UR Izzet Wizards (JOU)

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

zenbitz
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

UR Izzet Wizards (JOU)

Postby zenbitz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:41 pm

I made this kind of for fun... but it actually wins in testing. I posted it in the "Competative: Control" forum (under izzet control, but it's neither competitive or really control nor does any one read that thread).

[deck]
Value Generators
4 Battlefield Thaumaturge
4 Young Pyromancer

Token-boosters
4 Rapid Hybridization
3 Hour of Need
1 Curse of the Swine

Control
3 Turn // Burn
4 Magma Jet
2 Izzet Charm
4 Counterflux
4 Flames of the Firebrand
1 AEtherling
1 Syncopate

CA
2 Bident of Thassa
1 Steam Augury

Lands
4 Steam Vents
4 Temple of Epiphany
2 Mutavault
4 Island
5 Mountain
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard
2 Gainsay
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Frostburn Weird
1 Steam Augury
2 Act of Treason
4 Electrickery
[/deck]

This is basically a pyro-control shell with spells that turn your 1/1s into bigger guys (or sometimes turn off some huge guy or a guy
with wretched text that you hate, or some guy you need to exile).

Getting 3 4/4 flyers for [mana]UUU1[/mana] at instant speed is boss. It's also clanky. Curse of the Swine for [mana]UU[/mana] with X=infinity is also a fun time, although since your deck can't actually beat 2/2s really mostly just "double yur tokens".

A bunch of tokens (any size) backed by countermagic and bident is actually pretty good against control, if they tap out you can make sphinx's and win.

The deck has trouble stabilizing against weenies, because I didn't put in Anger of the Gods

HOWEVER, I think thurmaturge isn't really good enough to play (at least in this deck). Other than the multiple targets, it's a bad goblin electromancer

That said - Pyro Izzet has impressed me enough to try to make a go of it post rotation, but I am not sure if I should take it more in a controll-y direction or burn-y direction (
Chandra+Pheonecians). Or possibly adding Master of Waves/Thassa and some devotion (Keranos, too?)

I also have avoided splashing white (Boros Charm) or black... but I guess if it really makes the deck better I will.

Return to “Archives”