Naya Hexproof aka Rage Tears

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Naya Hexproof aka Rage Tears

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:09 pm

I'm sure you notice that wizard has posted the MOCS11 lists up, here is the ONLY list which went 6-0 during the first half (it died horribly during the 2nd half).

Please note playing this deck will incite colorful language from your Oop. if you can learn to live with that its amusing as heck.

[deck=Eken.'s Naya Auras aka Rage Tears]Lands 24
4 Forest
3 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Selesnya Guildgate
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden
1 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 17
2 Boon Satyr
1 Fiendslayer Paladin
4 Gladecover Scout
2 Skylasher
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Witchstalker

Auras 19
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Gift of Orzhova
4 Madcap Skills
4 Unflinching Courage

Sideboard 15
3 Banisher Priest
2 Boros Charm
3 Fiendslayer Paladin
2 Holy Mantle
3 Mending Touch
2 Skylasher[/deck]

I didn't think much of the list when I first saw it,
but after working on the SB plan, fighting and beating MonoBlack and Control I'm now convinced this deck is the real deal.

The only change I'm thinking about making is upping the Boros Charm count, that card is so good it may even deserve MD'ing (double strike trample 9/9 creature anyone?) it also takes care of random R.Bombs MD.

I'll be working on this deck for the next few days, if anyone has suggestion please let me know :p (If you LOVE rage quits as much as I do, you'll love this deck).

I wish I was recording from the start but here is one rage quit:

G1: Naya Auras vs Junk

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Not surprised a hexproof/aura deck pushed it's way in. The deck has the same pieces as Bant Hexproof but can start suiting up turn 2 with Gladecover Scout.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:11 pm

I ragequit the thread as soon as I saw the list.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:30 pm

That was what i was getting pummeled by two weeks ago. Unflinching Courage and gift of Orzhova on a Gladecover Scout. Boo!

It's also why I upped the Wear // Tear count in my SB, to attack the enchantments directly.

notap123
Newcomer

Postby notap123 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:45 pm

If your meta actually shifted to something like this there is tons of answers to enchantment heavy decks, either way it is pretty funny.

Have you considered Fleecemane over Voice? In a deck with a smaller creature ratio it might work out better as well as bring a better late game.

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:56 pm

The extra power isn't worth it; Voice is a 2-1 or turns apparent 2-1s into 1-1s.

PirateKingAtomsk

Postby PirateKingAtomsk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:53 pm

I'm strongly considering building this to play against my friend who usually runs decks similairly themed to this, though I'lI have to opt for the fleecemanes in place of vioce just due to the pricetag and fleecemane i think would be the next best thing.
" :symtap: : Destroy target orifice."

notap123
Newcomer

Postby notap123 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:01 pm

The extra power isn't worth it; Voice is a 2-1 or turns apparent 2-1s into 1-1s.
That wasn't the logic of my suggesting fleecemane. Games will go past turn 5 and having an additional hexproof body late game would make for a better hedge especially in a deck with a lower creature count.

PirateKingAtomsk

Postby PirateKingAtomsk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:25 pm

@mdu agreed on the charms and would preferably run 3 but what to take out of mb for them?

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:44 pm

That's reasonable; but, this is an aggro deck and doesn't want the game going late. Thus, the early game screw control presented by Voice is still probably better than the late-game screw control presented by FML.

PirateKingAtomsk

Postby PirateKingAtomsk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:14 pm

What's the mending touch for?

agrevall
Newcomer

Postby agrevall » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:34 pm

This deck is pretty brutal. Just out of interest where have Wizards posted the MOCS11 lists? I can't find anything on their car crash of a website!

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:27 am

Here is the MOCS11-Rematch list, they don't have the 2nd half or the first mocs11 which crashed.

In regards to the deck, you can't cut Voice of Resurgence because he is your MD answer to Devour Flesh.

Enchantment Hate, isn't a threat in Standard (unlike modern and pauper) they don't have anything which can hit them all at once (he won through a field of abrupt decay) - Boros Charm is also good vs hate.

My first tweak will be replacing 2x Skylasher for 2x Mistcutter Hydras from the SB to improve the Control MU, I do want to to add the third Boros Charm but I need more play testing to help iron out the numbers.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

InflatablePie

Postby InflatablePie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:52 am

Thoughts on Selesnya Charm? Makes a dude (not shabby), pumps a guy (also not shabby), exiles big things (even if the list has Chained for that). If you get really desperate you can suit up their creature and exile it.

Also, I see the current manabase has 20 R/W sources... thoughts on SB Boros Reckoner? Sticking Unflinching Courage or Madcap on him is always evil fun.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know if you're being lied to?

The answer? Use a gun. And if that don't work... use more gun.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:26 am

When your building a SB and making tweaks to the MD you must first think what is the deck having problems against and how can I fix it.

Aggro is not a problem which is why Boros Reckoner isn't needed, Selesnya Charm isn't horrible but Chained to the Rocks adds too your enchantment count and deals with MoW.

In my PoV the decks main weakness are (Order is based on how common they are):

1) Devour Flesh - Answer: Voice of Resurgence
2) Pack Rat - Answer: race it...
3) Desecration Demon - Answer: Chained to the Rocks or get bigger
4) Master of Waves - Answer: Chained to the Rocks, [card]Holy Mantle[/card:
yj23t29a] or Gift of Orzhova
5) Supreme Verdict - Answer: Boros Charm, Mending Touch (purposed additional answer Mistcutter Hydra)
6) Detention Sphere - No Answer, just deal with losing 1 Aura.
7) Anger of the Gods - Answer: Unflinching Courage, Gift of Orzhova on large creatures or Boros Charm and/or Mending Touch
Eight) Lotleth Troll - Answer: Chained to the Rocks, Holy Mantle or Gift of Orzhova
9) Ratchet Bomb - Answer: Boros Charm and Mending Touch

[
card]Pack Rat[/card] is a sers. issue, I also don't like Holy Mantle so much.

I've been thinking about running +Boros Charm which is not only good for def. but its great for racing.
+2 Mistcutter Hydra to just outright kill control, and maybe my own Ratchet Bomb over Holy Mantle to deal with other Ratchet Bomb and Pack Rat.

InflatablePie

Postby InflatablePie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:25 am

to be fair, Seles Charm answers Devour (make a dude, sac), DDemon (exile), and Verdict/Anger (make a dude postwrath). <_< but I get your point.

I think the deck might like Ratchet Bomb, just gotta be careful you don't kill your own stuff.

Does the deck want 3 Mending Touch and the Boros Charms? You could probably trade one for another Charm. Maybe move the MB Paladin to the board for one maindeck. I'd say even side the Skylashers to bring out two Charms but I dunno if you absolutely need them for mono-U/control. Could also drop two enchantments (one of each Courage and Orzhova?) but I dunno how to balance enchantment:creature ratios in hexproof decks so that may be terrible.

Just tossing ideas out.

PirateKingAtomsk

Postby PirateKingAtomsk » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:30 pm

I think functionally you could trade a mending touch for another charm, but for the charms upsides it also costs another mana and the deck only runs 9 red sources but 16 green so its a toss up and testing of mana availabilty would need to be done

InflatablePie

Postby InflatablePie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Yeah, the mana looks... fickle. You can't really drop green because of T1 Gladecover and T3 Witchstalker. If you're adding red spells I'd probably cut some white spells+mana and either add in a Temple or a single Mountain (gives a 9th target for Chained).

I like how the deck runs a metric shitton of lifelink to balance out the fact that you can easily end up shocking yourself for 6+ by turn 4.

RedNihilist
Tire Aficionado

Postby RedNihilist » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:24 am

Boros Reckoner + lifelink + Boros Charm equals LULZ.
Still, I doubt that's feasible.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:52 am

to be fair, Seles Charm answers Devour (make a dude, sac), DDemon (exile)
I got the chance to play many... many....more games with this list (I still need to return ham's lands btw...) starting to really believe I need something like Seles Char to save me from devour :gonk: .

Anyhow, like you'll expect the deck stomps on R decks, G decks and U aggro decks.

All of my loses came from Esper and Bx Devotion (this is not a good thing, since these are very common decks) based on my results, I was wrong to replace Skylasher with Mistcutter Hydra, like how Pie suggested Flashing in to save from devour is a very strong play while making the 2/3 bird cry is
an added bonus (I almost think Elspeth, Sun's Champion has a place in this deck to deal with control and black).

Holy Mantle, ended up being a very strong card along with Mending Touch (the 1cc is critical) - I don't think its needed to up the Boros Charm.

- - - - - - - - - - -

I notice I did lose some game outright due to consistency issues so I'll be including 04x Commune with the Gods MD, I'll see if I can post some videos soon + upload my new list.

Genesis
Newcomer

Postby Genesis » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:17 pm

After some tests i came up wit the following list:

[deck]Lands: 22
1 Temple of Triumph
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Selesnya Guildgate
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden
3 Forest
2 Plains

Creatures: 14
2 Boon Satyr
4 Fiendslayer Paladin
4 Gladecover Scout
4 Witchstalker

Spells: 4
4 Commune with the Gods

Enchantments: 20
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Gift of Orzhova
4 Madcap Skills
4 Unflinching Courage

Sideboard: 15
4 Skylasher
3 Mistcutter Hydra
3 Ratchet bomb
3 Mending touch
2 Assemble of the Legion
[/deck]

Yesterday played with it in modo in 8 ppl Queue.

First match against mono black devotion:
G1: I had a very strong start Gladecover Scout equipped with Ethereal Armor andMadcap Skills. Opponent played a couple of demons which where successfully chained. Luckily he didn't drew [card:
31iyvpie]Devour Flesh[/card]. (won)
G2: He destroyed my hand with 2 Thoughtseize and then controlled board with 2 devour flesh (lost)
G3: I had a slow start, but turn five Assemble of the Legion won the game for me. (won)

Second match against Esper control:
G1: I had an aggressive start, forced him to play Supreme Verdict on one creature at a time. He stabilized at 2 HP ... 3 revelations later I was finished with Aethering. (lost)
G2: I had Witchstalker with a couple of auras on it and a back up of Mending touch. Opponent answered with Celestial Flare which kind of shocked me... Eventually He finished me with Elpset tokens. (lost)

Second tournament was quite more successful for me:

Match 1 vs Junk
G1 and G2 were nearly buy. I finished him really fast.

Match 2 VS
dega midrange
G1, He had no chance to outrun 9/6 trample lifelink flying Witchstalker. (won)
G2, He ragequited on turn 3, after I equipped Unflinching Courage on Gladecover Scout. (won)

Match 3 VS Mono blue devotion
G1. He had an extremely nice draw, and I had color screw. I didn't see the second white mana source and he finished me with blue god, and a swarm of small creatures. (loss)
G2. Considering the amount of "pro blue" creatures in my sideboard, it wasn't hard to finish him off. (won)
G3. He conceded the game after he saw Hydra equipped with Madcap Skills and Ethereal Armor on turn 4. (won)

My sideboard strategy is:

VS Mono black devotion: -2 Boon Satyr -4 Gift of Orzhova +2 Assemble of the Legion +4 [card]Skylasher[/card:
31iyvpie] (protection against Devour Flesh)

VS Mono blue devotion: -4 Fiendslayer Paladin -2 Boon Satyr -1 Madcap Skills +4 Skylasher +3 Mistcutter Hydra

VS Esper/UW control: -3 Gift of Orzhova +3 Mending touch

VS Dega/Junk - no sideboarding is needed.

Overall I really like the deck. I can not afford Voice of Resurgence otherwise I would have included it in my list. The main concern for this deck is Devour Flesh and Thoughtseize (because I run only 14 creatures. it really hurts).
Assemble is the only hope in games VS black devotion, I am considering to put one more in my sideboard (and maybe to ad one more land in order to support it)
The mutch up with
devotion red is pretty equal, it really depends on how much pain I'm supposed to take from my own lands. Post sideboard Ratchet bomb usually helps.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:13 am

So much blue hate in the boards :p.

This was the version I was thinking about (I'm glad were taking the deck to similar directions):

[deck=MDU's Rage Tears]Lands 24
4 Forest
3 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Selesnya Guildgate
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden
1 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 15
1 Fiendslayer Paladin
4 Gladecover Scout
2 Skylasher
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Witchstalker

Spells 4
4 Commune with the Gods

Auras 17
2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Ethereal Armor
3 Gift of Orzhova
4 Madcap Skills
4 Unflinching Courage

Sideboard 15
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Boros Charm
2 Holy Mantle
2 Skylasher
3 Fiendslayer Paladin
3 Mending Touch[/deck]

Midnight_v

This deck is what you play

Postby Midnight_v » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:28 am

This is the deck you play when you hate playing magic... wait no, I think the quote was "I played this cause really I didn't feel like playing magic" I'm loving that. I'm so sick of devotion in this standard, that I'm fully on board with this one.

I really appreciate you bringing it to everyones attention. I love that it runs skylasher, and I'm since I play only on cockatrice mostly I'm really loving the vids. Its good enough that I'm actually tempted to invest in some MTGO and just harrass people with it if nothing else.

THANK YOU! Loving it.
"All your passive
aggressive bullshit doesn't make you smart, it makes you an asshole." - Lightning Dolt

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:54 am

This is the deck to play when you feel like pissing on everyone moods (esp. fun when you playing with money on the line).

I havn't got around in buying Elspeth, Sun's Champion (still running 73/75 of Eken's list), so I may test Genesis's Assemble of the Legion plan.

Or just win some more 8-Man and then buy Elspeth :p

Genesis
Newcomer

Postby Genesis » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Small match-up update:

VS RG ramp: extremely favorable. It seems that nowadays they don't run anger of gods, which makes it easy to win.

VS all in red: extremely unfavorable, I had ratchet bomb in play and still lost. We can not race them. By the time I had a creature with attached aura, I was below 10 hp... I believe that Voice of Resurgence would make it much easier to play against it. We just need more creatures to trade with them, since we can not outrace it.

Also I was lucky enough to bump in the first round into some GW agro which had Celestial Flare in the main deck...

I believe that this deck would do much better in big tournaments than in 8-man, because the possibility to bump into AIR or some random GW will be much lower and would not hurt us that much.

Speaking of [card]Elspeth, Sun's Champion[/card] VS [card]Assemble of the Legion[/
card], I think that assemble is better simply because you can search for it with Commune with the Gods.

By the way, MDU don't you get flooded with 24 lands? I run 22 and it feels just fine.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:27 pm

You can't afford to miss a single land drop in this deck, so 24 is a must imo, AiR and GW should be rather easy MUs, but I guess variance is a factor.

Elspeth, Sun's Champion make tokens right away, kills Pack Rats + Demons and can pump your team.
Legions is better for your curve, can be tutored.

Both are good for diff. reasons.

notap123
Newcomer

Postby notap123 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Since you are running commune with the gods have either of you thought of playing auramancer to double dip the effect? Being able to reuse a commune pool of enchantments is nice, at least from a pauper perspective.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Since you are running commune with the gods have either of you thought of playing auramancer to double dip the effect? Being able to reuse a commune pool of enchantments is nice, at least from a pauper perspective.
We'll need Genesis to answer that question, I havn't got around to testing commune with the gods yet :p.

Genesis
Newcomer

Postby Genesis » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:56 am

Tried auramancers in the deck. 4 is definitely too many, 2 seemed fine but not great. It was that kind of card that i sided out in almost every single match.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:24 am

I put together a new 60 to combat Control and MonoBlack slightly better:

[deck=MDU's GW Hexproof]Land 22
07x Forest
07x Plains
04x Temple Garden
04x Selesnya Guildgate

Creatures 20
04x Gladecover Scout
04x Elvish Mystic
04x Fleecemane Lion
04x Boon Satyr
04x Witchstalker

Others 18
04x Ethereal Armor
04x Unflinching Courage
04x Selesnya Charm
04x Advent of the Wurm
02x Ajani, Caller of the Pride[/deck]

What make this list strong is that your no longer a 1 Trick Pony and can realistically just beat down for the win.

ProTip: Boon Satyr counts as an enchantment so casting Armor on him makes him a 6/4 first strike creature.

Testing in TP room is going great, lots of tears...

agrevall
Newcomer

Postby agrevall » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:10 am

I like this a lot MDU, even though Madcap Skills was hilarious!

My only other thoughts were Sylvan Caryatid to smooth out the mana a bit more (less important now it's only 2 colour) and maybe a Heliod, God of the Sun (he's an enchantment, he generates enchantments - provides a bit of late game etc).

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:18 pm

That list is way too budget friendly

might end up making it...

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:36 pm

That list is way too budget friendly

might end up making it...
Quick warning, the SB can be very expensive if you plan on running Voice to deal with Bx Devotion and Esper... if you don't care for voice then yes it dead cheap :P.

Here is a video which sums up my feeling on voice.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Relevant to this thread:

My buddy only had a hexproof subtheme to his deck so no scout or ethereal armor, but Ajani was consistently the best lategame card by far. If you're in any kind of medium close game, just sandbag Ajani if you can till you can enchant something with boon satyr, then untap and flying double strike someone out of a game.

Let it be known that he quite playing the deck and became a pseudo redmage because his Esper matchup was so bad.

Rough List from Memory:

4 elvish mystic
2 scavenging ooze
4 fleecemane lion
4 voice
4 witchstalker
4 Boon Satyr
4 advent
1 god's willing
2 Ajani
3 unflinching courage
4 selesnya charm

1 rogues passage

And buddy being a chode refuses to run 4-ofs of his good cards so the list is slightly off, but that's basically what his deck was doing.
Last edited by LP, of the Fires on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:00 pm

MDU, Can't watch it atm, at work

do you feel like it's super necessary vs Bx and Esper? Control is quite popular at my meta and VoR is out of my budget range so yeah

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:42 pm

I can't recommend you invest in HexProof if control is common (control is a terrible MU for Hexproof).

I just like using it to blow of stream beating Gx, UX and Rx players in 2-mans.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:08 pm

@MDU I somehow like this list a lot, when come back to home will look for it. Will try to grab cards for it so might test it at side events on friday. What is a sb?

So it has bad black matchup? Most lists run only 2 devour flesh thou...
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:18 pm

I think that Pack rat is our biggest issue here

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:48 am

Devour Flesh, Pack Rats and DD all pose a threat from Bx Devotion, I can work on some proper SB plans soon when I get time.

Again though, I can't recommend you spend too much money on this pile if Bx or Esper Control is common, this deck is best suited for meta gaming or playing 2-mans.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:15 am

I have voices so that means I have most of the cards ;) And my friends have more cards, I will manage ;>
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Return to “Archives”