All In The Blood Moon.

Other developing decks

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

ClayQ
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

All In The Blood Moon.

Postby ClayQ » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:57 am

Lots of decks locally playing combo. In the last three Modern tourneys I've only encountered 1 deck that runs enough basics to survive a Blood Moon. And thus my brain child was born.

[deck]
Creatures (22)
4 Goblin Guide
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Ash Zealot
4 Blood Knight
2 Hellspark Elemental
4 Simian Spirit Guide

Burn (12)
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Magma Jet

Permanents (6)
4 Blood Moon
2 Shrine of Burning Rage

Land (20)
20 Mountian

Sideboard
3 Torpor Orb
3 Smash to Smithereens
2 Shrine of Burning Rage
5 Flex
[/deck]

Essentially it's an All In Aggro deck typically using the spirit guides for 2 x 2/2's on turn 1 or a turn 2 blood moon. While they are terrible top decks that's the gambit.

I'm not entirely certain, how I feel on the Hellspark and Magma jet counts. Going to be playing the deck in a couple hours should have a slightly better feel after the Tuesday
night magic. Any input or ideas would be appreciated. Feel like I need more 1 drops, and that Blood Knight might almost be too cute mainboard. (Made the meta choice for tonight based on card availability and the fact that the one deck I encountered that could survive the blood moon effectively was a GW weenie.)

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:16 am

Any reason why you aren't playing Magus of the Moon aswell? Gotta have that sweet redundancy.

ClayQ
Newcomer

Postby ClayQ » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:27 am

Don't own it, although I have considered Acquiring it, local shop has none or it'd probably go in tonight.

Its also slightly easier to deal with, few decks are ready for a game one Blood Moon. Followed by a game 2 all in agro.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:34 am

Small burn isn't what you want in this deck. I've built many iterations of mono red Blood Moon before, and you need a fat finisher that rewards your mono Mountain land base. Run Koth, profit. You want him every game so 3-4.

Shrine is good, but you really want it early so 4x is right number. I ran 4 in the side and swapped it in for grinder matchups.

You neglected to tell us what type of combo is in your meta. Twin or Storm? Blood Moon barely touches them. Ad Nauseam? Shreds them apart.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:48 am

Here's the last version I was brewing on before the Boros bug got me.

[deck]Modern Mono Red[/deck]

Attack with ALL the lands. Or just abuse Koth for bonfires. Or abuse Koth for giant flyers.

ClayQ
Newcomer

Postby ClayQ » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:07 am

Only twin deck I've seen was my grixis twin.

Multiple Vigor primetime and ad naus lightning storm Two Living End I've seen for combo.

Two fairies running about 5 basics from what I can guess. I've seen a zoo deck and a couple ??? Jund. Ihhaven't played the jund decks so not sure if its cripling or not. Its a pet deck, feel it'll have some moderate sucess

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:16 am

Blood Moon poops on Jund and Zoo, with ancillary value against Affinity. The only decks it's a blank against is Merfolk and Soul Sisters, and straight red burn.

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:04 am

Here's what I want to test next time I play Modern (emphasis on test);

[deck]All in Moon[/deck]
Avanlanche Riders probably isn't good, but I want to snipe basics. If the game goes particularly long, he can pick up a sword. I've had good success with Koth before, and he can sure but a game away while the opponent flounders.

Pardic Dragon was close to unplayable in MMA , but gets better when the opponent can't cast spells? Having something to do T2 is always good. Probably should be Kargan Dragonlord or Shrine of Burning Rage, or even Ash Zealot?

I knew I'd be playing Magus of the Moon and Simian Spirit Guide, so wanted Sword of War and Peace to suit up my Gray Ogres. In an ideal world the opponent has a full hand from being unable to cast spells, and protection from red seems very relevant under a Blood Moon.

I've been looking for an excuse to play Bonfire though, so will probably sleeve up Ham's list if this falls on it's face. What's the plan against decks where Blood Moon isn't where we want to be? I feel like the weakness of this deck is how many crap cards its playing when Moon isn't good.

Toblakai

Postby Toblakai » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:09 am

I've heard Skred talked up as a possible response to Twin decks. With that in mind, here's my take on a moonless...what should we call it?

[deck]Moonless Blood Moon[/deck]

I'm not sure on the planeswalker counts. 4 Koth to 1 Chandra might work better since I only want to see her later in the game.

Or, you can try the classic

[deck]Banefire.dek[/deck]

This one
appeared back in 2012, and originally used Disintegrate and Molten Rain in place of Banefire and Blood Moon, respectively. I would probably use Eidolon of the Great Revel over Grimmy, or do a split of the two.

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:15 pm

Toblakai

Postby Toblakai » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:15 am

Now that we have ten fetches available in Modern, I can't help but wonder if Blood Moon will lose some of its power. Now our opponents can crack them for basics in response to the Moon while still having fetches left over to grab nonbasics once the Moon is dealt with. Is Moltensteel Dragon too fragile for Modern? I've enjoyed using it in Dragon Stompy (songless version of the build), and 4/4 flying for 4 seems good. Especially if you play it smart and pick off anti-artifact creatures like Pridemage.

If Moon isn't working, bring in Molten Rain.

Return to “Developing”