Allied Fetches reprints: Effects on the Market?

Discussions about the secondary market for Magic Cards. What's Hot? What has fallen from grace?

Moderator: Thrillho

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Allied Fetches reprints: Effects on the Market?

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:24 pm

So, we have had the big news about the allied fetches reprints in Khans of Tharkir, I was wondering we could discuss the effects on the Magical cards Market?

Specifically:

- Where willl the Onslaught Fetches prices settle? The New version ones?
- What will be the effect on the Zendikar Fetches?
- Will this affect other eternal card staples prices?

Discuss!
Originally posted by Galspanic on MTGS
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:04 am

It's a big set, so we can expect a ton of these to flood the market. The fact that Modern needs them will keep the price from dropping too much however. It's actually really hard to predict where the new versions will wind up.

Old ones I expect to remain at their price if not increase.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:22 am

Old ones will decrease, if else because many people will want to upgrade allied fetches to the new cardface.

Hell in Magiccardmarket you can already get near mint Onslaught fetches between 18€ (Bloodstained Mire) and 24€ (Polluted Delta)
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:36 am

Wait no, Onslaught Bloodstained Mires now start at 15€, 18£ was this morning.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:09 am

Really? here everyone wants old card face for pimp factor

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:20 am

Well it might just be panic selling to recoup your losses, you never know, but the Onslaught fetches already tok a huge hit in the EU, and that is coming from someone who totally agrees with you on the old cardface.

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:10 am

People panicked about the price dropping, so they started selling, effectively causing the price to drop? I can agree with that theory. :yes:
That explains why people keep coming over for chicken nuggets

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:37 pm

I anticipate these new fetches will settle down to $10-12 a couple of months after release. Like RTR and Theros, this will be the most opened set in Magic history, and the market is going to be flooded with these cards. The only thing that could change this is if there is no other real value in the set. If the other rares and mythics in the set are underwhelming, it could be a disincentive for shops and casuals to crack boxes for value.

Zen fetches will see a significant decrease (and already have) for a couple of reasons. One is that a lot of modern decks are playing off-color fetches and can just as easily replace them with the new fetches. For instance, I play two Misty Rainforest in my UR Delver deck, but someone wanting to get in modern and play the deck can simply swap the Misty for one of the blue fetches in KTK. This will reduce the demand on the Zen fetches. The second reason is aprehension in the market for the
possibility that the Zen fetches will be reprinted in the third set in Khans block. This is a completely reasonable fear given what we've been told about the structure of the block (time travel perhaps changing the plane) as well as WOTC's recent policy on wanting to provide a 10-land cycle in each block.

While Zen fetches will certainly lose their value, the overall prices of decks will not. The value should move away from the mana base and into the staples like Snapcaster Mage, Cryptic Command, Noble Heirarch, etc due to increased interest in the format. If you've been on the fence about buying in to these staples, now is your time to commit.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:37 pm

Old fetches will decrease in value but will remain more expensive then the new ones (see shocklands, I believe old Ravnica ones are a solid ten dollars or so more)

Over time, I feel they will be around $20-$30 ish

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:45 pm

The old ones will stick around $20-$25 during their Standard season, while the new will hover around $10 (some more, some less). After rotation (and a very minor dip in price), they'll go up until eternity ends.
҉

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Flooded Strand and Delta will probably be closer to $40 off legacy alone

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:01 pm

Their use in Modern fucks this up a bit. Whereas shocks were always in Modern and just needed a reprint to lower the cost of entry, Modern players need allied fetches just as much as Standard players. For this reason they might take longer to drop to 8-12 dollars and maybe hang around 15-20 longer than anybody would like.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:21 pm

Their use in Legacy is a significant factor as well.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:24 pm

Legacy players for the most part have them already

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:00 am

This is true, but it is nevertheless a barrier of entry into Legacy (just not as big as Modern due to ABUR duals). The reprint could give an incentive to the same people getting into Modern to look into Legacy, albeit at a much lower rate.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:25 pm

Their use in Modern fucks this up a bit. Whereas shocks were always in Modern and just needed a reprint to lower the cost of entry, Modern players need allied fetches just as much as Standard players. For this reason they might take longer to drop to 8-12 dollars and maybe hang around 15-20 longer than anybody would like.
This was my first thought as well, but then I remembered the new PTQ format. With no Modern Season and local shops dictating which format to feature for PTQQs, will Modern see the level of play it has been over the last year or so? If not, that will alleviate the price for these a bit.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:43 pm

I can't see them going under $20 honestly. They're way too relevant in way too many formats. Old border will remain mostly unchanged, probably a slight decrease but not by much.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:34 pm

The bad zendikar fetches will be almost worthless now (comparatively), while generally all of the prices across the board will level off a little and then climb because they are fetchlands and are staples of all formats they're legal in.

Buy lots of these if you don't have them. Buy lots of these if you do have them. Hold onto any and all extras. Seal away foil copies for when they are out of print again.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:11 pm

They're now necessary in modern as well, so they're not just a barrier of entry to Legacy anymore.
This has the mixed effect of deflating their price overall in the short term but having a larger audience of people who effectively need them in the long term.

I also forgot to mention in the last post that Bloodstain Mire should gain more traction as an additional Jund fetchland, and as an additional "cheap" fetch for Burn. It is definitely not the worst fetchland anymore.

Wrathberry
Newcomer

Postby Wrathberry » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:13 pm

if the zendicar fetches get reprinted in dragons, they will drop to around 10€ a piece, like the onslaught fetches.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:02 pm

Last time I checked on MKM, They were more like between 11€ and 20€, with Bloodstained Mire at the lowest and Polluted Delta at the highest

Wrathberry
Newcomer

Postby Wrathberry » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:28 pm

bloodstained mire is around 9€. and flooded strand and delta as the two highest are at around 13€. so ~10€ is about right :D

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Wait, what? Even a banged-up ONS Polluted Delta goes for 15€, what MagicCardMarket are you taking your info from?

https://www.magiccardmarket.eu/Products ... uted+Delta

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:35 pm

Zendikar fetches will likely fall lower than ONS fetches. Zendikar was at the time the most opened set in Magic history but that's before Modern existed and made fetchlands a staple of every deck. Couple that with 2/5 of the fetches in the cycle existing in the bottom tier of color combinations and you have the makings of a fairly tanked price.
Obviously this means acquire all you can for when they rise again. There's just going to be a long time where you will be able to get apoc pain lands for more than the cost of a zendikar fetchland.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:36 pm

I am speaking strictly about reprint values. The usual dips in original copy prices will be seen as well.

Return to “Market Street Café”