[Primer] Dos Rakis

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Yarpus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:42 am

I'd say 2. Multiples are pretty bad, and you are decently okay with drawing it late game.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:57 pm

I like the Hammer and, to a lesser extent, Purphoros in a higher curve/larger impact package.

Remember what make Dos Rakis work so well? It wasn't its speed nearly as much as the higher-per-spell quality of its cards.

So far, I'm thinking:
[deck]Creatures: 21
4 Ash Zealot
4 Spike Jester
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge

Spells: 16
4 Dreadbore
4 Magma Jet
3 Rakdos's Return
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands: 23
4 Blood Crypt
4 Godless Shrine
4 Rakdos Guildgate
11 Mountain
[/deck]
nthis build is interesting, expensive as hell :crazy: I am not sure about jester in this build, jester feels much more of a speed card and dropping all the one drops makes him feel a lot weaker. did you not like the cerburus? what is your opinion on the new dragon.
I think Jester is fine - any card that's likely to be some amount of damage + a 1-for-1 is going to keep you ahead. Cerebus is good, but I don't see myself abusing its ability with so few creatures to get back (not to mention the multiple playable ways to bounce/exile him to negate his value). The new dragon wasn't spoiled yet when I made the list, but I actually really like it. 4/4 for 5 isn't great, but it's got Flying, Haste, and a relevant protection + a pretty kick-ass ability if you just happen to hit 7 mana - I'm pretty sure I want to find room for it as my Hellkite replacement.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:23 pm

How good is hammer in that build now that I look at it only 6 dudes dont have haste, add in the dragon Mabey less, hammer dosnt feel right main deck there. If you were playing Cerberus I can see it. Hammer just feels out of place if it is just being used as a mana sink. I can sort of see it in conjunction with the god, but they are both just two odd harder tohit both that way.
I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Both the hammer and the god provide what Dos Rakis strives for: inevitability.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:06 pm

It's mostly just there to crank out Hasty 3/3s - with Chandra basically drawing you +1 card a turn I imagine extra lands will be a very real thing.
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:40 pm

Ahhh yeah with Chandra that makes sense.
I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:01 pm

So apparently we arnt allowed to discuss theros in these threads, or at lest in threads people decide to bitch about people discusini theros so who wants to start a thread so that jack apes that complain, I would but I don't be a computer atm and a primer is way to much to type from a phone.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:15 pm

[quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=95859#p95859:ivi5zevx]warwizard87 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:01 pm[/url:ivi5zevx]":ivi5zevx]So apparently we arnt allowed to discuss theros in these threads, or at lest in threads people decide to bitch about people discusini theros so who wants to start a thread so that jack apes that complain, I would but I don't be a computer atm and a primer is way to much to type from a phone.[/quote:ivi5zevx]

Dude... chillax. It's not a big deal and not deserving of drama.

I like speculating the second we get some new info too, but this isn't the place to do it since those cards/deck lists haven't put up any results. We were both wrong but you just happened to be the one to get called out on it. From now on we'll just post shit like that were it belongs: Speculation and, later, Developing.

No harm done.

I love the D...

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:28 pm

So apparently we arnt allowed to discuss theros in these threads, or at lest in threads people decide to bitch about people discusini theros so who wants to start a thread so that jack apes that complain, I would but I don't be a computer atm and a primer is way to much to type from a phone.
Dude... chillax. It's not a big deal and not deserving of drama.

I like speculating the second we get some new info too, but this isn't the place to do it since those cards/deck lists haven't put up any results. We were both wrong but you just happened to be the one to get called out on it. From
now on we'll just post shit like that were it belongs: Speculation and, later, Developing.

No harm done.
Thats why im asking some one to post a primer there cuz I can't cell phones are not good for a crap ton of typing that is needed for a primer. Still dosnt mean I'm not steamed about it :flame: but that's why I'm asking so I can comply. Having a fried mother board is a pain in the ass -_- can't even mws atm

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:06 pm

I would play the hammer as a 1-of, no more as of right now. Red may get some better goodies once Theros is fully spoiled.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:52 am

You need to fix your attitude.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:52 am

Really z? I need to fix my attitude cuz I asked that someone make a primer in the new card section for the discussion we were already having in here so I can comply with what Alex said, since I can't make a primer cuz I'm using a cell phone, and cell phones are not good for long posts with multiple images card lists ect. I been here since the fos shift and this is the first time I have seen any issue disucussing a spoiler set of cards, I am very animated when it comes to red decks its Pretty much all I play, and quite literally the next tourney ill even be able to play on is states so the current meta means little to me, and the future meta is all I'm intersted in. But here is what I have seen here, some threads no one complains about spoiled cards and the entire thread as a community jumps in it and works on it, or one or two members jump on some one talking about spoiled cards and a argument breaks out, every time a new
set comes out I have not seen the latter happen untill NOW the former is the norm. That said im done posting in here untill the set is spoiled or some one posts a primer in the new card section. Sorry for being a bother.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:01 am

My issues (I would have thought this was obvious):
- calling their behaviour, which follows the rules 'bitching'
- leaving a thread where both mods have already discussed the issue to come here and 'bitch'
- spelling and grammar; it doesn't need to be perfect but make an effort; Alex and I post off our phones as well. Legibility helps but also means that your points get across better; you look like you're rambling and ranting, even though I know you're not.

Chill redbro.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Haplo19
Newcomer

Postby Haplo19 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:13 am

Whoa the drams. Anyways.
I made a post in the Rumor Mill about some new cards I'm really excited for.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1449
At present I am leaning towards mono-Red but I'd love to discuss if these cards have a home in Dos Rakis.
your sigs are all unnecessarily large -_-

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:06 pm

So we're testing a new rakis list and Exava is INSANE now that all the tokens n shit are rotating out.

The big hasty threats are rotating, but Exava is the NEW hasty threat

dont need no 4/4 dargon when you got a 4/4 with hard as shit to deal with evasion

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:04 am

A new list will necessitate a new banner for the deck. I have the one I originally created and can easily replace the images for Aristocrat and Hellkite. Exava fits perfectly where Falkenrath Aristocrat used to be. I can send it the link to Nuwen after the new list is developed.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:33 am

So we're testing a new rakis list and Exava is INSANE now that all the tokens n shit are rotating out.

dont need no 4/4 dargon when you got a 4/4 with hard as shit to deal with evasion
Looking forward to this new list. She always seemed like a good card, being a hasty 4/4 with first strike there isn't much that could stop her but Hellrider was just too awesome. I'm looking at playing R/B post-rotation even though there is a lack of scry land.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Why not play both?

I like lots of Hasty hard to deal with critters.

You can call the deck "Master Hobits" because everything is so Hasty.
:V
Last edited by redthirst on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I love the D...

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:58 pm

Exava being good isn't news to me. I've got eight (one foil) in my binder in anticipation of her shooting up significantly.

If you're playing RB after rotation there's no excuse to not run her.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:48 pm

Is there any interest in adding Tymaret, the Murder King to Dos Rakis?
SM, you complete me. :love:

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:50 pm

1. because I think r/g ramping into dragon+monstrousity more consistently might be a better shell for him
2. R/b has a LOT of good cards right now, so cutting land and fitting in allt hose good cards seem better than the necessary 24/25 mana required to hit dragon on curve, but hell this might be fine for people running rakdos' return in the 75.
3. I want to give Ceberus a try as a curve topper as well, because of how it can refuel against control, and also is HUGE on defense/offense against midrange stuff (G/W in particular looks like a problematic match-up)

Ninja:

Tymaret+Chandra's Phoenix. Just think about it ;D

Jakeh56
Newcomer

Theros

Postby Jakeh56 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:59 am

Hey guys, i'm pretty new to posting (only really have lurked on here and MTGS), just wondering when it's alright to post about theros stuff, pre realease or actual release? I've been playtesting the shizz out of a proxy Rakhammer which has been getting REALLY good results, and i'm itching to tell you guys all about it :P.

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:06 am

Just try FoS Clan Thread. We're free to talk about it there.
Also, not sure if there should be any problem to post your thing here.
Welcome and enjoy!

Jakeh56
Newcomer

Postby Jakeh56 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:53 am

I'm not sure in the slightest how to get to the clan page and or join/post on it XD, so i'll just post the deck list here and a little bit about it (I won't make it too detailed just in case we aren't alowd to post theros stuff here). Any questions and critisism is always appreciated.

[deck]Rakhammer[/deck]

It's
still rough around to edges, and the sideboard is pretty messy atm (that'll change as I get a better grasp on what people are playing post rotation). But basically it provides what we want as Dos Rakis. Speed and Flexibilty.
All haste 2 drops, exava playsets and 2 stormbreath + 8 burn spells provides early to mid game hasty threats, while ash zealot and exava specifically also being solid on defence against aggro, plus reckoners being kings as usual. I was suss about Purphoros at first but he has proven to be an amazing card, especially it deadlock situations, either providing and explosive turn 5 as a 6/5 with stormbreath (whos pro white has proven to be invaluable) or just providing inevitibilty with his shock on creature ETB. Same with Underworld doggy with 2 at the top of the curve an amazing creature on attack being basically unblockable and a 6/6 on defence refilling my hands with what is usually more efficient cards than they get back if it dies.

Pretty standard burn suite + dragon mantle (who
to be honest I just treat like stonewright and not as a spell) and doom blade to stop anything that isn't black.
Sideboard is a mess lol, The only things I know I wouldn't move is thoughtseize, Rakdos' return and probably dreadbore. I just chucked in more of the different 4 and 5 drops to swap them in and out for different situations, but all round it's worked pretty solidly.

Anyway through my playesting it has been showing some pretty damn good results, which im happy about being pretty much the only deck i've legitamtly made with no help. Hope you guys like it :P.

Welcome to the site, but please take a moment to familiarize yourself with our forum rules. Post rotation discussion is not allowed in this part of the forum (it has already been discussed in this thread). You'll need to hang tight. The clan section of the webpage can be accessed via the index page, it is near the
bottom. Welcome to the site - Zem

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:17 pm

So, all of Theros is spoiled and, afaik, there won't be another major Standard tournament featuring the current card pool, so we about ready to clean all this out and start some post-rotation brewing?

I love the D...

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:35 pm

I already have a primer thread ready for my brew. I look forward to the cleansing.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:52 pm

I can't do it from my phone, but if Alex can't do it by the time I get home, it's happening tonight my time (so in ~16 hours).
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:00 am

I went ahead and posted mine so I'll just request a move once the other threads are archived.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:30 pm

before I forget, thrill-kill assasin is probably a card worth revisiting

Return to “Archives”