Rx Burn

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:02 pm

I suppose some GY hate should be in there too. Maybe I'll cut a Claw and a Blood for 2 Relics.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:38 pm

If Affinity, Pod, and Twin are big, play Heal's deck with the maindeck Shrine, Molten Rains, Fanatic, etc. The sideboard is fantastic IMO.
My modern friends tell me thats what they usually run into at modern events so thats all I can really base it on.

Still, its less just slinging burn at their dome so thats nice.

Not sure if Fanatic is worth it but its so hard to do anything but just pick up a list when I dont know the format at all.
Burn baby burn!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:41 pm

I love the Fanatic. It's hard for people with no experience with him to fully understand his power. He really does make certain match ups easier. Gut Shot with legs has his uses.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:30 pm

Gut Shot with legs has his uses.
Why has it never been described as this before? I just had a total epiphany about this card!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:03 pm

I mentioned it once in a post in the RDW thread. LP has also echoed this statement afterwards. :)

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:54 pm

I see 4 Pyrite Spellbomb in Heal's sideboard.

As a person who never has played with this card...whats so special about it? Whys it in the sideboard?
Burn baby burn!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 pm

I see 4 Pyrite Spellbomb in Heal's sideboard.

As a person who never has played with this card...whats so special about it? Whys it in the sideboard?
It kills Etched Champion, Kor Firewalker. Burrenton Forge-Tender, Auriok Champion, etc. Basically all the protection from Red guys. It's also a replacement sometimes for Searing Blaze versus creatureless decks (like pure control) or when you simply need additional creature removal (like against Affinity or Zoo).

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:29 pm

Ahh, that makes sense.

So torn on what to bring to the GP. Rcwraspy was wicked nice and lent me anything I would need for the deck.

I like the idea of Heal's deck and how it has more creatures and is a little more grindy but I dont know if grindy is really where I want to be when I don't know dick about the format. Maybe I should just throw spells to the dome.
Burn baby burn!

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Being so new to modern, my first question is why Mono Red is so good when the mana in the format is really good?

Black and White could be decent additions for some additional burn.
Since were a low curve deck running 18-20 lands, if you push the color base your forced into taking those three self inflicted damage turns rather often - couple that with T.Edge, Ghost Quarters, Spreading Sea, Karn, Moon, F.Mage and you'll find yourself lock in a fair portion of games.
If Affinity, Pod, and Twin are big, play Heal's deck with the maindeck Shrine, Molten Rains, Fanatic, etc. The
sideboard is fantastic IMO.
Based on my experiences playing Heal's RDW (I admit I didn't play it much), Closed experiences (he was in all the same events I was in (running Heal's deck) except he only finish twice and dropped 3 times) + the online database I can tell you that the list isn't preforming well.

The reason being is that it runs many dead cards in key MUs like UWr, GBx and Pod (yes, pod is a hard MU without lifegain denial esp. the version with Spike Feeder, Finx, Angels and Oozes) which is why I think Heal upgraded his deck too include 6 lifegain denial spells.

That said it does have an EXCELLENT Twin and Affinity MU.
If I can't get around to playing Modern tonight at the LGS, I'm seriously contemplating buying this list and jumping into some Modern games online :

[Deck]
Creatures 12
4 Goblin Guide
n4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

Burn 28
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Shard Volley
4 Lava Spike
4 Searing Blaze
4 Skullcrack
4 Flames of the Bloodhand

Land 20
20 Mountain

Sideboard 15
3x Smash to Smithereens
3x Dragon's Claw
3x Dismember
3x Searing Blood
3x Molten Rain
[/deck]
I'm quite sure this list would do well online (though you'll miss the fetches vs Ux and UWx decks) and it would be dead cheap as well :D GO MOGG!!!!!

I think I may run something like it because Mogg fits very well with the all cards do something plan and it helps vs Twin and Robots :smileup:

- - - - - - -
Last Time
My first event running Modern R Burn :)

ME (8-Man) Report 7304532

G1 Modern R Burn vs Junk ME 7304532
G2 Modern R Burn vs UWr Control ME 7304532
G3 Split
My First: Modern Daily Event Report 7299651: With R Burn
G1 Modern R Burn vs Restore Balance
G2 Modern R Burn vs Kiki Pod
G3+G4 Modern R Burn vs Twins

Warning rant

Its kinda annoying posting things on Sally and getting zero subs for the effort.

Rant End

P.S. I'm not sure if the Robot SB plan I posted earlier is correct (I did win my last game with them but I changed up the plan for M3).
Last edited by magicdownunder on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:35 am

Man it feels like impossible to tell what the meta is going to be at a 2,700 person event...

Thanks for the input MDU, I wish I had something to add but for now I am purely learning!
Burn baby burn!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:01 am

I was able to get to the LGS, but Modern didn't fire. Sad face. I should've just played in the 7pm Modern event online since I already bought the deck (only $40 since I already owned Guides :D). It wasn't a total bust tonight though - I got to experience Cube draft for the first time, playing a G/B deck. I feel dirty now.

I'm off work tomorrow and I'll start trying to get the hang of playing Mtgo. I've only ever played 3 games, but I guess the best way to learn is t just jump in and do it...

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:10 am

Thinking of trying this tomorrow:

[deck]
Creatures 16
4 Goblin Guide
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Hellspark Elemental

Burn 25
2 Forked Bolt
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Lava Spike
1 Shard Volley
4 Searing Blaze
4 Skullcrack
2 Flames of the Blood Hand

Land 19
1 Keldon Megaliths
18 Mountain
[/deck]

Budget Heal list...or not? Can't run the Lava Men without fetches, but I think I like the Mogg Fanatic more anyway. Hellspark more or less replaces Vexing Devil with the potential for more damage. I shaved the 20th land since I curve out at only 2 3CMC spells and was able to fit in a Shard Volley.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:48 am

I'm actually really liking the idea of combing Hock's and Heal's list too get around the weaknesses of both decks, I wanted too try:

[deck=MDU's Mesh]Lands 20
11 Mountain
08 Fetch
01 Keldon Megaliths

Spells 27
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Searing Blaze
4 Skullcrack
2 Forked Bolt
2 Shard Volley
3 Flames of the Blood Hand

Creatures 13
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer
2 Mogg Fanatic

Sideboard 15
4 Molten Rain
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Dragon's Claw
2 Dismember
2 Smash to Smithereens
1 Volcanic Fallout
1 Flames of the Blood Hand
1 Shattering Spree[/deck]

Not sure if the damage output is high enough too race Tron or Scapeshift hence the 4x LD (delay) and 2x Smash (delay).

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:28 am

Well I'm currently 2-0 in this daily event but I forgot to hit the record button in the most hilarious game ever :tears:
Well this picture of the final moments should be enough to explain what happen
EDIT: Yeah, another 4-0 - so far [mana]G[/mana] has done me zero favors though I do enjoy the security it provides.
Last edited by magicdownunder on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:35 am

I like the list MDU - seems like the pool is strong enough now to allow for a meta-tuned R deck to work :)

Devil for racing Tron and Scapeshift?
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:37 am

I like the list MDU - seems like the pool is strong enough now to allow for a meta-tuned R deck to work :)
This is pretty much it - the only problem is that beside our own local meta or online we're going in blind so no matter which way we swing the deck we'll going to have a few holes (the key will be picking which are the most acceptable holes).
Devil for racing Tron and Scapeshift?
But Devil is bad vs UWr and GBx

...but he is also really good vs Twin, Scapeshift and Tron :gonk:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:21 pm

Lazer beat me to it- Devil is how you race Scapeshift and Tron. Buuuuuut that Hellspark Elemental looks like he can get the job done just fine. I base this on no current testing though, just my experience from years ago when he was in Standard.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:00 pm

Ya know what? This has too be the best creature base for an open meta:

Creatures 12-16
4 Goblin Guide
2-4 Mogg Fanatic
2-4 Hellspark Elemental

Well done Khaospawn, the more I look at it the more flawless and awesome it seems :yes:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:08 pm

I'll know more for sure once I can get some games in.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:16 pm

Don't forgot its not just the creatures, its how you use them :yes:

Will you be recording?

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:29 pm

Don't forgot its not just the creatures, its how you use them :yes:

Will you be recording?
No, unfortunately. My laptop is too primitive to handle OBS apparently, which is the entire reason I abandoned playing MTGO in the first place last year. I dived into MTGO last summer with the sole intention of streaming so that I could get some critique about how I play. I rebought my Standard deck at the time - Mutavaults, Hellriders, YP$, Chandra's Phoenix, etc. When I realized that my video card didn't meet the OBS requirements, I became discouraged. It wasn't until recently that I've found reasons to play online - my lack of vehicle right now has made it
harder and harder to attend paper games, and diehard Red Mages, such as yourself and Lazerburn, are fighting the good fight in Modern and it makes me hungry to play. I also have more time on my hands since I gave up drinking.

TL;DR- No. My computer sucks.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Although, now that I think about it, isn't there a way I can save replays and then add some commentary over it? Sure, I'll lose some spontaneity with what I'll be saying and my reactions won't be as strong (Ex - you probably won't hear me exclaim: "What the fuck is this shit?" and random stuff like "I just saw 2 big, fat, naked bikers having sex in the woods. That's not golf!"), but I could still use that as a tool for critique.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Not with v4 sadly... :tears: apparently you can still watch your own games but I have no idea how the client decides which games are worth saving or not (it seems random) - back in the v3 days you could just re-watch games from anyone after the event finish for at least 4-6 hours, they remove this feature in v4 along with event chat and ratings.

In regards with filming, I use to use Camstudio before OBS - that should also work for you, though you'll suffer from stupidly large video sizes and possible lag (Frap works as well but I think its worst then camstudio).

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Thanks, MDU.

What do you think of the Firedancer in the board with this deck? It was in the Heal v2.0 sideboard.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:28 pm

Its odd... esp. with Heal's list because it seem like he is BEGGING for a Orzhov Pontiff or Electrolyze blowout because he is ALREADY running Grim :sweat:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:33 pm

Would they keep those in in Games 2/3 against a Burn deck? Honest question.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Would they keep those in in Games 2/3 against a Burn deck? Honest question.
Electrolyze definitely, Orzhov Pontiff I think will depend on what they see but the Pod decks which I fought kept it in.

- - - - - - - - - -

P.S. I think its possible too improve things but when I used to use FRAPS and Camstudio way back when - recording would be like 8+ gigs (not even joking), so if your are going to try it make use to get a trial first or something.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:05 pm

I think the Firedancer is brought in against Affinity. If the majority of the people take Pontiff out in Pod, then I'd like to think it's a safe bet. It's still a gamble, but a safe bet nonetheless. I can't imagine Firedancer would be all that useful against Twin in the first place.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 pm

I think the Firedancer is brought in against Affinity. If the majority of the people take Pontiff out in Pod, then I'd like to think it's a safe bet. It's still a gamble, but a safe bet nonetheless. I can't imagine Firedancer would be all that useful against Twin in the first place.
I don't understand why you'll believe the majority would board out Pontiff, esp. if the Opp. is playing Grim lavamancer.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:30 pm

Fuck if I know. I think I misread what you wrote earlier about it.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:31 pm

Stop sounding so confusing with you superior language skillz! :P

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Hocking is playing in the same daily I am. Maybe I'll get to play him? Mwahahahaha

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:27 pm

I beat Storm. I hear maindeck Eidolon is pretty good...

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:37 pm

I went 2-2

Storm: W 2-1
RUG Delver: L 1-2 (flooded like crazy game 2 ((I saw 9 lands)) and was stuck on 1 land the entirety of game 3. I got the guy to 6 and was holding double Skullcrack)
Little Zoo: W 2-0
R/G Tron: L 2-1 (I was stuck on 1 land again in Game 2 while he landed a Karn. In Game 3 I was forced to mulligan to 5 with 3 lands. I drew some more lands and he landed a Spellskite and then a Karn. I got him to 2 life before he exiled my 3rd land, which kept me from casting the topdecked Molten Rain ftw.

Crazy variance? I dunno. I do know that my sideboard needs some work. Dragon's Claw and Eidolon were my MVP's today.

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:24 pm

@MDU - I watched your modern videos, they were interesting. I like how well your deck is doing, but I have a question. In several of the videos you've said, "I'm playing my fetch land first because I don't want it to be countered." What are you talking about? Aren't fetch lands' fetch an activated ability? Or are you talking about your opponent responding the fetch and doing something while you have your pants down?

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:29 pm

There is the Shadow of Doubt blowout ....

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:52 pm

@MDU - I watched your modern videos, they were interesting. I like how well your deck is doing, but I have a question. In several of the videos you've said, "I'm playing my fetch land first because I don't want it to be countered." What are you talking about? Aren't fetch lands' fetch an activated ability? Or are you talking about your opponent responding the fetch and doing something while you have your pants down?
The fetch can be countered via Shadow of Doubt or flashed Leonin Arbiter with Aether Vial(its a horrible feeling....), which is why I like fetching early though that leaves opening too Spreading Sea
or missing Landfall triggers for Searing Blaze :sweat:

@ Khaospawn: Can you post your 75 and plan? 2-2 is a very respectful score for your first online DE in god knows how long (darn about R2 and R4 :tears:).
Last edited by magicdownunder on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:52 am

Thanks for the kind words, MDU. This was actually my first ever DE. I'd only ever played 3 games on MTGO before this and that was a year ago on the Beta.

Here's the 75:

[deck]
Creatures 16
4 Goblin Guide
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Hellspark Elemental

Burn 25
2 Forked Bolt
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Searing Blaze
4 Skullcrack
2 Flames of the Blood Hand
1 Shard Volley

Land 19
1 Keldon Megaliths
18 Mountain

Sideboard
1 Shattering Spree
2 Smash to Smithereens
2 Molten Rain
2 Dismemeber
4 Pyrite Spellbomb
2 Dragon's Claw
2 Shrine of Burning Rage
[/deck]

Storm: -4 Searing Blaze, +2 Dragon's Claw, +2 Pyrite Spellbomb

*I would've preferred to have Relic of Progenitus instead of having to resort to playing Spellbomb

RUG Delver: I actually thought I was up against Splinter Twin because I beat him so
fast Game 1.

-4 Skullcrack, -2 Flames of the Bloodhand, +2 Dismember, +4 Spellbomb (yeah, yeah, I went the Spellbomb route... :p )

In Game 2 I saw Tarmogoyfs, YP$, a Batterskull and Spellskites. Ew.

-4 Spellbomb, +2 Smash to Smithereens, +2 Skullcrack

None of this matters, as I kept a 1-land, double Guide, double Dismember hand and proceed to lose.

Lil Zoo: -2 Flames, -4 Skullcrack, +2 Dragon's Claw, +4 Spellbomb

R/G Tron: -4 Searing Blaze, +2 Smash to Smithereens, +1 Shattering Spree, +1 Shrine of Burning Rage

I tried to keep most of my boarding simple. A few notes:

*I was very pleased with Mogg Fanatic. Being able to chump, sac, ping, and stop lifelink was HUGE (as it always it) when facing a Wurmcoil. Also, I killed Delvers and YP$ as if I was playing with Gut Shot.

*Hellspark is a beautiful card when playing with Eidolon. Not triggering the
shock ability on the flashback is a given, but when you have ole Sparky in the GY, opponents start playing differently. And by differently, I mean badly.

* I used the Megaliths exactly once. And this was before Karn exiled it. :cry:

* I can't decide if I want 1 more land in the deck or not. I actually used the Shard Volley to finish someone off. Had that been a land, I can't say if I would've won or not.

* My draws have been very unforgiving. I drew a lot of 1 land openers. I usually never drew another land until a few turns later (and this was where Mogg Fanatic was doing work) or not at all. On the other hand, when I flooded, I mean I flooded. I'm not one to whine about drawing 2-3 lands in a row. I'm talking 5 in a row one game and 6 in another. The game that I drew 5 in a row, the game ended with 9 Mountains on the table. I'm not complaining, but this is an observation. Is is normally like this on
MTGO?

* I sorta liked not playing with fetches. The games I won against Zoo were because I wasn't damaging myself with fetches.

* I think I either want more Molten Rains in the deck or I'm just going to go with Blood Moon if I stick with a 2-count.

* I'm pretty sure I'll be yanking 2 Spellbombs for 2 Relics.

I'm not pleased with the sideboard. It's almost an amalgamation of both of Heal's sideboard. I just don't the right mix yet and I also don't know the metagame entirely yet. In paper, Heal's old deck and sideboard has been dominating my local meta. Online is a completely different beast. I knew this to be true beforehand, but now that I've "swam with the sharks," it's been cemented in my brain now.

Anyways, I'm tired now. I'm definitely excited to tweak the deck further and dive back in. I'll need a way to grind out some tickets too in case I don't cash in the next 2 DEs. I don't want to have to resort to buying tix...

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:23 am

I agree on most of your SB choices, esp. the Spellbomb route vs "twins" :D

Though +1 Shattering Spree (SiS is good because its an instant) and +1 Shrine of Burning Rage (slow? + they bring in artifact/enchantment hate (cause it gains them life and hits hate)) seem odd vs Rg - I would just go with Molten rain for that MU.
Last Time
[deck=MDU's Modern Rg Burn]Land 19
10 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
1 Stomping Ground

Spells 33
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Flames of the Blood Hand
4 Skullcrack
4 Searing Blaze
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Shard Volley

Creatures 14
4 Goblin Guide
4 Hellspark Elemental
2 Spark Elemental

Sideboard 15
2 Shattering Spree
2 Molten Rain
2 Dragon's Claw
2 Combust
2 Relic
of Progenitus
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Destructive Revelry
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Destructive Revelry
1 Back to Nature[/deck]

Sideboard Plan Link

My first event running Modern R Burn :)

ME (8-Man) Report 7304532
G1 Modern R Burn vs Junk ME 7304532
G2 Modern R Burn vs UWr Control ME 7304532
G3 Split

My First: Modern Daily Event Report 7299651: With R Burn

G1 Modern R Burn vs Restore Balance

G2 Modern R Burn vs Kiki Pod
G3+G4 Modern R Burn vs Twins

Modern Daily Event Report 7299657
G1 Recording Error
G2 Modern R Burn vs Junk DE 7299657
G3 Modern R Burn vs Junk DE 7299657
G4 Modern R Burn vs UWr Kiki Control DE 7299657

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:51 am

Modo will probably feel initially different because the shuffler is likely truly random which makes it feel higher variance.

I used to play a lot on cockatrice so I imagine it's the same feels. It's not that you're getting more or less unlucky, it's just that the clumps are less evenly distributed because random doesn't care if 20% is 1 in 5, it cares that it's twenty percent so you may whiff on your second land in 4 straight games then hit a perfect curve the next 16 instead of a spread distribution.

I learned stuff like this when I played GBA games and started getting japanese roms from the super famicom era. The Amerian games RNG would actually role 2 RNs so that your above 50 hit rates where inflated and your below 50 rates where deflated. In the old original japanese games, they just used the 1 RN so you got killed on a lot of 16% more so then felt natural and vice versa with missing on 94s.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Return to “Aggro”