Hushwing Gryff in (M15) Standard Burn

Moderator: rezombad

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Hushwing Gryff in (M15) Standard Burn

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Anyone else really excited about Hushwing Gryff? Its has pesto haste via flash and it cripples MoW + Gary, its also our only out vs Naya Super-friends or Junk which is bound too play 1-2 Resolute Archangel in the sideboard :/

I'm buying these asap because like Revel (which I brought for >3) they will only go up in price because its uses in other formats.

M15 is looking like a great set for RW burn :yes:

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:37 pm

That Griff is one of the cards that I'm most excited for in M15. It had me with torpor orb on a pogo stick. Instant speed made me dirty myself. I'm picking up a play set ASAP.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:19 am

Resolute Archangel is not remotely threatening for Burn, seriously... no one is siding in 7 drops against the least interactive aggro deck in the format.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:14 am

Not in an proper competitive event - but its possible out of spite online (kinda like FSP or that horrible enchantment which gain life, pumps and make creatures).

Even if it doesn't see play I still think Hushwing Gryff is gonna be great vs many other cards like: Sin Collector, Tidebinder Mage, Master of the Wave, LBZ, Gary and a few random others.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:27 am

My only concern against black is that there's a chance they doom blade it to still get their effect to go off but that is narrow until late game. Can't topdeck the win there though I would assume it's coming in along with skullcrack for more outs.

Against monsters and mono blue though, it should be quite powerful. Would have to see what that sideboard would look like.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:36 am

Resolute Archangel is not remotely threatening for Burn, seriously... no one is siding in 7 drops against the least interactive aggro deck in the format.
It's not the worst idea in the world. I play a fair amount of control and vs. burn, swapping this for the 4th rev or 27th land seems fine. It's basically like a rev/aetherling split card since it does a duel job of giving you a stabilizer and finisher.

Having said that, if I where the burn player, I agree that I wouldn't remotely care about this existing. You're either winning or losing based on the fights that happened before this and skullcracking this guy is infinitely more painful then skullcracking a rev.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Resolute Angel cost to much to survive Wr heroic. What can I cast for 7 or less mana that wins me the game other than this? A 4/4 ain't it. The Soul of (X) Mythics are better than this.

The Gryff is side board material. Worth picking up for Modern, but that is it.
Author of Gunning for Tactical/Practical - http://diestoremoval.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2103
Current Decks
Commander- Kaalia (Dega) and Nekusar (Grixis)
Modern- UB Faeries and Splinter Twin
Standard- Mono-black Devotion
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:30 am

You guys don't like it against Ux, BWx or Bx devo?

Perhaps I'm bias toward my favoritism since I like things which fly and have flash :shrug:

EDIT: what is Wr heroic?

hoeiberg
Newcomer

Postby hoeiberg » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 am

I love the Gryff in the SB. I read it as Skullcracks 5-6/7, and it does a good job of hosing other annoying ETB creatures while being a flying threat to boot. Not playing it MB though, too dead in some match-ups.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:59 pm

I think it's a very solid sideboard card right now.

But you will cry the first time Bx kills Gryff before it has a chance to counter Gary. That requires 7 mana so it may not be worth the fear but I still only consider it half a skullcrack at best against them. Is immune to duress and sin collector so there is that.

Return to “New Card Talk & Future Brews”