Gunning for Tactical/Practical Reviews

Kick a seat and discuss whatever you want. Laid back discussions mandatory!

Moderator: ( G_R )

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby windstrider » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:06 pm

These are excellent articles, wraith. I appreciate the different outlook you have on these items.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on the Pardner Pump Protector shotgun. Link to review: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/1 ... -12-gauge/.

I own a 12 gauge model for home protection, and it's a beast of a gun. Fully loaded, it's a heavy gun, so it's not something I'd want to lug around for a while, but it seems just right for home defense. From my non-knowledgeable perspective, it's solidly constructed and doesn't need much babying. Like the review notes, it is a loud gun, from just racking a shell to firing the thing.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:09 pm

These are excellent articles, wraith. I appreciate the different outlook you have on these items.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on the Pardner Pump Protector shotgun. Link to review: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/1 ... -12-gauge/.

I own a 12 gauge model for home protection, and it's a beast of a gun. Fully loaded, it's a heavy gun, so it's not something I'd want to lug around for a while, but it seems just right for home defense. From my non-knowledgeable perspective, it's solidly constructed and doesn't need much babying. Like the review notes, it is a loud gun, from just racking a shell to
firing the thing.
I guess if you need to save money at the precise moment of being short $110 for a mossberg; it's an ok gun. I would have to see the cold weather use as if it's a tight fit; there maybe issues of jamming. The model 870 is an excellent build, thus this clone looks ok. One factor in buying a gun for me is whether I can upgrade the shit out of it. Mossberg has many after markets available from magpul that would make you smile. I have not seen one at the gun show to handle it, thus my hands can't say give an opinion and eyes lie. You could have found the best china build of a shot gun for the best price. I guess you could try one out and report back. My gut reaction is that it's a trap or novice equipment, but I could be wrong as I have not held one.

Good luck.
Author of Gunning for Tactical/Practical - http://diestoremoval.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2103
Current Decks
Commander- Kaalia (Dega) and Nekusar (Grixis)
Modern- UB Faeries and Splinter Twin
Standard- Mono-black Devotion
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:27 am

I own a 12 gauge model for home protection, and it's a beast of a gun. Fully loaded, it's a heavy gun, so it's not something I'd want to lug around for a while, but it seems just right for home defense. From my non-knowledgeable perspective, it's solidly constructed and doesn't need much babying. Like the review notes, it is a loud gun, from just racking a shell to
firing the thing.
From a budgeted home defense outlook, I love it. I've always been a Remington man, and a cheap bastard. I own a Remington Model 11, and it's been slinging shells for almost 80 years. My experience's with Norinco have also been pretty favorable. My father owned a Norinco 1911 for a couple years. The steel in the frame was so hard that the local machinists refused to work on it, else they ruin a perfectly good mill bit.

The H&R seems just as it should. It's a product of a communist country. It's inexpensive, overbuilt, heavy, and reliable. I have no personal experience with this particular shotgun, but if my house burned down tonight, and I was forced to move into a trailer home with nothing more than the money in my pocket and the clothes on my back, I'd feel okay spending $200 for one of these and some shells.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:19 am

Anyone here have any experience with Smith & Wesson 5906's? Been thinking about selling my Glock and getting one.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:04 pm

Don’t own or have shot one, but have held/seen them. Nice gun and parts are easy to find. Have never heard a complaint about them functionally, but weight is an issue for concealed carry if you are not used to it. I don’t think you can go wrong buying one new. Used however is another story. Check it carefully for abuse and ask for a serious discount if the barrel is heavy worn.
Author of Gunning for Tactical/Practical - http://diestoremoval.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2103
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

March Edition of Gunning for Tactical/Practical.

Postby Wraith223 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:06 pm

In this edition of Gunning for Tactical/Practical, I will discuss the gun upgrades that make sick to just look at. Here are the three gun upgrades that no one should sacrifice pennies for:

Crimson Trace Rail Master (CMR-201) ($90)
NC Star Ar15 Qr Weaver Mount/ Cantilever Scope Mount Rear Ring 30mm ($30)
2 scopes from NC Star ($75 and $70)
1 Red Dot Scope from NC Star ($40)

Many moons ago, I was a cheap bastard looking for upgrades to make my AR-15 as awesome as possible. I searched through the gun show tables and found many cool pieces of jewelry for my AR-15 to shine while locked in combat with the swine. Seriously, I mean killing pigs with the most bad ass gun upgrades. My eyes saw beautiful scopes, red dots, and ACOGS from the major companies, but my wallet and brain said it was a waste. For there were WAY cheaper upgrades only two tables down, and the price
difference was literally $500 or more. I was pushed into a false sense of reassurance as I saw a couple of friends buying the cheaper stuff from the orientals/asians. This by no means a racist remark, but these folks always sell the cheaper brands, will make a deal on anything, and never give you shit. I knew my gun needed a couple upgrades that would not be cheap, and decided to get the most I could out these “cheaper” tables.
Most of the best pig hunting is at night or early morning, thus I needed a quick targeting system. I had read and seen laser mounted on the rails of AR-15’s and REALLY wanted one. There are many brands and I had seen a few. Most are crap as the recoil hurts the accuracy of follow up shots due to crappy construction, thus I researched hard for the best one. Crimson Trace makes really good lasers for pistols and thought maybe this one would work for my AR-15.
IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG
It would nest perfectly on the rails for instant use to attain fast target acquisition. I bought the CMR-201 ($90) from a vender for $20 bellow cost, and thought it was a steal. It needed a battery and I hit Radio shack on the way home for a 1/3N 3V Lithium Battery ($7). I was not happy about that, but it should last as I don’t intend on leaving it on. Next, I went to my gun range and attached the the laser with ease. It was very low profile and the laser was vey bright. It sighted in very quickly, but I noticed a slight issue. The laser turns on from breathing on. The side lever/switches activate the laser with little or handling. I went home and checked it before night time to see if it was off. Next mooring I checked it and it was on. I turned it off. Hour later I checked it and it was
on again. WTF? I put my rifle on the dinner table to see what turned it on with a piece of paper at the end to get my attention. It turned on from the air hitting it from the air conditioning vent. I was perplexed at the situation, and had no idea what to do about it. I called the company and they said it was not a factory defect, which is technically true.
I tried using it on my handguns and it still would not turn off for any length of time. I need thing at the ready, not with the battery out. If a pig or general intruder shows up; I can’t say “hold on, I need put this difficult battery in to prepare for home defense”. I never thought an upgrade could be this annoying that fast, but Crimison Trace definitely kicked out a lemon here.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/crimson-tra ... -laser.htm

The option to shoot long distance is allows for safe shots, but in a pinch, the limitations of scopes can be frightening. Trying
to quick draw with a scope is damn near a crap shoot for accuracy. It takes great practice to be quick with scope in forced CQB. Now if you are on a 2 man team or prefer options in Battle; I recommend getting a quick detach scope mount.
Years of growing up with Winchester rifles have caused me to love iron sights. I shoot more accurate when using iron sights on quick target acquisition shots. The option of iron sights is comfortable and a great advantage when need to shoot CQB, no batteries for night optics, or your scope is damaged. At the time there were not many options as the AR was coming into its own with serious aftermarket upgrades. There was a table at a gun show that had decent priced upgrades on scope mounts, and I picked a the scope mount as there was not much else at the time to compare. The scope attached just fine and accepted my Nikon scope
with ease. Tightening the mount was easy and my shots were accurate. After a few outings using the new scope mount, I noticed my groupings were opening up more. Tightening did nothing either and it was getting worse. I put the scope and mount on another AR and it shot accurate again (both rifles). WTF?
I let the rifle sit for a while and had to use it on a trip again where I completely dismantle it to fit in a suitcase (traveling in a small car to a ranch). A huge problem was discovered with the tension bracket. It no longer kept tight pressure regardless of how much tightening I did. The damn scope slid up and down the rails with irritating ease. I would pictures, but it died in an angry explosion. Before sending it off to a new age viking funeral; I used a magnifying glass and found the metal bracket had becoming butter flexible because the metal used was a cheap piece of crap. You could say “what do you expect for $30?”, but 3 outings of limited use? Quality is not a foundation of NC Star. I was
recommended a better version from GG&G which I later bought for $120. It works perfectly fine and has seen many shooting outings with now accuracy issues. This was not the last of the NC Star let downs.

When I first bought my AR-15; I needed a scope to shoot longer distance accurately as pig shots can be difficult in brush. At the gun show, I saw a rubberized scope that was small and another that if bought together was $75 and $70 instead $160. Both used batteries and could change the scope article color to red or green. It was awesome to me as now I could see the target reticle at night. How awesome is that for an old school hunter!
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0880.JPG
Attaching and tightening down was easy with no errors. Sighting in was a breeze and the rubberized scope was on a .308 while the other was on a .223. Everything was fine for 3 months till
accuracy started to slip on the .308. I had a fixed scope mount on the that one, thus it was obvious the scope was having issues. re-sighting in the scope lasted 4 shots past the acceptable accuracy. Another issue was growing with the lighted reticle as it was flickering on and off. I set the still attached scope and rifle aside to contemplate the my options. Further shooting with the .223 rifle proved a similar result from the .308’s scope. Now I am down 2 scopes. I went back to the gun show and found that the warranty was really only for the venders (meaning sit out of luck even though simple recoil destroyed the scopes designed to shoot on said rifles). I still have the scopes and have since replaced them with Nikons.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/ncstar-3-9x ... 3942r.html - The rubberized version.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/ncstar-illu ... 3942r.html- The one I overpaid for, but it was new to the market when I bought it.

There is one last NC Star let down and was bad. I needed a red dot scope which is limited in range but fun to use. I found a table at the gun show that sold nice red dot scopes and bought this one for $40. I got home to sight it in and it would not sight in at all. Each shot was either wild high or low. I put 30 rounds through my .223 trying to get a grouping, but it was useless. Trying to the guy who sold it to me to refund or give me a new on was futile. He said my receipt could not prove it was bought from him. So I just started hollering really load that he was a fraud, selling damaged goods, and secretly an Obama supporter. Nothing happened and he just stared at me with pure hate as folks who were making a purchase demanded money back or requested for the vender to be thrown out. I have yet to see said vender ever again and I go to a lot of gun shows. Still stuck with said red dot.
[
attachment=4]IMG_0878.JPG[/attachment]

So far, this article says I lost 90+75+70+40+30= $305 lot to crap gear. Please ignore the cheap brands of scopes and red dot scopes. It may look great, but simple recoil destroys them.

The laser was just useless when I think about it now. Relying on a light for target acquisition makes one sloppy. I can understand using an IR laser with night vision, but that is a lot of money for just bling night equipment. Don't waste your money on lasers as they don't really help. I tried the one I bought on many handguns and rifles and found it slowed me down checking it constantly. Accuracy bonus was unnoticed most of the time as I spent to much time looking for the laser dot than shooting. It's another Hollywood tool in my findings.
Attachments
IMG_0878.JPG
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Return to “H2O Cooler Talk”