[ORI] CHANGES STARTING WITH PRO TOUR MAGIC ORIGINS

Post about Magic Rumors here!

Moderator: rezombad

rezombad
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby rezombad » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:31 am

Source:

MULLIGAN RULE UPDATE
After multiple tests, and after listening to feedback from the Magic community on ways to increase the number of interactive games of Magic with a mulligan rule, we are introducing the following change only during Pro Tour Magic Origins for the time being:

103.4. Each player draws a number of cards equal to his or her starting hand size, which is normally seven. (Some effects can modify a player’s starting hand size.) A player who is dissatisfied with his or her initial hand may take a mulligan. First, the starting player declares whether or not he or she will take a mulligan. Then each other player in turn order does the same. Once each player has made a declaration, all players who decided to take mulligans do so at the same time. To take a mulligan, a player shuffles his or her hand back into his or her library, then draws a new hand of one fewer cards than he or she had before. If a player kept his or her hand of cards, those cards become the player’s opening hand, and that player may not take any further mulligans. This process is then repeated until no player takes a mulligan. (Note that if a player’s hand size reaches zero cards, that player must keep that hand.) Then, beginning with the starting player and proceeding in turn order, any player whose opening hand has fewer cards than his or her starting hand size may scry 1.

In the event a player takes a mulligan, after they have finished and have kept their hand, they may look at the top card of their library and choose to put it on the top or bottom of their library.

This rule will make its debut at Pro Tour Magic Origins, which takes place July 31–August 2. This is the only tournament during which this rule will be in effect for now.

-----

JUDGES AND VIDEO COVERAGE

The Head Judge can now review video of matches to aid in an investigation of any rules violations that may have occurred during the video coverage for Pro Tours, the World Championship, and the World Magic Cup. The decision whether to use video as part of an investigation rests solely with the head judge.

Additionally, dedicated members of the judge staff will be stationed to watch matches that are broadcast live as part of the video coverage for Pro Tours, the World Championship, and the World Magic Cup. In the event a plays happens which is a rules violation, the judge stationed to watch the broadcast will have the ability to stop play and inform the head judge. The head judge can then use any video evidence to conduct his investigations.

-----

CARD LAYOUT IN VIDEO COVERAGE

Finally, starting with Pro Tour Magic Origins, we will be enforcing how players in the video feature match area at professional-level events—including all Pro Tours, Grand Prix, the World Magic Cup, and the World Championship—lay out their boards to one specific format. This change is being made to ensure a consistent layout of elements in a game of Magic, which leads to a more positive viewing experience that makes it easier for all viewers to follow the game.

The full details of how their cards must be laid out on the table in the video feature match area can be found below:
  • Creatures must be in front of lands, and nothing can be behind lands.
    The library can be on either side of the play area (left or right).
    The graveyard must be adjacent to the library (player can choose which side of play area both are on).
    The exile zone must be near the library/graveyard and must be distinct from the graveyard.
    If a card is exiled by a permanent in play, the exiled card must be placed in proximity to the exiling permanent such that it is obvious that the two are associated.
    All untapped cards in play must face the controller of that card.
This layout will only be enforced during matches in the area where video recording is taking place. This layout change will not be enforced outside of that, however we strongly encourage players to use this layout when playing their matches in an off-camera area. It is not only good practice for when you are under the feature match camera, but also encourages a regular layout among all Magic players, which improves everyone's ability to understand what is going on in a game when observing the gameplay area.

-----

We believe these changes will further our goal in maintaining the integrity and experience of tournament Magic, and we are always evaluating and considering feedback and discussion within the Magic community to further improve the experience we deliver.
You post on dtr? Cool? Honestly, I don't know who posts there and who doesn't.
I actually read that site quite a bit but its mostly because a lot of the people I used to interact with on MTGS are over there.
It should be a privilege to post here

rezombad
Tire Aficionado

Postby rezombad » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:34 am

looks like the mulligan change just makes playing inconsistent decks slightly better.

Play area change seems like something that's going to lead to a lot of fights between nerds at FNM.
I actually read that site quite a bit but its mostly because a lot of the people I used to interact with on MTGS are over there.

Whole

Postby Whole » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:46 am

I like the mulligan changes. I don't think it makes mulliganning into degenerate combos into a viable strategy.
excerpt from my t8 profile:

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:09 pm

The layout rule is annoying but whatever makes coverage easier, mulligan rule seems nice

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:11 pm

the mulligan rule is just being tested at pro tour mtg origins

rezombad
Tire Aficionado

Postby rezombad » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:26 pm

the mulligan rule is just being tested at pro tour mtg origins
Not only is that in the op, it is bolded for emphasis.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:47 pm

The layout rule is annoying but whatever makes coverage easier, mulligan rule seems nice
Why is it annoying?
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Pedrobear

Postby Pedrobear » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:57 pm

What is the point of experimenting a new rule on a Pro Tour ? I mean that's a regular event and a month is a little bit to do enough training in order to prepare for such a change.

I do think it's a major change, I cannot explain exactly why but better player than me could find a way to abuse of this system. It'd have been better to experiment it in a more janky tourney like at the World Cup.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:01 pm

I think they said because there's so much scrutiny at the PT and it's not just an event to have fun that it seemed best. A GP for example has way too many plebs.

Pedrobear

Postby Pedrobear » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:13 pm

Yep I totally understand why doing so in a non-public event.

But I'm the kind of guy who sometimes wish we could still put damage in the stack and apply older rules. Let's just see if this leads to a better game.

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:17 pm

Why is it annoying?
Policing how people have fun is annoying

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:21 pm

Not when the majority has less fun because of your fun

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:34 pm

I think they said because there's so much scrutiny at the PT and it's not just an event to have fun that it seemed best. A GP for example has way too many plebs.

says the top pleb

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:57 pm

that's lord pleb

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:00 pm

That's Mr. pleb you bag of dildos

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:19 pm

you are all faggots

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:24 am

Infraction for flaming, evading the censor, trolling and spam.

(You miss it, don't you?) ^_^
That explains why people keep coming over for chicken nuggets

rezombad
Tire Aficionado

Postby rezombad » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:01 am

Infraction for flaming, evading the censor, trolling and spam.

(You miss it, don't you?) ^_^
i had to log in to see this?

rezombad
Tire Aficionado

Postby rezombad » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:04 am

I think with all the mushroom using trolls that exist in pro magic nowadays that they are going to have to be a lot more specific with the 'approved battlefield' to avoid someone doing something 'technically legal'. Because this is the kind of rule that attracts that kind of asshat, in the kind of game that attracts that kind of asshat.

Return to “News and Rumors”