Mono Red Scrumper

Discussions about the Standard format

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Khaospawn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:41 am

LP played the Dos Equis guy. No doubt about it.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:42 am

I don't always play Red, but when I do, I bring both my girlfriends with me to watch me win.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:06 am

LP, where are you at with this?

Played tempo tonight, and it was fun, but if people prepare for it (3 people played it at my LGS tonight, thus a lot of hate...aka bow of nylea) it can be a stressful grind fest. Considering this for tcg states for the sake of hoping to get lucky.
Seems fine. Tested a Mardu tokens build today inspired by a friends deck and by our discovery that Anthems are insane in this format. Will post in Mardu thread tonight or tomorrow.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:48 am

LP, where are you at with this?

Played tempo tonight, and it was fun, but if people prepare for it (3 people played it at my LGS tonight, thus a lot of hate...aka bow of nylea) it can be a stressful grind fest. Considering this for tcg states for the sake of hoping to get lucky.
Seems fine. Tested a Mardu tokens build today inspired by a friends deck and by our discovery that Anthems are insane in this format. Will post in Mardu thread tonight or tomorrow.
Yup between Spear of Heliod, Dictate of Heliod, Hall of Triumph (limited use thou as not every token share colors) as a permanent anthems, Purphoros and Sorin, and quite good token generators: RtA, Outburst, Rabblemaster, Brimaz, Mardu Charm that doubles as a removal.

Will be looking for it in the evening.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:49 am

I don't always play Red, but when I do, I bring both my girlfriends with me to watch me win.
Both? You mean you only have two? C'mon man, you need to break out of that shell.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:34 pm

After spending a few hours playing against Ross Miriam's G/b Devotion list, I've ended up here:

[deck]
Creatures 24
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Monastery Swiftspear
3 Foundry Street Denizen
3 Borderland Marauder
3 War-Name Aspirant
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Ashcloud Phoenix
1 Purphoros, God of the Forge

Spells 15
3 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
3 Hordeling Outburst
1 Hall of Triumph
4 Stoke the Flames

Land 21
21 Mountain
[/deck]

Doomwake is.....fuck, man. That thing sucks. Especially when the deck gets its nutdraw.

The deck still looks like a pile, but early pressure is essential with a capital E. Killing mana dorks is especially important. LP is right: the deck needs Magma Jet for early kill and to smooth draws. Also, I've concluded (again, LP is right) that Titan's Strength is really good when it's good and bad when it's bad. I don't really want swings like that, and Magma Jet is always Magma Jet so it gets the nod over the pump spell.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:38 pm

Any sideboard thoughts for it?

I'm most likely to go with a Mono Red Scrumper deck for GP Stockholm. Unless I find a decent Rw deck...
Sig by NBW

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:43 pm

I'm HIGHLY recommending the second hall of triumph.

I'd just cut all the aspirants for borderland marauder, hall, and denizen cause I really hate that card. Spoiler alert: I wasn't a fan of stormblood berserker(still played it) and that card was infinitely better).

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:55 pm

I didn't do any sideboarding for the games, but I'll probably slap one together before i go to GP Orlando.

@LP - Aspirant is quickly falling into the Titan's Strength category as well, but I'm not ready to give up on him quite yet. However, if the Doomwake deck picks up, then I have no choice but to cut him since I can't always guarantee the 3/2 buff. At least Marauder is somewhat able to live and always provide a 3 power towards attacking.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:56 pm

2nd Hall seems almost necessary too, but when I was playing with 2, I kept drawing the 2nd when I desperately needed anything but.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:00 pm

Fuck, I'll make it fit in there somehow....even if I have to spit on it.

:unibrow:

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:15 am

'K'spawn, that list is real similar to what I came up with after removing the fetches from my early attempt a couple pages back. I have Aspirant in the SB and upped the count of Purph and the Bird compared to your list. SB needs a little work but it'll do for FNM. I'm curious to hear how you do.

[deck]Ashy Purphoros[/deck]

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:34 am

You can squeeze by on 3-4 four-drops on 21 land, but 5 four-drops is really pushing it. Maybe cut back on a Magma Jet?

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:25 am

Think maybe cut a Stoke - they don't do much good if you don't have the creatures to tap. Complete speculation on my part, but I'm thinking that the Jet provides (in addition to some cheap early damage) draw fixing which will allow you to better set up a token engine, which will then allow Stoke to do it's 4-chunk business more reliably and efficiently. But without the engine to power convoke, the mana/damage ratio of Stoke just isn't as good.

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:35 am

I know this is the Mono red thread, but what improvements are possible if we splash white? I could see Seeker of the Way and Ride Down in the deck. Maybe not the Seeker since we'll need more white sources to reliably cast him turn 2.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:57 am

You would have to weigh any incremental advantages from exchanging splash-color cards against the consistency and tempo hit you would take from CIPT mana sources.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:42 am

Light white splash, please rip it apart:

[deck]Lands (22)
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Temple of Triumph
14 Mountain

Creatures (23)
4 Monastery Swiftspear
3 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Borderland Marauder
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Ashcloud Phoenix
1 Iroas, God of Victory

Spells (15)
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Lightning Strike
3 Chained to the Rocks
3 Hordeling Outburst
1 Hall of Triumph

Sideboard
1 Hall of Triumph *
2 Harness by Force *
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Banishing Light
1 Iroas, God of Victory
1 Mountain
1 Ashcloud Phoenix
3 Arc Lightning *
2 Magma Spray *
[/deck]

- White splash for CttR and Iroas. BL in sideboard, maybe Ride Down
- Temples instead of Mana Confluence for budget scrump reasons, but scry helps because no Magma Jet.
- Sideboard is a pile, but * marked ones I really want there.
Sig by NBW

pikachufan2164
Newcomer

Postby pikachufan2164 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:28 am

Did some testing with this list tonight:

[deck]Mono-Red Scrumper[/deck]

Played against Bw Aggro and Naya Midrange.

vs. Bw Aggro

A fairly favourable match-up for me, as I had burn spells to kill his creatures before I stabilized. Post-board games gave me Magma Sprays for Bloodsoaked Champion, as well as Arc Lightning and Chandra to take advantage of their X/1 creatures.

Boarding: -4 Firedrinker, -4 Denizen, -1 Swiftspear, +4 Magma Spray, +3 Arc Lightning, +2 Chandra

2-0

vs. Naya Midrange

The dreaded midrange match-up. Fighting through Caryatids, Coursers, and lifegain is tough. Their main threats were Goblin Rabblemaster, Polukranos, World Eater, Stormbreath Dragon, and Xenagos, the Reveler. Post-board games were a nightmare, as Circle of Flame showed up (in multiples!) to prevent me from attacking. Boarded in Hornet Nest made it even more difficult to attack into.

Aspirant was often useless post-board because I removed most of my 1-drops. However, I may be boarding incorrectly here. Perhaps, I should be boarding out Jets and Outbursts for the "go big" package, so that I can still apply enough early pressure for the boarded-in cards to seal the deal.

Boarding: -4 Firedrinker, -4 Denizen, +3 Phoenix, +2 Harness, +2 Chandra, +1 Hall

(Perhaps this should be -4 Jet, -4 Outburst, +3 Phoenix, +2 Harness, +2 Chandra, +1 Hall)

2-2 (I won 2 post-board games and lost 1 post-board game)

Additional Thoughts:
  • Circle of Flame is a very real threat to this deck. If your opponent plays it early, and you don't have Purphoros or Phoenix, you just lose. It may be time for a light white splash to play Erase, Banishing Light, or Iroas, God of Victory to overcome it.
  • War-Name Aspirant becomes much less powerful when you board out 1-drops (for example, when playing as the control in aggro match-ups, or when not trying to go under midrange match-ups). Borderland Marauder may be better in non-Caryatid/Ram cases. Maybe even Generator Servant if you're on the "go big" plan.
  • Midrange match-ups bring a decision point also seen in PyroRed: do we board out small creatures, or utility spells in order to bring in swingy cards like Harness by Force?

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:37 pm

May I respectfully request that we move non-mono-red lists to their own sub-thread? Otherwise we're going to get pulled entirely off of the original thread topic - Mono Red Scrumper

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:06 pm

A valid point. I can start a Rw thread later today, since I'm a bit interested in that.
Sig by NBW

Shivan Token
Newcomer

Postby Shivan Token » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:38 pm

As I was suspecting, tomorrow I'll have to work as my LGS deals Standard, no FNM for me this week.
I'll keep on brewing & theorycrafting since i'll be free like a bird as Gameday come. And I'll start with monored.
Doomwake is.....fuck, man. That thing sucks.
I'm somewhat tempted to shove a 3-of Hall of Triumph. (But I'm brewing to include some "safety valve" against too much HoTness). I'm totally for adding the second Hall. If you are really scared to draw 2 Hall, what about the M15 Paragon as an anthem on legs? I don't like it, but at least is not Legendary.
At which turn the GB player usually brings the Giant in play?
Think maybe cut a Stoke - they don't do much good if you don't have the creatures to tap
Seems a good idea, but prob it depends on the meta? In a midrange-infested area I would not leave home without the full set of Stoke.
I would really like to ask you about the Revoker. How it has performed? Against what decks you side it in? As a 2-of could work, in your opinion? I'm really thinking about playing a pair maindeck: it would be a mistake? (you know, messin' with opponents walker is always funny)
[*]Midrange match-ups bring a decision point also seen in PyroRed: do we board out small creatures, or utility spells in order to bring in swingy cards like Harness by Force?[/list]
What kind of lifegain you faced in the Naya Midrange match??
This is a really interesting question. I will try to answer:

If we board out our small dudes, we have less aggro going for capitalizing on the absence of the blocker. But midrange players are actively trying to get a turn 2 (insert fatty ass here) so our little dudes are somewhat less useful in this Matchup. BUT our spells also are less useful since: the best targets for burn spells are the dorks or the opponent; the little gobliiins from Outbust are too slow but still could "get through" and support a Denizen _ IF they can profitably attack.
Also, I'm not sure of the exact lists of midrange decks, so only time and experience can tell, but I really think we should keep as much Magma Jet as possible, because they will NEVER be a dead card.
Also, I would keep as much Outburst as possible, because I want the best chance to go Purp --> Outburst --> triple shock
I see more than one answers:
--> I'm sure they will play Circle of flame --> i would go -4 firedinker, - 4 denizen, - 1 aspirant, (+2 Hall of Triumph)
--> I don't know what they will side --> i would go -2 Firedrinker, -3 denizen, -2 magma jet, -1 outburst, -1 aspirant.. (+2 hall of triumph).

Anyway, same as above: I'm totally for a second Hall of Triumph in the deck, and you guys have me craving for the third
Question for all those who play Anger of the Gods in the side: it is really needed? I have now 3 in my SB for when I want to take control role in aggressive MU. How has performed? Would you continue to keep them? What would you prefer between Anger and Arc Lightning?

Testing notes:
- i really want to test a pair of fated conflagrations, still don't know if main or side

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:55 am

Think maybe cut a Stoke - they don't do much good if you don't have the creatures to tap
Seems a good idea, but prob it depends on the meta? In a midrange-infested area I would not leave home without the full set of Stoke.
I would really like to ask you about the Revoker. How it has performed? Against what decks you side it in? As a 2-of could work, in your opinion? I'm really thinking about playing a pair maindeck: it would be a mistake? (you know, messin' with opponents walker is always funny)
Revoker is a catch-all there for an unknown meta in the infancy of a new standard season. It's a wrench to throw in the works of decks with lots of mana sink creatures or planeswalkers, or cards with wonky activated abilities that you thought no one would play but someone did anyway. Best way to use it is just as removal bait, but in an aggro deck like this their removal may be a scarce resource. I would imagine that as the season goes on and the meta becomes more developed and predictable, this card will probably drop out and be replaced by something more targeted.

Maindeck? I dunno... I think it would only come in against decks that have shown they are using multiple key cards with activated abilities, especially if they don't have a crap-ton of cheap removal. Otherwise I think you would be better off maindecking less situation-specific more proactive cards.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:15 am

Here's something for LP to chastise me about. I'm going to bring this for the Standard side events at GP Orlando tomorrow.

[deck]
Creatures 22
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Monastery Swiftspear
3 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Borderland Marauder
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Ashcloud Phoenix

Spells 17
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames
1 Hall of Triumph

Land 21
21 Mountain

Sideboard 15
2 Stormbreath Dragon
1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Mountain
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Harness by Force
2 Circle of Flame
2 Arc Lightning
3 Magma Spray
[/deck]

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:19 am

UGGGGGH.

That's all I got. You're deck basically looks a bit too greedy between main and side. Also, sarkhan is WAY better then stormbreath. Especially in a boarding situation where they aren't expecting your denizen deck to have it post board.

Lastly, I actually found tha tI like the 4th denizen once I added it back to the deck for whatever that's worth.

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:27 am

I only have 1 Sarkhan :(

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:28 am

I almost want to take greedy as a compliment

Go big or go home

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:29 am

The 3 denizen are straight swaps for Spray postboard

pikachufan2164
Newcomer

Postby pikachufan2164 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:51 am

What kind of lifegain you faced in the Naya Midrange match??
This is a really interesting question. I will try to answer:

If we board out our small dudes, we have less aggro going for capitalizing on the absence of the blocker. But midrange players are actively trying to get a turn 2 (insert fatty ass here) so our little dudes are somewhat less useful in this Matchup. BUT our spells also are less useful since: the best targets for burn spells are the dorks or the opponent; the little gobliiins from Outbust are too slow but still could "get through" and support a Denizen _ IF they can profitably attack.
Also, I'm not sure of the exact lists of midrange decks, so only time and experience can tell, but I really think we should keep as much Magma Jet as possible, because they will NEVER be a dead card.
Also, I would keep as much Outburst as possible, because I want the best chance to go Purp --> Outburst --> triple shock
I see more than one answers:
--> I'm sure they will play Circle of flame --> i would go -4 firedinker, - 4 denizen, - 1 aspirant, (+2 Hall of Triumph)
--> I don't know what they will side --> i would go -2 Firedrinker, -3 denizen, -2 magma jet, -1 outburst, -1 aspirant.. (+2 hall of triumph).

Anyway, same as above: I'm totally for a second Hall of Triumph in the deck, and you guys have me craving for the third
It was just incidental lifegain from Courser triggers, but that does make a big difference when Circle of Flame roadblocks you hard already. If they had Sheep, then it gets even tougher.

Fated Conflagration should be a sideboard card. Stoke is generally better to have in the main deck: it takes care of most creature threats, with the possibility of costing fewer than 4 mana, and can also go to the face.

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:54 am

I'm thinking about running something like this tomorrow.

[deck=Look Mommy! My Red Little Scrumper Is Getting Bigger!]
Creatures (22)
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Borderland Marauder
4 Mogis's Warhound
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Prophetic Flamespeaker
4 Ashcloud Phoenix

Spells (16)
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames

Land (22)
21 Mountain
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

Sideboard (15)
4 Arc Lightning
2 Hammer of Purphoros
4 Magma Spray
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
2 Stormbreath Dragon
[/deck]

Thought Process:
I'm basing this loosely on the PyroRed strategy from the last rotation where we only ran 4 1 drops. I chose Firedrinker Satyr because by himself he can fight through Sylvan Caryatids. I love Monastery Swiftspear, but without Titan's Strength, she can't beat a turn 2 Sylvan Caryatid. In my mind, Monastery Swiftspear and Titan's Strength are a pair.

With fewer 1 drops, I decided to drop War-Name Aspirant in favor of Borderland Marauder. The Marauder can't kill a Goblin Rabblemaster on defense, but she does fight through Caryatids. The new addition is Mogis's Warhound. It's not really a 2 drop, but a 3 drop bestow. In my last tournament, Goblin Rabblemaster or even a 1 drop with a bestowed Warhound was very hard to deal with.

No Denizen to back up the Hordeling Outburst. I really hate that it's a 1/1 on its own. I could be completely wrong on this. I'm mainly playing it as a red not-as-good spectral procession. I'm iffy on this, but this card single handily blew me out last weak. I'm totally willing to -1 Outburst for +1 Hall of Triumph.

Flamespeaker is there to get big, deal damage, and pseudo draw cards. Also he's the number 1 bestow target for the Warhound.

Sideboard is a bunch of anti-red cards, transformational sideboard plan vs midrange decks, with Purphoros and his hammer for longer, grindier control match ups. That hammer wins me games I have no business winning.

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:18 am

Took the deck to FNM for a 3-1 finish. Overall I'm not as happy with this version as I was the one I took to the win a box tournament. Thoughts on the changes:

Hordeling Outburst is awesome. I liked playing it every time I did.

Mogis's Warhound + Prophetic Flamespeaker were mediocre. I think the problem with this version of the deck was that I was essentially rocking 14 3 drops. Most of my early turns were mountain, nothing, mountain, nothing. The overall power increase was only so-so as well. I hated not bestowing a warhound and Flamespeaker had me feeling conflicted. I'm debating on what to do with the remaining 6 slots. Do I go back to Swiftspear + Titan's Strength? Or maybe bite the bullet and go Foundry Street Denizen with some other card.

Borderland Marauder was all right. A little more consistent but no built in evasion. Not sure what to make of that.

I still love P-Daddy and his Bling Hammer in the side for control match ups. Those two cards create such a hard to handle board state.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Inspired by the sheer joy emanating from this thread I've been playing Standard for the first time in months with Scrumper Red and having a LOT of fun with it :) This may be LONG so I've spoilered it for ease of reading/ignoring bits of little interest :D

I started here with Todd Anderson's list. Yes, I know but I liked the way it played on the vids :)
TA's Scrumper Red
[deck=TA's Scrumper Red]
Creature(25)
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Monastery Swiftspear
3 War-Name Aspirant
4 Mogis's Warhound
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Horde Ambusher

Pumps (9)
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Titan's Strength
1 Hall Of Triumph

Burn (6)
2 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames

Land(20)
20 Mountain

Sideboard(15)
4 Magma Spray
4 Searing Blood
2 Eidolon Of The Great Revel
2 Barrage Of Boulders
2 Ashcloud Phoenix
1 Harness by Force[/deck]
After my first dozen or so games I swapped Dragon Mantle for Hammerhand and Horde Ambusher for Lightning Strike 3 & 4 :dance:
First tweaks reasoning
- I've always found DM underwhelming; I am in all probablity not playing it optimally and haste, +1/+1 and falter just seemed much better value
-Horde Ambusher's falter ability was proving really useful but with 4 falter effects now in the deck I dropped him for more BURN :flame: and upped the Lightning Strike's to 4 :)
Overall I'm still happy with this switch - the deck is more explosive, and the extra BURN :flame: allows me to push more damage through and gives the deck more reach :)
After another dozen or so games I dropped Akroan Crusader for Borderland Marauder and a [card]Mogis's Warhound[/card] for the 4th War-Name Aspirant
Second tweaks reasoning
- Akroan Crusader was just underperforming, especially in the mid-range match ups. I'm still testing Borderland Marauder but I like the extra toughness and that it goes through the silly green wall :smileup:
-[card]Mogis's Warhound[/card] is very good, surprisingly so but the 'must attack' can be a pain especially in the mid range match ups where War-Name Aspirant can make a big difference coming out of the blocks.
I'm happy with the changes so far, both switches seem to have improved the mid range match ups slightly without too much loss of speed, if any :)

Looking forward I'm not 100% on the Hall Of Triumph - it's amazing on occasion, a terrible top deck but mostly just doesn't get drawn :)

I also 'should' try Purphoros, God of the Forgeand Hordeling Outburst but I'm going to stick with the list as is for now :)
I've reworked the SB from game to game and I'm still not happy with it :argh:
SB Tweaks
- I :love: Eidolon Of The Great Revel but I don't think he's really very good here, despite how much I want him to be so he's gone :)
- I :love: Searing Blood but the deck just doesn't seem to need the extra reach and my dreams of smashing through stupid green horse things with it never happen so I've dropped it :)
- Same with Ashcloud Phoenix. So far the card has been crap :)
- I never drew Barrage Of Boulders
- After being totally destroyed in the mirror by Circle Of Flame I really couldn't justify not putting them in. 2 seems ok, I'd run 3 if the meta was mirror/aggro heavy.
- Arc Lightning is excellent Vs aggro/mirror and decent against silly mid range decks too. 2-4 seems correct. I'm starting with 4 so I maximise my chances of drawing it. Should most likely be a 2/2 split with Magma Spray EDIT - as I knowc this I'm going to change it now :)
- Harness By Force is EPIC, 2 seems ok, I could see 3 depending on the meta.
- I'd :love: to try going big :D but Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker is like 30 tix so he can wait for bit :) In the meantime I'll try my old favourite Stormbreath Dragon :D
All of that brings us to here and the glory that is my current Scrumper Red

[deck=LaZer's Scrumper Red]
Creature(23)
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Borderland Marauder
4 War-Name Aspirant
3 Mogis's Warhound
4 Goblin Rabblemaster

Pumps (9)
4 Hammerhand
4 Titan's Strength
1 Hall Of Triumph

Burn (8)
4 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames

Land(20)
20 Mountain

Sideboard(15)
2 Arc Lightning
2 Magma Spray
2 Circle Of Flame
2 Harness by Force
3 Mountain
3 Stormbreath Dragon
1 Chandra, Pyromaster[/deck]

EDIT Early impressions are that 23 land can be a bit hazardous - floods are not where this deck needs to be. May have to consider Magma Jet. In true scrumping fashion I'm also losing at least 50% of the games I lose to myself due to mistakes in sequencing! Duh! :D
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:29 pm

Good post Lazerburn, I like the creature curve you've got going. I might steal a little of that myself. Be sure to post how Hammerhand is working for you. I can see what you're going for, but I'm skeptical about it.

I was thinking about something like this in the main:

[deck]
Creatures (23)
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Borderland Marauder
4 War-Name Aspirant
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Ashcloud Phoenix

Spells (15)
4 Titan's Strength
3 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames

Land (22)
21 Mountain
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
[/deck]

I like having 16 creatures 2 CMC and below. It gives a good shot at developing enough pressure to punish anyone who putters on lands. Which is proving to be critical for this archetype.

I had to cut Hordeling Outburst, something I'd rather not do. I also took Ashcloud Phoenix down to 3 because I found multiple copies aren't as useful because the card is so mana intensive. The bird plan requires 6 open mana a turn to go off on. 3 might still be too many for most match ups, but I'll need to test more.

I'm conflicted on Magma Jet vs Hordeling Outburst. Jet is pretty weak by itself, but it lets Swiftspears kill Coursers and helps set up my draws. Outburst applies so much pressure and it combos with Stoke the Flames so well. It's easy to cast both cards in a single turn and completely throw a game into your favor on turn 3 or 4.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:26 am

Here's something for LP to chastise me about. I'm going to bring this for the Standard side events at GP Orlando tomorrow.

[deck]
Creatures 22
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Monastery Swiftspear
3 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Borderland Marauder
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Ashcloud Phoenix

Spells 17
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames
1 Hall of Triumph

Land 21
21 Mountain

Sideboard 15
2 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Mountain
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Harness by Force
2 Circle of Flame
2 Arc Lightning
3 Magma Spray
[/deck]
So, did you try it out?
Sig by NBW

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:10 pm

I might steal a little of that myself. Be sure to post how Hammerhand is working for you. I can see what you're going for, but I'm skeptical about it.
Thankyou DerWiller! :thumbsup: While I much preferred Hammerhand to Dragon Mantle after reading your post I swapped it out for Magma Jet to see what I thought - I am delighted with the switch :) I should remember whenever I build a deck to always run at least 12 Burn spells :jam:

With the added reach and removal offered by Magma Jet [card]Mogis's Warhound[/card] and [card]Titan's Strength[/card] are now under review. I want to get a few more games in to see how the meta is before making any more switches though. I'll keep you posted :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:01 pm

[deck]
Creatures 22
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Monastery Swiftspear
3 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Borderland Marauder
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Ashcloud Phoenix

Spells 17
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames
1 Hall of Triumph

Land 21
21 Mountain

Sideboard 15
2 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Mountain
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Harness by Force
2 Circle of Flame
2 Arc Lightning
3 Magma Spray
[/deck]
So, did you try it out?
No, I did not. I spent the 2 days grinding win-a-boxes with Modern instead since my buddy Aaron was grinding Standard win-a-boxes. The Modern competition was too soft and I couldn't pass it up.

However, the big Standard decks out there are definitely Green Devotion/ramp, Junk Midrange, Jeskai Tempo, Mardu Midrange, Rabble Red, and Mono Black Aggro. In that order.

Yesterday, I almost decided to jump into Standard, but when I saw the large percentage of Green and Junk, I change back to an earlier build with Titan's Strength.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:23 am

Don't think anyone posted this in here yet:

[deck]Ishiguro Tetsuya[/deck]

This is about at Scrumper as it gets, as far as I can tell. 3rd/4th at some JP tournament.

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:58 pm

I approve. :P

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:48 am

Does midrange count as scrumpy?

[deck]Mono-Red Midrange[/deck]

I dunno, I just came up with it within ten minutes so it probably has a lot of problems.

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:42 pm

It's a big scrumper but still hairy and smelly like any good scrumper should be.

I can't comment on the deck much since I'm not experienced in building and running that sort of build. My initial thought is that you might be a little too top heavy (4, 5, and 6 drops) without any card draw engines to find your win cons in a timely manner. Hordeling Outburst might be useful to buy time and combo with Purphoros, but that too could just be bad.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Does midrange count as scrumpy?

[deck]Mono-Red Midrange[/deck]

I dunno, I just came up with it within ten minutes so it probably has a lot of problems.
I definitely like the idea of it, but you're going to get slaughtered in the early turns of the game.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Return to “Mountain (Standard)”