Krenko, Mob Boss

Decklists intended for 1v1 games can be posted here

Moderator: Manasjap

Manasjap
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Krenko, Mob Boss

Postby Manasjap » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:00 pm

This is my current :symr: [card=krenko:25t15lpm]Krenko, Mob Boss[/card:25t15lpm] :symr: EDH deck.
I started brewing it because I wanted a cheap and fun deck that was not too powerful and easy and still cool to play. While digging through my collection I found a lot of goblins, some good and some less good. Just adding all of them to the deck, there was not a lot of room to add high quality other cards and I just went with the current list.
After playing a few games it turned out my estimation of how good the deck is, was a [i:25t15lpm]little[/i:25t15lpm] bit off to say the least. If an opponents has no removal to clear out Krenko on turn 4/5, it is likely that they will go down in that turn or shortly after. Some time ago I played a
multiplayer game with it, and took down the 3 other players by turn 6 on the back of Krenko, [card:25t15lpm]Quest for Pure Flame[/card:25t15lpm] and [card:25t15lpm]Goblin War Strike[/card:25t15lpm].
There are several ways to give the creatures haste in the deck, mostly because that makes Krenko (even when somebody has removal) quite a lot better.
Explosive plays, lots of crazy goblins, [card=The Boss:25t15lpm]Krenko, Mob Boss[/card:25t15lpm] as your general, this deck is amazing* :V

[deck]// Commander
Krenko, Mob Boss

// lands
36 Mountain
1 Goblin Burrows

// Creatures
1 Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
1 Goblin Guide
1 Goblin Shortcutter
1 Goblin Sledder
1 Goblin Replica
1 Goblin Bushwhacker
1 Goblin Taskmaster
1 Goblin Mountaineer
1 Goblin Piker
1 Goblin Lookout
1 Goblin Razerunners
1 Goblin King
1 Goblin Tunneler
1 Goblin Grappler
1 Goblin Ruinblaster
1 Goblin Warchief
1 Goblin Arsonist
1 Goblin
Wardriver
1 Goblin Fireslinger
1 Goblin Chieftain
1 Raging Goblin
1 Frenzied Goblin
1 Gempalm Incinerator
1 Intimidator Initiate
1 Sensation Gorger
1 Stingscourger
1 Adder-Staff Boggart
1 Zo-Zu the Punisher
1 Reckless One
1 Mogg Fanatic
1 Skirk Shaman
1 Hellraiser Goblin
1 Caterwauling Boggart
1 Rummaging Goblin
1 Mogg Sentry
1 Utvara Scalper
1 Horde of Boggarts
1 Bloodmark Mentor
1 Spikeshot Elder
1 Arms Dealer

1 Stromkirk Noble
1 Grim Lavamancer
1 Chancellor of the Forge
1 Hellrider

// Artifacts
1 Skullclamp

// Enchantments
1 Leyline of Punishment
1 In the Web of War
1 Manabarbs
1 Mass Hysteria
1 Quest for Pure Flame

// Instants
1 Punishing Fire
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Burst Lightning
1 Staggershock
1 Incinerate
1 Searing Blaze

// Sorceries
1 Red Sun's Zenith
1 Dragon Fodder
1 Reforge the Soul
1 Goblin War Strike
1 Demonfire
1 Wheel of Fate[/deck]

*Pillaging sprees after beating your opponent optional

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:40 pm

I just made this deck! I'll post my list at some point
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
it's not cheating if you hand her the jizz afterwards
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:08 pm

Goblin Lackey, Warren Instigator, Shared Animosity, Furnace of Rath, Marton Stromgald, Akki Drillmaster (goblin that gives haste), Siege Gang Commander, Brightstone Ritual, Goblin Recruiter, Goblin Matron, Goblin Ringleader? I'd mention Piledriver, but he's a bit ridiculous now.

Seems interesting.

Shalako
Je mourrai pour ceux que j'aime

Postby Shalako » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Shared Animosity, Furnace of Wrath, Siege Gang Commander, Brightstone Ritual, Goblin Recruiter, Goblin Matron, Goblin Ringleader? I'd mention Piledriver, but he's a bit ridiculous now.
! These were the exact ones I was thinking of.

Tarfire as a toolbox Goblin Burn Spell.

In my old goblin deck I had a ton of fun with Boggart Shenanigans but it may be too slow. Taurean Mauler is a good Goblin who grows and is great against Slivers.

Manasjap

Postby Manasjap » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Hmm, those are some very good suggestions guys, I believe I have most of those cards lying around here. What would you suggest taking out? Mass Hysteria and Leyline of Punishment seem like stuff that would go out first.

Not sold on Brightstone Ritual though, you usually dump your hand pretty fast anyway so it would only be useful with an X spell.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:01 pm

Mass Hysteria is way too good in this deck. Any way to give your general haste is, I think, a must-play. (Although Fervor is better)

Also, I wasn't sold on Brightstone Ritual until I used it. Don't ditch it until you are able to cast it. I had a turn that was clinically insane with that card (unfortunately, I can't remember details), but I will never cut that card now.
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:56 pm

I've never played one of these myself, don't know precisely how good Brightstone will be, but traditionally, emptying your hand in goblins is pretty ridiculous so long as you can find sufficient ways to refill.

I'd cut Goblin Razerunners, Piker, Tunneler, Leyline, all four of your non-goblin creatures, and I'm not entirely sold on a number of the instants and sorceries. Burn isn't typically very good removal in EDH, and there's much better ways to multiply your damage quotient, like Coat of Arms, Eldrazi Monument, Marton Stromgald, Rage Reflection, Gratuitous Violence, Breath of Fury, etc.

Krenko's Command, Goblin Chirurgeon, Thousand Year Elixir, Battle Hymn, Sparksmith, and Beetleback Chief all seem to be things that other Krenko decks are using, too.

Shalako
Je mourrai pour ceux que j'aime

Postby Shalako » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:53 pm

I've never played one of these myself, don't know precisely how good Brightstone will be, but traditionally, emptying your hand in goblins is pretty ridiculous so long as you can find sufficient ways to refill.

I'd cut Goblin Razerunners, Piker, Tunneler, Leyline, all four of your non-goblin creatures, and I'm not entirely sold on a number of the instants and sorceries. Burn isn't typically very good removal in EDH, and there's much better ways to multiply your damage quotient, likeCoat of Arms, Eldrazi Monument,Marton Stromgald, Rage Reflection, Gratuitous Violence, [card]Breath of Fury[/card:
32p9k9wc], etc.

[card]Krenko's Command[/card], Goblin Chirurgeon, Thousand Year Elixir,Battle Hymn, Sparksmith, and Beetleback Chief all seem to be things that other Krenko decks are using, too.
Krenko's Command! I'd replace Piker with that. Mogg War Marshal is another better 2 drop.

Obsidian Battle-Axe Gives Krenko and other Various Goblins Haste too. Door of Destinies is a slower Coat of Arms that's I find still useful.

Banefire is a great X-Burn card. Goblin Assault and more so Goblin Warrens seem fun.
Goblin Warrens with Krenko and Brightstone seem just fun. [card]Goblin Grenade[
/card] seems like a shoe in as a finisher. Quest for the Goblin Lord is a One Drop that I'd replace one of the slower enchantments with. As a Bonus it works with Krenko.
Mogg Infestation lets you double your creatures or get rid of something game-ending your opponent has.Warbreak Trumpeter might be worth looking into.

Voracious Dragon is a good ender too that took me forever to remember what set it was and that it was more then Dragon-Blah, Blah Goblins.

Mob Justice is a 2nd Goblin War Strike that you pay One more mana for Flavor with.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:55 pm

I love Battle-Axe, I'll have to pick up a copy.

I don't think you need Door of Destinies or Coat of Arms - they don't work well with Krenko; I'd rather see more ways to get value out of the tokens (Like Mob Justice!)

I also don't think you have time to be fooling around with Banefire or Goblin Assault (though Goblin Warrens could be ok).

Goblin Grenade probably doesn't do enough... though I suppose it is flavorful spot removal.

I do run Quest for the Goblin Lord in my build. It is quite good, here.

Mogg Infestation!!! That is super sweet, I'll need to pick up a copy of that as well.

Warbreak Trumpeter seems far too expensive for his effect.

Voracious Dragon is fine, but I don't think you need him. I like the Goblin War Strike/Mob Justice effects better.

I'd consider Goblin Bombardment as well.
whisper words of wisdom

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:30 am

Kyren Negotiations? If you're just going to the dome, it seems like leaving your team alive is better. Plus, it's pretty good synergy with summoning sick Krenko tokens.

Baugla
Newcomer

Postby Baugla » Tue May 21, 2013 4:05 pm

I actually also run Krenko, Mob Boss as my general. My deck is not completely the way I want it right now, but this is going to be the end result:
[deck]
COMMANDER
1 Krenko, Mob Boss

Lands (33)
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Arid Mesa
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Hellion Crucible
1 Strip Mine