Font of Ire

Moderator: rezombad

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Font of Ire

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:13 pm

SCG has a few articles up hyping it as the control killer which is better then Skullcrack... but I just can't see it - IMO its an overpriced spell, the fact that you need to pay 2 to cast it is already annoying but its trigger cost just make it completely horrible. If it was 3cc to trigger like shrine it would of been ok but at 4cc it ends up competing with spells like WLH and Chandra while not even triggering or supporting YP$ tokens or Chandra's Phoenix.

I'll like to know how many of you guys actually like this card and why?

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Yeah, the Shrine comparison is a good one. Even if Shrine rarely got over 5 damage, it still forced your opponent to play faster than they wanted to. This is expensive and easier to play around. It's better than Lava Axe (mostly in that it's harder to counter), but not by much...
҉

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:39 pm

Shrine had inevitability and a lower activation cost on its side. This is more akin to a most costly Seal of Fire than Shrine.

Is the control matchup for red really contingent on whether you have 6 free mana over up to 2 turns?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Card looks unplayable.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:22 pm

4 of in a deck? No. 1 or 2 of? Yes.

yurp yurp

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:10 pm

We already have Trouble vs any deck where we'd want this kind of effect. We just aren't hurting on lava ax type effects.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:14 pm

In a strict burn shell, sure TT is better. If you played big red 2 seasons ago and a build deck similar to that playstyle, Font is good as a 1 or 2 of.

yurp yurp

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:14 pm

MDU asked me to post my opinion here, even though I consider myself terrible evaluating cards I haven't tested ;-)

I'd tend to think of it as a ***potential*** SB Card vs. Control and the mirror. I view it more as a 4cc card that does 5 to the face only - main reason being that we have no real 2-drops in the deck, so I definitely wouldn't mind opening t1 tapland t2 Font. 4 mana is a lot, so I like it better post-board when we (I) have 24 land available. It's probably weaker than T/T, so question is whether we will have room for it in our SBs. If control becomes dominating, probably yes - if the meta stays balanced (which is what I believe), then no.
MTGO handle: Clemens268

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:32 pm

I don't think this card is playable at all, and comparisons to Shrine of Burning Rage are inaccurate to me.

In a creature-centric red list, I'd rather just play more dudes instead of diluting my deck with this kind of effect that isn't relevant until turn four and doesn't develop my board state. In a spell-centric red list, I'd rather just play more burn spells than run out an enchantment in an enchantment-themed block where the decks we'd want this effect against (control) will be maindecking enchantment removal (Detention Sphere, Revoke Existence, Banishing Light).
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Return to “New Card Talk & Future Brews”