My tale of woe, stupidity, and Friday the 13th bad luck

Kick a seat and discuss whatever you want. Laid back discussions mandatory!

Moderator: ( G_R )

Zooligan
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

My tale of woe, stupidity, and Friday the 13th bad luck

Postby Zooligan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:27 pm

A couple Friday's ago (12/13 to be exact), I was getting ready to pay into FNM at the LGS. So Im standing there and overhear this kinda goofy fella talking to the manager.

"Those cards the people back there are playing with, how do you know if they're worth anything?"

Manager says it's hard to tell, depends on the card. Dude says "I was wondering because I bought a big box of them at an estate sale. A bunch of them are individually wrapped and stuff."

Here's where I step in and tell him I'd be interested in looking. Dude introduces himself. I tell him I'll give him a call tomorrow, pull out my cell and ask for his number. "It's ###-###-##, no, wait, it's ###-###-####." I call the number and wait for his to ring. "
Left it in the car." he says. OK. Whatever, I'll call you tomorrow.

Well the next day I go to call. No answer. At all. I did a reverse lookup on it and find it's an unassigned landline number. Oh S-H-I-T!

I've spent the last almost month trying everything I could to track this dude down. LGS store manager says he didn't buy anything and can't remember if the girl he was with did or not, and they have no vid in house. Called a cop friend and he talked the anchor store security guys to turn over parking lot video at the time the dude was leaving the store. He could see the guy, and his car, but not get the plate number.

It's killing me to know there's some guy out there with a box of cards from an estate sale that are valuable enough to be individually sleeved, and he doesn't really know what they're worth. All I can imagine is a giant pile of Black Lotuses and Moxen!

So, I know this guy's first name and that he drives (but maybe not owns, as he was with some chick) a late
model blue or green Ford Explorer. Any ideas on how to track him down?

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:36 pm

You have failed to ask the real questions. Why would this person give a bad number? Why would he buy stuff at an estate sale that he knows nothing about? Why did he not bring the cards with him?

After everything you just told me; I suspect these cards are stolen. Please do not find this person as you would be placing yourself at risk.
Author of Gunning for Tactical/Practical - http://diestoremoval.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2103
Current Decks
Commander- Kaalia (Dega) and Nekusar (Grixis)
Modern- UB Faeries and Splinter Twin
Standard- Mono-black Devotion
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:29 am

Lol, why are you stalking some guy?

People who buy at estate sales are looking for valuables to flip. You're not going to hit payday -- the guy is already going into stores looking for input, he is on the ball.

Sort of concerned with your dedication to finding the poor guy.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:39 am

Nah, this dude was a dope. If you knew the people around here (upstate SC) you'd understand.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:33 am

What do you think he was in an LGS for? >.>

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:42 am

He gave you a landline brah

Why are you still trying to find him?

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:05 am

What do you think he was in an LGS for? >.>
His girl was looking at used game console stuff. Probably Christmas shopping.

And I don't think he intentionally gave me a landline. I think he's just a dipshit. Probably just bought a new Tracfone or something and didn't have the number quite down yet. Like I said, you gotta know the natives 'round here.

Course I'm the real dipshit for not making sure I had the guy's digits or another way to find him. I know that. Now...

Captain Murphy
The highest high, I'm Ayatollah

Postby Captain Murphy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:22 am

He probably gave you a fake number, meaning he isn't interested in selling to you.

You could case the place for fingerprints and give them to your cop friend?
It's too bad we don't have a secret subforum where we can coordinate troll attempts where only we can see so that we don't have to catch on because only one of us is an actual rocket scientist.
I am particularly interested in committing internet genocide
in soviet gutter, New York somewhere in you

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:52 am

I can tell you from experience, let this one go. The chances that there's anything worthwhile in the pile is infinitessimal, and the guy probably did enough research to figure that out, otherwise he'd probably have come looking for you.
If you really want to continue doxxing the guy, though, it looks like there was an estate sale in an Oxford, SC back in October where one of the big ticket items was a blue Ford Explorer, you might try to track the paper trail from there; found the info on estatesales.net so you might want to shoot them an email. Nothing else listed really popped for nerdery paraphernalia, and there's a hell of a lot of blue and/or green late model Explorers in South Carolina, but that seems like your best bet. You also might want to try putting an ad in the newspaper.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Hey now, see there's some useful info, Pendulum. Mixed in with some fatalistic, glass-half-empty advice, but useful nonetheless. :D

At this point, it's now more of a game just to see if I can find this guy. I'm not going to put any money in it (newspaper ad).

Return to “H2O Cooler Talk”