B/R aggro

Moderator: rezombad

warwizard87
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

B/R aggro

Postby warwizard87 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:17 am

possible deck idea based on MBC and some of the spoiled cards.

[deck]
Sorcery (4)
4x Thoughtseize

Instant (4)
4x Lightning Strike

Creature (29)
2x Desecration Demon
4x Gnarled Scarhide
4x Herald of Torment
3x Lifebane Zombie
4x Pain Seer
4x Rakdos Cackler
4x Spike Jester
4x Tormented Hero

Land (23)
4x Blood Crypt
4x Mana Confluence
4x Mutavault
7x Swamp
4x Temple of Malice

Sideboard (15)
1x Bile Blight
3x Burning Earth
2x Dark Betrayal
3x Erebos, God of the Dead
2x Gift of Orzhova
1x Lifebane Zombie
3x Ultimate Price[/deck]

12 one drops, haste 2 drop, dark confident light 2 drop, 7 evasive 3 drops, a 2 big powerful finishers. seems a good place to start.

other options
Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch: she is big she is bad and she has haste, not having evasion sucks but she is worth a look.

[card]Heros
Downfall[/card]: one of the best removal in the format, not sure if Id rather have burn or this.

Magma Jet: 2nd best 1R burn spell in the format.

Nightvail Spector: I think he is better in control but worth the topic spot.

Mizzium Mortars: Kills blood barron....nuff said.

StormBreath Dragon: what else to say about this guy? he is big, mean, hasty, pro white flyer, the double red might make him not so good in this deck though.

Duress: seems fine vs burn, esper, and MBC worth a look.

Skullcrack: could be worth it, Erebos might be better in the long run.

[cards]Underworld connections/Read the Bones[/cards]: could be good in some match ups, mabey.

[card]Toil//Trouble[/card]: This is a great side or even main deck possibility.

[card]Chandra,
Pyromaster[/card]: could she make it here? the best plainswalker in T2 the double red makes it hard, will the mana base hold her?

Mogis, God of Slaughter: seems like he could fit, he wont ever really get turned on but his -2 a turn can be brutal vs MBC or esper, though he fights for a slot with Erebos.

DreadBore: sorcery speed easier to cast Downfall.

[card]Rakdos's Return[/card]: could be a option vs some of the midrange decks in the format.

Slaughter Games: Interesting option vs decks with verdict and revelation.
I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:48 am

I think the deck would be MUCH better just being pure black.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:40 am

I think the deck would be MUCH better just being pure black.
possibly, I just like red for access to sideboard cards and burn.
I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:06 pm

Something I'm considering:

[deck]
Creatures (27)
4 Tormented Hero
4 Gnarled Scarhide
4 Pain Seer
4 Spiteful Returned
4 Mogis's Warhound
4 Herald of Torment
3 Agent of the Fates

Spells (11)
4 Thoughtseize
4 Lightning Strike
3 Dreadbore

Lands (22)
4 Mutavault
4 Temple of Malice
4 Blood Crypt
3 Mana Confluence
7 Swamp
[/deck]

Mogis's Warhound and Dreadbore are the real reasons to be in red. T2 Pain Seer into T3 bestow with Warhound is a VERY powerful line.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:04 am

Didn't even notice the warhound. Neat.

Also holy crap 1bb 5/5 is nuts

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:14 pm

I really like that brew, Vald

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Is warhound really better than Firebreathing Eidolon?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:57 pm

As a purely aggressive pick the Everflame Eidolon might be better vs teams that are light on removal for sure

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:22 am

But you're only running 11 red sources. This is a black heavy list. Not to mention the static +1/+1 advantage.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:27 am

Agent should be Cackler too. And the fourth Cackler could be subbed in for a Lightning Strike or Spiteful Returned.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:32 am

I was reading some SCG articles and I came across this:

[deck=Patrick Chapin's Mono-Black Aggro]Creatures (29)
4 Lifebane Zombie
1 Mogis's Marauder
4 Pain Seer
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Tormented Hero
4 Brain Maggot
4 Gnarled Scarhide
4 Herald of Torment

Lands (22)
18 Swamp
4 Mutavault

Spells (9)
4 Hero's Downfall
1 Ultimate Price
4 Thoughtseize

Sideboard (15)
4 Dark Betrayal
4 Doom Blade
3 Pharika's Cure
4 Duress[/deck]

IF burns dies out a little couldn't deck has some real game? 8x Hard Discard MD + 4x Duress SB seems quite strong no? Hell with Cure and Duress postboard maybe burn could be decent.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:18 pm

MBA is the deck I'm going to be on post-rotation. I love the 12 one drops, and have high hopes for Brain Maggot, but this deck is seriously clunky at 3CMC. You can't treat Herald as a 5 drop all the time...

I think voltroning up a Lifebane Zombie is going to be sweet, Gnarled Scarhide does a lot of work.

I could see cutting the Marauder from this list for a maindeck Pharika's Cure. I do love Marauder though, you can definitely jam all 4 depending on how much other 3CMC stuff you have.

I think playing 22 land is a tad greedy, as is the full set of Mutavault.

These MBA sideboards are the best. Duress? Check. Dark Betrayal? Check. Doom Blade? Check. We're ready to go!

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:11 pm

What is so impressive with brain maggot. When it is killed it gives card back, plus 1/1 isnt good body to begin with.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:17 pm

Its good against decks with minimal removal - like for instant Wb, Ux, Dredge, monsters, GW and all those midrange decks people like so much (TS, Maggot, LBZ..... green/white is almost going too be a bye).

It also forces people to target the maggot while cards like Pain Seer can roam free.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:02 pm

What is so impressive with brain maggot. When it is killed it gives card back, plus 1/1 isnt good body to begin with.
It's a tempo play. It allows you to get ahead on board early by nabbing a card from the opponent's hand and potentially screwing up their curve all while having another creature. If they want the card back, they have to use a removal spell on your dinky 1/1 instead of the Spike Jester or suited up Pain Seer you've been jamming down their throat.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:51 pm

So is mono black or Rakdos better?

The real reason for the red splash is Spike Jester, Dreadbore, and Mogis's Warhound. Of course, Hero's Downfall is a more expensive Dreadbore at instant speed that can kill Master of Waves, but one mana makes a big difference in an aggro deck like this. Spike Jester is the biggest draw to red as it allows you to just win games when curving out with a one drop, which is much more likely to happen now that black has access to three two-power one drops. Mogis's Warhound provides a nice pseudo three-drop to suit a dude up with and is especially attractive on a Pain Seer, but is it necessary? Splashing red means running 2-4 Mana Confluence which is a big deal when paired with Pain Seer and Thoughtseize. That's a lot of damage to be taking.

Mono black may be the way to go. I think Brain Maggot is mandatory to be able to deal with problem cards like Blood Baron or anything from Naya
Hexproof, but it's a great tempo play on its own.

If the deck splashes red, I think it needs to be very light to cut down on the number of Mana Confluence the deck has to run.

[deck]
Creatures (28)
4 Tormented Hero
4 Gnarled Scarhide
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Pain Seer
4 Spike Jester
2 Brain Maggot
2 Spiteful Returned
4 Herald of Torment

Spells (10)
4 Thoughtseize
4 Dreadbore
2 Hero's Downfall

Lands (22)
4 Mutavault
4 Blood Crypt
4 Temple of Malice
2 Mana Confluence
8 Swamp

Sideboard (15)
4 Duress
1 Dark Betrayal
4 Pharika's Cure
2 Gift of Orzhova
4 Peak Eruption
[/deck]

I think this is where I want to be.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:37 pm

I dont really get why you are so ezcited with brain magot. I will say it again. How do you even have spot for this creature and what are ypu cutting for it? Most of the time you are forced to take removal as they could just kill magot to get the other card back. It isnt tidehollow sculler, which has 2 power and an exile a card complete,ly.

You are saying you take removal so they cant target your pain seer. When do you even cast your pain seer then? Remember you can still kill in response so you dont even look in my hand(I think. Similar as killijg banisher priest targeting token in response).

You really think 1/1 for 2 is going to be good vs gw? Yes you take card but you cant attack or block with it, so this is basicly 1/1. It isnt lifebane zombie or sin collector to be good vs creature/spell decks.

Also isnt gw bad matchup for your deck to begin with? Almost every creature is stomped by theirs, and most of the
time removal kills same cmc or lover, so you loose tempo. Also dont forget that green received their sweeper in thos set. We dont even know if gw is going to be good, currently top 3 decks are black, uw and mono blue. Vs uw and black magot is quite bad, while va mono u it acts as removal that can be domesticated.

I still dont know why you want to play it instead of pain seer, spike jester, pack rat, assassin or spiteful returned. Every other card from this list is plainly better.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:43 pm

I dont really get why you are so ezcited with brain magot. I will say it again. How do you even have spot for this creature and what are ypu cutting for it? Most of the time you are forced to take removal as they could just kill magot to get the other card back. It isnt tidehollow sculler, which has 2 power and an exile a card complete,ly.
You need to reread Tidehollow Sculler. It does not exile a card permanently unless you do some stack tricks.

I'm not sure what your exception with the card is. Perhaps you are having difficulty with understanding the gain in tempo you receive from playing the card. Imagine the following scenario:

I'm on the play against GR Monsters and play Rakdos Cackler and Pain Seer on my
first two turns. Opponent plays two lands and a Caryatid. On my third turn, I cast Brain Maggot and see a hand with Polukranos, Mizzium Mortars, Stormbreath Dragon, and three lands. My hand consists of Herald of Torment, Dreadbore, Spiteful Returned, and a Temple of Malice. Which card do you take?

If your answer was Mizzium Mortars, you got it wrong. The pick is actually Polukranos. Now my opponent has only one choice for his turn three play: Mortars my Brain Maggot to get back Polukranos (assuming he doesn't topdeck another one). That is a HUGE tempo play because instead of being able to play his fatty to block my guys down he has to waste another entire turn killing my 1/1 while I get in for additional damage AND gain value from Pain Seer. Not to mention that if he topdecks a Courser to play on turn three I have the removal spell in hand ready to go!
You are saying you take removal so they cant target your pain seer. When do you even cast your pain seer then? Remember you can still
kill in response so you dont even look in my hand(I think. Similar as killijg banisher priest targeting token in response).
Trigger still resolves, so you look at the hand. The card you choose to take simply goes back to the player's hand immediately.

When you cast Pain Seer is entirely matchup and hand dependent. It would take an exhaustive amount of thought to list all the possible permutations.
You really think 1/1 for 2 is going to be good vs gw? Yes you take card but you cant attack or block with it, so this is basicly 1/1. It isnt lifebane zombie or sin collector to be good vs creature/spell decks.
Against GW decks that generally lack hard removal spells, it's a 1 for 1. I don't see why you couldn't play both Brain Maggot AND Lifebane Zombie, but it is interesting that Maggot can take Selesnya Charm and Advent of the Wurm whereas Lifebane Zombie cannot.
Also isnt gw bad matchup for your deck to begin with? Almost every
creature is stomped by theirs, and most of the time removal kills same cmc or lover, so you loose tempo. Also dont forget that green received their sweeper in thos set. We dont even know if gw is going to be good, currently top 3 decks are black, uw and mono blue. Vs uw and black magot is quite bad, while va mono u it acts as removal that can be domesticated.
A deck with so many bestow creatures, Thoughtseize, Brain Maggot, Dreadbore, and Hero's Downfall ought to be pretty well positioned against GW. I don't think the matchup would be OMGAWESOME in game one but I would conservatively say it should be 55-60% preboard.
I still dont know why you want to play it instead of pain seer, spike jester, pack rat, assassin or spiteful returned. Every other card from this list is plainly better.
Hopefully now you understand.

Gigex
Newcomer

Postby Gigex » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 pm

@ Val, I like the list. But shouldn't spiteful returned be Mogis's Warhound? U already have the Scarhide to bestow at cmc 4, the warhound gives you more options on t3. Also, I'm really curious to try out Tormented thoughts. In a deck with bestow creatures it seems like it can do some damage. Bestow a warhound on a cackler,sac the cackler to make ur opponent discard 4? And ur still left with the creature! How about this:

[deck]
Creatures
4 Gnarled Scarhide
4 Tormented Hero
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Pain Seer
4 Spike Jester
4 Mogis's Warhound
4 Herald of Torment

Other Spells
4 Thoughtseize
4 Dreadbore
2 Tormented Thoughts

Lands
4 Mutavault
4 Temple of Malice
4 Blood Crypt
2 Mana Confluence
8 Swamp
[/deck]

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:13 pm

@ Val, I like the list. But shouldn't spiteful returned be Mogis's Warhound? U already have the Scarhide to bestow at cmc 4, the warhound gives you more options on t3. Also, I'm really curious to try out Tormented thoughts. In a deck with bestow creatures it seems like it can do some damage. Bestow a warhound on a cackler,sac the cackler to make ur opponent discard 4? And ur still left with the creature! How about this:

[deck]
Creatures
4 Gnarled Scarhide
4 Tormented Hero
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Pain Seer
4 Spike Jester
4 Mogis's Warhound
4 Herald of Torment

Other Spells
4 Thoughtseize
4 Dreadbore
2 Tormented Thoughts

Lands
4 Mutavault
4 Temple of Malice
4 Blood Crypt
2 Mana Confluence
8 Swamp
[/deck]
It may or may not need to
be Warhound. As I stated in an early post, two drop into bestowed Warhound is big, but Spiteful Returned is easier on the mana base. The greedy person in me says go with Warhound, especially if it's only a two-of.

I haven't thought about Tormented Thoughts yet, but I feel like it belongs in a more midrange build or something with Master of Feasts. If we're splashing red we have to ask ourselves if Rakdos's Return is just better.

Gigex
Newcomer

Postby Gigex » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Fair point. But I not sure how good RR gonna be on 22 lands.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:35 pm

Probably as good as Tormented Thoughts to be honest. For TT to be better, you need to have a bestowed creature AND be willing to sacrifice it AND have an opponent with a nearly full grip. The earliest that all is going to happen is turn four if you are playing Mogis's Warhound, and that's Magical Christmasland assuming you have it and TT and have had the enchanted creature survive! Not to mention I'd hate to topdeck TT on an empty board when I'm looking for action.

I'd only want that kind of effect against burn since our other matchups where we'd want the effect are already favorable. Even then, I'd rather just play Brain Maggot against burn. It's a real beating for them. In fact my sideboard should completely eschew Peak Eruption and opt to complete the playset of Brain Maggot because of how good it is against them.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:40 pm

You are saying you take removal so they cant target your pain seer. When do you even cast your pain seer then? Remember you can still kill in response so you dont even look in my hand(I think. Similar as killijg banisher priest
targeting token in response).
Trigger still resolves, so you look at the hand. The card you choose to take simply goes back to the player's hand immediately.
This is incorrect. If someone is dumb enough to toss a removal spell at the maggot in response to the ETB trigger, here's the stack.

Remove card from hand
Removal

After the creature dies.

Remove card from hand
Return the card to hand

So, the card, which hasn't been chosen yet, is "returned". Now they resolve the exile effect and the card is permenantly gone. It's the old fiend hunter trick. So, in other words, if your opponent only has one removal in hand, he's screwed as you can just take it from him or he can kill your dinky 1/1 and get "thoughtsiezed".

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:50 pm

Is there a difference in wording between Fiend Hunter and Banisher Priest? Yes there is. That doesn't work anymore.
҉

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:52 pm

You are saying you take removal so they cant target your pain seer. When
do you even cast your pain seer then? Remember you can still kill in response so you dont even look in my hand(I think. Similar as killijg banisher priest targeting token in response).
This is incorrect. If someone is dumb enough to toss a removal spell at the maggot in response to the ETB trigger, here's the stack.

Remove card from hand
Removal

After the creature dies.

Remove card from hand
Return the card to hand

So, the card, which hasn't been chosen yet, is "returned". Now they resolve the exile effect and the card is permenantly gone. It's the old fiend hunter trick. So, in other words, if your opponent only has one removal in hand, he's screwed as you can just take it from him or he can kill your dinky 1/1 and get "thoughtsiezed".
Read the card again. It doesn't work that way.

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:05 pm

https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/ ... tg/faq/jou

Brain Maggot
1 Mana Black Mana
Enchantment Creature — Insect
1/1

When Brain Maggot enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals his or her hand and you choose a nonland card from it. Exile that card until Brain Maggot leaves the battlefield.

Brain Maggot's ability causes a zone change with a duration, a new style of ability that's somewhat reminiscent of older cards like Tidehollow Sculler. However, unlike Tidehollow Sculler, Brain Maggot has a single ability that creates two one-shot effects: one that exiles the nonland card when the ability resolves, and another that returns the exiled card to its owner's hand immediately after Brain Maggot leaves the battlefield.

If Brain Maggot leaves the battlefield before its enters-the-battlefield ability resolves, the opponent will reveal his
or her hand, but no card will be exiled.

The exiled card returns to its owner's hand immediately after Brain Maggot leaves the battlefield. Nothing happens between the two events, including state-based actions.

In a multiplayer game, if Brain Maggot's owner leaves the game, the exiled card will return to its owner's hand. Because the one-shot effect that returns the card isn't an ability that goes on the stack, it won't cease to exist along with the leaving player's spells and abilities on the stack.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:10 pm

Ah. Missed the "until" part. Clever, Wotc, clever. My mistake.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Deck has won a few online JOU tournies

[deck]
2 Skullcrack
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Dreadbore
2 Prophetic Flamespeaker
3 Young Pyromancer
3 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
3 Thrill-Kill Assassin
4 Chandra's Phoenix