Jeskai Heroic Combo

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

BiddingMaster
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Jeskai Heroic Combo

Postby BiddingMaster » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:30 pm

So far ive played this deck at one small store event a starcity games iq and two daily events and so far I think the deck has amazing potential. I went 0-2 drop in one event and I went 3-1 losing in my final game due to a lack of sideboard options vs temur. I had a different sideboard going into my first event and after playing a number of ub control decks ive come to the conclusion that my current sideboard is the correct one for now. I wold like to find room in the sideboard to deal with polukranos/hornets nest without giving up other matchups. I need a card that simultaneously deals with polukranos/butcher of the horde/jorubai murklurker while still being good against the aggressive decks but I dont know what that card should be. When I figure that out I think ill have the proper sideboard. This deck is really strong but it takes time and dedication to play and does hurt your time clock significantly if your opponent forces you to combo completely like one of my opponents did. This deck is super resilient, super aggressive and is really hard for your opponent to play against. It really forces your opponent to really think about what they want to do and how they want to play the game and if they tap out at any point it could just be game.
[deck]
creatures
2 lagonna band elder
4 favored hoplite
4 akroan crusader
4 monastery swiftspear
2 seeker of the way

enchantments
4 jeskai ascendancy
4 dragon mantle

instant/sorceries
3 retraction helix
4 defiant strike
4 gods willing
2 jeskai charm
2 triton tactics

artifacts
3 springleaf drum

lands
4 mystic monastery
3 temple of triumph
1 mountain
1 plains
3 mana confluence
4 battlefield forge
2 shivan reef

sideboard
3 erase
3 revoke existence
1 seeker of the way
1 retraction helix
1 springleaf drum
3 magma spray
1 disdainful stroke
2 negate[/deck]

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:27 pm

I've recently picked up the deck as well.

Here's my list which I stole from Matt Costa
[deck]
Creatures:
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Lagonna-Band Trailblazer
4 Akroan Crusader
3 Favored Hoplite

Noncreature Permanents:
4 Springleaf Drum
4 Jeskai Ascendancy
4 Dragon's Mantle

Spells:
4 Defiant Strike
4 Retraction Helix
4 God's Willing
2 Jeskai Charm
1 Titan's Strength

Lands:
4 Mana Confluence
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Mystic Monastery
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Temple of Enlightenment
1 Temple of Epiphany

Sideboard:
2 Ajani's Presence
2 Erase
2 Magma Spray
2 Negate
4 Seeker of the Way
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Treasure Cruise
[/deck]

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Differences between our lists and comments:

Seeker of the Way vs Trailblazer:
I think Trailblazer is one of the best creatures in the deck. It blocks everything, buying time against aggro, and it dies to less things, meaning you have dudes in play when it's time to combo. Seeker is solid against aggro, and a good threat against control, but I honestly think Trailblazer is better against aggro is also just a better game one creatures since it's combo-friendly. It comes down on turn 1 and blocks for days, whereas seeker dies to a lightning strike and you have to invest resources for him to be useful.

Full playsets of combo pieces:
For a while I was considering going down on combo pieces, but I changed my mind. I got at least 2 free wins from topdecking combo pieces at the last standard event I played in. Additionally, if you're going to go down on combo pieces, I firmly believe they should not be moved to the board. Combo is a game 1 thing when people aren't prepared for it; after boarding the hate comes in and it's much more difficult to combo, even if the combo plan is better in that matchup.

BiddingMaster

Postby BiddingMaster » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:47 pm

well thats why i bring in more of the combo is because of the hate. i can cast redundant pieces and leave them open to utter end or banishing light and the combo in the deck is not there for the same reason you stated. We have a combo in our deck for those situations that they board in ways to stall out our aggression and make it impossible to win. Its not there for free wins but as an alternate win for the the inevitability that our opponents have and gives us inevitability.

BiddingMaster

Postby BiddingMaster » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:40 am

[deck]
creatures
2 lagonna band elder
4 favored hoplite
4 akroan crusader
4 monastery swiftspear

enchantments
4 jeskai ascendancy
4 dragon mantle

instant/sorceries
4 retraction helix
4 defiant strike
4 gods willing
2 jeskai charm
2 triton tactics

artifacts
4 springleaf drum

lands
4 mystic monastery
3 temple of triumph
1 mountain
1 plains
4 mana confluence
4 battlefield forge
1 shivan reef

sideboard
3 erase
3 banishing light
2 seeker of the way
4 magma spray
1 disdainful stroke
2 negate[/deck]

ive changed the deck around a bit. I think this build makes the deck a bit more resilient with going down on mainboard seekers and more mainboard combo. Im starting to get the feeling the aggressive decks are seriously underepresented and we dont need seeker vs any deck but mono red. I like banishing light as an answer to polukranos, hornets nest, and perilous vault. I prefer more magma jets because it helps in the mirror and against the jeskai tempo decks it kills opposing seekers where seeker does almost nothing to war off an opposing seeker. Im going to try this list and see how it feels. I still like triton tactics and ive gone down on the number of lagonna band trailblazers because I really dont want to see two of them unless im playing against jeskai tempo or dimir control.

BiddingMaster

Postby BiddingMaster » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:52 pm

[deck]
creatures
3 lagonna band elder
3 favored hoplite
4 akroan crusader
4 monastery swiftspear

enchantments
4 jeskai ascendancy
4 dragon mantle

instant/sorceries
4 retraction helix
4 defiant strike
4 gods willing
2 dig through time
2 triton tactics

artifacts
4 springleaf drum

lands
4 mystic monastery
2 temple of triumph
2 mountain
2 plains
4 mana confluence
4 battlefield forge

sideboard
3 erase
3 banishing light
2 jeskai charm
3 lightning strike
2 disdainful stroke
2 negate[/deck]

this is my new list. Im really liking dig through time in this list. I can either find two combo peices or two creatures or any combination of spells that I need. Having dig means that I can play the long game even better than before. Even against the aggro decks I can block for days and then dig for two creatures and keep on blocking. I put lighting strikes in the deck for the jeskai decks because mantis rider and seeker of the way are really hard to deal with and lighting strike hits more creatures than magma jet and I think we are fine with taking one more mana to cast it for the versatility. Ive found that I need another disdainful stroke for the temur decks. That matchup is fucking horrible and im tired of losing to stormbreath dragon. Banishing light is in my sideboard for hornets nest/polukranos and perilous vault.

Return to “Archives”