Anyone else on U/W Heroic?

Discussions about the Standard format

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Jojja
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Anyone else on U/W Heroic?

Postby Jojja » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:01 pm

Hey folks.

So yesterday I decided to sleeve up Tom Ross 75 U/W Heroic deck and give it a try in a 30ish man local tournament. And I have to say I was surprised at how good the deck is! Whenever I played against a Green deck I just could not lose I went 10-0 in the 5 games against all the different green archetypes in Standard without having any problems at all. The only problems I found with the deck is that it's a little soft to Jeskai and Mardu, the red decks just bring to much removal and fast clocks. I ended up making the top8 and losing in the finals to a Jeskai tempo deck after some really close games that I where decided by a Deflecting Palm I did not see coming. But overall I was really happy with the deck, and it went far better then I expected to do after sleeving it up for the first time that morning.

Anyway, I have been tweaking the the deck to make it a little more resilient against the red based decks and this is where I am with the deck right now. Any of you guys on here playing the deck? And if so whats your opinion on it?

[deck]
Creature (19)

4x Battlewise Hoplite
4x Favored Hoplite
3x Heliod's Pilgrim
4x Hero of Iroas
4x Seeker of the Way

Instant (12)

4x Defiant Strike
2x Feat of Resistance
2x Ajani's Presence
4x Gods Willing

Enchantment (8)

1x Aqueous Form
1x battle Mastery
1x Ordeal of Heliod
4x Ordeal of Thassa
1x Stratus Walk

Land (21)

4x Flooded Strand
2x Island
8x Plains
4x Temple of Enlightenment
3x Tranquil Cove

Sideboard (15)

2x Ajani's Presence
1x Aqueous Form
1x Singing Bell Strike
2x Erase
1x Heliod's Pilgrim
2x Lagonna-Band Trailblazer
1x Ordeal of Heliod
3x Stubborn Denial
2x Treasure Cruise

[/deck]

Jojja
Newcomer

Postby Jojja » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:42 pm

Seems I'm alone on the Heroics here :)

Anyway, I took the updated list to FNM and went 3-0-1(capped at 4 games) and ended up split for first. There where a lot of control players last night and it was crazy how grindy this deck can be post-SB. I was often outdrawing my opponents and the only thing keeping them in the game was Perilous Vault.

Games went as following..
U/B Control: 1-1-1 (New player so I was not able to close the game out in time, no intensional slow play, but still very slow being new)
U/R Counter-Burn: 2-1. Again the Vault got me in game 2 and slowed the games down so that I had to win on extra turns in game 3.
Esper Control: 2-0, the deck fired on all cylinders and was just unstoppable. The lack of vaults in the deck made sure he had no real game against me.
Jeskai Burn: 2-1. I mulled to 5 in the second game and could not really get there in time with him burning me out the turn before I had lethal.

So far green decks are a buy, control decks are rather easy in you have the time and super simple if they lack Perilous Vault in the deck. Still having some problems with Jeskai and Mardu if they have fast draws or loads of disruption. I found these games to be rather 50-50 when I'm on the draw and coming down to player skill. The odds are better when I get to be on the play with the U/W Heroes but only if I have a really fast hand.

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:45 am

I built this deck too after tom ross' awesome performances with it, but i have to say i am not impressed. I mean, i am conscious that i should improve my play because the deck is quite unforgiving -- make a mistake at the wrong time and you just lose-- but what concerns me is the very high mulligan ratio.
I keep getting hands with no creatures, one landers, color screw, all creatures with no auras to start the party. When everything works well, i feel unbeatable, but i would love some more consistency.

Return to “Mountain (Standard)”