"How did I do?": Pile A versus Pile B general

Discussions about the secondary market for Magic Cards. What's Hot? What has fallen from grace?

Moderator: Thrillho

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

"How did I do?": Pile A versus Pile B general

Postby Thrillho » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:05 pm

Howdy Market Street patron!
Do you often make trades but wonder whether or not you go the better end of the deal? Did you forget your smartphone while making a trade? Did you settle on using a metric you're unfamiliar with or that isn't strictly market value-based? Just want to have additional sets of eyes to double-check your math? Then, welcome!

In this thread, feel free to post trades you've participated in and see how you did (if you won, lost or had an even-steven trade). Some basic ground rules are in order, though:
1. If you're evaluating someone's trade, please quote the original post they made so everyone else knows what you're referencing. This is also of particular importance if you're evaluating multiple trades in a single post.
2. If you're posting a trade evaluation that you know you came out ahead on (or the one-sidedness is very obvious), PLEASE
RECONSIDER. While it's great you totally ranched someone and stole absurd value from someone who has no idea what their cards are worth, taking advantage of their kindness/lack of knowledge, I don't like to masturbate in public and neither should you.
3. If your trades are simple (ie Pile A: Island versus Pile B: Forest), there's a new website they've been beta testing called Google that can easily answer your question; keep trades either more complex, with cards that are rare, hard to find, or just very large in quantity that are not easily evaluated with a cursory trip to eBay, MKM, TCGPlayer, SCG, or MOTL.
4. If you're evaluating prices using a specific metric, please *CITE WHAT METRIC YOU'RE GETTING VALUES THROUGH*. If, for example, you're speculating that Island is currently undervalued, so the person getting Island from Pile A made out like a bandit, but currently Island is less than Forest on most available sources, please make sure you point that out over the course of your trade evaluation.

Return to “Market Street Café”