Mono Red Scrumper

Discussions about the Standard format

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:19 pm

This is what I've settled on:

[Deck]
Creatures 22
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 War-Name Aspirant
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge

Spells 17
1 Hall of Triumph
4 Titan's Strength
4 Lightning Strike
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames

Land 21
21 Mountain

Sideboard 15
3 Ashcloud Phoenix
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Mountain
2 Eidolon of the Great Revel
2 Arc Lightning
4 Magma Spray
[/deck]

That sideboard is a fucking pile :/
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:42 am

Built the first version of the deck today and while I didn't play it at FNM, it was pretty impressive in the games I played against Junk and Mono-black agro.

4 Swiftspear
4 Firedrinker
4 War-Name
4 Rabblemaster
4 Phoenix

4 Strike
4 Jet
4 Stoke
2 Arc Lightning

And some random numbers of other cards with 22 mountains. Didn't play titan's strength, didn't miss it. Experimented with a bunch of different cards in random numbers hence I don't remember exact details. I know there was 1 jeering instigator in the list and it was pretty awesome. Phoenix was amazing. Like, Amazing. I'd probably play some combination of hall, sarkhan, Chandra, and dragon main. Will post a real deck later instead of just a list of cards that I like.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:29 pm

I let my friend borrow my deck running this list. It went 5-1:

[deck]
Creatures
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Foundry-Street Denizen
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Goblin Rabblemaster

Spells
1 Hall of Triumph
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Lightning Strike
3 Coordinated Assault
4 Titan's Strength
4 Hammerhand

Lands
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Mana Confluence
1 Forest
13 Mountains

Sideboard
4 Destructive Revelry
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Searing Blood
2 Arc Lightning
3 Eidolon of the Great Revel
2 Harness by Force
[/deck]

The green splash for Revelry was an experiment, even though the sideboard was thrown together last minute. We figured the meta was going to run DEEP with Rams and Coursers, which was right. I wanted to test a white splash with Chain and Erase, but he won the coin toss.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:12 pm

I went undefeated last night.

R1 Mono Green Devo: 2-0

R2 Mono Green Devo: 2-1

R3 Mardu Butcher Aggro: 2-1

R4 Mono Red Heroic: 2-1

R5 BUG Villainous Wealth: 2-0

My deck felt unbeatable. For the first time, I felt like I had the best deck in the room. Even in the 3 games I dropped, I was literally 1 turn away from winning.

I'm going to be including Circle of Flame for the mirror. I literally just discovered this card, and I suggest you guys pay attention because it completely nullifies Rabblemaster and pretty much the whole deck, except for Phoenix.

Notes from last night:

- Aspirant and Phoenix were just unbelievable. They were the only reasons I beat Mono Green Devotion.

- Arc Lightning is still fucking bonkers. The look on my Mono Red Heroic opponent's face when I zapped his team was priceless.

- I still can't believe WotC
printed Rablemaster. That card was responsible for at least 3 wins on its own, as well as enabling wins in other games.

- I lived the dream last night by landing Purphoros and followed up with Hordeling Outburst for 6 damage. Next turn I used Purph to pump my army FTW.

- Hordeling Outburst is my new favorite card. Not only does it trigger Denizen, but also Swiftie! It's absurdly powerful.

- 4 Magma Spray is essential right now.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:40 pm

I went undefeated last night.

My deck felt unbeatable. For the first time, I felt like I had the best deck in the room. Even in the 3 games I dropped, I was literally 1 turn away from winning.
Congrats, 'spawn!

Let's see your current main/side lineup knowing what you know now.

When do you bring in Chandra/Eidolon/Phoenix?

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:43 pm

Khaos I used your red deck in out gauntlet last night, I was 4-1 beating esper, mono b, mono b aggro, and uwr burn but also my loss was to the burn deck. It felt really solid. I REALLY enjoyed all the lines of play the deck presents.

-Outburst is such an awesome card, I love how it helps enables a stoke to clear a blocker on t3 if need be.

-Titans Str and Swiftspear is a POWERFUL interaction, one I would like to play for a long time.

-I got to live the purph into outburst dream once, it felt nice. I also really enjoy ashckoud interaction with it.

+ Games I lost were due to stumbles on land, I wonder if I can find room for one more **Now I see why you had 2 mountains in the SB.

+ Master of Feast is hard to deal with

yurp yurp

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:03 pm

Hall was also REALLY good for me. Wouldn't mind one more

yurp yurp

Shivan Token
Newcomer

Postby Shivan Token » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:34 pm

@ Khaos: Since I was often a victim of overtime work, I can really understand your irritation.
That said, I really like your list, very solid, seems finalized.
I'm an Hammer of Purp enthusiast, since I've been cursed with a manaflood -aura, but your deck does not need it I believe. I realize there may be too tension to play hammer and phoenix together also, and phoenix seems more cohesive to your game plan.

@LP Titan's strenght seems strong against early opposition. How do you managed to overthrown Junk?

@tbuzzsaw your list has me convinced too. Nice catch on enchantment hate splash!
I'm interested in brewing something with akroan crusader and I'm comparing various solutions.
The key question is: what is the minimum quantity of enablers for a playset of Akroan Crusader? I've some doubts about going all in with enablers.
Akroan Crusader is at its best against midrange and aggro.
I favour Hammerhand over
Horde Ambusher, totally.
Since you have not personally played the deck I'll refrain to ask questions. Would be interesting an analysis on Hammerhand versus Coordinated Assault. The latter need to be sided out against aforementioned brickwalls for enchantment removal? +1 seems too little against toughness 5+ guys.

BUT I note that Coordinated Assault EOT + 2 Akroan Crusader on the field = Raise the Alarm on colour for one mana and a nice Jingle Bells moment.

Next week I'll receive the needed cards and will attend FNM (if job permits)

For now, it seems that many red variants are equally viable.

Question for all: Eidolon is for control, I suppose (?)

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:23 pm

My sideboard was literally slapped together in a few minutes with a dash of "Fuck it!" thrown in for good measure.

Eidolon is actually for little aggro, if you can believe that. Both Mono Black and Heroic style-Red decks are so all-in with 1-3 cost spells that they'll often take a bunch of damage trying to kill you. I brought Eidolon in against my R4 opponent and he took 6 damage from Eidolon triggers before I was forced to block with him.

Chandra pretty much came in during every matchup. I'm almost tempted to maindeck her, but Purphoros is just so much better in Game 1. Chandra and (her new) Phoenix were the reasons I were able to beat Mono Green. Well, them and Magma Spray. People are still greedy as fuck these days, keeping 1 land + 1 dork hands. XD

@Purp - I know what you mean about Hall. I'm tempted to shove another in,
but Hall is already a terrible draw when you're behind. I'll be sticking with one, but it's a helluva trump versus other Red decks.

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:26 pm

I went went 5-1 at the win a box tournament last night, splitting for 1st. The store owner makes everyone play it out even if you split :shrug:

[deck]My Little Red Scrumper[/deck]

Round 1 vs Mardu Control (2-1)
Had mana issues the first round but still almost won on the back of hammer. Game 2 was a shut out and game 3 went long. Phoenix wasn't too hot
here because of seemingly 10,000 exile effects he had.

Round 2 vs Sultai Control (2-0)
He had mana issues the first game and the second game I had them. Phoenix was an all star here. I drew 2 and played around bile blight by casting it for its morph. I flipped it when I went for the kill. Kiora ended up being a bitch this game by "locking" down my bird for awhile.

Round 3 vs BG Dredge Stuff (2-0)
It seems like this guy ported over his dredge deck from last season. These games were pretty open and shut. I killed him game 1 before he played a single spell. Game 2 he played a couple cards and then I blew him out.

Round 4 vs Jeskai Control/Burn/Combo Thing (2-0)
I have no clue what this was. I won handily though.

Round 5 vs Abzan Aggro? (2-0)
I think this was an Abzan aggro/discard list, but I thought it was Abzan midrange at first. Game 1 I curved out and overwhelmed the board with swiftspear/removal/rabblemaster/removal. Game 2, my opponent went a Despite/Brain Maggot game plan,
but ultimately lost because he couldn't deal with the bird. He was pissed that he gave his RabbleRed sideboard to his buddy and didn't have it for me.

Round 6 vs Rabblered (0-2)
I got trounced hard, even post sideboard. He went first and had the initiative from there. 1 drop -> War-Name -> Hordeling Outburst -> Goblin Rabblemaster is a bit too much to handle. I barely drew any of my removal but even if I traded with every creature he had, the little bits and pieces of damage he got me. He showed me his deck list afterward.

[deck]Rabble Red[/deck]

It's pretty close to My Little Red Scrumper. He main boarded searing blood because he thought everyone would be playing red aggro lists. I thought everyone
would be playing Caryatid/Courser decks. We both guessed the meta wrong but ended up in the finals anyway.

Thoughts on the list
- Monastery Swiftspear is one hell of a card, especially in multiples with a burn spell or two. There were several times I had 2 out and a couple burn spells in hand, burn 2, burn 3, swing for 6, game?
- Kiora can be a bitch for this list. This deck doesn't really go wide, but has one or two threats that it rides to game. Sure, rabblemaster makes tokens but I rarely had more than 1 or 2 if I was at parity or behind in a game.
- The list seems soft to other, more aggressive red decks. It could be that I didn't draw well enough, but it didn't keep up with my opponent's red list. Hordeling Outburst is hard to deal with even with 4 Arc Lightning in the side. I'll need to test this out more.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:48 pm

What does everyone think of Scouring Sands against token-themed strategies? Circle of Flame is another one, but Sands triggers Prowess.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:12 pm

It's no Electrickery, but might be a good sideboard card anyway. Circle trigger Prowess as well...

Then there's Barrage of Boulders, but it's 3CC and the Ferocious bonus might be hard to get.
Sig by NBW

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:17 pm

Playing you're list today at gpt. Took eidolon out of my board for searing blood and i cut a spray for harness.

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:22 pm

Make us proud, LP!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:40 pm

Watching a Mono Red Scrumper match on SCG vs CVM's Junk deck. Dude even has the "go big" plan for his board. I wonder if he's a lurker here.

Edit: Ugh, he brought in Eidolon against a deck with Seige Rhinos. Bad form. :no2:

Edit: Wow. Harness by Force is a fucking superstar. :jam:

Kyarie
Newcomer

Postby Kyarie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:11 pm

Wow! Hella timing on that harness by force... :smileup:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:12 pm

That match just convinced me to jam 2 in the board. :rofl:

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:40 pm

:scrump:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:43 pm

oh scrumper, my scrumper!

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:45 pm

Scrump by Force

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:46 am

That was brutal.

Meanwhile this round 9 match is the definition of scrump.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:02 am

That was brutal.

Meanwhile this round 9 match is the definition of scrump.
Yeah, it was. That Jeskai dude pissed away that game.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:58 am

There was only 1 Mono Red deck in the top 32 at SCG Jersey. 9th place.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdat ... ckID=73385

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Played Khaos's pile of a deck to top 8 with the only changes being to the board which was 1 harness and 2 searing blood over eidolons and a magma spray.

Went 4-1-1 in swiss and lost in top 8 to the mirror. Played against mirror twice, mono-black agro, jeskai ascendancy combo, mardu agro, jeskai midrange and the draw vs. Green devotion to lock up top 8. Lost to ascendancy combo(he drew caryatids in all the games he won) and mirror in top 8 in which I mulled to 5 in both losses.

Titan's strength was FUCKING AWEFUL. Like, in round six when I drew with green devotion to make top 8, we played a bunch of games to playtest and titan's strength was good there, but every other matchup it was super mediocre and was boarded out in every game.

Actually, in all my matches except against jeskai decks, I was boarding in 14 cards. Don't think that necessarily means that my SB deck is probably just better...but my sb deck might
be better.

Hordeling outburst was insane. Denzien was whatever, titan's strength should just be magma jet, and I could seriously see a second hall in the board being awesome.

Deck is also structurally flawed. Basically the curve is god awful after board, or at least it feels that way. Probably still fine since all your expensive cards minus horde are very powerful.

Aggro mirrors felt like my bitch. arc trail's just unfair. Outburst is unfair EXCEPT vs. Prophetic flamespeaker which laughed me out of top 8 with it's hammerhand and dragon mantle.

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:19 pm

I think anyone's sideboard might be better than what I brought Friday lol

Good job, LP

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:20 pm

Titan's Strength is specifically for Mono Green

It is lackluster everywhere else

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:23 pm

Changes to the maindeck we're gonna make are probably -3 titan's strength, -1 denizen, -1 strike, +4 jet, +1 Chandra.

Board is up in the air, but -1 Chandra frees up a spot and I want to play more 2 drops in the board, either eidolons or phyrexian revokers.

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:24 pm

I can get behind that.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Strike seems immovable now after Mantis Rider won SCG.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Playing this deck the other day really made me miss Ash Zealot.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Strike seems immovable now after Mantis Rider won SCG.
Yeah, I wouldn't cut the Lightning Strike at all.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:26 pm

LP, how did Purphoros treat you?

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:28 pm

I only see Purp in SB, are we talking about different decks?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:29 pm

I only see Purp in SB, are we talking about different decks?
He brought my deck which is at the top of this page.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Ok this one. I was thinking about DerViles (he has them in SB).

Also need info about both Purphoros and Ashcloud Phoenix.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:31 pm

Ashcloud is really good. Like, super good. I want to move some back into the main if possible.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:32 pm

And Purphoros is pretty solid. He synergizes well and provides late game value for your one drops. He allows you to really just spread sideways and then end the game with his pump ability.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:37 pm

I had similar theory, like you need to hear info from battlefield. No local standard tournaments in my city other than maybe 3 round standard (everyone is playing limitec)
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:56 pm

Purph was aweful for the tourney since I was racing every round and had to board it out in the majority of the games, but in a more open field, he's awesome.

His pump ability saves me from boarding trash like trumpets blast(may still board it cause...scrump).

Ashcloud is dope as fuck. There's a different deck I could build that's bigger, but at that point, you have to start asking if devotion red is better. You don't have to though because Phoenix is fine in all non-combo archetypes and matchups.

Patrick chapin

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:00 pm

[deck]Ashcloud Red[/deck]

Eh?
Last edited by Valdarith on Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Return to “Mountain (Standard)”