[Primer] Kiki Control

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

[Primer] Kiki Control

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:16 pm

WHAT IS KIKI CONTROL?
Kiki Control is a merging of UWR Control and UWR Twin lists. This new UWR lists brings in the disruptive elements of the control lists while providing an abrupt combo finisher that allows the deck to win games that may be unwinnable. Unlike the UWR Twin lists Kiki Control drops many of the staple Twin combo pieces for a more streamlined approach to the combo in Restoration Angel and Kiki-Jiki but also utilizes both pieces to provide powerful interactions with other creatures in the list.
Creatures
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker: Essential combo piece and namesake of the deck. Powerful with all other creatures in the
deck and win condition when paired with Restoration Angel. In certain match ups though he is a bit slow. Current builds of the deck all have 3 but 2 would not be bad either. Recommended 2-3.

Restoration Angel: Another key piece to the combo win but also a powerful win condition on her own. When the combo win is not a viable option Angel beats plan is the other way to go. She also interacts with every creature in the deck. Recommended 4.

Wall of Omens: A 0/4 defender that blocks and survives most aggressive creatures in the format and draws a card. One of Restoration Angel's best friends. The card can be meta dependent and primarily excels in aggro heavy metas. Recommended 4 of currently but can change.

Snapcaster Mage: Biggest utility card in the deck. Can provide early aggression against certain match ups and provides card advantage in others. Another of Restoration Angel's Best friends.
Recommended 2-4.

Vendilion Clique: Allows you to peek at your opponents hand and removes a card in exchange for another. It also allows us to loot a card for another. An aggressive 3/1 flying body also helps with the Angel Beats plan. Recommended 1-2.
Spells
Lightning Bolt: 3 damage for 1 mana. Kills most things in the format as well provides you an out and can let you burn out your opponent. Recommended 3-4

Path to Exile: Exile a creature for 1 mana in exchange for a basic land. Removes other creatures that bolt can't hit. Also is used to ramp your mana when needed. Recommended 3-4

Electrolyze: Key card against many small aggressive decks. For 3 mana can allow for 2 for ones while also netting you a card. One of the best removal spells against Affinity. Recommended 3-4

Mana Leak:
Strong early game counters that normally would be dead in the late game BUT along side tectonic edge should always keep these active. Recommended 3-4

Remand: While traditional UWR lists run anywhere from 0 to 1 due to not being able to utilize the tempo advantage Kiki Control on the other hand can due to its combo finish. Also provides card draw. Recommended 2-3

Spell Snare: Counters Goyf, Bob and a few other relevant spells in the format but can be quite dead against a slew of other things. The original lists from MOCs played 3 while current lists play a miser's copy. Recommended 0-4.

Cryptic Command: A staple in UWR control lists but the card is in contention with Kiki-Jiki due to both having triple mana symbol costs. Recommended 0-1.

[card]Sphinx's Revelation[/card]: Can net you many cards, pull you back into the game, and pull you away from death. While all these
things are true in Standard, in Modern the card can at times be polarizing. Recommended 0-1
Lands
Celestial Colonnade: A manland that is another win condition as well as provides U/W mana. Recommended 4.

Tectonic Edge: Powerful land disruption spell that fights opposing manlands as well as shutting off colored sources to opponents and keeps Mana Leak live. Recommended 2-3

Cascade Bluffs: Mana fixer that can provide mana for some of the more mana intensive spells. Recommended 1.

Desolate Lighthouse: Looting that allows you to dig to obtain spells that you need. Recommended 1.

Sulfur Falls: Acts as Steam Vents 4 or 5. Recommended 1.

Fetches: Recommended 8

Shocklands: Sacred Foundry Steam Vents and [card]Hallowed
Fountain[/card] all are needed but to varying degrees. Steam Vents is the most important with the deck wanted 3 to 4. The others are all singletons.

Basics: To protect against bloodmoon. Recommended are 2 Islands and 2 Plains in order to continue to cast spells.
Sideboard Card Options
Anger of the Gods: Good early wipe with an exile clause. Great against aggro decks and perfect against Pod decks.

Wrath of God: Why this over Supreme Verdict? Primarily for the No Regeneration clause. On top of that the matches you bring in a wipe don't run counter magic to begin with.

Counterflux: Wins the counter war against combo and control match ups.

Stony Silence: For the Affinity match up. Shuts off their deck but still does not deal with Etched Champion.

[card]Shatterstorm[/card:
1p9sc6ce]: Another viable option against Affinity. Does deal with Etched Champion and all non-creature artifacts in the deck.

Threads of Disloyalty: Goyf Thief.

Shadow of a Doubt: Stops Pod or Scapeshift from searching for a turn while netting you a card.

Relic of Progenitus: Graveyard hate to fight off Goyfs and Graveyard strategies. Can also net a card.

Dispel: In for the counter war as well as to protect Kiki from instant speed removal.

Timely Reinforcements: Brought in against aggressive strategies such as Burn.

Honden of Seeing WInds or Keranos, God of Storms: Both currently being tested as card advantage engines to combat Jund.
Decklists
[deck]Paul Nemeth 9th Place MOCs List[/deck]

[deck]Shaun McLaren GP Minneapolis 4th Place List[/deck]

[deck=Shaun McLaren's current List]Creatures (14)

4 Restoration Angel
2 Snapcaster Mage
4 Wall of Omens
3 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 Vendilion Clique
Lands (26)

2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains
4 Arid Mesa
1 Cascade Bluffs
4 Celestial Colonnade
1 Desolate Lighthouse
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
3 Tectonic Edge
Spells (20)

4 Electrolyze
2 Lightning Bolt
4 Mana Leak
4 Path to Exile
3 Remand
1 Spell Snare
1 Sphinx's Revelation
1 Flame Slash
Sideboard

1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Stony Silence
1 Threads of Disloyalty
n1 Celestial Purge
2 Counterflux
1 Dispel
1 Shadow of Doubt
1 Honden of Seeing Winds
1 Timely Reinforcements
2 Wrath of God[/deck]

[deck=NBW's Kiki Control]Creatures (14)
4 Restoration Angel
2 Snapcaster Mage
4 Wall of Omens
1 Vendilion Clique

Lands (26)
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains
4 Arid Mesa
1 Cascade Bluffs
4 Celestial Colonnade
1 Desolate Lighthouse
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
3 Tectonic Edge

Spells (20)
3 Electrolyze
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mana Leak
4 Path to Exile
3 Remand
1 Spell Snare
1 Sphinx's Revelation

Sideboard
2 Relic of Progenitus
3 Stony Silence
1 Anger of the Gods
1 Supreme Verdict
2 Counterflux
1 Dispel
1 Shadow of Doubt
1 Wrath of God
1 Keranos, God of Storms
2 ???[/deck]

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Match Up Guide

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:38 am

Match Up Guide Coming Soon
Affinity:

Melira or Angel Pod:

Kiki Pod:

Jund:

Scapeshift:

Tron:

Twin:

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Updated list

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:55 am

Updated list after some testing tonight. Testing was almost a bust with variance striking me pretty bad with a majority of my matches with Affinity started me off with openers contained 6 lands and a spell, all spells or 2 colorless producing lands and spells.

[deck]Creatures (14)
4 Restoration Angel
2 Snapcaster Mage
4 Wall of Omens
1 Vendilion Clique

Lands (26)
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains
4 Arid Mesa
1 Cascade Bluffs
4 Celestial Colonnade
1 Desolate Lighthouse
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
3 Tectonic Edge

Spells (20)
3 Electrolyze
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mana Leak
4 Path to Exile
2 Remand
2 Izzet Charm
1 Cryptic Command

Sideboard
2 Relic of Progenitus
3 Stony Silence
1 Anger of the Gods
1 Supreme Verdict
2 Counterflux
1 Dispel
1 Shadow of Doubt
1 Wrath of God
1 Keranos, God of Storms
2 ???[/
deck]

Changes: Dropped a Remand and Spell Snare for Izzet Charm. In limited testing the card is doing what I needed it to do: be a flex option. I was able to counter and save mana leak for other things or kill off threats that I didn't need to waste bolt on. I'm okay with the change but definitely going to continue testing this

Swapped out a [card]Sphinx's Revelation[/card] for a Cryptic Command. Still needs more testing to see if the switch is good. Sphinx was always awkward when I drew it as I either was winning for the card to matter or I was too far behind to cast it for it even to matter. Cryptic is solid but the mana cost can be an issue. I may just try [card]Jace's Ingenuity[/card] in its place.

While many find the affinity match up solid with this deck but I felt it was okay at best. [card]Etched Champion[/
card] will beat you any time it lands. Same goes for Cranial Plating.

UR Delver after I figured it out is pretty favorable. You have enough removal to keep their field suppressed but a Young Pyromancer that gets going can take you out of the game.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:17 am

Why only 2 Snapcaster?
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:05 am

Why only 2 Snapcaster?
I think it may have a combination of wanting to fit in some spells and having enough draw power to actually see them. Next testing session I had already plan to swap a Wall for a Snapcaster but I may just try out the original list with 4 snapcasters just with a modified sideboard.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:18 am

After playing some Twin last night, I can't imagine life without all the Snapcasters lol
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 pm

After playing some Twin last night, I can't imagine life without all the Snapcasters lol
Agreed they are incredibly powerful but I do know from talking with my brother who is more familiar with Control decks that even though the card is insanely powerful you don't always want to draw one because you just need an answer. Here is the list I am going to be testing next:

[deck]Creatures (15)
4 Restoration Angel
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Wall of Omens
2 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 Vendilion Clique

Lands (26)
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains
4 Arid Mesa
1 Cascade Bluffs
4 Celestial Colonnade
1 Desolate Lighthouse
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
3 Tectonic Edge

Spells (19)
3 Electrolyze
n4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mana Leak
3 Path to Exile
2 Remand
3 Spell Snare[/deck]

Upping the Snapcaster count to feel DA POWA but also upping my one mana spells to better utilize him. Brought back Spell Snare to really test it in order to up my game against Affinity to have more answers game 1 to Cranial Plating as well as have more Answers to Goyf/Bob for the jund match up that don't always require them hitting the board and giving them free land.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:26 pm

[deck=Gerry Thompson's List]Creatures (15)

4 Restoration Angel
2 Snapcaster Mage
4 Wall of Omens
2 Vendilion Clique
Lands (26)

2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains
4 Arid Mesa
1 Cascade Bluffs
2 Cavern of Souls
3 Celestial Colonnade
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Seachrome Coast
2 Steam Vents
2 Sulfur Falls
Spells (19)

2 Cryptic Command
2 Electrolyze
1 Jace's Ingenuity
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Path to Exile
4 Remand
2 Spell Snare
Sideboard

2 Relic of Progenitus
3 Stony Silence
2 Counterflux
2 Dispel
1 Jace's Ingenuity
1 Wear
2 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
2 Anger of the Gods[/deck]

Thompson's List from the recent SCG Premium article where he went 1-2 drop at a PTQ. There is a lot that I feel that is generally wrong in this set up. He has 2 Cryptics which clash completely with the 3 Kikis BUT he did take out Sphinx's in place of Jace's
Ingenuity. He upped the remand count BUT lost all Mana Leaks which I felt in testing were much superior. His issue with the deck is that he felt it was pulling in two places and his list feels immediately looks that way and at times McLaren's list feels the same as well but not at an extreme that Thompson's list looks at. The 4 Remands forces the deck to be in a tempo game when it needs to be a control game first.

Return to “Control”