[Primer] Dos Rakis

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:46 pm

Thing is you can play BOTH against hexproof though and they compliment each other. A simple scenario is curving 1 drop into ratchet bomb into devour flesh(tribute, whatever) blowing bomb to kill there stalker(or whatever) and devouring there super scout for instance.

There's actually a lot of cards in your current board you can bring in, though I don't know how if your deck can maximize the use of all of them. Duress, Pillar, elecktrickery, and bomb should move the matchup from terribad to winnable and on the play you probably don't even need to overboard.

Barter in blood is also amazing.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Exactly. Last season playing Zombies against Hexproof and some Delver variants you had to plan 1-2 as well at times, dropping a sweeper and then an edict (more often Geth's Verdict than Tribute because Verdict was cheaper and always good unlike the swingy Devour Flesh). Delver was more troublesome because they were using damned Swords and Batterskull to Tron up their Stalkers, GoSTs and Crusaders, but the principle was still the same. I always had some combination of Verdict, Lili, BSZ, Whipflare, Bonfire and Ratchet Bomb in my 75 and any and all came in against hexproof.
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:37 pm

If I ran both I would probably cut Duress to make room. I bring in Duress for Hexproof but it's a terrible topdeck since by turns four and five all the relevant targets are now on the table. With Tribute/Bomb, I can deal with enchantments on the table and that's a good feeling for me. Granted, Ratchet Bomb is just as bad a topdeck.

It's a complicated situation because I feel like the sideboard is pretty tight as it is. Maybe a 2/2 split of Ratchet Bomb and Tribute while taking out Electrickery now that Ratchet Bomb sweeps tokens easily.

[deck]
Sideboard (15)
2 Duress
2 Pillar of Flame
1 Dreadbore
2 Ratchet Bomb
2 Tribute to Hunger
3 Burning Earth
2 Zealous Conscripts
1 Rakdos Guildgate
[/deck]
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:17 pm

The way I like to check if I've fucked my sideboard up is to take the 5ish matchups I expect to face the most and lay out the best cards vs. each of those decks out, then look at what cards are the least used and check how flexible they are against the shit that isn't listed.

This also explains why my sideboards tend to have lots of 1-ofs when I'm playing not red as I like having organic flexible answers.

Patrick chapin

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:13 pm

Decided to finally join you guys over here after lurking for a couple months. Tired of the nubs on MTGS with terrible red decks that just simply won't win.

Going to give something like this a try tonight at TNM:

[deck]4 Rakdos Cackler
3 Stromkirk Noble
2 Legion Loyalist
4 Ash Zealot
4 Spike Jeaster
4 Chandr'a Phoenix
4 Falkenrath
2 Hellrider
3 Thundermaw

4 Pillar
2 Spear
2 Doom Blade

4 Blood Crypt
4 Dragonskull
1 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Cavern
1 Mutavault
11 Mountain[/deck]

Goldfishing pretty well, I think I might drop a cavern or mountain in favor of another guildgate (it is also possible that cavern is simply not necessary). Haven't quite decided on SB yet.

my store in Atlanta hosts some very good players with both pro tour wins and open top 8s. jund, kibler and uwr (though I imagine they are moving towards two colors). Ive been consistently top 4ing with Big Red, but players are adapting by
adding basics in jund etc.

I am thinking of adding 4th noble back in, and replacing the 2 hellriders with 2 ogre battledrivers. thoughts?

yurp yurp

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:42 pm

I definitely wouldn't replace Hellrider with Battledriver - instead, I'd use those slots to lower the curve a bit:

-2 Hellrider; +1 Noble, +1 Loyalist or Spear.

I also feel that Doom Blade isn't as good as more Spears in the MD (especially with Phoenix) and that the mana base could use a little work: something like
4 Crypt
4 Summit
4 Swamp (or Shrine if playing Reckoner in the board)
11 Mountain
should be very consistent.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

RDW

Postby RDW » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:21 pm

I definitely wouldn't replace Hellrider with Battledriver - instead, I'd use those slots to lower the curve a bit:

-2 Hellrider; +1 Noble, +1 Loyalist or Spear.

I also feel that Doom Blade isn't as good as more Spears in the MD (especially with Phoenix) and that the mana base could use a little work: something like
4 Crypt
4 Summit
4 Swamp (or Shrine if playing Reckoner in the board)
11 Mountain
should be very consistent.
This, we want 19 sources for Ash Zealot and 12 sources for Spike Jester. This manabase is about as tight as it gets.

Oh, and 3 Thundermaw Hellkite on 23 land might not be right. I'd cut a Thundermaw Hellkite for the final Searing Spear.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Decided to finally join you guys over here after lurking for a couple months. Tired of the nubs on MTGS with terrible red decks that just simply won't win.

Going to give something like this a try tonight at TNM:

[deck]4 Rakdos Cackler
3 Stromkirk Noble
2 Legion Loyalist
4 Ash Zealot
4 Spike Jeaster
4 Chandr'a Phoenix
4 Falkenrath
2 Hellrider
3 Thundermaw

4 Pillar
2 Spear
2 Doom Blade

4 Blood Crypt
4 Dragonskull
1 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Cavern
1 Mutavault
11 Mountain[/deck]

Goldfishing pretty well, I think I might drop a cavern or mountain in favor of another guildgate (it is also possible that cavern is simply not necessary). Haven't quite decided on SB yet.

my store in Atlanta hosts some very good players with both pro tour wins
and open top 8s. jund, kibler and uwr (though I imagine they are moving towards two colors). Ive been consistently top 4ing with Big Red, but players are adapting by adding basics in jund etc.

I am thinking of adding 4th noble back in, and replacing the 2 hellriders with 2 ogre battledrivers. thoughts?
I don't like Legion Loyalist at all. This deck thrives on creatures that are strong on their own. Loyalist belongs in swarmy decks that require synergy to be their strength. Besides, what's he doing for you here? Not a damn thing.

-2 Legion Loyalist, +1 Stromkirk Noble, +1 Spear at least.

I also feel like six 4 drops and 3 five drops is a little too top heavy. I'd drop the two Hellriders and go a 23rd land and a fourth Spear and call it a day.

I'll also say that if you see a lot of Jund and other midrange strategies, you're going to wish you had Dreadbore in your mainboard.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:30 am

Made the suggested changes ended up going 1-2 drop. Beat Jund, lost twice to U/W control. I just don't see how this deck beats Blind Obedience.

yurp yurp

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:11 pm

The deck does not like BlOb.
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:12 pm

That being said, if you go with the transformational SB plan then you should have a much better games 2 and 3 vs Control decks that utilize Obedience.

I love the D...

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:43 pm

UW and UB control decks are starting to really take up a sizeable portion of the meta. I think the best way to combat this is to just go big with them throughout the entire 75. Rakdos's Return, Thundermaw Hellkite, Chandra, Sire of Insanity, etc.

People are beginning to adapt to Burning Earth by going with two colors (except Jund). If this trend of two-color decks continues we may have to reconsider running Burning Earth at all. That would free up space for bigger spells.

[deck]
Creatures (18)
2 Stonewright
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Falkenrath Aristocrat
4 Thundermaw Hellkite

Spells (17)
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
2 Doom Blade
2 Tribute to Hunger
2 Rakdos's Return
1 Devil's Play
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands (25)
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Blood Crypt
3 Rakdos Guildgate
3 Mutavault
2 Swamp
9 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
2 Duress
1 Electrickery
2 Frostburn Weird
1 Doom Blade
Rakdos Charm
1 Tribute to Hunger
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Sire of Insanity
2 Blasphemous Act
1 Mountain
[/deck]

Mmmm, meaty.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:58 pm

UW and UB control decks are starting to really take up a sizeable portion of the meta. I think the best way to combat this is to just go big with them throughout the entire 75. Rakdos's Return, Thundermaw Hellkite, Chandra, Sire of Insanity, etc.

People are beginning to adapt to Burning Earth by going with two colors (except Jund). If this trend of two-color decks continues we may have to reconsider running Burning Earth at all. That would free up space for bigger spells.

[deck]
Creatures (18)
2 Stonewright
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Falkenrath Aristocrat
4 Thundermaw Hellkite

Spells (17)
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
2 Doom Blade
2 Tribute to Hunger
2 Rakdos's Return
1 Devil's Play
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands (25)
4 Dragonskull
Summit
4 Blood Crypt
3 Rakdos Guildgate
3 Mutavault
2 Swamp
9 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
2 Duress
1 Electrickery
2 Frostburn Weird
1 Doom Blade
2 Rakdos Charm
1 Tribute to Hunger
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Sire of Insanity
2 Blasphemous Act
1 Mountain
[/deck]

Mmmm, meaty.
If you're going to be more controlling:
Reckoner > Phoenix
Olivia > Stonewright

I'd also play the third Return over a Devil's Play, Dreadbore over some number of those other removal spells, and make room for another Chandra MD.

I love the D...

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:51 pm

[deck]
Creatures (18)
2 Stonewright
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Falkenrath Aristocrat
4 Thundermaw Hellkite

nSpells (17)
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
2 Doom Blade
2 Tribute to Hunger
2 Rakdos's Return
1 Devil's Play
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands (25)
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Blood Crypt
3 Rakdos Guildgate
3 Mutavault
2 Swamp
9 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
2 Duress
1 Electrickery
2 Frostburn Weird
1 Doom Blade
2 Rakdos Charm
1 Tribute to Hunger
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Sire of Insanity
2 Blasphemous Act
1 Mountain
[/deck]

Mmmm, meaty.
If you're going to be more controlling:
Reckoner > Phoenix
Olivia > Stonewright

I'd also play the third Return over a Devil's Play, Dreadbore over some number of those other removal spells, and make room for another Chandra MD.
In building a deck made to beat control decks, I'm not a fan of Reckoner. In fact I've really begun to dislike him since so many decks can play around him now. I prefer the Phoenix not only for the evasion but that it is recurring reach and also pairs well with Stonewright.

nAs for Olivia, I would have to think hard about that if I were to run a deck like this. There are some advantages and disadvantages to running her.

As for Devil's Play as a one-of, I've found the flashback to be very relevant vs control decks as well as it's ability to hit creatures. I stand by my choice as a one-of for this card.

Nuwen

Postby Nuwen » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:43 pm

"Olivia AND 4 Stonewright? Nuwen, you're so terribad."

This is my GO BIG sledgehammer list. Fate scorned me too when I said I wanted to play 4 Stonewright AND Olivia mainboard. We're still testing, but my experience with Stonewright in multiples and/or with Olivia has been quite positive. Here's why:

Olivia Voldaren usually takes over the game after she resolves. That's her expected effect, and it's the reason why we play the hobitch. But in what situations can Olivia fail to stabilize or win a game?

Olivia can be too slow against R/* emissary decks. She can untap to kill 2 toughness and stonewall until... your opponent draws reach? Another Hellrider?

She often can't play both offense AND defense if your opponent has accelerated their threat count via emissary. I've been in situations where Olivia
cannot swing because it grants my opponent anywhere from 4-8 additional cards as lethal outs if her fat ass isn't primed to block (this happens a lot! Our plan to 1-1 threats each turn means our life bar gets chipped down quickly until we stabilize).

An efficient mana dump is only as useful as the damage it resolves, in my opinion. Stonewright+Olivia gives you the flexibility of placing your opponent on a clock without offering them additional outs while you win. I like that Stonewright enables Olivia to resolve & win in a situation where she didn't always guarantee stability alone. Nifty.

Otherwise my experience with the two is exactly what you'd expect: win moar because all my mana is damage. I've swung in for lethal (on average) a full turn earlier w/ Stonewright+Olivia versus Olivia alone, just because Olivia costs twice the mana to represent the same damage. In situations where Olivia's toughness is irrelevant because you're flat-out racing, this is a cool option to have available. I
over-value this flexibility against midrange decks that play Selesnya Charm, because you can force your opponent to exile Stonewright and then proceed to win. I like that their interaction further limits the few standard outs to Olivia.

What's a "bad" scenario with 4 Stonewrights? Multiples, of course. You don't need two discrete mana dumps on the same board. I typically find that if I'm swinging with Stonewright + X, my opponent is forced to block/interact with Stonewright to remain healthy. This allows us to pump through X for damage and leaves X threat on the board.

If X's priority is higher than Stonewright ("I'll remove X, because Stonewright alone is weak") a followup 1 drop is an ideal way to continue representing damage with your mana. Stonewright has pseudo-haste.

What's the WORST case scenario? Two Stonewrights soulbound together out of necessity, right? As a turn 1/2 play, these guys aren't too far behind more
traditional one-drops like cackler/noble. Statistically, the rest of your hand in these situations will be removal/top-end finisher (if you don't have those cards, why did you keep the hand?). A clear board and Stonewright pump spells death. Even if your interaction is under the statistical curve, you'd suicide a cackler in for damage, right? A suicidal pair of Stonewrights can represent much more raw power, which puts your opponent in the hammer zone for our evasive top-end.

So those are the pitfalls. Now, what are the benefits to seeing Stonewright more frequently? My ground creature core prioritizes two keywords: first strike and haste. First stike and Stonewright will fight through any creature in the format. Period. This combination of effects will most definitely force your opponent to spend cards to block/swing where you're only spending mana. Each of the first strikers (Reckoner, Zealot) are important enough to demand removal priority OVER Stonewright, which complements our plan of tapping out
to kill someone T4/T5 (Stonewright and Hellkite will have swung for 15 damage after T6... that demands interaction or game loss).

Stonewright and any evasive creature end the game.

I once heard Fate say that small synergistic interactions are the hallmark of a well-built deck. My favorite play so far is Stonewright+Zealot soulbound, pump through the first stike combat phase and then sac both for more power via Aristocrat. That's a lot of damage value from 3 cards.

Olivia+Boros Reckoner is also a cute avenue upstairs for a little extra damage per turn.

~~~

The sideboard plan is pretty clear-cut.

3 mortars <-> 3 spike jesters against creature-based aggro and midrange

2 conscripts 3 Phoenix 3 Chandra 3 mortars <-> 2 Olivia 3 spike sesters 2 doom 4 pillar against Jund (I don't like testing my luck in the who-can-resolve-Olivia-first game, Jund has farseek)

3 Chandra 2 R. Return 3 Chandra's Phoenix <-> 2 dreadbore 4 pillars 2 doom blade against U/* control (against
Grixis control I'll throw in the bonfires for 2 spears because they lack lifegain and win with creatures/Ral'Z or milling, game is very grindy but their only true card advantage comes from think twice. I know this isn't a strong archetype but it's played at one LGS near me, so I included a plan to beat it).

Rakdos' Returning a phoenix to your hand postboard is preeeetty gravy. Mainboard play against control needs to be tight because there is so much dead removal in our deck and we depend on resolving big cards, but Stonewright can weave around tempo plays.

The flex slots are: Conscripts, the 3rd Chandra, Bonfire. These 5 cards might change with more tuning and testing.
So high, so low, so many things to know.

Nuwen

Postby Nuwen » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:10 pm

Oh, I should also point out that I would play 3+ Hellkites if we had a full set. It's verysuperprobably more optimal to play an additional 5 drop and 1 fewer Stonewright, even though I just went off about how 4 isn't so bad. 3 seems like the best number. Have considered Exava as a one-of as well, but her lack of evasion as a 4 drop gives me pause even if she does have first strike/haste.

I don't have real testing to support this speculation but I thought I'd mention it as a footnote.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:19 pm

4 stonewrights is what you want as it's healthy for your curve as your only proactive turn 1 plays are stonewright and rakdos's guildgate which is slightly below par for a healthy curve(8 turn 1 plays).

Patrick chapin

Haplo19
Newcomer

Postby Haplo19 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:03 am

Hi all, back after a short hiatus from magic. I haven't played much since before the big diaspora from MTGS.

Anyways, took my Dos Rakis list to FNM to kick the tires and had a great time, went 2-2. Also finally completed my playset of Boros Reckoners (yussssss.) Just going to jump in here with two quick Qs:

1. Nuwen! - hi, don't remember you from mtgs but looks like you are doing a superb job updating this thread. Really loved the primer at the start, I used it a ton tonight while making trades to tune up my deck. Thanks!

2. We are 1 month out from the release of Theros, which sadly means the rotation of the beautiful freight train of destruction that is Falkenrath Aristocrat. Without the star of Dos Rakis, do you really think it will be worth keeping optimizing a B/R list, or will it finally be time to sleeve up Gruul or Mono-red? In the meantime, I'm going to try and hit all the FNMs I can to see the old girl
out, and will probably pour a 40 of OE on the curb come Sept 27...

cheers!
your sigs are all unnecessarily large -_-

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi all, back after a short hiatus from magic. I haven't played much since before the big diaspora from MTGS.

Anyways, took my Dos Rakis list to FNM to kick the tires and had a great time, went 2-2. Also finally completed my playset of Boros Reckoners (yussssss.) Just going to jump in here with two quick Qs:

1. Nuwen! - hi, don't remember you from mtgs but looks like you are doing a superb job updating this thread. Really loved the primer at the start, I used it a ton tonight while making trades to tune up my deck. Thanks!

2. We are 1 month out from the release of Theros, which sadly means the rotation of the beautiful freight train of destruction that is Falkenrath Aristocrat. Without the star of Dos Rakis, do you really think it will be worth keeping
optimizing a B/R list, or will it finally be time to sleeve up Gruul or Mono-red? In the meantime, I'm going to try and hit all the FNMs I can to see the old girl out, and will probably pour a 40 of OE on the curb come Sept 27...

cheers!
If you want an idea of what RB will look like after rotation it's best to look at Block Constructed. I have a thread dedicated to RB block here. Take a look at the last deck down for what it may look like. Obviously there are no M14 cards like Doom Blade here but a lot of the core will remain intact.

http://community.ist.utl.pt/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1082

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:56 am

we gain massive boost in thoughtsize. Underworld Cerberus is a possibility, sure he is no removal proof but he is a 5 mana 6/6 that pretty much cant be blocked, the 2nd ability seems akward in this format butt he 3rd ability if he dies just put all guys into hands might be relevant. magma jet might also be relevant. who knows what else we will see.

deck ill proly look like
cackler
zealot
jester
jet
thoughtsize
underworld cererus
doomblade?
dreadbore?
Ogre Battledriver?
I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Sweet mother of mayhem...I just realized how utterly outrageous it could be to curve from Ogre Battledriver into Underworld Cerberus. A hasty 8/6 unblockable on its ETB turn? That is insane!
Righteous sig by NBW

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:32 pm

I'd rather use new Enchantment Artifact than him.

- Ogre Battledriver is great when you cast creatures after him
- Ogre Battledriver sucks when you cast him after creatures
- Ogre Battledriver is extremally meh when there are no creatures on the field

- Hammer is good when you cast creatures after him AND when you cast him after creatures
- Hammer is meh/fine when there are no creatures on the field

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Point, Yarpus; we will have quite a bit of testing to do...
Righteous sig by NBW

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:26 pm

I also think the hammer is better, for these reasons:

1. It gives us another 3cmc spell to use. Right now we have Reckoner and Phoenix, and usually not all 8 in the 60 at once
2. It really mitigates flooding
3. It has some synergy with Chandra, being able to hit those extra lands to turn into Golems
4. The 4-spot is starting to fill up, with Excava and Chandra
5. And my favorite reason - it now gives RakHammer its card namesake.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:45 pm

Reckoner is cool when you are the midrange. Well, Rakhammer is some kind of midrange. So I'd say it fits.
Chandra's Phoenix is probably out of discussion. You need to play both reliable burn cards and Chandra to make it worth. It obviously all depends on burn's quality - but I'd probably play Toughtseize/Dreadbore/Magma Jet now. And that would mean CP sucks just like Children Pornography does.

[deck]Creatures (28):
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 1-CMC card
4 Ash Zealot
4 Spike Jester
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
4 Underworld Cerberus

Other Spells (8):
4 Shock / Toughtseize
4 Dreadbore / Mizzium Mortars / Magma Jet

Lands (24):
4 Blood Crypt
4 New Dual
2 Rakdos Guildgate
14 Mountain

Sideboard (15):
15 Cards[/deck]

Toughtseize if Control/ramp Midrange is popular. Shock if Aggro/dork Midrange is popular.
Dreadbore if Control is popular. Mizzium Mortars if Midrange is popular. Magma Jet if
aggro is popular.
Boros Reckoner if Aggro/Midrange is more popular. Hammer if Control is more popular.

And I'd want to have most of these cards in my 75 with addition of Rakdos' Return, Rakdos Charm, Slaughter Games. Toughtseize seems to be SB card for this kind of deck as there's little-to-no chance for T1 cast with only 4 lands allowing you to do that. And you loose 4 life just to do that. It's backbreaking against Aggro and not-that-awesome against midrange.
Rakdos Keyrune is also great card as overall, as it not only powers up T4 Cerberus but also can swing for 3 while dodging wrath effects.
Sire of Insanity is an option if Sphinx's Revelation controls start to wreak the format again. But I'd rather just Slaughter Games that bitch as I'd be too scared of removal/counterspells.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:37 am

yeah sadly i think phoenix gets the axe when you want to be playing awesome black removal (aka not burn) like doom blade and dreadbore. all the more reason that hammer looks sweet.

I like Yarpus' list for starters. Cerberus definitely looks like a real Rakhammerin card

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:46 am

i like that list, hope we get a legit one drop out of this set. and hopefully a solid burn spell outside of magama jet ( is it just me or does that card feel HUGE for us) the ability to pick off a early drop and scry just feels like it gives us some options that we didn't have previously in the way of card selection. I hope we can find a better 4 drop then exava( im not her biggest fan, but atm I don't see a better option) I am feeling we can go slightly deeper in black and play underworld connections also( out of board?) im a little shocked I missed hammer my first pass through that card seems a beating vs some decks.
I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

Nuwen

Postby Nuwen » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:36 pm

A true Rakhammer arises...

Going to test some proxy brews today with Fate & Friends Co. I'm quite excited for Cerberus and scry mechanics via magmajet, plus the 3 CMC scry 2 draw 2 for more control-oriented lists. Yarpus' list looks pretty spot-on for my midrange creature list, and I especially agree that Rakdos Keyrune is going to enjoy time in the spotlight.
Heyo, nice to meet you /late. My account over on MGTS is lurk-only. Most of this thread's flesh was forged by Windstrider, who is currently taking a sabbatical.
All praise & glory to him.

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:33 pm

With new wall being spoiled, I'd even risk swapping Ash Zealot for Gore-House Chainwalker. You get additional value when your Cerberus dies, and you are rebuilding your field with Exava-Chainwalker. And you can play 2-4 Godless Shrine for sake of consistency of black splash without loosing capability of casting Boros Reckoner.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:30 am

You're overreacting, Yarpus. We don't just give up of the best red two drops ever just because one measly wall gets spoiled. After all, they can only have 4 of them...
Sig by NBW.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:29 am

We know already that R and RB are going to have numerous options for creature curves...For now, it's about waiting to see what removal Theros will bring to the table. Specifically, edicts and sweepers--if we get any of either this go-round--are going to significantly impact our deckbuilding strategies. If black picks up a T4/T5 range sweeper, we may want to look into a more midrange strategy and eschew early aggression in favor of setting up for bigger drops. On the other hand, if red were to get a Whipflare analog, it would paint a different picture.

Nothing is certain at this point, other than the fact that Wizards has a habit of pulling people back and forth with the order of spoilers. Every spoiler season there are early reveals that look format-warping, but more often than not they are not as impactful as they first appear. Also, strategies vary; while the Caryatid could indeed be a wall,
the person who choses to play it must decide between keeping a blocker or using it as a mana dork. I'm personally more concerned with the fact that it represents hard-to-remove mana ramp than its ability to wall out Zealot; why are they going to leave a wall up when they can ramp out something to outclass our curve instead?

Keep in mind too that said "wall" will be available to Gruul players as well...no one knows where the proverbial chips will fall...
Righteous sig by NBW

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:09 am

Purphoros, God of the Forge
is this guy a thing?
turn 1 cackler, turn 2 zealot, turn 3 reckoner turn 4 6/5 indistructble. with built in mana sink and extra damage out put. the big issue I see with him is after a board wipe you leftwith just him sitting as a enchantment. of course with a couple of guys he is gas.

sample list
4 cackler
4 one drop
4 ash zealot
4 spikejester/chain walker
4 magma jet
2 purphoros
4 underworld Cerberus
2 hammer
3 exavra
2 doomblade
3 shock

4 blood cryt
4 guild gate
4 new b/r dule
12 mountains

side options
dreadbore
rakdos return
thoughtsize
skullcrack
slaughter games
rakdos charm
some form of way of dealing with gods? devour flesh?
shock
mizzium morters
extra hammer
extra copy of the god?
flames of the firebrand

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:38 pm

I'm thinkin' Rakdos Cackler -> Ash Zealot -> Hammer of Purphoros -> Purphoros, God of the Forge. Don't think anyone can beat two creatures, an enchantment that makes Finthoof Boars, and a god that adds a Shock onto each creature played, esp. on two life.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:23 pm

I like the Hammer and, to a lesser extent, Purphoros in a higher curve/larger impact package.

Remember what make Dos Rakis work so well? It wasn't its speed nearly as much as the higher-per-spell quality of its cards.

So far, I'm thinking:
[deck]Creatures: 21
4 Ash Zealot
4 Spike Jester
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge

Spells: 16
4 Dreadbore
4 Magma Jet
3 Rakdos's Return
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands: 23
4 Blood Crypt
4 Godless Shrine
4 Rakdos Guildgate
11 Mountain
[/deck]

I love the D...

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:44 pm

Nothing is certain at this point, other than the fact that Wizards has a habit of pulling people back and forth with the order of spoilers. Every spoiler season there are early reveals that look format-warping, but more often than not they are not as impactful as they first appear. Also, strategies vary; while the Caryatid could indeed be a wall, the person who choses to play it must decide between keeping a blocker or using it as a mana dork. I'm personally more concerned with the fact that it represents hard-to-remove mana ramp than its ability to wall out Zealot; why are they going to leave a wall up when they can ramp out something to outclass our curve instead?
I've never meant anything less. Drop it T2 to block Zealot. Tap it T3 to make Zealot irrelevant as you cast some huge spell. That's what I'm scared of.
And that's why I'd play Gore-House Chainwalker instead. Zealot's First
Strike is not the same FS we used with Stonewright remember. It's only relevant in aggro matchups now.

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:17 am

I like the Hammer and, to a lesser extent, Purphoros in a higher curve/larger impact package.

Remember what make Dos Rakis work so well? It wasn't its speed nearly as much as the higher-per-spell quality of its cards.

So far, I'm thinking:
[deck]Creatures: 21
4 Ash Zealot
4 Spike Jester
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge

Spells: 16
4 Dreadbore
4 Magma Jet
3 Rakdos's Return
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands: 23
4 Blood Crypt
4 Godless Shrine
4 Rakdos Guildgate
11 Mountain
[/deck]
this build is interesting, expensive as hell :crazy: I am not
sure about jester in this build, jester feels much more of a speed card and dropping all the one drops makes him feel a lot weaker. did you not like the cerburus? what is your opinion on the new dragon.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:06 am

[deck]Creatures (20)
4x Young Pyromancer
4x Ash Zealot
4x Boros Reckoner
4x Hellrider
2x Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
2x Shadowborn Demon

Instants & Sorceries (17)
4x Pillar of Flame
2x Shock
4x Searing Spear
3x Dreadbore
2x Doom Blade
2x Mizzium Motors

Land (23)
4x Blood Crypt
4x Dragonskull Summit
2x Godless Shrine
2x Mutavault
11x Mountain[/deck]

Tossing my Rakdos deck up that I intend to take over when Theros in in hopes that certain cards that are lost in rotation can be replaced. Looking to add in Magma Jet, Read The Bones, and possibly the hammer and Red God. This list is very different from the Rakdos decks posted.

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:15 am

[deck]Creatures (20)
4x Young Pyromancer
4x Ash Zealot
4x Boros Reckoner
4x Hellrider
2x Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
2x Shadowborn Demon

Instants & Sorceries (17)
4x Pillar of Flame
2x Shock
4x Searing Spear
3x Dreadbore
2x Doom Blade
2x Mizzium Motors

Land (23)
4x Blood Crypt
4x Dragonskull Summit
2x Godless Shrine
2x Mutavault
11x Mountain[/deck]

Tossing my Rakdos deck up that I intend to take over when Theros in in hopes that certain cards that are lost in rotation can be replaced. Looking to add in Magma Jet, Read The Bones, and possibly the hammer and Red God. This list is very different from the Rakdos decks posted.

I really feel the new red god is close to power level of hellrider, it just feels so
strong even when not in creature mode. jet is a no brainer, if your playing red you playa full set I cnat think of a reason not to. Hammer the jury is still out on its one of those nich cards that can be absured but sometimes just isn't. read the bones is def intertsing, though I think it has more effect in a deck similer to this seasons rock builds. however if your on the pyromancer into the god into sorcerys and isntants plan it might be okay
my problem I am looking at these prices of cards already and am like :scared: dear god am I even going to be able to play states this year :slant:

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:24 am

I really feel the new red god is close to power level of hellrider, it just feels so strong even when not in creature mode. jet is a no brainer, if your playing red you playa full set I cnat think of a reason not to. Hammer the jury is still out on its one of those nich cards that can be absured but sometimes just isn't. read the bones is def intertsing, though I think it has more effect in a deck similer to this seasons rock builds. however if your on the pyromancer into the god into sorcerys and isntants plan it might be okay
my problem I am looking at these prices of cards already and am like :scared: dear god am I even going to be able to play states this year
Hammer would be there for the ability to make 3/3s when flood occurs. Looking at Thoughtseize and Stormbreath Dragon also. Prices for pre orders will be high but prices will drop once the set hits the market.

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:36 am

I really feel the new red god is close to power level of hellrider, it just feels so strong even when not in creature mode. jet is a no brainer, if your playing red you playa full set I cnat think of a reason not to. Hammer the jury is still out on its one of those nich cards that can be absured but sometimes just isn't. read the bones is def intertsing, though I think it has more effect in a deck similer to this seasons rock builds. however if your on the pyromancer into the god into sorcerys and isntants plan it might be okay
my problem I am looking at these prices of cards already and am like :scared: dear god am I even going to
be able to play states this year :slant:
Hammer would be there for the ability to make 3/3s when flood occurs. Looking at Thoughtseize and Stormbreath Dragon also. Prices for pre orders will be high but prices will drop once the set hits the market.
thoughtsize is a no brainer post side, the dragon not so much, he realy depends on it archangel of thrun is a thing of not. I like hammer a lot but I am still unsure of numbers on it is 2 to few? is 3 to many?

Return to “Archives”