Primer: R/w/x Aggro

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue May 13, 2014 7:33 pm

Trust me. Elspeth is the real deal. Also, Purph+Elspeth does happen vs. control. I had the purph in hand and My opponent minused a jace flipping land, jace, rift. I split the rift by itself since we ain't afraid of no jace allowing me to slam Big P, plus Elspeth, and kill jace while doming him for 4 and generally putting the fear of the lord into him.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Tue May 13, 2014 11:30 pm

When you talk like that it reminds me of more not all in decklist I named boros tokens, where you run mutavault, YP, phoenixes, purporoses, assembles and elspeths + standard set of burn spells. Heck, maybe it can still be a deck?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue May 13, 2014 11:50 pm

THat deck was pretty fun to play and decently good. I remember it had an abysmal control matchup, but was good against everything else. I can find out more info after the PT cause my friend who played the deck is testing this week.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Tue May 13, 2014 11:55 pm

Would be awsome. Yeah it had pretty good matchups vs anything that wasnt uw control, as you had to run those reckoners there ...

Matchup was workable when I changed YP for Ash Zealot and had 8 1 drops in sb.

Now you can update this list to play other 3 drops such as brimaz or flamespeaker, adapt removal with banishing light, add some more ways to use lots of tokens with dictate of heliod.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

montu

Harness the Double Demon

Postby montu » Thu May 15, 2014 2:51 am

BAM!

montu

Postby montu » Fri May 16, 2014 1:01 am

My New Play Toy

Bonus Pic - Harnessing Ruric is Fun!

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri May 16, 2014 2:29 am

I shoved two Harness in my GR Monsters sideboard but haven't been able to play the deck yet. I look forward to striving it for big time lulz.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

montu

Top 8 at SCG WI States!

Postby montu » Sun May 18, 2014 1:18 am

I made Top 8 at the SCG Wisconsin States today, playing Rw Devo. :jam: I'll post details once I decompress.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun May 18, 2014 1:30 am

I made Top 8 at the SCG Wisconsin States today, playing Rw Devo. :jam: I'll post details once I decompress.
Its a red world :crazy:

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Mon May 19, 2014 10:58 am

Nice work! Looking forward to the report.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon May 19, 2014 3:52 pm

Question, can this thread be used for RWx heroic brews too? I'm quite unsure as to what is acceptable here :)

Example:

[deck] Saito-inspired heroic[/deck]

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon May 19, 2014 7:51 pm

I don't like your choice of Phalanx Leader in a red-heavy deck. I feel like Prophetic Flamespeaker or even Anax and Cymede would be a better choice.

In fact I see no reason why the deck should have white at all outside of sideboard options. I don't feel like Launch the Fleet and Favored Hoplite are high impact enough for the cost of reducing the consistency of your deck. It probably dilutes your deck's power by not being able to run Mutavault.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon May 19, 2014 8:06 pm

Well I can't afford Mutavault so there's that :(

I basically wanted to implement Stanislav Cifka's block list into the standard format as a semi-competitive archetype

[deck=Stanislav Cifka - RW Heroic; Top 8, Pro Tour Journey into Nyx]
Lands (20)
4 Mana Confluence
6 Mountain
6 Plains
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures (20)
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Favored Hoplite
1 Hero of Iroas
3 Mogis's Warhound
4 Phalanx Leader
4 Satyr Hoplite

Spells (20)
4 Coordinated Assault
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Gods Willing
4 Launch the Fleet
4 Ordeal of Purphoros

Sideboard
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Fall of the Hammer
4 Lagonna-Band Trailblazer
1 Mogis's Warhound
4 Ordeal of Heliod[/deck]

But if you say it's not good then I trust your judgment

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon May 19, 2014 8:16 pm

This is competitive, so we run the best card regardless of cost. Of course, that doesn't have to stop you from building a deck that doesn't run Mutavault because it can't support it. :)

[deck]
Creatures (28)
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Satyr Hoplite
3 Firedrinker Satyr
2 Nyxborn Rollicker
4 Mogis's Warhound
4 Arena Athlete
3 Prophetic Flamespeaker

Spells (12)
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Titan's Strength
4 Madcap Skills

Lands (20)
20 Mountain
[/deck]

I like this a bit more.
Last edited by Valdarith on Mon May 19, 2014 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon May 19, 2014 8:18 pm

Thanks

We're straying from the thread now though so I'll leave it at that

PS: I do own 1 vault but where I live they cost 40 euros so that's a bit outrageous

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:55 am

@Pedros: Whatever happen with RW Tokens? That list seems really powerful but it suddenly vanished.

I recall it being weak vs Jace, but by running extra Purphos, God of the Forge you can get around that problem, being a token deck as means that its solid vs black and with the current lands we have I don't see why we can't just turn it into Naya Tokens for the sweet ramp.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 am

To be honest I dont really know. I was the only one running it, and while I liked it, it didnt get to the mass posting here or salvation. It is too hare to make a deck competitive when you have limited playtime and there is no hivemind eager to turn a deck to being real. I think it was similar to rb agro. At first I played it and managed to get some people on it, however it wasnt tweeked yet and manabase was bad at that point, however deck was promising. O ly JediKnight played it after my slight playing hiatus. People are just not interesting trying things ojut, when our leader _ Zem is giving them tweeked, tested list that works well, and the deck works in such a way, that you dont have to be a master player to wi. With it - i underrstand you need to be a master to unleash a full potential. Did you notice, that after Zems small hiatus on this forum people stopped trying anything new?

See my green devo list. I shared it
here, most didnt even post there or respond. I posted on salvation - one of the biggest post I have ever made with disscussing my choices, why I think most cards they want to play are bad and backing them out with ~100 games results at that point. Only 1 guy responded agreeing with some of my points. Posted there more results, more decklists, asked questions to guys. Still only 1 person. And then I see my old list - made a way that it is worse than mine, posted claiming as their own diacoveries, and get much more attention than mine.

As always sry for my English, writing from tablet and not a native speaker.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:07 am

I wouldn't say Zem is the cause for creativity in fact I think his influence has the opposite effect since people tend to expect him to force feed information which creates this stale hivemind situation (the curse of being respected by the community).

That said I do agree that hivemind can be nice from an data collection pov (except I HATE it), its a shame no one is interested in green decks (since I notice its your passion) - DtR seems to have this blind mountain worshiping going on here (which I'm part off, I can't play creature based decks D: I need more spells) which is why you may get lower responses).

OFF-TOPIC: Did you ever manage to buy the Goyf or Lillies? I'm still on my hopeless journey in trying to finish a Jund deck (I'm gonna try RDW, UR and URW).
Last edited by magicdownunder on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:27 pm

I will consider playing forests once lifebane zombie is gone =p.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:36 pm

I will consider playing forests once lifebane zombie is gone =p.
My buddy!

@MDU I bought my green devo online (also had to buy titans as AngelPagan needed them. And tix rate is too bad right now.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:03 pm

I'll let you in on a secret. I'm not regularly a red mage. The last season I played boros midrange more to play with Seance with haste effects before deciding I actually liked the red slice of the deck. The FoS people really did help me tweak it to where it was The Dreaded at FNM which is why I why I drifted to DTR when it set up.

This season I started as burn way before the rest of you folks (although my build sucked, you can see it in the burn thread) almost as a fluke. At first I tried to build a boros heroic deck over Anax with a couple YP and Chandra because of all the spells. As a whim, I printed extra copies of each to test with and I grinded games against my brother for a few rounds with each and it became readily apparent how powerful the burn shell was. I wanted to attack people from a very different direction and use Chandra and Young Pyromancer which were so obviously absurdly powerful. Not really because it
had red.

Next season is up in the air for me but for now my only pull to playing red next rotation is Chandra and Xenagos.

So, update. My flamespeaker plan worked great against B aggro to get me out of topdeck mode. It worked very poorly against UW control who had two elspeth and two Jace. I'm not sure if I was winning that game regardless but I'll post it for balance.

So my record so far is 3-1, 3-1, then 0-2, 2-2, 1-2. Good news, at least I have broken even on tickets. Better news, I'm really enjoying the chance to up my game.

Return to “Archives”