Rx Burn

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:21 am

@dpaine88: I'm glad the list is working for you as well ;-)

Leyline of Sanctity in UWr??? :suicide:

@Khaospawn: Qualifying point are used each season too win special promo cards (this month is promo geist :kappa: ) and enter MOCS events (except MOCS have been down since MOCS11 last year, we have been getting MOCS appreciation events though for 35 QP).

15 QP = MOCS:Q + Special promo cards
35 QP = MOCS (and for now appreciation events as well)

Try too avoid farming Modern 8-Man's unless you need QP because the payout isn't worth it - though if your have tickets to burn its good practice.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:27 am

QP are also used for Magic Online Player of the Year Standings which has four DtR members sitting in top200

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:29 am

tickets to burn
What you did there, I see it.

I played in the latest 8-man because I can't stay up any later - otherwise, I would've played in the 7pm DE.

Great advice though. I'll probably play in a DE tomorrow after work. :)
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:03 am

Guys, unless i'm missing something important i don't think mogg fanatic is good at all in burn. Your main strategy is to deal 20 to the face , and fanatic is too slow for this.
You shouldn't aim to control the board in burn, and even if sometimes that fanatic shoots down some nasty creature that needs to be killed, he could have been a shock, or a burst lightning and it would have been the same. If you want cards against creatures main board you should look at searing blood and searing blaze (with fetches), or at least possible 2 for 1's like forked bolt or arc trail.
I get that fanatic is very good in RDW, because there you are looking to fight upon every point of damage, and fanatic can easily deal 1-2 damages then be sacrificed to kill some x/1. But here, in burn, speed is priority and fanatic is not what you should be looking at.
Correct me if i'm wrong, because i would like to know cases where he is better
than a burn spell.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:30 am

Guys, unless i'm missing something important i don't think mogg fanatic is good at all in burn. Your main strategy is to deal 20 to the face , and fanatic is too slow for this.
You shouldn't aim to control the board in burn, and even if sometimes that fanatic shoots down some nasty creature that needs to be killed, he could have been a shock, or a burst lightning and it would have been the same. If you want cards against creatures main board you should look at searing blood and searing blaze (with fetches), or at least possible 2 for 1's like forked bolt or arc trail.
I get that fanatic is very good in RDW, because there you are looking to fight upon every point of damage, and fanatic can easily deal 1-2 damages then be sacrificed to kill some x/1.
But here, in burn, speed is priority and fanatic is not what you should be looking at.
Correct me if i'm wrong, because i would like to know cases where he is better than a burn spell.
When your facing a creature based combo which will one-shot you unless you deal with it (Twins, Robots, Pod and Infect come into mind).

Its the same reason why we're running cards like Skullcrack, Molten Rain and Flames of the Blood Hand.

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:12 am

Well, another burn spell that can be pointed at creatures would be the same. In the twin scenario, they can counter your burn spell, but they can also kill your fanatic before comboing. I understand that some answers to creatures are needed, but i think that answers in burn must be efficient also in dealing damages to the face, so that they are not horrible cards when you just need to kill the opponent. Now i don't think mogg fanatic is horrible, but in my opinion he just doesn't do enough in a burn shell.... the optimal solution to deal with creatures is searing blaze+fetches, then searing blood, then if you don't have them in hand just throw a lightning bolt at the creature.... and i would probably look at burst lightning and flame javelin before mogg fanatic.

Skullcrack, flames, and molten rain are different stuff. The first two solve the major issue of burn (lifegain), while contributing efficiently to kill the
opponent.... molten rain is a sideboard card (usually) for matches in which blowing up a land usually results in a very big disadvantage for the deck you're facing.

I don't know, if fanatic works for you just play it ... to me it doesn't make the cut. (in this specific archetype, i repeat).

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:19 am

Trust me I can see where your coming from, I use too play RBw for the most efficient damage for mana-ratio possible - I would scoff at 3cc spells and 2cc creatures.

From that perspective I wouldn't play Mogg, nor would I even think about playing MonoR... MonoR or/and MonoR + Revelry is a slightly slower style of burn which improves consistency and provides tempo plays over the pure RBw speed.

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:25 am

So what is the perspective that justifies playing mogg fanatic or mono-red ? Are you doing this on purpose or are there budget concerns/other reasons ?

And i guess i should also thank all you guys for the always interesting discussions and fantastic videos, since I don't want to seem like i come here only to criticize XD if my posts ever sound arrogant or anything like that, remember that i'm italian and my english isn't perfect.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:28 am

On purpose, as a rank 19 grinder budget doesn't concern me (much, except I'm extremely stingy) since everything is free.

You play Mogg MD so you have a better G1 vs Twin, Pod and Robots mainly - sure burst lightning can do the job but I don't want too be holding onto 1 mana the entire game.

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:40 am

Ok , it seems fair after all. I guess i'm just stupid because i didn't realize you are already playing 4 searing blazes and 2 flame javelins main deck. Mogg fanatic vs burst lightning as an additional answer is close to me, but i can understand your point.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:51 am

Ugh dream crushed :-(

LLost game 3 to scapeshift when I kept a 2 land hand with flames on the draw . He cast Baloth turn 5 and I still hadn't drawn a land for Flames and basically lose.

Thrn mulled a bunch vs Rug Delver.

7-3 for 12th. Not bad for my first modern weekend but got unlucky not to top4.

Honestly, I hate this deck. So boring. Nothing like standard burn. Wasn't that fun to play. I miss the tempo.

After playing vs Delver it looks like just the Deck for me.
Burn baby burn!

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:07 am

Delver is solid :smileup:

Thanks for sharing your event with us Dan (surprisingly I think Delver play like Standard Burn (at least the YP$ version)).

I actually like Burn in Modern BECAUSE its mindless - its a nice break from standard.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:12 am

Thanks man, likewise to you for the deck list, awesome videos and sideboard guide that I wrote down and used allll weekend.
Burn baby burn!

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:14 am

Oh yeah, delver looked very similar to standard burn, which I love.

Love playing a good cheap threat and protecting it till Victory.
Burn baby burn!

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:12 am

:ugh: losing due too poor SB'ing always feels bad, but it burns extra deep when the loss comes from a pair down esp. when you were sitting 2nd in the standing.

That said - SB based losses provide critical information for the future so its still good :smileup: .

....I only hope is that my last game isn't vs leyline.deck

EDIT: Wow, the client just crapped out on me for over 7 minutes so I got the loss - just wow... round 4 as well with 1h+ long rounds.

I've requested 12 tickets compensation (which isn't very much) I hope I'll get it - I'll also send another one soon about the Revel + Walker Bug I encountered just so I can get more tickets (yes, money makes all problems go away).

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:01 am

@Goblin Warchief - Mogg Fanatic does a lot of work, especially when your opponents just ignore him. I've had him get in for about 3-4 most times.

@Dpaine - 12th place is still good. And I agree with you about it Delver - if you're a fan of Standard Boros Burn, you'll love UR Delver w/ YP$.

@MDU - Where do you take complaints or ask for compensation on MTGO?
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:11 am

When you login on the upper right hit the "help" tab then click on reimbursement - wizards are general quite good with it since they just toss money at any complaint (though you don't recover your rating dip (if you still had ratings) or the time wasted).

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:28 pm

Yeah, I guess it can be common to ignore mogg fanatic untili he has double lava spiked you :)

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:07 pm

OMG I fuckin love Delver and I havn't even played it....

Moving into my GF's apartment in 3 days(having a kid soon) and REALLY tempted to spend my security deposit ill get back on the Delver deck.

Looks so much fun after watching a few LSV videos.

Won't spam this thread though, I''ll be hanging out in Delver probably.

Thanks to Khaos and MDU for making my first Modern weekend a huge success!! You guys rock!
Burn baby burn!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:13 pm

Yeah, I guess it can be common to ignore mogg fanatic untili he has double lava spiked you :)
I won several games just by sacrificing him for that final point of damage. He also helps me do things like avoid lifelinkers and turns Searing Blood into a Blaze in my shitty fetchless deck.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:15 pm

OMG I fuckin love Delver and I havn't even played it....

Moving into my GF's apartment in 3 days(having a kid soon) and REALLY tempted to spend my security deposit ill get back on the Delver deck.

Looks so much fun after watching a few LSV videos.

Won't spam this thread though, I''ll be hanging out in Delver probably.

Thanks to Khaos and MDU for making my first Modern weekend a huge success!! You guys rock!
You'll find that Delver is pretty cheap if you already have access to the fetches.

Glad I could contribute to your success. :)

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:39 pm

Do not have fetches....was lent to me by another generous DTR member.

Maybe he will let me borrow them for TCG Modern States this weekend.
Burn baby burn!

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:55 pm

SO dpaine, why didn;t you like burn? I was thinking of jamming it this weekend for States.

Can you ship me list? Basically going to be my first modern event this weekend as well, MDU would you reccomend your burn or heal RDW?
Last edited by Purp on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yurp yurp

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:55 pm

Also, what do you guys think of this list Ari Lax posted today:

[deck]

Creatures (12)

4 Goblin Guide
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

Lands (20)

9 Mountain
4 Arid Mesa
3 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn

Spells (28)

4 Boros Charm
4 Flames of the Blood Hand
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Magma Jet
2 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt

Sideboard
3 War Priest of Thune
4 Searing Blaze
2 Searing Blood
3 Smash to Smithereens
3 Molten Rain

[/deck]

yurp yurp

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:37 pm

I think it needs Vexing Devil. But that's probably just me. I prefer to just race.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Also, Ari Lax list looks really soft to Twin. No good.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Personally, I want to see what Ralph Levy's Mono Red list looked like.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:25 pm

@Purp- there just isn't any play to it at all. You don't manage the board and tempo your opponent's like Standard burn. You just burn to the dome and hope you get there. Not fun to play at all.

I just wanted something that I could play with zero knowledge of the format. Clearly that worked as I went 7-0 at one point having to read every other card my opponent played. The deck is good, just not fun.

Never felt like I outplayed anyone at all.
Burn baby burn!

Kimbra
Newcomer

GP Boston

Postby Kimbra » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi all Red Mages!
Did you see the RDW with W and B splash undefeated at day 1 in GP Boston last weekend?
This is the decklist:

4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lava Spike
2 Shard Volley
2 Searing Blaze
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Marsh Flats
1 Blood Crypt
3 Mountain

SIDEBOARD:
2 Searing Blaze
3 Wear // Tear
2 Rakdos Charm
2 Combust
2 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Spellskite
1 Rain of Gore
1 Grafdigger's Cage

What do you think about? I tested it a little and it works fine, but I don't like the Sideboard (I'm not a fan of 1x cards in the SB because if side in a card I want to see it soon).
Bye!
"Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:48 pm

[deck]
Creatures
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer

Spells
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lava Spike
2 Shard Volley
2 Searing Blaze
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack

Lands
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Marsh Flats
1 Blood Crypt
3 Mountain

SIDEBOARD:
2 Searing Blaze
3 Wear // Tear
2 Rakdos Charm
2 Combust
2 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Spellskite
1 Rain of Gore
1 Grafdigger's Cage[/deck]

yurp yurp

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:01 pm

Personally, I want to see what Ralph Levy's Mono Red list looked like.
He made top 150 and has written an article on it for TCG Player :) And I found this "Levy commented that contrary to many people's conceptions his Burn deck is very difficult to pilot, with sideboard choices in the complex Modern format proving especially difficult"

Heal played too - he was 24th after R9, haven't found where he ended up yet or his list
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:26 pm

I will try to contribute something of worth before I bounce here for good.

I think Ari Lax is onto something by moving Searing Blaze.Blood to the sideboard.

It was pretty bad all weekend for me. Hands with 2 in the opener were kinda sketchy. Running 19 lands hurt the landfall a ton...

Also, I didnt run into many 3 toughness guys.

I'd strongly consider a black spalsh for Bump instead of Blaze.

Also not sure if I said this or not but god damn I nearly punched this dude in the face when I got my 3rd GP loss to the Mirror Match playing Leyline....fuck that shit.
Burn baby burn!

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:24 pm

this list won a ptq

[deck]
4 Goblin Guide
2 Hellspark Elemental
4 Eidolon of Great Revel
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Searing Blaze
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Helix
4 Skullcrack
2 Flames of the Blood Hand

4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
3 Sacred Foundry
1 Stomping Ground
8 Mountain

4 Ensnaring Bridge
3 Destructive Revelry
3 Smash to Smithereens
3 Molten Rain
2 Torpor Orb
[/deck]

yurp yurp

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:40 pm

Looks solid, playing burn is fine but since 20 made it through day1 during the last GP expect some hate - I recommend splashing either R or W.

In regard with 2, 3 or 4 colour burn vs mono burn, depends on your play preference if you want the best racing ability go with the tri-version (run Grim so you have a shot vs infect and robots) or if you don't mind playing a slower game but want your outs covered just run my Rg list.

I think the tri-version is MUCH better if your new too burn or the format (one version isn't better then the other I should add since they have different S/W).

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:48 pm

[deck]
Creatures
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer

Spells
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lava Spike
2 Shard Volley
2 Searing Blaze
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack

Lands
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Marsh Flats
1 Blood Crypt
3 Mountain

SIDEBOARD:
2 Searing Blaze
3 Wear // Tear
2 Rakdos Charm
2 Combust
2 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Spellskite
1 Rain of Gore
1 Grafdigger's Cage[/deck]
As someone who is new to the format, and will probably just run this exact list at States. Is the SBing strategy pretty cut and dry? I'll take a stab at in the morning.

Any veterans have any recommendations to tweak it?

yurp yurp

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:54 pm

That list is ok - you need to keep in mind burn in eternal formats are "7 card combo decks" over-boarding with non-aggressive spell = death.

2x Leyline of Sanctity is wrong though

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:58 pm

That list is ok - you need to keep in mind burn in eternal formats are "7 card combo decks" over-boarding with non-aggressive spell = death.

2x Leyline of Sanctity is wrong though
There's a lot about that sideboard that's wrong.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:02 pm

I think I can live with most of those choice - but dancing with the devil (leyline) is just wrong :argh:

In all seriousness if your going too run leylines you'll need to run 4, but if your running 4 you up potential dead draws - which isn't something you want.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:03 pm

Back to grind tonight.

After a lot of thought about my games yesterday, I've decided to move my Searing Bloods to the board and just run 2x Magma Jet and 2x Shard Volley so that this way ALL of my cards are live.

The evolution continues...

shittyfetchlessburn.dec
[deck]
Creatures 15
4 Goblin Guide
4 Eidolon of the great Revel
4 Vexing Devil
3 Mogg Fanatic

Spells 25
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Lava Spike
2 Shard Volley
2 Forked Bolt
2 Magma Jet
4 Skullcrack
3 Flames of the Blood Hand

Land 20
20 Mountain

Sideboard 15
3 Molten Rain
3 Combust
3 Smash to Smithereens
4 Satyr Firedancer
2 Searing Blood
[/deck]

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:04 pm

I think I can live with most of those choice - but dancing with the devil (leyline) is just wrong :argh:

In all seriousness if your going too run leylines you'll need to run 4, but if your running 4 you up potential dead draws - which isn't something you want.
Not running 3 Rakdos Charm should be a criminal offense.

Return to “Aggro”