[Variant] Blending RDW, Red Devotion, and Boros

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

kahmos
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

[Variant] Blending RDW, Red Devotion, and Boros

Postby kahmos » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:47 pm

I posted this in the standard deck creation subforum on mtgsalvation and got zero attention, therefore I thought I might as well share this list with you guys as I know there are red mages here who could appreciate my intentions with this list.

[Revised]
[DECK]Creatures (24)
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Fanatic of Mogis

Spells (14)
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Chained to the Rocks
3 Legion's Initiative

Lands (22)
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Sacred Foundry
14 Mountain

Sideboard
4 Skullcrack
4 Mizzium Mortars
3 Glare of Heresy
3 Boros Charm
1 Pithing Needle[/DECK]

I tried to blend the strategies of RDW and Red Devotion by introducing a focus card that would benefit both strategies, [card]Legion's Initiative[/
card]. The idea was that it would offer RDW and anthem effect, and Red Devotion a method of simultaneously protecting the board as well as being able to play multiple Fanatic of Mogis ETB effects without having to draw multiples of him. Having access to the best cards in the colors allow me to play more efficient direct damage spells as well as removal spells in a seemingly aggro design.

This list contains eight removal spells, seven anti board wipe cards, eight direct damage spells, and three anthems in the spell package.
These are supported by an RDW set of creatures with a total number of twenty three, with seven one drops, four two drops, eight three drops, and four four drops at the top of the curve.
Combined the decks curve is pretty low, allowing for twenty two lands with ten white sources for eleven white requiring spells. I dis-included Mutavaults for the lack of colorless mana in most of the cards of the deck, one might be able to be squeezed in over a mountain.

The sideboard are
as follows
Skullcrack for M(black)D, U/W
Mortars for G/W and B/W (blood baron)
Glare for just about everything except the mirror and MBD
Purphoros is iffy but I think he would go well in against non interactive decks such as mono blue and R/W Assemble the Legion
Pithing Needle just cause.
Last edited by kahmos on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:45 pm

Among other things, 2 guildgate is unnecessary, especially considering 4-of Boros Charm MD in a non-burn strategy seems awful - how are you planning on removing the creatures that get in the way of your 7 1-drops? Chained is literally your only out there, and more than half the time that white mana is coming into play tapped and disrupting your turn 2 or 3.

Keep in mind that by "blending" decks, you are only diluting the effectiveness of each strategy.

kahmos
Newcomer

Postby kahmos » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:05 pm

Magma Jet also serves to deal with low cmc creatures that might get in my way turn two, turn three however I expect it depends on the matchup. G/W aggro I'll be siding out for Mortars. Chains is meant to catch heavier creatures so I don't mind not being able to cast it too early.

Probably the worst matchup would be G/W aggro, which was already a tough match to begin with. The anthem though at least allows my creatures to trade or beat theirs in some situations, but not with Magma Jet versus blockers in that deck.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:06 pm

Among other things, 2 guildgate is unnecessary, especially considering 4-of Boros Charm MD in a non-burn strategy seems awful - how are you planning on removing the creatures that get in the way of your 7 1-drops? Chained is literally your only out there, and more than half the time that white mana is coming into play tapped and disrupting your turn 2 or 3.

Keep in mind that by "blending" decks, you are only diluting the effectiveness of each strategy.
I play 2 guildgates in my Walter White and it's fine. :shrug:

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:48 pm

The guildgates are fine. I play two in my Boros lists and I wouldn't dream of taking them out.

I don't like the Boros Charms. Lightning Strike is much more flexible here, plus you have LI to cover for board wipes.

I'm not a fan of LI personally but with Fanatic of Mogis it's a bit more appealing.

I would go down to three Chained to the Rocks mainboard. That would make room for your fourth Satyr.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

kahmos
Newcomer

Postby kahmos » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:53 am

I feel the same way about the Boros Charms lately, they certainly are not as flexible as Lightning Strike. I think they could go in the side however, at least two of them.
If I go to Lightning Strikes, I can imagine going to three Chained to the Rocks would work perfectly.
Thank you for your constructive criticism Val! ^_^

Edit: One thing, I only had seven one drops in my main as I was concerned about how many tap lands were in the deck (6) and felt that I would benefit more from a better top deck. I might reconsider leaving out the 4th Firedrinker for another card, maybe a single Boros Charm in the main, or the 4th chained... I am not sure.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:39 am

16 untapped red sources are plenty for your one drops. I run 15 in my list.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Return to “Archives”