Hello

You may introduce yourself here
d1sh0ng
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Hello

Postby d1sh0ng » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:01 am

I am looking to take my game to the next level. I recently got the fire to qualify for the Pro Tour after hearing the Pro Tour would be coming to Atlanta (where I currently live). I'm been playing quite a spectrum of decks on MTGO and unfortunately cannot seem to do very well.

I feel like I need to make a fundamental change to the way I play the game. Something is not working because I do not do well outside of FNM. I joined this site to see if I could get better at the game and hopefully contribute something and help other people.

I got back into Magic when I moved to Atlanta two and a half years ago and played nothing but aggro. Mono Red, White Weenie, you name it, I turned things sideways. Then I began to have an identity crisis and found myself never sticking to one deck. That continues to today. But first, I want to change my mindset and the way I play the game.

Thank you for reading this and I look
forward to working with you all and providing to the Dies To Removal community.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 am

Welcome~

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:40 am

Magic Online is no joke. Keep at it and you will improve your game tenfold.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:03 am

Magic Online is no joke. Keep at it and you will improve your game tenfold.
Agreed 100% :jam:

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:58 am

Welcome aboard

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Welcome aboard.

Stay level-headed, re-evaluate all your games after both wins and losses to see how various decisions affected the game and what you could have done been better.

Be VERY careful who you take your advice from. I have a friend who can't seem to get better and it's because she listens to other terrible players and takes there advice. You can be friends with the "budget casual" crowd, but try to get the advice of the good players when you can. Always be friendly an unobtrusive when asking for advice and don't be put off if someone tells you to "fuck off".

Sometimes you have to "prove" yourself to players and some(lots) of magic players have terrible social skills. If you're friendly and get to know people, you can easily find yourself apart of a playgroup, or at the very least get solid advice. Remember, 2 ears>1 mouth.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:35 pm

Welcome, bot-like named human.
That explains why people keep coming over for chicken nuggets

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:53 am

What are you playing now? How do you test?
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

d1sh0ng
Newcomer

Postby d1sh0ng » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:24 am

Thanks everybody for the welcome!

@zemanjaski: Currently I do not have a set deck. I've been bouncing around between many different decks. I'm very fickle with decks and I will change frequently. My current decks are PyroRed, WB Aggro, and GR Monsters.

As for how I test, I go to FNM once a week but that is not a good barometer for performance so to supplement that I have been playing more MTGO. I'm steadily ramping up, I'm currently testing in the Tournament Practice room until I feel comfortable with the interface and my performance, then I will start playing 2 mans and 8 mans. Once I feel comfortable with them, I will try Dailys.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:04 am

Ban the bot
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:54 am

@zemanjaski: Currently I do not have a set deck. I've been bouncing around between many different decks. I'm very fickle with decks and I will change frequently. My current decks are PyroRed, WB Aggro, and GR Monsters.

As for how I test, I go to FNM once a week but that is not a good barometer for performance so to supplement that I have been playing more MTGO. I'm steadily ramping up, I'm currently testing in the Tournament Practice room until I feel comfortable with the interface and my performance, then I will start playing 2 mans and 8 mans. Once I feel comfortable with them, I will try Dailys.
I'd recommend sticking to one deck for longer; learning all of the intricacies and being able to think
deeper will help you grow more as a player. It'll also help you keep your bankroll on MODO.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

d1sh0ng
Newcomer

Postby d1sh0ng » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:05 am

As for how I test, I go to FNM once a week but that is not a good barometer for performance so to supplement that I have been playing more MTGO. I'm steadily ramping up, I'm currently testing in the Tournament Practice room until I feel comfortable with the interface and my performance, then I will start playing 2 mans and 8 mans. Once I feel
comfortable with them, I will try Dailys.
I'd recommend sticking to one deck for longer; learning all of the intricacies and being able to think deeper will help you grow more as a player. It'll also help you keep your bankroll on MODO.

That is what I am trying to train myself to do. I have a PTQ in my area on Saturday and have decided on PyroRed as the deck I will running. I spent some time tonight familiarizing myself with the deck through the PyroRed thread and watching MDU's videos. I got two matches in on MTGO in the Tournament Practice room. Unfortunately I played some fringe decks like White Weenie splash Blue and a Aristocrat-like BW deck with Cartel Aristocrat, Festering Newt, Bogbrew Witch, Bubbling Cauldron, and Gift of Immortality. I will be going to FNM tomorrow for more practice. But I am going to stick with PyroRed for the time being. And of course I will do my best to contribute as I can.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:39 am

Yeah, beyond familiarizing yourself with your deck, make sure you know your opponent's deck too. My first Pro Tour qualification came off of the back of knowing EVERY deck in the format. And I was playing 5 color control, to boot, which had some of the worst aggro matchups. ON TOP OF THAT, I had no byes in the PTQ.

It was an uphill battle, but I know for certain that my research paid off.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:32 pm

Drink more when you play.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Return to “Make an Entrance”