What's your Pick?

Subforum for the Limited environment

Moderator: imopen2

Christen
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

What's your Pick?

Postby Christen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:41 am

I thought maybe I'd start a topic where we discuss picks when drafting. I buy booster packs now and then, so to get some value out of it, our team discusses what our picks are.

So let me start, I have this M15 booster pack here.

[deck]
Commons
1 Crowd's Favor
1 Midnight Guard
1 Research Assistant
1 Vineweft
1 Covenant of Blood
1 Borderland Marauder
1 Oreskos Swiftclaw
1 Encrust
1 Torch Fiend
1 Ornithopter

Uncommons
1 Ulcerate
1 Staff of the Death Magus
1 Stoke the Flames

Rares
1 Avacyn, Guardian Angel
[/deck]

So we get a bomb rare right off the bat. We are committing heavily into white if we go that route though. Luckily, it seems we aren't passing signals that white is open. Red however has Stoke the Flames, which is premium removal. Black has Ulcerate as well. You may also want your left to go to white since if you don't pick Avacyn, he or she will most likely pick it. So
for me, the big question is whether to commit to white and pick Avacyn, then maybe hope for Midnight Guard or Oreskos Swiftclaw to wheel, or to pick Stoke the Flames.

I believe that I'd pick Stoke the Flames in this scenario. It can kill Avacyn, can actually be cost for less than 4, and you're more likely to force your left to commit to white. Also, Borderland Marauder and Crowd's Favor are good cards should they wheel. Ulcerate is good by the way, I just like the option to hit the player and end games.

Now say, this is your second pack and Stoke the Flames was taken. I'm sure I'd pick Avacyn here since a 5/4 for 5 with Flying and Vigilance is good enough in my book. The other abilities are just gravy.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:42 am

Avacyn is the pick, you're overthinking things if you choose something else p1p1.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:29 pm

If there v was a triplicate spirits was in the pack, you could maybe take stoke as fighting over colors becomes a real concern, but as is, Avacyn is a bomb that wins the game by itself.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:17 am

I realize it's a bomb, maybe it's just because I'm less than likely to commit to colors early game. I need to draft more.

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Hey, it's a crack-a-pack!

I'll give my pick priority.

Avacyn > Stoke the Flames > Ulcerate > Covenant of Blood > Borderland Marauder > Midnight Guard > Encrust > Research Assistant > Oreskos Swiftclaw > Torch Fiend

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:16 am

I cracked another pack. I'm having a bit of trouble drafting Khans.

Anyway:
[deck]Pack 1 Pick 1[/deck]

Talk about a removal pack. P1P1 is no doubt Icy Blast as that has "win the game" stamped on it. How about P1P2 though? I'm partial to Burn Away and Become Immense. I can probably hope to let Bring Low wheel and take Burn Away immediately? Or if you are crazy, take Wind-Scarred Crag. Force Away and Kill Shot isn't probably wheeling, so you'd be sending those signals.

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:14 pm

If it were pick 1, Icy Blast. I think it's the best card in the pack.

If it were pick 2, my debate is between Burn Away, Bring Low, Kill Shot, and Wind-Scarred Crag. I'm partial to Kill Shot as it's a cheap answer to everything that's trying to kill me. I like Wind-Scarred Crag as a pick because I think stable mana is a very real advantage in this format. The burn spells are awesome. Burn Away is probably better because delve is powerful.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:21 pm

You've been a help
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Return to “Tranquil Cove (Limited - Sealed and Draft)”