Jund Aggro

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Jund Aggro

Postby TBuzzsaw » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:40 am

[deck]
Creatures
4 Experiment One
4 Spike Jester
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Dreg Mangler
2 Boon Satyr
1 Herald of Torment
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
3 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
3 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells
1 Xenagos, the Reveler
3 Domri Rade
2 Dreadbore
1 Ultimate Price
2 Golgari Charm

Lands
4 Blood Crypt
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Malice
4 Temple of Abandon
2 Mutavault
1 Forest
1 Swamp

Sideboard
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Erebos, God of the Dead
2 Lifebane Zombie
2 Doom Blade
2 Golgari Charm
1 Dreadbore
4 Thoughtseize
2 Dark Betrayal[/deck]

- So far the eight tap lands have not been a problem in such a fast deck. In the dozens of play testing matches, I've only had mana problems (not having the right colors) 5-10% of the time.
- The deck performed amazingly in testing against UW Control, Mono B, Mono U, and GR Monsters. Specifically against Mono B and control, there's
just too many haste targets and not enough removal.
- Normally against aggro decks Mono B will side in Drown in Sorrow, but that card can whiff against my creatures since they have big butts. Their removal package also gets messed up. Doom Blade and Ultimate Price hits very little creatures, Dark Betrayal hits only half my creatures, and Bile Blight misses Exava and Stormbreath.
- Golgari Charm is an all-star in nearly all the matchups. In my meta full of control, I like this swiss army knife that can get rid of D-Sphere and save my creatures from Verdict. Against Mono U it gets rid of Master of Waves, Domestication, and Bident. Against Mono B I can target Whip and Underworld, along with regenerating from a removal. GR Monsters is where the deck isn't as good, but it can get rid of overextended mana dorks and serves as a kill spell for Courser of Kruphix.
- Experiment One left unchecked can go up to a 4/4.
- With Rampager, Mangler, Herald, and Boon Satyr, all my guys have potential to take down the
biggest threats in the format utilizing Bloodrush/Scavenge/Bestow.

I really hope someone can play around with this list and maybe make suggestions and improve on it.

2/27 Event Testing Result: 5-0, all going 2-0. The one change I can already think of is replace the Dreadbore in the sideboard for a Mortars.

Midnight_v

Color me impressed.

Postby Midnight_v » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:12 pm

I just saw it in the other thread, so I said "what the hell, I'm on cockatrice this morning I'll test it" I've only run a few solo games, but its games seems good enough so I'm gonna try some regular matches now.
I like it. I'm normally afraid to lose to bad mana but it seems pretty damned concistent, after I learned to prioritize g over red as the first land drop. What I don't understand is the thought to remove dreadbore against what deck is it weaker than mortars?

Also I used the regenerate form of charm to win a big combat swing or to. I was playing some golgari for a while but this is pretty hot. I'm suprised to see Zer0 mistcutters, anywhere in that list though. Headed online now...

*Game 1 vs B/W control.
Game 1: I curved perfectly. Wow.
Game 2: I drew 9 lands and 4 spells.
Game 3: I went Exp 1. Domri, Xenagos, and he removed them all, I played another Domri, he
played his 3rd downfall. I eventually got an ooze with a herald on it and rod it home
Really he won but he conceded on the turn before dropping me to 1 and forgetting about my Herald of torment trigger.
"All your passive
aggressive bullshit doesn't make you smart, it makes you an asshole." - Lightning Dolt

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:17 am

Thanks for being another tester of this deck.

Yeah, Golgari Charm is amazing in this build. No one sees it coming in the mainboard, and it's relevant in every major match up. The Mortars in place of Dreadbore is just a thought. I faced a lot of white decks last night and I didn't like the look of several Soldier of the Pantheon or Blood Baron.

I forgot about Mistcutter. Maybe cut one Charm and Thoughtseize for two copies?

What did you think about Herald? Do you think it's better off as something else, like another Boon Satyr? What's your thoughts on the mana base?

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:43 am

Better mana base:

[deck]Lands
4 Blood Crypt
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Stomping Ground
3 Temple of Malice
3 Temple of Abandon
2 Golgari Guildgate
2 Mutavault
1 Forest
1 Swamp[/deck]

I took this deck to the finals on Game Day but lost to GR Monsters when I mana flooded.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:34 pm

More changes after this weekend:

[deck]
Creatures
4 Experiment One
4 Spike Jester
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Dreg Mangler
3 Lifebane Zombie
2 Boon Satyr
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
3 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
3 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells
1 Xenagos, the Reveler
2 Dreadbore
2 Ultimate Price
2 Golgari Charm

Lands
4 Blood Crypt
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Stomping Ground
2 Temple of Malice
3 Temple of Abandon
1 Golgari Guildgate
2 Mutavault
1 Forest
3 Swamp

Sideboard
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Doom Blade
2 Golgari Charm
1 Dreadbore
4 Thoughtseize
2 Dark Betrayal[/deck]

I feel like I can drop Boon Satyr for something like Herald, Pack Rat, or something else in black, but I'm having a hard time wanting to drop him since he wins games for me. Domri was dropped all together because he was surprisingly ineffective in this deck.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:14 pm

And I was so glad jund was died after thragtusk rotated but here you guys are trying to revive it

boooo

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

Leto
Newcomer

Postby Leto » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:22 pm

This deck is awesome! I'll be trying it at my next local tourney. Just created an account so I could join the conversation : ) Have any of you tried Fanatic of Xenagos in this build? Seems he could fit, no? I'm asking since Lifebane Zombies are the only cards from the list posted that I don't own...

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:32 am

New sideboard:

[deck]
2 Ruric Thar, The Unbowed
2 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Doom Blade
1 Golgari Charm
1 Dreadbore
3 Thoughtseize
2 Dark Betrayal
1 Pithing Needle[/deck]

4-1-1 tonight finishing 4th tonight at FNM. Defeated Rakdos Humans, RW Devotion, Mono Black, and Conley Woods Dredge. Tied with GR Monsters when we were the only undefeated left. I lost the last round to the clumsiest guy I've ever met playing Mono Red, who literally started playing. It was a bad loss when I couldn't draw anything decent after mulling to 5 both games. He had to read all my cards, dropped cards from his hand and table onto the floor, and even scooped up my removal cards and placed them in his graveyard several times. I'm not sure how this guy managed to finish 2nd at all.

Today saw a weird surge of newbie red aggro players, so my sideboard was not ready for them when normally aggro makes up less than 5% of
the players in the last few weeks. Thoughtseize could have been more removal like Drown in Sorrow, but I expect things to back to normal with a high number of control by next week.

As of right now my record stands undefeated against Mono B, Mono U, and UW Control. I have a high win percentage against red based aggro. 50/50 against GR Monsters, and no wins against BW Midrange. Overall I have about a 75-80% win percentage.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:37 am

This deck is awesome! I'll be trying it at my next local tourney. Just created an account so I could join the conversation : ) Have any of you tried Fanatic of Xenagos in this build? Seems he could fit, no? I'm asking since Lifebane Zombies are the only cards from the list posted that I don't own...
He was in my original build but I didn't like that my opponent got to choose its mode. The majority of the time I want it to swing in with haste, but tribute was always paid only to die to removal next turn. I wanted something else that had value even when it doesn't get to attack, so Lifebane Zombie made it in, not to mention GR Monsters is seeing a LOT of play lately.

You can try out Fanatic, but fix the mana base accordingly.

Leto
Newcomer

Postby Leto » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:53 pm

He was in my original build but I didn't like that my opponent got to choose its mode. The majority of the time I want it to swing in with haste, but tribute was always paid only to die to removal next turn. I wanted something else that had value even when it doesn't get to attack, so Lifebane
Zombie made it in, not to mention GR Monsters is seeing a LOT of play lately.

You can try out Fanatic, but fix the mana base accordingly.
Yeah, after playing a few games, Fanatic is just...OK. I expected it to have better synergy with Exava, but I rarely got both in play at the same time. And the R and G mana requirements make it difficult on the mana, particularly because the removal spells require black mana. I'll find some LBZ ;)

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:35 am

I want to try something in place of the two Boon Satyrs I have in the mainboard to test out. I feel like I'm talking to myself most of the time in here, but I'd like some opinions on the options I'm considering:

[cards]Domri Rade[/cards]: I dismissed him earlier when I figured he wasn't a good fit in this deck. You figure a deck running 27 creatures can work, and maybe it can and I was dismissing it too quickly.
Courser of Cruphix: A card that works similar to Domri to smooth out some top decking better, but works as a wall against aggro. The problem is it sits there as a defender rather than going on the offense like the other creatures in the deck.
Herald of Torment: Seems like the obvious choice right? Maybe I'm just thinking too much, but he dies to much more different types of removal without getting to attack first compared to the
others. Either way it's a very good card, and it's still the front runner choice.
Pack Rat: Why not? It works well for the Mono Black aggro decks, why wouldn't it work here? It would be the #1 choice if the deck was running the full set of Mutavaults; however, it can't considering it's a three color deck.
Varolz, the Scar-Striped: An odd choice that might work. If the game goes a little late scavenging my early drops can fuel him. Regenerate is very important right now. Speaking of regenerate...
Lotleth Troll: I think it's a very underrated card, but it may not be the creature this deck needs.
Skarrg Guildmage: I recently looked at this card again and thought to myself how making a land into a 4/4 at instant speed can be useful, and turn my lands into a bigger third+ Mutavault/mana sink. Both abilities can be relevant.

Or I can just keep Boon Satyr. So far I'm leaning
towards Herald, Pack Rat, and Guildmage.

Kyarie
Newcomer

Postby Kyarie » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:38 pm

I played vs Jund last Friday and Domri was pretty effective when coupled with SBD and PolyK... He was running a more midrange than aggro slant though. You have the rampagers for post combat activation and if you get Varolz into the act, you will occasionally have awesome scavenged counters on things. I think Varolz and Lotleth go together as a package. Good synergy but you need to see how that pulls/warps your mana base...

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:52 am

After testing out all my options I'm going with Domri. Guildmage was amazeballs against control, and I put him in the sideboard in place of Thoughtseize. He won so many games on his own.
Herald is a very solid option overall, but I decided to go with Domri because with Guildmage getting sided in for control instead of Thoughtseize, I'm essentially adding more creatures for his +1 to work.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:30 am

4-2 tonight losing to Mud for the first time due to bad draws and my opponent nut drawing the third game. I also lost to GR Monsters badly to due to nut draws also. I won against another GR Monsters, one Golgari Midrange, Mono Black, and UW Control.

All I can say about the match with UW control is that siding in Skarrg Guildmage is AMAZING. He managed to deal more than 12+ life on his own in game two and three. Both times he had to get Verdicted (alone on the field) and D-Sphered to get rid of a dinky 2/2 doing big things. This deck is undefeated against control and I love it.

In a strange way GR Monsters is still a deck that concerns me. Even with all the removal and Lifebane in the the MB, I can't help but think it's still not enough. It's probably just me being pessimistic.

Return to “Archives”