2013 1:57 am

Out - Ashen Ghoul
In - Triskellion

I've never really found a good use for Ashen Ghoul. Reassembling Skeleton is superior in every way since I don't have to worry about it being below three other creatures AND I can activate the Skeleton's ability at any time vs end of upkeep with Ghoul.

I just got out of a five-way mutliplayer game that I wasn't able to finish (had to pick up my kids). It had been going on for over two hours and I was in the game the entire time. I literally had answers for every big threat each of my opponents played. I was actually just about to win the game outright by casting Worldspine Wurm and Jarad on the same turn, then saccing the Wurm and all it's tokens to deal 30 damage to everybody. Yes, I had that much mana. Let's just say between Yavimaya Elder and Sylvan Primordial you can get a lot of land in play. Topping it off with Gilded Lotus is just dumb. Unfortunately though, the opponent to my
right cast a card that let me cast only one spell per turn on my last turn. :(

Also, I got to sac my Reassembling Skeleton before the beginning of my turn to Grim Backwoods then put him back in play. Drawing two cards instead of one is really nice.

I really love this deck. It doesn't have to combo off to win. Many of the cards are strong on their own.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu May 30, 2013 3:07 pm

More thoughts:

1) As dirty as the Triskellion/Mikaeus combo is, I'm not sure I like Triskellion in the deck. He just doesn't do anything on his own and I don't think that acceptable from a six drop. I'd like to replace him with Woodfall Primus. With Mikaeus on board he does basically the same thing, except I need a sac outlet on board as well. I also like having yet another creature that lets me blow up permanents.

2) I need to find room for [card]Down / Dirty[/card]. Has tons of flavor and is yet another recursion spell that I find I need often in this deck.

3) Once M14 is released, Rise of the Dark Realms is going in the deck. :evillol:

4) Do I want more tutors? Beseech the Queen has flavor, as does [card:
10rzft7t]Diabolic Intent[/card].

5) Maybe Reanimate should be in the deck as well? Even more recursion, except I don't have to recast the card. Good for when I want to get a utility creature out or cheeze out It That Betrays. Also works well with Jarad's Orders.

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Thu May 30, 2013 8:44 pm

More thoughts:

1) As dirty as the Triskellion/Mikaeus combo is, I'm not sure I like Triskellion in the deck. He just doesn't do anything on his own and I don't think that acceptable from a six drop. I'd like to replace him with Woodfall Primus. With Mikaeus on board he does basically the same thing, except I need a sac outlet on board as well. I also like having yet another creature that lets me blow up permanents.

2) I need to find room for [card]Down / Dirty[/card]. Has tons of flavor and is yet another recursion spell that I find I need often in this deck.

3) Once M14 is released, Rise of the Dark Realms is going in the deck.

4) Do I want more tutors? Beseech the Queen has flavor, as does Diabolic Intent.

5) Maybe Reanimate should be in the deck as well? Even more recursion, except I don't have to recast the card. Good for when I want to get a utility creature out or cheeze out It That Betrays. Also works well with Jarad's Orders.
I'd pay the one extra mana for Animate dead instead - that could wind up saving you a bunch of life. If you like that effect, Dance of the Dead and Necromancy are also pretty sweet.

Oh, and Victimize seems right up your alley.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu May 30, 2013 10:00 pm

More thoughts:

2) I need to find room for [card]Down / Dirty[/card]. Has tons of flavor and is yet another recursion spell that I find I need often in
this deck.

3) Once M14 is released, Rise of the Dark Realms is going in the deck. :evillol:

4) Do I want more tutors? Beseech the Queen has flavor, as does Diabolic Intent.

I'd pay the one extra mana for Animate dead instead - that could wind up saving you a bunch of life. If you like that effect, Dance of the Dead and Necromancy are also pretty sweet.

Oh, and Victimize seems
right up your alley.
I do like the effect. It hits close to home because the first competitive deck I built was a Living Death deck in the Tempest era. I was 11-12 so naturally I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Reanimate effects bring back a lot of memories for me. Ironically I hate Rites in Standard.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:58 pm

Out: Recover, Llanowar Dead
In: Golgari Guildmage, [card]Down / Dirty[/card].

Golgari Guildmage basically does what Recover does, only it can do it multiple times AND it synergizes with the deck by providing another sac outlet. Down / Dirty can force discard AND bring any card back from my graveyard. Llanowar Dead was a terrible topdeck and had to go.

Still have my eyes on some cards I'd like to put in, namely Woodfall Primus, Creakwood Liege, Mimic Vat, Fleshbag Marauder, and Dawn of the Dead. Mimic Vat + Fleshbag Marauder would be just nasty.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:57 pm

I've noticed that I'm light on four drops. Creakwood Liege should obviously be there, but there are a few other candidates:

Elvish Piper
Cackling Fiend
Brain Weevil
Entomber Exarch
Faceless Butcher (I can permanently exile a creature if I have a sac outlet)
Marsh Flitter (lacks flavor though)
Quirion Trailblazer

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Out: Triskellion, Golgari Charm, Barter in Blood
In: Woodfall Primus, Quirion Trailblazer, Faceless Butcher

I had a $5 coupon from eBay and had nothing else to spend it on, so I got a Woodfall Primus from the MM set. I also found a Quirion Trailblazer in a small collection of random cards someone gave me YEARS ago. I got the Faceless Butcher from the Graveborn deck my sister bought me for Christmas last year.

I took out Triskellion for reasons stated earlier. With Golgari Charm I felt like the only relevant clause was the enchantment removal and I have plenty of other ways to remove permanents, especially with Woodfall Primus being added. Quirion Trailblazer is just more ramp and mana fixing which is always good to have.

Also, I will be getting a Mimic Vat very soon. I'm taking out Avatar of Woe to make room for it.

Another card to keep an eye on that was just spoiled for M14 is [card]Strionic Resonator[/
card]. It fits with the theme of this deck very well.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:18 am

Out: Worldspine Wurm, Revive
In: Dawn of the Dead, Victimize.

Victimize is clearly a better Revive here since brings dudes into play and has no green clause. The only drawback is not being able to retrieve Necrogenesis. Dawn of the Dead is reanimation every turn which is awesome in this deck. Took out Worldspine Wurm because I already have so many other powerful cards.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:06 am

Out: Verdant Force, Quirion Trailblazer
In: Creakwood Liege, Thragtusk

Finally traded for a Creakwood Liege! Also put Thragtusk in. Verdant Force just isn't powerful enough and I can abuse Thragtusk in a deck like this. I already have enough ramp so Quirion Trailblazer is overkill.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:55 am

Spike Weaver seems like a fantastic card for this deck, Val. It helps you survive tough situations long enough to find a combo or an answer, and is even better with so much recursion. I play this in my Riku deck, and it must have kept me alive for over 10 turns once after I sacced it to pod to find a Body Double for his Sheoldred, eventually buying myself enough time to pull off infinite turns.
Sig by NBW.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Could be some potential there with Mikaeus in the deck, but I have yet to find the need for a fog effect in this deck. I'm pretty effective at keeping the board clear with all of my sac effects.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:37 pm

Out: Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord, Blood Artist
In: Rise of the Dark Realms, Strionic Resonator

Jarad is underwhelming and doesn't quite fit the ETB theme of the deck. Blood Artist was cool for comboing off but I want to avoid having too many of those "oops, I win" situations. I've been wanting to put Rise of the Dark Realms in since it was spoiled and I finally got my hands on one. Also got Strionic Resonator in a trade. It should go well with Mimic Vat once I find one.

Return to “Multiplayer Commander Decklists”