Goblins!

Other developing decks

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Goblins!

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:44 pm

I figured I'd start this for all the Goblins players out there.

Here's what I'm currently playing around with:

[deck]Mono Red Goblins[/deck]

About Goblins!:
Goblins! is an aggressive, low-curve
creature deck that draws its might from powerful Tribal synergies, strength in overwhelming numbers, and access to powerful damage spells such Goblin Grenade and Lightning Bolt. Fully capable of a turn 4 kill, Goblins! is a fast-paced and consistent force that is hard-hitting, easy to learn, and budget-friendly.

Modern has hosted Goblins! since the format's inception, however, the deck didn't find solid footing until Gatecrash gave the deck Legion Loyalist and Foundry Street Denizen to play with, and by then it simply took the addition of Shared Animosity to push the little green men over the edge. Since then, dedicated pilots have endeavored to take the deck further by splashing [mana]B[/mana] for various sideboard options and Goblins with [mana]B[/mana] abilities.
And while the success of Goblins! has been limited to 4-0's and 3-1's of various MTGO's Daily Events thus far, there is still room to push the envelope further.

How to play Goblins! in 4 easy steps:

Step One: Play dudes.

Step Two: Turn dudes sideways.

Step Three: ???

Step Four: Profit!
Last edited by Khaospawn on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:44 pm

Reserved for stuff and things.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:57 pm

No shared animosity in your list? I haven't played Goblins in awhile in favor of Kiki-Jiki based decks but I ran at least 1 to 2. Also managed to sneak in Frenzied Goblin in my list.

Goblin Bushwacker is easily one of my favorite red cards.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:15 pm

I played with Shared Animosity for long time, however, I always felt like it was win-more. After playing with Nicholas Heal's RDW list, I've fallen completely head over heal's (see what I did there???) for Mogg Fanatic. The utility is so much more valuable than Shared Animosity, a card that won't always win you the game.

I've toyed around with Arsonist and Fanatic in the Shared Animosity slot and I'm not sure which one I like better. When Deathrite Shaman was around, I preferred the Arsonist because he was good for mindlessly attacking into the face of DRS. Plus, he could be sacrificed with a Grenade to kill something with 6 toughness sometimes. Right now, Affinity and Pod are two of the strongest decks and Fanatic seems to be better positioned against those 2. His sacrifice ability is also very useful for pulling tricks with blocking lifelinking creatures and delivering the final point of damage for a win.

nThere were times with Shared Animosity that I could never cast it since I was stuck on 2 mana. And even when I did get to 3 Mountains, my hand would sometimes get clogged with Chieftains and extra Animosities. The funny thing is, 1 Shared Animosity can win you the game, but 2 or 3 is just overkill. Or win-more. Having 17 one-drops, instead of 8 three-drops, in the deck certainly alleviates the headaches of being bottlenecked on mana.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:56 pm

Agreed and makes sense. I ended up going down to one Shared Animosity due to bottle necking but eventually dropped the deck all together because the local Modern meta, while still forming, had a large representation of UWR control which made creature strategies horrible.

How effective is Krenko's Command? I am assuming it is there just to create more creature density/threats. I believe in those spots along side dropping down to 1 Shared Animosity and shaving off the 4th Goblin Chieftain I ran a combination of Mogg Fanatic and Frenzied Goblin. Can't remember the numbers exactly but I believe it was 4 Mogg Fanatic 2 Frenzied Goblin.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Krenko's Command and/or Dragon Fodder is excellent. I pretty much count it as a creature spell. Not only does it create extra bodies to be used for attacking, blocking, Battalion triggers, Goblin Grenade sacrificing, but it also triggers your turn 1 Foundry Street Denizen twice. Of course, all of the extra bodies become even better with Goblin Chieftain, Bushwhacker, and Shared Animosity (if you so choose to run it). It also adds resiliency to the deck. If your board is wiped out from a Pyroclasm or something, it's pretty easy to rebuild a presence with a Command or two.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:09 pm

That is beautiful, NBW! Thank you! :hug:

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:21 pm

+1 for Spikeshot Elder. It's been my pet card since I built my first goblin deck.
Sig by NBW.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:43 pm

He's hilarious when he has any kind of buffs - Teets, Chieftain, Bushwhacker, Shared Animosity, etc.

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:20 pm

I've been playing goblins in modern for quite a long time now, and i win a lot more than i should with a deck like this. Sometimes i fall victim to flooding screwing, but most of the times opponents aren't prepared against me and i destroy everyone. Last saturday i won a 20 people event, beating jund, affinity, affinity, draw into top 8, then beat bg rock, uw control, and split the final against martyr life which i could never have beaten. If i had all the fetches (i just own 3 arid mesas for modern), i would probably play red deck wins or 3 color burn, but i'm starting to think goblins is on par if not better than burn. My current list is :

[deck]
4 Goblin Guide
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Goblin Grenade
4 Spike Jester
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Goblin Chieftain
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
1 Mogg Fanatic
1 Spikeshot Elder
1 Goblin King

4 Blood Crypt
Cavern of Souls
4 Auntie's Hovel
3 Arid Mesa
2 Blackcleave Cliffs
3 Mountain
1 Keldon Megaliths

[/deck]

Sideboard:
[deck]
4 Rakdos Charm
2 Blood Moon
2 Thoughtseize
2 Dismember
2 Shatterstorm
2 Shattering Spree
1 Rain of Gore[/deck]

I strongly advise splashing black. Essentially the splash is "free" because you have access to Auntie's Hovel, Cavern of Souls and Blackcleave Cliffs which basically have no drawback. Cavern doesn't let you cast burn spells or sideboard cards but you have enough colored sources (17) to make even a double colored non goblin card (rakdos charm is the only one) castable without many issues. I would always play some caverns because thay absolutely wreck decks with counterspells, giving you free wins when you have a cavern and they have some number of remand/mana leak/deprive/spell snare in hand. Actually being able to avoid counterspells is to me one of the best reasons to run this deck instead of burn or red deck wins.
The
one of keldon megaliths was included recently because i want a 21st land since i run 5 3 drops wich are quite essential to the deck... but in the end i could get off also with 20 lands so i'm fine having a come into play tapped mana source that can add reach or kill weenies. Before of megaliths i was running two mutavaults but i was having troubles with coloured sources, so i first cut to only one mutavault then switched to megaliths wich is better in my opinion.

The only main deck black card is Spike Jester, but men he is really worth the splash.... turn one guide turn 2 jester is game everytime they don't have an answer immediately.... 7 damages by turn 2 is too much to handle for almost any opponent. from the side rakdos charm is unbelievably good for its versatility, allowing you to have access to extra artifact removal against robots, hate cards against twin strategies, or grave hate. Thoughtseize is good but not fantastic.. it usually comes in against combo, control, or midrange decks with
sweepers, even if sometimes it creates awkward situations when you wish to topdeck a burn spell and you draw the discard spell instead. 4 discard spells are definitely too much i think, since you can't dilute creature count too much and you will never win without an explosive start. Dismember was combust before, but goyf can create problem so this is the answer (or Terminate if you prefer). Blood Moon doesn't need explanation , it wrecks opponents, just beware not having too much rakdos charms /spike jester/thoughtseize in your deck if you side in moon. Rain of gore and artifact hate are meta calls since my lgs always represents 2-3 affinity and the occasional soul sister (not that i have hope against it, but i believe in the one of rain of gore XD )

Regarding main deck, i think the flexible slots are just the three one ofs. Everything else is needed to me.... at first i was a bit skeptical about 4 loyalists but you'll
be surprised how good it is against a lot of decks. Even when his abilities are not relevant at all, a raging goblin is decent int his deck. Khaos will disagree with not running 4 mogg fanatic, but i don't think this is the kind of deck where fanatic shines. You just want to race and if you don't win soon you won't win (well, sometimes games go long because you manage to get them at 5 life or less, then they just can't attack and you play draw go until you find a grenade/bolt and win.... but this doesn't change the fact that you need to heavily attack their life total immediately),and i usually don't want to waste my one drop to kill a mana dork because i need to race. Obviously more fanatics would be good against affinity or pestermites, but you can't have them all and i think is better to run cards that are functional to your main strategy. the only other kind of slow card is mogg war marshal, but he is a must to me because he provides more bodies against removal and combos nicely with foundry
street denizen and goblin grenade.... mogg war marshal is like our silvergill adept, because a 1/1 is like an extra card to us :)

What else to say.... i can't stress enough that you just race you mustn't oversideboard with this deck, because it works in a comboish manner. The first cards to come out are always a couple of goblin grenades, because they get worse with less goblins in the deck, then you start shaving the less efficients creatures.

Worst matchup is soul sisters for obvious reasons and affinity preboard, because the only realistic option is to race them and is often very difficult due to etched champion or vault skirge + cranial plating or they just race you although you are generally a bit faster. Midrange decks are even matchups , but overall i have a positive record against jund. Control decks are quite favourable especially if you have cavern of souls. Merfolk and G/W hatebears are a cakewalk.
Straight combo /ad nauseam, living end) is not as bad as it may seem because when undisrupted i always win by turn 4 and a decent number of times by turn 3. Twin is even. Pod is quite unfavourable due to voice of resurgence /persist creatures which are a beating for us.

Most problematic cards are electrolyze, kitchen finks, voice of resurgence. Sweepers are bad but not terribly bad because if they tap out sorcery speed then they are facing a deck with almost only haste creatures and burn spells, so you are able to deal damage immediately.

Shared Animosity is really win more.... you can play a one off but almost always you would prefer a creature to it. I lost more games than i won because of it.

Sorry for the long and boring post, but i just wanted to share everything i know about goblins in modern..... i could for sure add more but this is enough for now. And thanks to khaos for having opened this thread.

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:21 am

:cry: :cry: no one is interested in little goblins .... or maybe i just scared everyone with my last post XD

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:47 am

:cry: :cry: no one is interested in little goblins .... or maybe i just scared everyone with my last post XD
I was actually beating up on my buddy's Blue Tron deck with this version just this morning:

[deck]
Creatures 28
4 Goblin Guide
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Legion Loyalist
2 Spikeshot Elder
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Chieftain
2 Goblin King

Spells 12
4 Krenko's Command
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Goblin Grenade

Land 20
2 Teetering Peaks
1 Cavern of Souls
17 Mountain
[/deck]

I won on turn 4 in at least 3 games. SO much fun.

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:11 pm

There is not much U tron can do against goblins, especially if you are running a playset of cavern of souls :)

My favorite game i had with goblins was winning on turn 3 against ad nauseam. His relevant plays were turn 1 serum visions, turn 2 tapped shockland pass the turn. Then he died to goblin guide + spike jester + double grenade.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:30 pm

Playing this in a Single Elimination on MTGO:

[deck]
Creatures 28
4 Goblin Guide
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Legion Loyalist
2 Spikeshot Elder
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Chieftain
2 Goblin King

Spells 12
4 Krenko's Command
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Goblin Grenade

Land 20
2 Teetering Peaks
2 Cavern of Souls
16 Mountain

Sideboard 15
3 Relic of Progenitus
2 Blood Moon
2 Dismember
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Smash to Smithereens
[/deck]

I won the first round so far, beating Storm.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:42 pm

How is the Scapeshift and RG Tron MU (aka pyroclasm.decks).

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:15 pm

Aaaaand I just lost to BW tokens in Game 3. I forgot about that card that can -1/-1 to all my guys and I got blown out in Game 2. In Game 3, he had 2 IoK and 2 Path to Exiles, so my Legion Loyalists never had a chance (He removed 2 from my hand and made sure a Lord never stuck.)

MDU - Goblins forces them to have it. If they don't they're just dead. At least, that's been my experience IRL. Today was the first day I've played the deck online. Even if you get your board wiped, the deck is very resilient. I've lost a board full of Goblins numerous times, only to draw back-to-back War Marshals or Commands.

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:06 pm

I beat several times double anger of the gods from jund. Pyroclasm is much more scarier than anger because it comes down earlier, but anyway sweepers are not unbeatable.
The key to me is to run as much haste creatures as you can (that's why i prefer Spike Jester), so that you can consider all of them like a burn spell with a body. If all your creatures die after having dealt some amount of damage, that's fine, because you will eventually topdeck a grenade and kill your opponent with it.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:37 am

So, Rabblemaster...does it have a place in a Modern deck? I'm thinking as a two-of for turn 4 to give the deck a bit more of a late game. Or maybe there's time for a slightly more grindy deck together with Siege-Gang Commander? And what about Stoke the Flames? We have the creatures, it's an instant and deals that crucial 4 damage?
Sig by NBW

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:02 am

Goblin King > Goblin Rabblemaster

Goblin Grenade > Stoke the Flames

I haven't tried any slower builds that will utilize Siege-Gangs. The deck really does want to win by turn 4 or 5.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:45 am

Obelisk of urd? Sort of a shared animosity that can be cast on two lands. Still enables turn four wins.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:50 am

I like it better than SA, because of the toughness boost. However, to get it out early you have to not attack on turn three.

But it fit the advice in the first post:

How to play Goblins! in 4 easy steps:

Step One: Play dudes.

Step Two: Turn dudes sideways.

Step Three: ???

Step Four: Profit!
Sig by NBW

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:34 pm

You really want to be able to attack on turn 3 lest you lose all your dudes to an Anger of the Gods.

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:48 pm

Rabblemaster may have a place because it creates board presence on its own and have good sinergy with legion loyalist, but i prefer playing some goblin kings or simply cut all the 3 drops besides 4 goblin chieftain that are untouchable.

I'd never play obelisk of urd. I don't play shared animosity because it is not a creature and does nothing against heavy removal decks. I've lost too many games by topdecking a shared animosity instead of a creature, and obelisk is even worse because you must skip a whole turn of attacking to play it.

Stoke the flames is a nice card but we already have 4 lightning bolt and 4 goblin grenades, and we really can't afford to cut creatures. However i can see playing 4 bolts 4 grenades 2 flames, or even 4 bolts 3 grenades 3 flames since goblin grenade can be a problem when you have it in multiples.

A "bigger" version of goblins with a higher curve can be played in modern.
It features aether vials , siege-gang, krenko and usually a splash color that can be black for wort boggart auntie / mad auntie or green for Lead the Stampede . I honestly believe it doesn't have the tools to fight a long game against the top tier decks, but if i had to try it i would go with the Stampede version because it can generate a lot of card advantage.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Anthem effects are exactly where you want to be against decks with lots of removal. They'll never have enough removal for all of your goblins, and making sure your creatures will be strong enough to do shit once they're starting to gain control of the board is absolutely crucial. I play Soul Sisters, and Angel of Jubilation definitely comes in game 2 vs UWR control.
Sig by NBW.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:19 pm

Goblins get there anthems from the Lords. The main goal is to spread out and then sideways. The more goblins you have, the better chance you have of winning. It's a numbers game.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:22 pm

ˆThis is why I'm considering Rabblemaster. One more card to give you goblins.
Sig by NBW

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:28 pm

But he may force you to make an inopportune attack. At least Goblin King grants Mountainwalk AND is a damage multiplier.

Rabblemaster is awesome with Stoke - fact. And he'd be awesome if he had guaranteed haste or protection from a color. But you need something a little tougher in Modern; it's a format with a LOT of removal.

But by all means, test him out. Report back. :)

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm thinking 2 Rabblemasters instead of Spikeshot Elders in your list (mostly because I don't have any Spikeshots), so 2 Kings + 2 Rabbles. Then maybe drop a Command + Grenade for 2 Stokes.
Sig by NBW

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:01 pm

This is my current list now:

[deck]Mono Red Goblins[/deck]

I love Spikeshot so much that I kicked out the Arsonists for an extra Spikeshot, land, and 2 Kings. ;-)

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:03 pm

The thing is, you're either going to win really fast and you need to be super efficient with your mana, or the game goes long and you run out of gas. Spikeshot mitigates some of the problems you have with a longer game - flood, you opponent's board, and stalled boardstates.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Also, on eight 3-drops, you may want to consider going up to 20-21 lands.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:45 am

Sig by NBW

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Khaos , aren't you willing to give a try to the black splash ? Rakdos charm is an awesome sideboard card and Spike jester is a real upgrade to krenko's command. Turn 1 Guide turn 2 Jester is almost unbeatable for some decks.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:12 pm

Khaos , aren't you willing to give a try to the black splash ? Rakdos charm is an awesome sideboard card and Spike jester is a real upgrade to krenko's command. Turn 1 Guide turn 2 Jester is almost unbeatable for some decks.
Next you're gonna tell me that all the cool kids are trying the black splash. ;-)

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:47 pm

Be cool, turn to the dark side of goblins. Enjoy suicidal charges with spike jesters, blood from the sky with rain of gore, let all feel joy in pain with rakdos charms.

I could make a tv spot.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:05 pm

That deck is such a gimmick :lol:

Basically, he says it's all about YOLO'ing and it's only good when he's running hot.

His hypocrisy is hilarious. TWoo berates the bad players and bad decks in the 2-Mans and wonders why people play the 2-Mans when there's no real payout. And then you know what he does? Plays all the 2-Mans with some jank YOLO deck.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:06 pm

Fucking Asians

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:30 pm

With their chingy chang chong and their kung-fu!

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Yeah, it's Woo so of course it's a gimmick deck.
Sig by NBW

Return to “Developing”