Checkbox's Commander Center

Decklists intended for multiplayer games can be posted here

Moderator: Manasjap

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Checkbox » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Here are the decklists for my 5 Commander decks. I have Sliver Overlord, Marrow-Gnawer, Krenko, Mob Boss, Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter, and Glissa, the Traitor. Let me know what you think/like/dislike!
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
it's not cheating if you hand her the jizz afterwards
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:30 pm

RE Slivers: 33 lands is really low. That's like running 20 lands in a sixty card deck - very few decks can get by on that, let alone 5 color decks. 38's better, that's the equivalent of 23 lands. Maybe even 40, since you're 5 color. That's an awful lot of CIPT lands, too. That's going to be annoying when you have one of the few EDH decks that actually has a curve it needs badly to hit.

Darksteel Mutation might be better than some of your other removal, there. Maybe some other mass resurrection spells such as [card]Twilight's Call[/card]? Good to counter the board sweep, might have some combo potential, and with Heart Sliver in the yard...

Crypt Sliver is another good way to mass removal. So is Sedge Sliver - might be the best sliver ever printed. Shame about the number of swamps in the current list
though. If you can retool that...
Chameleon Colossus probably doesn't do much for you here, I'd suspect.

How about Homing Sliver? If your general gets taken out, useful. Toxin Sliver and Sidewinder Sliver are worth thinking about too.

Not really sold on a lot of the non-creature options. You definitely need some amount of color fixing, but it's kind of awkward to have a lot of ramping in your three slot, where many of your slivers are located. Means that you're only really ramping towards your general and color-fixing, which hurts your curve something fierce.

I'd think that a lot of good would come from concentrating on stuff like Coat of Arms for insta-kills, and wrath protection. Your losses are probably going to come from being outraced or wrath'd.

Tempted to recommend equipment, but I think you need stuff like [card]Garruk
Wildspeaker[/card] or even Beastmaster Ascension that does all your guys at once, more than you need to aim for resiliency. But maybe I'm wrong about that, and you just need to ramp up until you can play your general and fetch Mirror Entity.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:54 pm

RE Slivers: 33 lands is really low. That's like running 20 lands in a sixty card deck - very few decks can get by on that, let alone 5 color decks. 38's better, that's the equivalent of 23 lands. Maybe even 40, since you're 5 color. That's an awful lot of CIPT lands, too. That's going to be annoying when you have one of the few EDH decks that actually has a curve it needs badly to hit.
This deck can be slow, for sure, but I rarely have mana problems unless I just draw nothing. Between 3 Signets, 4 Bouncelands Rampant Growth, Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Harrow, Chromatic Lantern, Ingot, and Explosive Vegetation (along with Manaweft/Gemhide Sliver), I never have issues hitting all 5 colors (despite fetching up basics all the time, because I'm
poor :P ) I could afford to add some lands, but I'm not sure what I'd want to cut.
Darksteel Mutation might be better than some of your other removal, there. Maybe some other mass resurrection spells such as Twilight's Call? Good to counter the board sweep, might have some combo potential, and with Heart Sliver in the yard...
I like Darksteel Mutation, I'll have to find a copy. I also love Twilight's Call, I could steal that card from one of my other decks.
Crypt Sliver is another good way to mass removal. So is Sedge Sliver - might be the best sliver ever printed. Shame about the
number of swamps in the current list though. If you can retool that...

Chameleon Colossus probably doesn't do much for you here, I'd suspect.
I can get behind Crypt Sliver over Colossus. Colossus is just a huge beater/threat most of the time. Probably better to focus on things like Beastmaster Ascension, like you said. Sedge is sweet too, probably worth playing since he pumps also.
How about Homing Sliver? If your general gets taken out, useful. Toxin Sliver and Sidewinder Sliver are worth thinking about too.
Homing Sliver is a good anti-tuck consideration. I never liked Toxin much, since I usually want to keep my guys alive most of the time. Sidewinder I don't think does enough as a 1/1.
Not really sold on a lot of the non-creature options. You definitely need some amount of color fixing, but it's kind of awkward to have a lot of ramping in your three slot, where many of your slivers are located. Means that you're only really ramping towards your general and color-fixing, which hurts your curve something fierce.
I only have 6 slivers in the 3-slot; multiplayer games don't usually necessatate curving out that smoothly with dudes anyways.
I'd think that a lot of good would come from concentrating on stuff like Coat of Arms for insta-kills, and wrath protection. Your losses are probably going to come from being outraced or wrath'd.
I used to have Coat of Arms in here, but cut it cause I usually just won when it came out. I'll keep an eye out
for another one to throw back in there.
Tempted to recommend equipment, but I think you need stuff like Garruk Wildspeaker or even Beastmaster Ascension that does all your guys at once, more than you need to aim for resiliency. But maybe I'm wrong about that, and you just need to ramp up until you can play your general and fetch Mirror Entity.
I can get behind both of those, but what are the cuts?

In:
[cards]Darksteel Mutation
Beastmaster Ascension
Garruk Wildspeaker
Twilight's Call
Crypt Sliver
Sedge Sliver[/cards]
~5 more lands?

Out:
Chameleon Colossus
???
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:38 pm

I'd cut:

Slate of Ancestry (if you have a large board presence already, I'd be more interested in protecting that investment or capitalizing off it with an insta-win.
Amoeboid Changeling - only useful occasionally for political purposes, or in weird scenarios like dormant sliver.
Groundshaker Sliver - Too expensive
Oversold Cemetery - Mass recursion better
Swiftfoot Boots - Hasty slivers better, paying mana to equip annoying
Wing Shards - Not particularly versatile or cost effective
Urza's Incubator - Doesn't color fix or ramp your non-creatures
Door of Destinies - Not as good as an overrun effect.
Hibernation's End - Deficient compared to good card draw or your general.
Wild Pair - Deficient compared to your general.

Iffy: Enchanted Evening. If you have something like harmonic sliver out, great. Otherwise, pretty useless.
Iffy: Pulmonic Sliver (expensive, and same CC as general)
Iffy: Ancient Craving (
Good card, but there's better card draw than this available. Recurring Insight, perhaps.)

Other possible inclusions: Mirari's Wake and Mana Reflection.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:09 pm

I'd cut:

Slate of Ancestry (if you have a large board presence already, I'd be more interested in protecting that investment or capitalizing off it with an insta-win.
Amoeboid Changeling - only useful occasionally for political purposes, or in weird scenarios like dormant sliver.
Groundshaker Sliver - Too expensive
Oversold Cemetery - Mass recursion better
Swiftfoot Boots - Hasty slivers better, paying mana to equip annoying
Wing Shards - Not particularly versatile or cost effective
Urza's Incubator - Doesn't color fix or ramp your non-creatures
Door of Destinies - Not as good as an overrun effect.
Hibernation's End - Deficient compared to good card draw or your general.
Wild Pair - Deficient compared to your general.

Iffy: Enchanted Evening. If you
have something like harmonic sliver out, great. Otherwise, pretty useless.
Iffy: Pulmonic Sliver (expensive, and same CC as general)
Iffy: Ancient Craving (Good card, but there's better card draw than this available. Recurring Insight, perhaps.)

Other possible inclusions: Mirari's Wake and Mana Reflection.
I really like slate of ancestry; card draw can be hard to come by in 5cc decks as opposed to like 2 or 3 color blue decks.
Amoeboid Changeling works very well with my general, I think I'd like to keep him in also.
Groundshaker can go.
Oversold Cemetery can also go.
I like Boots as they are another way I can protect my general; Hexproof >>> Haste here.
I like that Wing Shards will hit untargetable/Voltron generals. Its a very specific answer to certain cards, and I like having that available to me. What else would you prefer?
Urza's is cute, but can go.
I like Door of Destinies cause it creeps up on people; they see it, whine a bit, but ultimately forget about
it until its too late. And an overrun is only better when you already have a board position set up. But maybe Garruk is better.
Hibernation's End is one of my favorite cards ever! It might be too cute, but I'm not sure if I can bring myself to cut it. Its a nice "pseudo-tutor", especially for when you need to rebuild a board position.
Wild Pair falls under the same category as Hibernation's End; these are alternatives to my general for creating board position; I don't think that they are that deficient when compared either; my general is quite a mana investment, whereas these take a turn to set up then they just go.
If you had to leave in either Hibernation's End or Wild Pair, which would it be? I feel like I want to keep at least one of them.

RE: Enchanted Evening; obviously insane with Harmonic Sliver, and the fact that my general tutors up Harmonic makes this good enough I think.
Pulmonic could go, but it is kind of an anti-wrath/removal of sorts, allowing me to save the creatures I
really need. Also flying doesn't hurt, and I figure this one is better than Winged Sliver.
Recurring Insight would be better than Ancient Craving for sure, just gotta pick one up.

So now its:
In:
Darksteel Mutation(maybe?)
Beastmaster Ascension
Garruk Wildspeaker
Twilight's Call
Crypt Sliver
Sedge Sliver
~5 more lands?

Out:
Chameleon Colossus
Groundshaker Sliver
Oversold Cemetery
Urza's Incubator
Door of Destinies
???
whisper words of wisdom

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:09 am

I forgot completely about Sliver overlord stealing things. That makes Ameloid make a lot of sense.

Wild Pair > Hibernation's End, hands down. Triggers multiple times, doesn't tie up your mana.

Are you worried about voltron generals with some kind of evasion attached, a la Sword of Fire and Ice or Feast and Famine?

I'd think that regeneration or racing would stop most of those guys in their tracks, unless they have some kind of evasion you can't combat. But in that case, you're really talking about a problem with artifacts. Aura Shards maybe? Helps make your enchanted evening better, too.

You have a point about Door of Destinies creeping up on people. And it IS a permanent effect. You may have argued me into it, if options like Coat of Arms are taken off the table.

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:40 pm

Can someone post the decklists in this thread? I can't view the doc from work :(

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:50 pm

They're in a spreadsheet, so I'm not sure that'd work?

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:04 pm

Ehh, I'll look at them when I get out of work.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:57 am

Wild Pair > Hibernation's End, hands down. Triggers multiple times, doesn't tie up your mana.
I can get behind that.
Are you worried about voltron generals with some kind of evasion attached, a la Sword of Fire and Ice or Feast and Famine?
I like having answers to them rather ta just bein straight dead without a wrath effect.
I'd think that regeneration or racing would stop most of those guys in their tracks,
unless they have some kind of evasion you can't combat. But in that case, you're really talking about a problem with artifacts. Aura Shards maybe? Helps make your enchanted evening better, too.
I have Harmonic Sliver, do I also need Aura Shards?
You have a point about Door of Destinies creeping up on people. And it IS a permanent effect. You may have argued me into it, if options like Coat of Arms are taken off the table.
I think I may have cut Coat of Arms cause Sliver Legion is in there and tutorable.
whisper words of wisdom

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:22 pm

*nods* Coat of Arms being an artifact makes it a lot more durable than Sliver Legion, though.

Do you *need* Aura Shards if you have Harmonic Sliver? Well, there's only a finite number of guys you're going to have time, mana, and opportunity to grab with your general. If you need a Harmonic Sliver effect in most every game you play, then it's probably good to throw in a duplicate.

If you need something more in the vein of general purpose creature removal, maybe that's the wrong choice for that slot.

BTW, do you think Phantasmal Image/Phyrexian Metamorph might be any good?

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:27 pm

I forgot about this thread and still haven't looked at the deck lists. Son of a gun. :frog:

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Yeah Wing Shards is a very specific slot dedicated to a very specific kind of asshole in EDH :P

Also we're still missing ~5 cuts for lands, and I don't think cutting slivers is the right choice.

So now its:
In:
Darksteel Mutation
Beastmaster Ascension
Garruk Wildspeaker
Twilight's Call
Aura Shards
Coat of Arms
Crypt Sliver
Sedge Sliver
~5 more lands?

Out:
Chameleon Colossus
Groundshaker Sliver
Oversold Cemetery
Urza's Incubator
Hibernation's End
Door of Destinies
???
whisper words of wisdom

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:53 am

[quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=237424#p237424:6vn4j7cy]Checkbox » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:04 am[/url:6vn4j7cy]":6vn4j7cy]Yeah Wing Shards is a very specific slot dedicated to a very specific kind of asshole in EDH :P

Also we're still missing ~5 cuts for lands, and I don't think cutting slivers is the right choice.

So now its:
In:
Darksteel Mutation
Beastmaster Ascension
Garruk Wildspeaker
Twilight's Call
Aura Shards
Coat of Arms
Crypt Sliver
Sedge Sliver
~5 more lands?

Out:
Chameleon Colossus
Groundshaker Sliver
Oversold Cemetery
Urza's Incubator
Hibernation's End
Door of Destinies
???[/quote:6vn4j7cy]

Cut Beastmaster, Aura Shards, and Ancient Craving?

Still not a fan of Pulmonic Sliver either. Putting slivers on top of your library really doesn't to do that much for
you - it'll take too long to build back up. If you're interested in rebuilding after a board wipe, I think either mass recursion or Mirari's Wake and Mana Reflection are better bets. They let you replay the general easily and search out new friends like crazy. And as mentioned earlier, Pulmonic is a 5cc slot, which is a really awkward place for it to be when you have two other slivers that offer flying at a much cheaper rate, plus Shifting Sliver, plus Ward Sliver...yeah.

Mirari's Wake and Mana Reflection are kind of ideal for this type of general. The more mana you have, the more resiliency to removal and the more card advantage you can generate. It means your limiting factor, with your general un-tucked, is almost always going to be mana rather than cards.

We probably ought to cut Door of Destinies too, because there's more value in simply being able to tutor up ALL THE SLIVERS, and Door is going to be awfully disappointing on an empty hand.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:44 pm

Still not a fan of Pulmonic Sliver either. Putting slivers on top of your library really doesn't to do that much for you - it'll take too long to build back up. If you're interested in rebuilding after a board wipe, I think either mass recursion or Mirari's Wake and Mana Reflection are better bets. They let you replay the general easily and search out new friends like crazy. And as mentioned earlier, Pulmonic is a 5cc slot, which is a really awkward place for it to be when you have two other slivers that offer flying at a much cheaper rate, plus Shifting Sliver, plus Ward Sliver...yeah.

Mirari's Wake and Mana Reflection are kind of ideal for this type of general. The more mana you have, the more resiliency to
removal and the more card advantage you can generate. It means your limiting factor, with your general un-tucked, is almost always going to be mana rather than cards.

We probably ought to cut Door of Destinies too, because there's more value in simply being able to tutor up ALL THE SLIVERS, and Door is going to be awfully disappointing on an empty hand.
I see what you are saying about Pulmonic.

In:
Darksteel Mutation
Garruk Wildspeaker
Twilight's Call
Coat of Arms
Mirari's Wake
Mana Reflection
Crypt Sliver
Sedge Sliver
~5 more lands?

Out:
Chameleon Colossus
Pulmonic Sliver
Groundshaker Sliver
Oversold Cemetery
Urza's Incubator
Hibernation's End
Door of Destinies
Ancient Craving
5 OTHER CARDS

And somehow we are still 5 cards short (Door of Destinies was already on the chopping block). Maybe just don't add Coat of Arms since Sliver Legion is tutorable?
whisper words of wisdom

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:50 am

Still not a fan of Pulmonic Sliver either. Putting slivers on top of your library really doesn't to do that much for you - it'll take too long to build back up. If you're interested in rebuilding after a board wipe, I think either mass recursion or Mirari's Wake and Mana Reflection are better bets. They let you replay the general easily and search out new friends like crazy. And as mentioned earlier, Pulmonic is a 5cc slot, which is a really awkward place for it to be when you have two other slivers that offer flying at a much cheaper rate, plus Shifting
Sliver, plus Ward Sliver...yeah.

Mirari's Wake and Mana Reflection are kind of ideal for this type of general. The more mana you have, the more resiliency to removal and the more card advantage you can generate. It means your limiting factor, with your general un-tucked, is almost always going to be mana rather than cards.

I see what you are saying about Pulmonic.

In:
Darksteel Mutation
Garruk Wildspeaker
Twilight's Call
Coat of Arms
Mirari's Wake
Mana Reflection
Crypt Sliver
Sedge Sliver
~5 more lands?

Out:
Chameleon Colossus
Pulmonic Sliver
Groundshaker Sliver
Oversold Cemetery
Urza's Incubator
Hibernation's End
Door of Destinies
Ancient Craving
5 OTHER CARDS

And somehow we are still 5 cards short (Door of Destinies was already on the
chopping block). Maybe just don't add Coat of Arms since Sliver Legion is tutorable?
Only three cards short actually, 13 cards in, 10 out. Slate of Ancestry is also supposed to be out, right?

For additional outs, how about

Genesis Wave
Rampant Growth
Wing Shards or Condemn or Oblation or Darksteel Ingot

Darkheart Sliver doesn't seem that hot either, if you can find a good replacement, such as Homing Sliver.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:09 pm

In (8 + 5 land):
Darksteel Mutation
Garruk Wildspeaker
Twilight's Call
Coat of Arms
Mirari's Wake
Mana Reflection
Crypt Sliver
Sedge Sliver
~5 more lands?

Out (11):
Chameleon Colossus
Pulmonic Sliver
Groundshaker Sliver
Oversold Cemetery
Urza's Incubator
Hibernation's End
Door of Destinies
Ancient Craving
Darkheart Sliver
Rampant Growth
Darksteel Ingot

Darkheart is nice for getting life out of tokens when you are making tons of them, though I guess winning the game at that point is just better.
You want to cut Rampant Growth and Ingot for more lands? I guess I can get behind that.
Gen Wave is way too much fun for me to cut.
Slate of Ancestry... grr I really like that card as a colorless draw spell in decks like this where you can empty a hand full of slivers then have nothing to do sometimes.
Do you really not like the 1-for-1 general removal? Do you just not like them in this deck or just
dont like them in Commander in general? Which two of those three would you rather see gone?
whisper words of wisdom

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:46 pm

In (8 + 5 land):
Darksteel Mutation
Garruk Wildspeaker
Twilight's Call
Coat of Arms
Mirari's Wake
Mana Reflection
Crypt Sliver
Sedge Sliver
~5 more lands?

Out (11):
Chameleon Colossus
Pulmonic Sliver
Groundshaker Sliver
Oversold Cemetery
Urza's Incubator
Hibernation's End
Door of Destinies
Ancient Craving
Darkheart Sliver
Rampant Growth
Darksteel Ingot

Darkheart is nice for getting life out of tokens when you are making tons of them, though I guess winning the game at that point is just better.
You want to cut Rampant Growth and Ingot for more lands? I guess I can get behind that.
Gen Wave is way too much fun for me to cut.
Slate of Ancestry... grr I really like that card as a colorless draw spell in decks like this where you can
empty a hand full of slivers then have nothing to do sometimes.
Do you really not like the 1-for-1 general removal? Do you just not like them in this deck or just dont like them in Commander in general? Which two of those three would you rather see gone?
In this deck, not as huge a fan of it. If you're trading one card for one card, you don't have the card draw to sustain that attrition very well, and you *should* be able to race and block for defense fairly effectively. Mana and mass bonuses should tend to work out better.

Depending on your meta, I'd cut Oblation. Otherwise, Wing Shards. Too conditional, too specific.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:31 pm

So I'll cut Oblation and Wing Shards then. That makes it even now, right? Let's do the next deck!
whisper words of wisdom

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Soo, now I need to make room for Sliver Hivelord, Constricting Sliver, Diffusion Sliver, Leeching Sliver, and Venom Sliver I think. Also Sliver Hive.
whisper words of wisdom

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:34 pm

Soo, now I need to make room for Sliver Hivelord, Constricting Sliver, Diffusion Sliver, Leeching Sliver, and Venom Sliver I think. Also Sliver Hive.
Hmm. Constricting Sliver I might pass on, due to casting cost and vulnerability to removal. For the same amount of mana, you can permanently blow stuff up that *really needs to die* with Necrotic. With Constricting Sliver, you're probably going to have to wait a turn before you get your first activation, not to mention having to build up to 6 mana, and it's only a temporary solution that hits only creatures.

Diffusion MIGHT be good enough, but it's usually going to be strictly worse than Crystalline Sliver. I could see it.

Leeching doesn't look like anything I'd care to play.

Sliver
Hivelord and Sliver Hive - !!!!!!!!!!!! Yes please. I'd cut...probably Striking Sliver. The combat boost is probably less relevant than all the ways you have to provide evasion (or regeneration), and it's pretty close to being vanilla.

If you want Diffusion, maybe cut Swiftfoot Boots? I'd rather have it on a Sliver than an artifact, and you've got a lot more and better resilience to removal built into the deck elsewhere now. Plus, that one mana to equip can be really limiting.

Come to think of it, this deck would probably love to have Living End included as well, as a removal and recursion option. Very nice way to provide two very useful effects. Cut Dormant Sliver since you don't have an abundance of ways to get rid of it easily?

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:31 pm

Marrow-Gnawer:

Cuts:
Slate of Ancestry - Better here than in Slivers, but this is still a really expensive and conditional card draw option.
Door of Destinies - It's almost good enough, but when you compare it to the utility of Coat of Arms or Thrumming Stone, there's no particular time you want to tutor for it, and it's risky whether the mana investment will pay off sufficiently fast enough. For any meaningful efficiency over just playing more rats, you have to play your general, than sac some rats, then play several more rats...pretty convoluted process to get it working as it needs to. Playing more Relentless rats will usually be better.
Gravestorm - really conditional card draw. Reallllly conditional.
Sword of the Paruns - Pretty expensive way to give your creatures +2/+2.
Harrowing Journey - Tad overcosted, marginal.
Caged Sun - You don't have anything of a higher CC to ramp towards after you play this,
so you're banking on having sufficient card draw to cast multiple spells for multiple turns to make up for the six mana investment, and/or several Marrow Gnawer Activations. Not sure that's a safe bet. If you do find that that's something valuable, you could try Gauntlets of Power too.
Terrain Generator - it'd take three mana to trigger this, which makes it very unlikely to be useful given your curve.
Underworld Connections - eats up a land to generate the effect, scoops to Strip Mine etc.
Read the Runes - 3 mana card draw, 3rd cc slot is a bit awkward for this sort of mediocre effect.
Thespian's Stage, Everglades, Lake of the Dead, Swarmyard - You'll have to weigh the utility of these effects against the extra mana you can generate using Cabal Coffers.

Options:
Ancient Tomb
Coat of Arms - Obv
38 Lands (+Swamps)
Homeward Path
Urborg, Tomb to Yawgmoth (powers up your Cabal Coffers)
Aether Vial - Set to three, profit? Not totally sure it's good, would hate it late game, but if you pack
enough card draw, maybe? Probably not.
Night's Whisper
Ambition's Cost
Promise of Power
Skeletal Scrying - Probably not one of the better card draw options, since you don't drop cards in your yard that you want to remove.
Vampiric Tutor
Beseech the Queen (even if only gets a Cabal Coffers, it's probably worth it). Compares favorably with Expedition Map.
Necrologia (Ridiculously good card draw)
Patriarch's Bidding
Desperate Research - probably not enough Relentless Rats to make this pay off, but a neat little spell to keep in mind.
Living End - Helps with your dearth of removal, provides resilience.
Demonic Collusion - If you want some more five-mana tutor effects.
Go for the Throat - Sometimes, you just need some cheap removal to tutor for.
Helm of Possession - Pretty nice for decks with little guys to burn.
Head Games/Mind Sludge/Mind Twist - If you decide you need some hand disruption, these tend to be some of the better options you can ask for.
Grave Pact - Another good removal
option.
Soul Foundry - Slow, but might be nice.

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:25 pm

Krenko:

My preferred philosophy in Krenko is that your opponent should be dead the turn after he's activated for the first time, if not the very same turn - if you're not either destroying their landbase or your opponent's life total at that point, you've got no long-term stamina, and Krenko has too much of a target on his back to safely gamble on multiple activations IMO. I would recommend cutting most of the 4cc goblin slots except for Goblin Ringleader and Beetleback. I'd also add some lands. Non-creature slots could also use some cleanup.

Your list has a lot more effects that give a single creature haste. I largely excluded those in favor of running only the cards that gave all my guys haste. You might be onto something there, at least as to the ones that allow you to play 4th turn hasty Krenko. I'll probably make a number of changes to my list based on this; I didn't realize a number of things like the Battle
Squadron errata, and maybe I concentrated too much on keeping my curve low. Some of the 4-5cc goblins I might have underestimated.

Cuts:

Fissure
Slate of Ancestry
Lava Flow
Goblin War Drums
Brighstone Ritual
Strider Harness
Swiftfoot Boots
Ring of Valkas
Illusionist's Bracers
Goblin War Strike
Fire Diamond
Obsidian War-Axe
Wild Guess
Caterwauling Boggart
Lightning Crafter
Horde of Boggarts
Goblin Ruinblaster
Kiki Jiki
Skirk Fire Marshall
Boggart Shenanigans
Stingscourger
Goblin Lookout

As for additions, I'd try:

Ancient Tomb
Ruination
Magus of the Moon
Warren Instigators
Goblin Lookout
Ogre Taskmaster
Coat of Arms
Foundry Denizen
Sparksmith
Goblin Artillery
Gamble
Eldrazi Monument
Marton Stromgald
Goblin Chirurgeon
Goblin Vandal
Hall of the Bandit Lord
Sol Ring

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:57 pm

Hmm. Constricting Sliver I might pass on, due to casting cost and vulnerability to removal. For the same amount of mana, you can permanently blow stuff up that *really needs to die* with Necrotic. With Constricting Sliver, you're probably going to have to wait a turn before you get your first activation, not to mention having to build up to 6 mana, and it's only a temporary solution that hits only creatures.

Diffusion MIGHT be good enough,
but it's usually going to be strictly worse than Crystalline Sliver. I could see it.

Sliver Hivelord and Sliver Hive - !!!!!!!!!!!! Yes please. I'd cut...probably Striking Sliver. The combat boost is probably less relevant than all the ways you have to provide evasion (or regeneration), and it's pretty close to being vanilla.

If you want Diffusion, maybe cut Swiftfoot Boots? I'd rather have it on a Sliver than an artifact, and you've got a lot more and better resilience to removal built into the deck elsewhere now. Plus, that one mana to equip can be really limiting.

Come to think of it, this deck would probably love to have Living End included as well, as a removal and recursion option. Very nice way to provide two very useful effects. Cut Dormant Sliver since you don't have an abundance of ways to get rid of it easily?

Striking Sliver --> Sliver Hivelord
Some land --> Sliver Hive
Swiftfoot Boots -->
Diffusion Sliver

I like Dormant Sliver; that's part of what the sacrifice to gain life sliver was doing in there. You think Living End over Living Death?
whisper words of wisdom

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:06 pm

Hmm. Constricting Sliver I might pass on, due to casting cost and vulnerability to removal. For the same amount of mana, you can permanently blow stuff up that *really needs to die* with Necrotic. With Constricting Sliver, you're probably going to have to wait a turn before you get your
first activation, not to mention having to build up to 6 mana, and it's only a temporary solution that hits only creatures.

Diffusion MIGHT be good enough, but it's usually going to be strictly worse than Crystalline Sliver. I could see it.

Sliver Hivelord and Sliver Hive - !!!!!!!!!!!! Yes please. I'd cut...probably Striking Sliver. The combat boost is probably less relevant than all the ways you have to provide evasion (or regeneration), and it's pretty close to being vanilla.

Come to think of it, this deck would probably love to have Living End included as well, as a removal and recursion option. Very nice way to provide two very useful effects. Cut Dormant Sliver since you don't have an
abundance of ways to get rid of it easily?

Striking Sliver --> Sliver Hivelord
Some land --> Sliver Hive
Swiftfoot Boots --> Diffusion Sliver

I like Dormant Sliver; that's part of what the sacrifice to gain life sliver was doing in there. You think Living End over Living Death?
Living Death, misspoke.

Even if you add back in Darkheart Sliver in addition to Necrotic Sliver and a few other ways you have to ditch it, any way you cut it you have very few ways to eliminate Dormant Sliver and can't easily win with it in place.

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:20 pm

Oh yeah. Breath of Fury and Shared Animosity and Skullclamp are some good in Krenko, too...

Thousand Year Elixir, Goblin Soothsayer, Mogg Alarm, Ember Hauler worth thinking about too. I also mistook your Goblin Wizard for a Goblin Pyromancer.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:12 pm

Took apart everything except for Slivers. I will likely be building some newer ones focusing on a more casual experience with regards to where I'm taking the majority of my collection, but Slivers is all for now.
whisper words of wisdom

RedNihilist
Tire Aficionado

Postby RedNihilist » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:23 pm

Checkbox go back playing Mafia wtf.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:29 pm

I'm a bum and took apart everything except Sliver Overlord.
whisper words of wisdom

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Let me guess - come January you'll take apart everything except the Slivers?

Also,
Checkbox go back playing Mafia wtf.
҉

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:14 am

Bahaha I totally forgot I had already posted that.

Also, do you actually miss me in Mafia? or do you just need players and since I played once or twice you are re-recruiting me
whisper words of wisdom

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:46 pm

Also, do you actually miss me in Mafia? or do you just need players and since I played once or twice you are re-recruiting me
You were a decent player. Maybe I wouldn't miss you if we had lots of players, but yeah, I miss you.
҉

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:53 pm

Hivelord is best lord

DarthStabber
Tire Aficionado

Postby DarthStabber » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:12 pm

Sidewinder sliver isn't bad if you are lacking in the evasion needed to get through unmolested, and has a fantastic synergy with two headed sliver (they have to block with two creatures and both of them get -1/-1). If you are reliably unblocked he sucks.

If you really need another haymaker/"evasion sharer" try Lure, or anything along those lines, it gives everything else evasion.
thanks to nbw for the sig.
You do need to try to gay it up a little more.

You're like the least gay member of this clan.

And that's counting the fact that you voluntarily have sex with men.

Return to “Multiplayer Commander Decklists”