Magic Mage Threads

lol

Moderators: Col. Khaddafi, iamabadman

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Kazekirimaru » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:11 am

For whatever reason, I'd like to become a human calculator or at least improve my math skills so that they kill.

Lately, I have simply been focusing on multiplication (inverse division, except I haven't done much division itself) memorizing tables and doing practise.

Back in primary school, I could do up to higher 2-digit by 2-digit or even 3-digit by 3-digit multiplication (while others were working with 0 - 10 * 0 - 10), but now I've just slowed down.

Any one a human calculator or have any pro tips (they'd be much appreciated)?

Corruption Watch

Postby Corruption Watch » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:48 am

For whatever reason, I'd like to become a human calculator or at least improve my math skills so that they kill.
SHUT UP IMBECILE

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:04 pm

I find the new site so unappealing that I can barely stand to check for funny shit.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:33 pm

Pardon?

Regarding the discussion at hand, what would be important to define is rock. What precisely is it? A good passage that I offer in response to this is from Simon & Schuster's 2001 The Rolling Stone Encyclop[e/ae?]dia of Rock & Roll. It essentially contends that there is tension between all eras of rock, and this tension that makes rock what it is; rock is the culmination of what is now tried and true (and generally commercial and popular), originally a derivative of (classical) rhythm and blues, gospel music, country and folk music, and what is unique, the avant-garde, which seeks to shake down conventions, with the new generations of rockers leaving indelible fingerprints on the formula of rock. As frequently as rock has been absorbing and mutating new ideas that make it edgier, tougher, and simpler, it is also absorbing things that apparently less rock.

I accept that rock as it is is no longer rock as
it was, but such is the nature of the universe; besides rock stars and all other things dying, things, such as tastes and technologies, are liable to change. Like language, music forms are liable to change. To hope for rock to remain rock as you understand it, which is not yet mature and leaves much to be desired, is to be like King Cnut.

You should realise that there are more rock bands than ever, and there are more rock songs now than before too; part of the apparent decline of rock is there is such competition that no band dominates and stands out.

Simply put, rock (or rock acts and their songs) is not as well represented on charts, though sometimes rock as a genre has its own chart (as do R&B, dance, etc. music). However, it is far from giving up the good fight.

As you are to your opinion of and preference for rock, others are to whatever else.

If you say so. To me, other genres often convey as much, if not more, emotion.

The only thing that makes me want to buy a real car and
sunglasses are Don Henley.

Um...

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:23 pm

what.
the.
actual.
fuck.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:03 pm

OMG that Don Henley punchline! Lulzor. If it weren't for the difficulty I'm having just getting to the site, I'd be tempted to gimmick up and ask her how she feels about karaoke.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:47 pm

please note i am not including what she quoted to reply to

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:56 pm

It's never mattered; she's always used other people only as a bouncing board for whateverthefuck she wants to blather about.

Neo Metal Sonic
Tire Aficionado

Postby Neo Metal Sonic » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:20 pm

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:59 am

There's a certain mad brilliance to these posts when read out of context.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:31 pm

I can't even begin to try to imagine how you feel or think, but I am, indeed, very sorry to hear this news, of your son's diagnosis of such an incredibly rare disease.

I am aware of AS, but I have no personal experience or exposure to it and, perhaps fortunately, have never observed any patients with the disease in the clinic.

I have no intention to rub you the wrong way, perhaps by saying something insincere or otherwise feigning something or by being condescending, but I sincerely wish you and your family well and all the very best and that Garrett has his health and a reasonable quality of life, all things considered and in spite of the disorder.

How heart-rending, but your son is the cutest little button that I have ever seen.

IIRC, actor Colin Farrell's son has Angelman as well.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:37 pm

The forums have too many words but not enough pictures, so I am hoping we could start sharing some of our original pictures/photos here.

I should be uploading some photos of food, beverages, or something in a while. I need to work out something with my camera phone first.
Edit: My supper is attached. It is a salad made from shredded iceberg lettuce, topped off with some mayo and garnished with a slice of orange.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:38 pm

(The OP was edited with a picture of a salad, and 2 weeks passed without one reply)

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:44 pm

Yes, indeed. I recall doing schooling in Australia and discussing multiple interpretations or readings of various racial issues a few decades ago; the song remains the same.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:47 pm

I considered replying (with the typical "I love my country and fear/am in awe of/question government within what's reasonable") and appreciate how productive it is to define 'country', but what does 'loving' one's country mean?

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:48 pm

Thank you for that reply. To define 'country' or an aspect of it is truly well and good, but what do you even mean by 'love'?

As a general comment, though anyone can see how it could be a comment on your reply, I abhor violent conflict and am baffled by the frequency that 'fight', 'die', etc. appear in discourse. Sorry for being from the Antipodes.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:49 pm

:magicmage:

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks for the interesting and evidently a thought-out response.

Till now, I thought I loved my country because I respected the national identity and culture, its laws, and whatnot. As I continued to think laterally and critically about this, I realised that there are other viewpoints and means of loving your country and I do none of those, at least for the purpose of loving my country. There is a subtle difference between loving your country and patriotism, and while I may do the former, I am no patriot. I get pride and being moved from within to do things, but it all has to be reasonable and not totally illogical, like dogma (even this might be considered dogma, though).

In terms of how I love my country, a Google search has yielded a wikiHow article on this ('How to Love Your Country'). Well, checking off things on that list,

I am an active citizen only because it benefits me and my community, I have never
conceptualized my being an active citizen as being for the country.
I have not studied the history of my country since a time before a time when people undertake SATs (two years before graduating?) and O Levels.
I take an interest in current affairs insofar as I can tolerate it all and if it interests me or is of public relevance.
I am being frank here, but the Antipodes have a short history and, besides the mythology of those that preceded us, there is not much in the way of stories, tall tales, and patriotic legends. In fact, of those that there are, most of them have been completely debunked, so that ruins them totally.
Equally disappointing, the countries haven't produced many heroes. To me, Rutherford and Florey, besides winning Nobels, did great things for the world and must be recognized for their contributions.
The rest I don't do. The last thing is largely because of demands of work and that good ol' work ethic. The penultimate thing is partially because I don't know where to buy a flag; its in-your-face and poor taste; I risk the flag being defaced or destroyed.
Definitely, I agree that paying taxes are important to the governance, administration and good functioning of the country, but could you ever simply see it as something you do and leave it at that?

Furthermore, (just asking and trying to think like you or anyone else who wants to answer; not cruising for a verbal bruising or a debate) at what point would you think national pride or love for country is unhealthy or excessive?

I think this 2010 article in Peace Review by a Michael Parenti may be interesting to read, but I have no expertise in this area (poli. sci.?) or of Peace Review. The author attempts to do something similar to this thread; that is, to define what is what is loving one's country, from which you can answer the question as a un-/qualified yes or no.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Quote from Umaro
Ladies, this is a topic for you.

I constantly am seeing facebook feeds from nearly all my women friends who happen to be also a bit on the plus side, and they are all, stuff like "awesome woman have curves" and "skinny bitches yada yada."

I'm just wondering, is this a thing? I mean, is there a large portion of women who just don't accept that there are also kind, awesome, smart, thinner women as well, who in fact may actually be very supportive of heavier set women and the challenges they face?

--

Firstly and to be totally straight-out, Facebook and all that are load of steaming crap. A lot of things that people think and do are also crap (but rest assured, that isn't true for people here).

Yeah, I don't know what really to say, other than, yes, women compliment each other but they can also be extremely catty towards one another.

The big-and-beautiful or fat-but-
fabulous empowerment thing is not something that resounds within me; however, I can understand why it be something in light of the attainment of the mythical and indeed romanticised size-0, often slagged for being unhealthy (not that your being obese is necessarily a great state for your health either).

A number of things have been said with which I can't agree with any more. In addition to this, there's an article that I read that could be of interest and be informative to you.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:01 pm

I had to include the quote, because it's the funniest thing I've ever read. A Magic player only knows fat women? So surprising.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:35 am

OMG, girl be on a roll! :rofl:

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:53 am

i like the part where she added australia to her global repertoire

rezombad
Tire Aficionado

Postby rezombad » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:08 pm

From the Vault: Magic Mage

"Perhaps I am not all that intelligent, perhaps compared to the vast majority of respondents at least, perhaps compared to everyone, but there are several things of more importance than one's intellect or intelligence, whatever these words mean. Such things include humility and other virtues (e.g., honesty) or character traits (e.g., affability).

There are times when I sincerely wish I were 'simpler' and a better person in many a regard than perhaps smarter and who I seem to be."
You post on dtr? Cool? Honestly, I don't know who posts there and who doesn't.
I actually read that site quite a bit but its mostly because a lot of the people I used to interact with on MTGS are over there.
It should be a privilege to post here

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:04 am

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:04 am

i honestly think that's the gayest combination of words possible in the human language @ rezombad mm post

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:41 am

Why did I not see this thread before? :magicmage:
That explains why people keep coming over for chicken nuggets

Corruption Watch

Postby Corruption Watch » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:49 am

Magic Mage weighs in on the new MTGS:

"I share similar concerns. I understand the site's business model requires some of these scripts, and it so happens that, for the coffers to remain full and business to remain solvent, information must be sold. However, not only are there issues to do with (1) privacy and (2) security, but these tracking things are also markedly compromise the performance of the website. A statement and explanation from the site staff as well as the technical, Curse people would be rightly appreciated, and an address of these matters would be thoughtful for users, the site and those truly running this thing."
SHUT UP IMBECILE

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:50 am

That explains why people keep coming over for chicken nuggets

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:08 pm

Yeah. Again, same with other things in common (e.g., careers, interests, goals, immutable and unchangeable backgrounds such as ethnicity).

My SO is not a gamer. I do not game either.

There is no formula for functional relationships but generally you need to try to work at issues and other things together, to try to communicate with each other with respect and to be patient and persistent or to persevere.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:09 pm

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Adele's third album, following 19 and 21; hopefully it isn't 25 or 26. I really don't like what she's done here, even after reading her explanation for the previous album titles.
Ed Sheeran's sophomore album
Emeli Sandé's sophomore album
As well as a number of releases by more established acts (e.g., blink-182 [how old is too old for pop punk, for me to be listening-in-passing to it or for them to be making it], Guns N' Roses).

I don't really do music festivals or gigs, so that's about it for me.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Who else likes gothic music? What are your favorite bands and songs?

I am a big fan of The Cure; to my shame, I rather like their poppier and lighter stuff, such as "Friday I'm in Love" "Why Can't I Be You?" (I used to like "The Lovecats"), but I love their darker stuff, such as "A Forest", "Carnage Visors", "Grinding Halt", etc.

I also like The Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, the Bunnymen, Bauhaus, and Depeche Mode. I have tried hard to get more into Siouxsie and the Banshees and Birthday Party as well as Lords of the New Church and The Damned.

Admittedly, I didn't listen to music growing up, even though the 80s were my era. I don't really know too much about the culture or the history, so I am a most pretentious poseur! XD

If you mention anything like Marilyn Manson, please
go away. I have listened and I might listen to Marilyn Manson, but he isn't gothic rock as this thread means it.

Oh yeah, what is your interpretation of "The Killing Moon"? What lyrics support what parts of your interpretation, or how have you interpreted specific parts of the song?

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Hi, I am trying to install the latest version of EndNote (I wish they had a smarter installer or update function), but I keep getting this system message. How would I go about fixing this?

By the by, I tweaked my system services recently. I don't really recall what I tweaked but I was guided by this reputable page. Could this tweaking have anything to do with this?

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:25 pm

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:25 pm

The picture-/photo-sharing thread
by 9909
by 9909
January 24, 2014 Go to latest post
0 replies 163 views

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:26 pm

Hey, I was wondering if I could get a hand with this.

So, my monitor died and I am in the market to buy a monitor or two. I have done some research and inquiring and now I know that I probably should be looking for an HDMI cable, two monitors, and an adequate video/graphics card (with two HDMI ports/connections).

Anyone use two or more monitors? Why? (I am planning to use it for work, obviously.)

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

obviously

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

As above and namely Calvinists, Arminians, Lutherans, Anglicans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Protestants, etc. (I guess Baptists and Evangelicals too). Furthermore, are the Anglicans Protestants or not and why?

Moreover, who are the big names and what did they do? I know of (John) Knox, (John) Wesley, R. Henry VIII and (Thomas) Cranmer, among a few others.

If someone could better guide this discussion, that would be great.

Return to “Humor”