Green/White Humans

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Scott
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Green/White Humans

Postby Scott » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Well, mostly humans. I didn't want to post this in the competitive section because I haven't played any tournaments with it. However, I know it is, at least in part, tournament viable, I've seen some pretty insane human decks compete.

This deck started off as a totally casual, not-standard deck that I made right around when Innistrad came out. Recently I decided to dust if off, and at first I thought I'd go Modern with it, but I didn't think it would be very competitive in the Modern scene so I ended up sticking with Standard.

CREATURES
4x [card]Avacyn's Pilgrim[/card]
4x Champion of the Parish
4x Mayor of Avabruck
4x Silverblade Paladin
2x Wolfir Silverheart
2x Angelic Overseer
2x [card]Thraben Doomsayer[/
card]
3x Champion of Lambholt

SPELLS
4x Gather the Townsfolk
4x Selesnya Charm

ENCHANTMENTS
4x Rancor

LANDS
3x Gavony Township
5x Plains
7x Forest
4x Temple Garden
4x Sunpetal Grove

There are probably better card options, but I like a lot of the cards I am running and in a social setting the deck handles pretty well. The only thing I am not super sold on right now is the Charm; it can be a great way to get my Champions through, but we have Rancor for trample, and the other two abilities are okay, but the knight doesn't enable my Parish (though it does the Lambholt), and the exiling thing... Well, it can be nice in a pinch, but is situational. I'm still testing/playing around with the charm though. Any
suggestions are welcome though!

-Mikaeus, The Lunarch
+Thraben Doomsayer

Someone on another forum pointed out to me that he drops human tokens, which I completely overlooked. Cheaper to cast, pumps both my Champions, so definitely going in.
// EDH \\
Jenara, Asura of War
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
Pauper Diregraf Captain

// Standard \\
Green/White Human Tribal

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:16 pm

I think you definitely want your Selesnya Charm to stay in as it is an instant speed body to keep pressure on against control as well as a removal spell which your deck lacks. Do you have a sideboard?

I like Humans decks a lot but it's hard to look at this and not raise a brow. It was a potent list about a season ago, but is ignoring the fact that an entire set has been released. Where are the Experiment One's and Frontline Medic's? You also have the option of going Naya for Burning Tree Emissary and Huntmaster of the Fells.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Scott
Newcomer

Postby Scott » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:56 am

I think you definitely want your Selesnya Charm to stay in as it is an instant speed body to keep pressure on against control as well as a removal spell which your deck lacks. Do you have a sideboard?

I like Humans decks a lot but it's hard to look at this and not raise a brow. It was a potent list about a season ago, but is ignoring the fact that an entire set has been released. Where are the Experiment One's and Frontline Medic's? You also have the option of going Naya for Burning Tree Emissary and Huntmaster of the Fells.
Thanks for replying!

Yeah, I've been realizing that the charm is better than I initially thought it was; I don't have a mind for Standard, so I am still figuring things out.

Experiment One is probably
just an oversight on my part; I think I just genuinely overlooked that card. I will have to snag a couple of copies for it.

Frontline Medic is one I want, but have no copies of yet. I don't get a lot of new cards when sets come out; I've literally been out of the Standard game since Onslaught was in rotation, so this is a very new experience for me. I haven't even taken this deck to a tournament. It does incredibly well at home against my other friends standard decks though, but that might be more because their decks suck than mean anything else. I've been told it is still a solid list, though. As to why there is no naya... I don't really like red. I suppose I should expand my horizons though.

Thanks for the suggestions!

EDIT: I don't have a sideboard yet, no. I was working on one, but didn't get any further than Nevermore.
// EDH \\
Jenara, Asura of War
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
Pauper Diregraf Captain

// Standard \\
Green/White Human Tribal

Shalako
Je mourrai pour ceux que j'aime

Postby Shalako » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:58 am

I've been out of T2 for a while(and even when I was in it I wasn't great) but it seems like Cavern of Souls would be a sure thing to use.

On the Subject of adding Red to the deck when I ran out how that deck would look
Adding
[deck]Burning Tree Emissary
Kessig Wolf Run
Huntmaster of the Falls[/deck] and other Top Red Cards.
Unsurprisingly the Human Theme got cut and I ended up cutting White for wolves.

Scott
Newcomer

Postby Scott » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Yeah, Cavern is a nice card. Too bad I have no copies of it, and I think it is somewhere around 30 dollars, more than I want to spend for a 'for fun' deck. If I ever open any I'd definitely slot them in here though.

I may have to revisit going naya it seems.
// EDH \\
Jenara, Asura of War
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
Pauper Diregraf Captain

// Standard \\
Green/White Human Tribal

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:41 pm

You don't have to, but you'll want some of the GTC humans regardless of color combo.

Scott
Newcomer

Postby Scott » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:46 pm

I will. I pulled out a bunch of trade cards, so I am going to try and get my hands on a few Frontline Medics. I am thinking I might drop some of my higher costed creatures as well; I like the Wolfir's and the Overseer's a lot, but they aren't humans, and I could probably slot something better.

EDIT:

I also want to start working on my sideboard. I was thinking Riders of Gavony, I play against a lot of tribal decks with my friends, so they may be a good fit there. Nevermore is a good card, but I am not sure what else I should put in there. Maybe more utility stuff.
// EDH \\
Jenara, Asura of War
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
Pauper Diregraf Captain

// Standard \\
Green/White Human Tribal

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:50 pm

You want some number of Oblivion Ring, Thalia, and I would spring for some size of Garruk as a persistent threat against Control decks and as a way to re-up or act as removal, depending on the version of Garruk you're playing, in the sideboard.

If you can drop money on Naya cards, Huntmaster, optional Bonfire, non-optional Cavern, Boros Charm SB (reach and Wrath protection), and Resto Angel are all cards you want to look into.

Many people would probably recommend Resto in straight WG, but you're not really getting anything out of the interaction beyond a +1/+1 counter on your various growing creatures and occasionally saving something in combat/resetting a soul bond, which are all cool, but offsets some of the consistency of the rest of your deck in the process when you have better and cheaper options.

In straight GW, I would highly recommend getting Thalia into your deck, preferably into the maindeck, but definitely
at least in the SB.

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:38 pm

Dont know if [card]Angel of glory's rise[/card] is worth it or not, seen it played in Human reanimator decks, but it may be to much mana for this deck, just a suggestion though,

Shalako
Je mourrai pour ceux que j'aime

Postby Shalako » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:38 am

If He's playing Group Games at his Kitchen Table Angel of Glory's Rise would be Decent.

That came off sounding hugely Sarcastic but it's not.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:02 pm

For casual games or not we're going to recommend the best possible course for his deck, the worst he can do is say he's not going to have access to the cards we suggest for the foreseeable future. :)

Angel is okay, I'd maybe sideboard one and name it on Cavern late game against control for inevitability, but its really not necessary.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:42 am

Unless you're going infinite with the Angel, it's nothing to make focal in your deck or play more than one copy of ala madding's suggestion

Captain Murphy
The highest high, I'm Ayatollah

Postby Captain Murphy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:59 pm

What kinda human is green?
It's too bad we don't have a secret subforum where we can coordinate troll attempts where only we can see so that we don't have to catch on because only one of us is an actual rocket scientist.
I am particularly interested in committing internet genocide
in soviet gutter, New York somewhere in you

Scott
Newcomer

Postby Scott » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:51 pm

What kinda human is green?
Is that meant to be more funny than useful?
// EDH \\
Jenara, Asura of War
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
Pauper Diregraf Captain

// Standard \\
Green/White Human Tribal

Return to “Archives”