Primer: R/w/x Aggro

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Guttler
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Guttler » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:00 pm

Good point. I guess I was just paranoid about Ashiok stealing the Nyx-Smith and doing evil things with it. (The local meta also happens to be obsessed with putting mainboard Ashiok in control decks as a meta call against the other control decks).
I wouldn't be too worried. As burn you're the aggressive deck vs Control Ashiok comes down and has no immediate board impact and even not much long term impact, even if they flip a Nix-Smith immediately you should be in a position where they are already at the last few points of life and can't really race you with Nix-smith. Even if they are at a relatively high life total thanks to Elixer or something, I'm still not scared of them ever stealing Nix-Smith, since they 1.) need red mana and they need to tap mana during their untap step to gain the elementals. and 2.) It's a 2/1 vs a deck playing tons of burn.

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:53 am

Thinking of playing this next week. The local meta is pretty heavy on the control/midrange decks, so the sideboard is more tuned towards those match-ups.
If you're expecting to face lot of control decks then move satyr firedancer to sideboard and SFD to main, would also play ash zealot over YP (basically you want to force through as much creature damage as possible before they verdict and then finish them off with burn). Satyr firedancer is good against creature decks, but control won't have any creatures to aim at.

I'd also consider running more 1 drops (cackler) over helix. Helix is good against aggro and in the mirror, but the life-gain is pretty irrelevant against control and mid-range, where you're basically trying to kill them
before they can stabilize. Midrange is good at 1-4-1'ing your threats, so you want to spew them out as quickly as possible and overwhelm them.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:54 am

The more I think about it, the more I like this build:

[deck=Ben Lundgren's Rw Aggro, PTQ Salt Lake 1st Place]Creatures (20)
4 Firedrinker Satyr
2 Rakdos Cackler
2 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Viashino Firstblade
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Spark Trooper

Spells (18)
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Boros Charm
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Skullcrack

Land (22)
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
9 Mountain
2 Plains

Sideboard (15)
1 Electrickery (I'll be cutting this for another Toil // Trouble)
2 Satyr Firedancer
4 Searing Blood
2 Skullcrack
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Toil // Trouble (3x in my case, I want to ensure UWx Control stays dead - if the MU is truly cake, I'll keep the Electrickery)[/deck]
Unlike most burn decks it stomps on UWx Control though it suffers slightly for it against aggro (though the sideboard addresses that with flying colors). This will most likely be the Rw list I'll be
testing after my break (its a nice change from RB since its Spells supported by Creatures rather then the Creature supported by Spells set-up I have over on the RB end).

Here is my rough SB guide:

UWx
In: 2 Satyr Firedancer, 2 Skullcrack, 3 [card]Toil // Trouble[/card]
Out: 2 Gore-House Chainwalker, 4 Chained to the Rocks, 1 Magma Jet

Gx and Rx Devotion + non-Ux Aggro
In: 2 Satyr Firedancer, 4 Searing Blood, 4 Boros Reckoner
Out: 4 Firedrinker Satyr, 2 Rakdos Cackler, 2 [card:
2a1os0br]Skullcrack[/card], 2 Boros Charm

Bx Devotion
In: 2 Skullcrack
Out: 2 Gore-House Chainwalker

Ux Devotion + Esper Midrange
In: 2 Satyr Firedancer, 4 Searing Blood
Out: 4 Firedrinker Satyr, 2 Rakdos Cackler

If you disagree let me know :smileup:
Last edited by magicdownunder on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:10 am

Is temple of silence over plains end up not working out?

Edit: Enjoying the deck. Almost wondered why not ash zealot over chainwalker but I'm assuming it's to bash carytids.

pikachufan2164
Newcomer

Postby pikachufan2164 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:37 am

Edit: Enjoying the deck. Almost wondered why not ash zealot over chainwalker but I'm assuming it's to bash carytids.
There's a discussion of the deck on Reddit going on right now. Here are Lundgren's thoughts on some of the card choices:
Some of my previous iterations of this deck included Ash Zealot, I cut it because it gets brick-walled by just about everything. I preferred Gore-House because of his ability to attack through Sylvan Caryatid and trade with Nightveil Spectre, as well as not dying to last breath. Rakdos Cackler was probably the worst card I'm the deck, but I'm not sure I'
d replace it with Zealot. Reckoner was primarily for GR Monsters and other creature-heavy decks.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:20 am

Ben Lundgren's Rw Aggro
4 Firedrinker Satyr
2 Rakdos Cackler
2 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Viashino Firstblade
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Spark Trooper

Spells (18)
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Boros Charm
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Skullcrack

Land (22)
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
9 Mountain
2 Plains

Sideboard (15)
2 Satyr Firedancer
4 Searing Blood
2 Skullcrack
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Toil // Trouble (3x in my case, I want to ensure UWx Control stays dead -
if the MU is truly cake, I'll keep the Electrickery)[/deck]
Unlike most burn decks it stomps on UWx Control though it suffers slightly for it against aggro (though the sideboard addresses that with flying colors). This will most likely be the Rw list I'll be testing after my break (its a nice change from RB since its Spells supported by Creatures rather then the Creature supported by Spells set-up I have over on the RB end).

UWx

Are UW running enough creatures to make Firedancer better than GHC here? GHC evades LB and
is an excellent T2 drop that they HAVE to answer.

In: 2 Satyr Firedancer, 4 Searing Blood, 4 Boros Reckoner
Out: 4 Firedrinker Satyr, 2 Rakdos Cackler, 2 Skullcrack, 2 Boros Charm

I could see running a 3rd Firedancer over the 3rd Toil for this and the Ux and Esper Mid match ups.

Bx Devotion

I like GHC here too, trades with Spectre, great T2 play, threat
diversity, soaks up removal before Firstblade and Trooper hit. I'd rather take out 2 Boros Charm.

Agree :)

Initial thoughts are in Red :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:42 am

Also quite like this list. It gets round the problem of Drown in Sorrow by having a lot of "1-shot" creatures like Viashino and Spark Trooper. I also like the idea of Boros charming Spark trooper, although in practice you won't make the 5th land drop and have both cards in hand that often.

Also interesting that he's gone 4 FDS and 2 Cackler. I've been thinking along similar lines myself, as FDS is better against Sylvan Caryatid (and boros charm itself is another way to kill a Caryatid via double strike). Also quite like having Skullcrack MB as a hedge against B/x and U/x (especially as game 2 against U/x is always scary, as they often sideboard in Archangel of Thune or Fiendslayer, which are bombs when you're sided out all of your chained)
Last edited by poppa_f on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:37 am

Initial thoughts are in Red :)
Hmmmm... I agree with your Bx Devotion argument, in regards to UWx Control I play on MODO, MODO runs fiendslayer - I don't answer fiendslayer with this version I will lose. Even if I wasn't playing on MODO, I still want to deal with the Angel and Cat - sadly I don't think we have enough room for Glare.

The third Dancer over T // T does sound reasonable, needs more testing I really disliked the UWx MU back with traditional burn so unless we're really stomping them I want to keep the T // T.

That said I don't believe the 3rd dancer would go in against Gx and Rx Devotion + non-Ux Aggro[/u:
2pk0if9l]
because adding that dancer would = less burn which would = really horrible dancers, it does however do wonders for the Ux and Esper Mid-range MU.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:13 pm

Good point about Fiendslayer, I'd forgotten about him! Cat and Angel makes sense too.

Also wondering if against GR Boros Charm might be better left in than GHC - Courser, Dragon, Fanatic - though that does leave you relying heavily on getting a Dancer in play.

As you say, requires testing :)

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:14 pm

I still can't decide between R/w, R/b and dega for burn post-BotG.

R/w means I can play Chained to the Rocks, Boros Charm, Assemble the Legion, Boros Reckoner and Warleader's Helix. CttR is probably going to get worse as people play more enchantment hate (plenty of decks playing revoke existence and unravel the ether as answers to gods, doubly bad as Boros Charm doesn't protect against these). Helix is slightly less relevant in the current meta as no-one seems to play blitz aggro any more (not in my local meta at least). It's also bad against SBD and Blood Baron (unless I play Satyr Firedancer). The one big plus point for me is that I can play a full set of mutavaults without messing up my fixing too much. Assemble is also a great game 2 plan against MBD

R/W is an option with Brimaz and Elspeth, but I find it just too slow to get going against MBD and U/w

R/b I can play Spike Jester (great against Sylvan
Caryatid), Dreadbore, Ultimate Price, Exava, Thoughtseize, Duress, Rakdos Returns. The downside is Mutavault is worse in this list, but maybe not the end of the world as I have so much hand-hate out of the board (so my U/w match-up is pretty good already). Probably the worst match-up is fast aggro, as I have no lifegain in the deck.

R/B is an option and brings Hero's Downfall, Whip of Erebos, Desecration Demon, Herald of Torment and Lifebane Zombie in to the picture, at the expense of Boros Reckoner.

Dega I get all of the above, but worse fixing and more CITPT lands. Also Mutavault is bad here.

I'm sort of leaning towards R/B, as LBZ is such a house against green decks, which are disproportionately popular in my LGS meta.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:30 am

Good point about Fiendslayer, I'd forgotten about him! Cat and Angel makes sense too.

Also wondering if against GR Boros Charm might be better left in than GHC - Courser, Dragon, Fanatic - though that does leave you relying heavily on getting a Dancer in play.

As you say, requires testing :)
Gorehouse kills carytids so I wouldn't cut them. 2 charms is probably plenty. Besides, you're probably saving them for boros reckoner anyway. Multiple Satyrs stacking is a good argument for somehow sneaking a third somewhere but there just isn't anything I can see to board out though. Swiftblade is potentially the next weakest card in its 2/2 form but with 14 burn, you
don't want to overkill this.

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:09 am

What do you guys think about a singleton Keening Apparition main deck? In my current meta I'm expecting to play mainly G/R, MBC and U/w control, so it has a decentish range against all 3 (courser of kruphrix, underworld connections+whip, detention sphere+blind obedience). Even if it whiffs on enchantments, a 2/1 for 2 isn't terrible. Basically it allows you to maindeck enchantment hate, without being a completely dead draw against decks with no enchantments.

I'm playing in the LGS game day on Sunday, this is my current 75 + SB plan:
deck
[deck]Creature (19)
4x Chandra's Phoenix
4x Firedrinker Satyr
1x Keening Apparition
2x Rakdos Cackler
4x Stormbreath Dragon
4x Young Pyromancer
Sorcery (2)
2x Mizzium Mortars
Enchantment (3)
3x Chained to the Rocks
Planeswalker (2)
2x Chandra, Pyromaster
Land (25)
2x Boros Guildgate
11x Mountain
4x Mutavault
n4x Sacred Foundry
4x Temple of Triumph
Instant (9)
2x Boros Charm
4x Lightning Strike
2x Magma Jet
1x Warleader's Helix
Sideboard (15)
1x Angelic Edict
2x Assemble the Legion
1x Boros Charm
1x Chained to the Rocks
3x Fated Conflagration
2x Glare of Heresy
2x Mizzium Mortars
2x Spirit of the Labyrinth
1x Warleader's Helix

[/deck]
sideboard plan
Mono-Black devotion
OUT: 2 Firedrinker Satyr, 4 Rakdos Cackler, 4 YP
IN: 1 Chained to the Rocks, 2 Assemble, 1 Helix, 2 Mortars, 3 Fated Conflagration, 1 Angelic Edict
(our plan is to survive long enough to resolve an assemble and win with that. Hopefully bait-and-switch on the creatures means they have a hand full of drown in sorrow and bile blight for game 2, which are now pretty useless for them)

G/R
OUT: 2 Firedrinker Satyr, 4 Rakdos Cackler, 2 Magma Jet
IN: 1 Chained to the Rocks, 1 Helix, 2 Mortars, 3 Fated Conflagration, 1 Boros Charm
(burn their
creatures out and use flyers to kill them, Boros charm is relevant for protecting chained and killing domri/xenagos)

U/w
OUT: 3 Chained, 2 Mortars, 1 Magma Jet
IN: 1 Boros Charm, 3 Spirit of the Labyrinth, 2 Glare of Heresy
(Spirit stops Sphinx. Use boros charm to dodge sweepers)

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:33 am

4 Firedrinker Satyr
2 Rakdos Cackler
2 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Viashino Firstblade
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Spark Trooper

Spells (18)
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Boros Charm
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Skullcrack

Land (22)
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
9 Mountain
2 Plains

Sideboard (15)
2 Satyr Firedancer
4 Searing Blood
2 Skullcrack
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Toil // Trouble (3x in my case, I want to ensure UWx Control stays dead - if the MU is truly cake, I'll keep the Electrickery)[/deck]
Unlike most burn decks it stomps on
UWx Control though it suffers slightly for it against aggro (though the sideboard addresses that with flying colors). This will most likely be the Rw list I'll be testing after my break (its a nice change from RB since its Spells supported by Creatures rather then the Creature supported by Spells set-up I have over on the RB end).

UWx

In: 2 Satyr Firedancer, 4 Searing Blood, 4 [card]Boros
Reckoner[/card]
Out: 4 Firedrinker Satyr, 2 Rakdos Cackler, 2 Skullcrack, 2 Boros Charm

Bx Devotion

Keep the elecktrickery. it's the SWEETEST
tech vs. RG mosnters. Think about all the sylvan caryatids you'll kill.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:36 am

Keep the elecktrickery. it's the SWEETEST tech vs. RG mosnters. Think about all the sylvan caryatids you'll kill.
It also great vs Ux Devotion and Esper Aggro, I think the build is already solid against UW - so yes, I agree I'll keep the Electrickery.

BTW I swear this build needs more lands, just look at the amount of 3-drops it runs in the 75 its insane, the question is 23 or 24 lands and what to cut.

zeromuzuki
Newcomer

Postby zeromuzuki » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:42 pm

4 Firedrinker Satyr
2 Rakdos Cackler
2 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Viashino Firstblade
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Spark Trooper

Spells (18)
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Boros Charm
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Skullcrack

Land (22)
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
9 Mountain
2 Plains

Sideboard (15)
2 Satyr Firedancer
4 Searing Blood
2 Skullcrack
4 Boros Reckoner
Unlike most burn decks it stomps
on UWx Control though it suffers slightly for it against aggro (though the sideboard addresses that with flying colors). This will most likely be the Rw list I'll be testing after my break (its a nice change from RB since its Spells supported by Creatures rather then the Creature supported by Spells set-up I have over on the RB end).
Can anyone explain to me why he chose to have the extra 1 drops in Rakdos Cackler? Could those 2 spots be taken away for something else, say like a land like you suggested @Magicdownunder or even cheap removal like shock.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:08 am

Extra one drops makes it more likely to have them in the opener and gives you some.level of protection from bile blights and dspheres.

Also, from rereading this thread, mdu and lazerburn are currently my favorite posters. Smart magic players we have here.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:06 am

I am trying a mix between mdu and z's by main decking 3 Satyr plus searing blood. See if correct.

Edit: Worked well, here's the list I ran
Deck
[deck]
Creatures
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Satyr Firedancer
2 Gore-house chainwalker
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Viashino Swiftblade
3 Spark Trooper

Burn
4 Magma Jet
4 Searing Blood
4 Lightning strike
4 Boros Charm
2 Skullcrack

Land
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Temple of Silence
4 Sacred Foundry
3 Mutavault
9 Mountain

Sideboard
1 Spark Trooper
2 Toil // Trouble
4 Chained to the rocks
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Rakdos Cackler
2 Skullcrack
[/deck]
Match 1 vs Patrick; UB budget Mill

Kid was rebuilding his stockpile of cards after his dad sold them. The game was a bye.

Match 2 vs Jonny; GR monsters

At least it was match 2 before I played my friend. Game 1, I kept a Foundry/Mutavault hand and never hit a 3rd land and got
crushed. Game 2 was much more interesting but I punted on two occasions. One, I jetted his first BTE without seeing his next card which Scavenging ooze and for some reason I didn't kill it too. I had to chain it after it gave him 3 life. While I got him down to 5 with spark troopers and such, Polykronos and Ruric Thar kept me from burning surviving. Game probably would have been quite different if I left that BTE alive. 0-2.I believe I boarded out 4 Firedrinkers, 3 Firstblade, and 2 Skullcrack for 4 Reckoners, 4 Chains, and 1 more Spark Trooper.

Match 3 vs David; GBR monsters

I had a very difficult time game 1 figuring out what he was doing as he mostly played lands and took damage from a Firstblade and Firedancer. He played a turn 5 polykronos which died to a Satyr Firedancer + Lightning strike + Searing blood and swinging for another 3 to put him to 1. He scooped. -2 Magma Jet, -4 Firedrinker, +4 chain, +2 skullcrack (which was a mistake). Game 2, I started with a hand of Firedancer, Charm, Chain,
and lands, one being a mutavault. He plays a turn 3 courser and I decide to let it stay in play turn 3 rather than chain it. He hits for 2. I play my Firedancer leaving boros charm mana up. He end of turn abrupt decays, I charm to kill his courser. He duresses my chain but does nothing else as my mutavault slowly beats him from 15 to 9 while I slow roll a spark trooper as I keep drawing more lands. I skull crack him to 6 end of turn, play the spark trooper to see if he has it and he shows 2 dreadbore. Shrug.

Match 4 vs Brian; BUG control

Game 1 I pretty much beat him to death with firstblades, charms and spark troopers. He plays a Kiora, dissolve, and maybe a hero's downfall before he dies. Having seen so little of his deck, I decided not to remove all my creature removal and did -3 Firedancer, -2 Searing Blood, +1 Spark Trooper, +2 Cackler, +2 Toil. Game 2, I proceed to push Phoenixes past his counterspell and removal, probably killing an early Kiora. He proceeds to play Jace, Memory Adept and mills
me 10, hitting another phoenix. I buy it back, kill Jace. I proceed to get him to 12 with Phoenixes until 1 dies. He plays another Jace and mills my other two phoenixes. Boros charm him to 8 end of turn to get 3 phoenixes back, play 2 my turn (I was "flooding"), slam for 6 to get him to 2 and he finds no way to dig out. He tells me after the game he runs 0 creatures and I let him know he was better off +1'ing Jace rather than milling out a guy playing Phoenixes.

Top 8 match vs Jordan; WR Heroic

This poor kid couldn't catch a break. This store was doing 1st free mulligan and game 1 he still mulls to 6 keeping a 1 land hand. I run him over with Gore-House and swarm. +4 Reckoners, +2 chain, -2 Skullcrack, -4 Firedrinker. Game 2 he now mulls to 5 and I'm holding a firstblade heavy hand with one spark trooper. He plays an early hoplite and that 1/1 double strike guy. I choose to kill the double strike one while he's tapped out. I save burn in response to madcap skills + trigger. He god's
willing, countering his Madcap but leaving him a 3/4 that's outside my burn range. Here is where I punt amazingly hard at 12 life and him at 14. Instead of playing a spark trooper + tapped shockland to get me back to 18, I play a first blade instead of a boros reckoner, shock myself, keeping mana open for lightning strike. He had one card in hand so I decided I should be the aggressor and play around burn which I damn well should know heroic doesn't run. He boros charms his hoplite for 10 damage exactly. Game 3 I board out 2 Gore-House for 2 more chains and vow to play control like a proper boy. He mulls to 5 again, has to keep a one land hand. I keep a hand with 2 R lands + Mutavault, Firedancer, Searing Blood, a chain, and something else. Turn one he plays that lifelink Eidolon. Turn 2 I play Firedancer. Turn 2 he plays tapped land + Hoplite. I searing blood to kill both his creatures and he scoops after 2 turns of Satyr/Mutavault beatings while I hold up mana for another searing blood and two chains in
hand.

Split at top 4.

Other than GR, I think I played some less than stellar decks but the pieces felt right. I had tried maindeck Firedancers for a couple weeks and was quite happy and finally get a playset of Searing Blood this week was a huge improvement. I think I'm settled on maindeck Satyr over chains for more aggression and a better answer to the pro white creatures. First week I didn't run Shock and frankly, I didn't miss it at all. I think I want another land in general and another red mana in particular so I might put a mountain or a temple of Malice in. I would probably cut a cackler sideboard as it still feels like the deck's weakest card. I just don't have a clue what in maindeck to move sideboard.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:06 am

Extra one drops makes it more likely to have them in the opener and gives you some.level of protection from bile blights and dspheres.

Also, from rereading this thread, mdu and lazerburn are currently my favorite posters. Smart magic players we have here.
Thanks LP, that means a lot coming from someone who I rate very highly as both a player and a poster :)

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:11 am

MDU, I'm screwing around with siding one charm for 23rd land and changing toil to dragons. Which means I suppose you don't need the black splash lands at all anymore. Is the scry worth it?
Last edited by Elricity on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:36 am

Just came back from game day and wanted to get this down while it is fresh. Made some tweaks a couple hours before going based on a lot of the suggestions here which helped a lot. Finally didn't have to play my friend tonight which was nice.

[deck]
Creatures
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Satyr Firedancer
2 Gore-house chainwalker
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Viashino Swiftblade
3 Spark Trooper

Burn
4 Magma Jet
4 Searing Blood
4 Lightning strike
3 Boros Charm
2 Skullcrack

Land
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Temple of Silence
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Sacred Foundry
3 Mutavault
9 Mountain

Sideboard
1 Spark Trooper
2 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Chained to the rocks
4 Boros Reckoner
1 Satyr Firedancer
1 Boros Charm
2 Skullcrack[/deck]
Match 1 vs Bant midrange
This was an odd deck that I only found out the cards for after. Kiora's follower, carytid, courser of Kruphix, trostani, prophet of kruphix,
archangel of thune, sphinx's rev.

Game 1 on the draw, I turn one firedrinker satyr and he turn two's [card]kiora's follower[/card]. Turn 2, I searing blood and swing to put him to 15. He plays another follower, I searing blood and take him to 10. He d-sphere's a chainwalker but a couple more hits from FDS and he scoops turn 6 at 6 life. I sideboard out two boros charm for stormbreath dragon since I'm relatively clueless on what he's playing and honestly wasn't expecting verdict with the mana dorks I'd seen.

Game 2, i play a turn 2 satyr firedancer and he plays a turn 4 courser of kruphix. I play a 2nd satyr and pass while he turtles. I jet him to set up for stormbreath and double satyr trigger to kill the courser and swing, getting him to 17. He verdicts which I didn't expect from a creature deck but I was ok with the trade. Stormbreath dragon swats him 3 times and a top decked phoenix gets him to 3 while I'm
holding skullcrack to wait for him to tap out. He sphinx's and I kill him.

This deck should have destroyed me but its cards came online so slow that I didn't know what it did game one.
Match 2 vs all in red
Game 1, he is spamming out cacklers, chainwalkers, and legion loyalists. I'm removing as much as I can but my own firedrinker satyr wasn't a lot of help. I tried to get back in the game with a spark trooper when he tapped out to get the life totals back to 13 me, 10 him. I use a firedancer to skullcrack a guy getting him to 7 but he lays down even more guys and last turn slams down a legion loyalist to trample over my dancer for exact damage. I sideboard out 2 skullcrack, 1gore-house, 4 firedrinker, 4 viashino firstblade for 4 reckoner, 1 spark trooper, 1 dancer, 1 boros charm, 4 chains.

Game 2, he starts off turn 1 with a legion loyalist, I respond with turn 2 dancer. He plays a firedrinker. I searing blood his firedrinker instead of something
else, missing a point of damage but still 2 for 1'ing two of his creatures with dancer getting him to 15. Next turn, I searing blood him to 12 killing two more creatures. He finally has enough and lightning strikes the dancer. I play a reckoner on an empty board/hand at 9 life me vs 12 and hold it back which was a mistake as he draws 2 cards doing nothing while I poke him down with a phoenix. They probably weren't burn but I didn't need to give him outs I think. Anyway, spark trooper finishes him off with the alpha strike.

Game 3, he is slowly whittling me down with legion loyalist to 12 while I dancer/charm a creature. I feed a couple creatures to lightning strikes and slip a trooper in to get life totals to 16 vs 10. I start burning my 3 chains on foundry denizen's and cacklers. I get a phoenix down and we trade for a few turns until it's 6 life vs 4. He kills a phoenix, I jet it back, swing out for lethal.
Match 3 vs UW heroic
This was awkward.
I'm on the play. He mulled to 5, I mulled to 6. Turn 1, he plays a favored hoplite. Turn 2, I don't immediately strike it hoping for the obvious two for one. He puts an aura on it, I strike it, he god's willing to protect it to save it. I don't have enough burn to kill it as a 3/4 and him giving it gift of orzohva finishes me off.

I board out 4 FDS, 2 chainwalker, 4 firstblade, 1 searing blood (since it's bad once it's tronned). +2 skullcrack, +1 dancer, 2, dragons, 1 charm, 1 spark trooper, 4 chain. Plan was just to remove his 1-2 key creatures and finish with...anything.

Game 2, he mulls to 5 again. He ethereal armor's a hopeful eidolon and gets 3 life before I resolve a dancer followed by boros charm to remove when he taps out to play hero of irosa. He pants the hell out of the hero but has to tap out his white
so I chain it to the rocks. 2 dancers and a phoenix beat him to a slow death.

Game 3, we both mull to 6. I searing blood his first naked creature without trying to be cute waiting to counter auras. He armors another eidolon, plays a naked hero, and gets me to 9 and him to 26 while I focus on getting 2 dancers on the board. I untap, boros charm him, trigger to kill both creatures. He braves, I skullcrack him and target them again and sweep them getting him back to 17 after swinging with the 2 dancers. The rest of the game consisted of me murdering each creature he played while burning him down and dancing on his face.
I chat for a bit with another player who was doing the Z style creature light burn deck but he's missing both chains and reckoners sideboard.
Match 4 vs UW control
I knew going in what I was facing and was confident after the changes and MDU/Kait's advice. By now, word has gotten around that I'm burning faces and everyone is scared of
playing me.

Game 1, On the play. Turn one firedrinker, turn 2 chainwalker with mutavault, turn 3 shock myself to telegraph a boros charm. Rather than walk into it, he scry lands and d-sphere's the chainwalker. I jet him in response, setting up whatever the draws were. I keep up the boros charm until I don't need it anymore and rage him down. Boarded out 4 searing blood and one dancer. Didn't want to board out all 3 in case he boards in fiendslayer, Brimaz or Thune (I later find out he chose Brimaz/Thune). +2 dragon, 2 skullcrack, 1 boros charm.

Game 2, we both mull to 6. I turn one firedrinker, turn 2 firebreath him to 17 stuck on 2 lands. He d-spheres it. Turn 3, top deck is the shock land I need to play a firstblade to get him to 13. Firstblade dies, to last breath, I strike him to 10. He has no answer to back to back spark troopers and dies.
Match 5 was an intentional draw and he went to get food so I didn't find out what he was playing. I roamed the
tables like a lost hobo for over an hour while things get set up. I find out I go into top 8 at 1st place so I'm guaranteed to go first every matchup now. Weee! They do a secret ballot and someone agrees not to split around a $20 fund which was actually ok with me since we were playing for the mat regardless. Just meant I had to win to get the remaining store credit for my free mutavault.
Top 8 match vs black devotion
We both mull to 6. Turn 1 mutavault, turn 2 shockland to swing mutavault. He plays a land tapped on his turn so on turn 3 I firstblade him to 14. Turn 3, he plays nightveil which I have to swing firstblade into and finish with searing blood to get him to 11. He plays another specter which I use a sandbagged dancer and skullcrack to remove which he downfalls next turn. That leaves him open to spark trooper which takes him to 2 with jet in hand.

-3 spark trooper, -4 jet, +4 chain, 1 charm, 2 skullcrack.

I mull to 5 keeping a mutavault, phoenix, a shock land, and 2 scry
lands. He turn 1 duresses me and cries as he blanks. I find out he's stuck on two lands as I take not a point of damage, resolve the phoenix and burn every potential blocker he would have while he focuses on killing my other creatures. He finally gets a 4th land at 8 life while I have a charm, strike and skullcrack in hand. He tries every possible combination of cards in his hand to see how he can live, has no outs, and dies. He was fairly bummed out so we chat for a minute. He tells me he pulled out his thoughtsiezes which I agree with MDU was a big mistake.
This time everyone agrees to split so I'm at $53 credit with a $10 buy in.
Top 4 vs Bant midrange
Same guy from my first match. This time, I knew what was coming since I got to watch his deck work while I was prowling earlier. Gameplan was simple. Crush him out game 1 on the play like I had previously, pray game 2, and crush him game 3 on the play if needed. He comes down to the table praying. I banter
while I take the time to board back. It would have been nice to get a break but people were getting tired so I hurry up.

Game 1 goes to plan. I get him down to 7 between chainwalker, 2 phoenix, and 2 of his shocklands. He plays Brimaz and follows up next turn with Trostani, swings, getting him to 8. I boros charm him with 2 phoenix for the finish.

Using my new knowledge, I sideboard as best I can for game 1. I pull out all my firedrinker satyr, chainwalker, and firstblade as I expect them to get walled. In hindsight, I should have kept the firedrinkers since they can firebreath trade. +4 chain. +2 dragon, +2 crack, +1 charm, +1 dancer.

Game 2, I chain a courser, he plays trostani. He d-sphere's the chain, I chain it again but he is steadly gaining life. I get him back to 10 with phoenix and spark trooper before he verdicts and tries to set back up. I land flood, never get burn to get my phoenixes back and I watch him rev twice, trostani, courser, and finally archangel of thune ending at over 30
life.

Game 3, I board back into aggro mode and crush him down to 8 while shocking/firebreathing myself like my life total ain't no thing. With 2 lightning strikes in hand and 2 mana open and 2 down, he taps out to play Thune vs my firedrinker satyr, chainwalker, and firstblade. I pause for what was probably 5 minutes while I visibly math out in front of him whether it was right to strike end of turn, strike again, and save 2 mana for firedrinker. Somehow I was convinced it wasn't that simple. Math is correct so I swing out, strike for finish. Topdeck was a gate and I was not interested in seeing what his next play would have been.
Top 2 vs GW aggro
It's an assembly line as my last opponent sits down. I'd already scouted him and it was basic voice/boon satyr/advent wurm/etc. The other burn player thought this would be a bad matchup for some reason. I'm already thinking through priority rules in my head to make sure something works the way I want
it to. It comes up game 2.

Game 1, I agressively shockland myself and burn everything he has while swinging in with firedrinker before I finally use it to trade with voice. Mutavault and then phoenix get him to 12 while I keep burning anything I can.I resolve a dancer and clean him up.

+2 dragon, +4 chain, +4 reckoner, +1 dancer, +1 charm. -2 gore-house, -2 skullcrack, -4 firedrinker, -4 firstblade. I just needed to play control until I resolved an evasive beater.

Game 2, so yeah, it kind of turned out differently. He turn 2 plays voice, I turn 2 dancer. He plays a centaur token from call of the conclave. I searing blood his voice, let the judge know what I'm up to and explain the stack as the token comes in before the searing blood trigger to the face resolves allowing my dancer to kill the fresh token. I take a couple more hits from centaur tokens going to 10 before I move into burn the world mode, smashing his life total down while removing his creatures. I jet him to 10, setting up a 5th
land so I can play a reckoner that turn (I almost screwed that up), leaving 2 mana open for 2 boros charms in hand. I intentionally don't charm at the end of my turn as I want him to have free voice tokens for my reckoner to swing into. I charm him end of his turn, taking his advice to kill a centaur. He forgets his voice token trigger while everyone watches on. I almost reminded him since I actually wanted him to have dudes but i had exact anyway with another charm in hand. I swing reckoner into a "surprise" advent token, redirect the damage to him and boros charm him for the finish.
Both satyrs were the mvp of the night. Firedrinker raced them down, traded up, and generally left opponents in unwinnable positions. Firedancer maindeck is 100% the right call for now. Unanswered, it takes over the game like Young Pyromancer did last season. Even against removal decks, it was never awkward as I could hold it until they tapped out for something good, play the dancer
plus charm or skullcrack or something to turn it into removal and be happy with the 2 for 2 plus burn to face when they removed it the following turn. 3 of seems right mainboard but the 4th belongs in the sideboard for all the match ups that don't have solid removal for it. Once two are on the field, the game is basically over unless you draw blanks. It changed board states from unwinnable to unlosable in many of my games. Plus, it's interaction with searing blood is just stupidly amazing.

Leave the chains in the sideboard. You don't need them game 1.

I'm going to swap the temple of silence with a 4th mutavault once I get it from the store.

I'm not sure if they were kidding but when people heard I wouldn't show up for game day tomorrow, they said they would actually show up tomorrow rather than skip. :evillol:

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:46 am

That was a good read and a very interesting take on the brews.

..... going to go build the list now.....

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Wow, this looks good. If you play Firedancer main, wouldn't Warleader's Helix over Spark Trooper make sense?
MTGO handle: Clemens268

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:01 pm

I decided to play Zman's list that he took to the GP with a couple of edits based on the cards I had (Only 3 Firedancers) and metagame (There's not as much mono-black).

[deck=Zman's Rw Burn with a couple tweaks]Creatures (11)
4 Ash Zealot
3 Satyr Firedancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Spells (26)
3 Shock
4 Boros Charm
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Searing Blood
3 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

Land (23)
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Mutavault
9 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Firedrinker Satyr
1 Skullcrack
3 Spark Trooper
3 Toil // Trouble[/deck]

I don't quite remember all the details of the matches but I do remember some sticking points for each one.
Round 1 vs GB Homebrew Control
A GB home brew control deck that is surprisingly good. It could use a bit of refinement, but it showed me that Rw in general has a big weakness to
GB decks. In particular, abrupt decay and golgari charm are almost blow outs. They completely hard counter chained to the rocks and if those rocks had a desecration demon chained to them that can easily be game right there. Boros Charm can protect them, but that's not where the deck wants to be (and I never had a chance). Searing blood is a surprisingly good card even against creatures that are way bigger than 2, like demons. I think my favorite interaction is searing blood + bird in the graveyard. Kill a dude, deal 3, and draw a card is pretty good for [mana]RR[/mana]. I wish there was more 4+ damage burn spells as they combine well with searing blood. I also like suiciding birds into creatures and then killing the creature with searing blood and then getting my bird back.

I won this one 2-0.
Round 2 vs GR Monsters
Zman commented that GR monsters is a hard match up for burn. He wasn't fucking kidding. I went 2-1 in this match up
and the all stars were Firedancer Satyr, Chained to the Rocks, Warleader's Helix, and Spark Trooper. In the final game, I probably gained 20 life using those cards. Actually, in retrospect, the match seems to be almost unwinnable without a resolved Firedancer. The deck needs to not only 2 for 1 as much as it can but also point as much 4 damage burn as it can toward the big creatures GR is going to play.

I found that most threatening cards that they can play weren't the big guys really. Those were surprisingly easy to deal with or simply not relevant unless they're played very early. The dangerous cards were the ones that gained them life, Scavenging Ooze and Courser of Kruphix. If those cards are left unchecked they will basically put the game out of reach. I lost the 2nd game to the ooze.

I won this one 2-1.
Round 3 vs GBW Homebrew Midrange
This was absolute hell. Combine all of GB's enchantment removal with Scavenging Ooze, Courser of Kruphix,
Blood Baron of Vizkopa, Obezdat, Ghoust Counci, and Whip of Erebos for lifegain was just too much. I was sort of close to winning game 1 but he drew all of bile blights and a sylvan primordial with a whip just shut me down. In game 2, double blood baron plus a ghost dad shut me down as well. I think this sort of deck is the absolute worst match up for this deck. It combines big guys with life gain and relevant removal. I'm close to saying that this match up is unwinnable unless the other guy is completely screwed over somehow.

I lost 0-2
Round 4 vs Esper Control (Cheaper Variant, he's working on getting all the cards)
This was surprisingly easy. In the first game, I'm able to curve out while he was color screwed for 1 blue. In the second game, my opening hand had something like... 15 points of burn in it. A turn 1 mutavault swing into even more burn and land drops shuts the game down quick. I'm able to trouble for 4 on turn 3. I was hoping
for 6.

I won 2-0.
I went 3-1 for 2nd place for my first time playing a burn deck at a competition. The deck is strong but it's bad for my heart. I told the GWB player who won the tournament afterward that it's a lot like having sex when your girlfriend is about to come. You need to keep going but you have to watch yourself because if you come, you lose, it's over, and she doesn't her cookie. However, if you can keep yourself going, she comes, you come, and you won. Playing this deck is a lot like that. You're walking the line between losing and winning and even a single mistake can send you spiraling out control and becoming the worst lover she's ever had. The deck feels like it has just enough power to win and no more.

I'm going to continue playing this list for awhile. It forces you to play well or lose and I think it'll make me a better player. I'll probably change to the complete line up Zman posted now that I got my last firedancer.

One other thing, another
guy was running a homebrew Rw burn deck with young pyromancer, very similar to this list, he took 3rd and also lost to the junk player, but otherwise did well.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:11 pm

Wow, this looks good. If you play Firedancer main, wouldn't Warleader's Helix over Spark Trooper make sense?
Sounds like a good plan imo.

[deck]Creatures
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Satyr Firedancer
2 Gore-house chainwalker
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Viashino Swiftblade

Burn
4 Magma Jet
4 Searing Blood
4 Lightning strike
3 Warleader's Helix
3 Boros Charm
2 Skullcrack

Land
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Mutavault
9 Mountain

Sideboard
2 Spark Trooper
2 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Chained to the rocks
3 Boros Reckoner
1 Satyr Firedancer
1 Boros Charm
2 Skullcrack[/deck]

Maybe?

EDIT: I tried Ben's list Subbing 1 Boros Charm for an extra Mountain - I did go 3-0 but its was just barely because I
keep getting flooded out (though that is the variance stick, since I also seem to mull all my hands with my RB list running 25 lands..).

I'll try the list with Dancer and friends tomorrow.

montu

Postby montu » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:48 pm

Sounds like a good plan imo.

[deck]Creatures
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Satyr Firedancer
2 Gore-house chainwalker
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Viashino Swiftblade

Burn
4 Magma Jet
4 Searing Blood
4 Lightning strike
3 Warleader's Helix
3 Boros Charm
2 Skullcrack

Land
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Mutavault
9 Mountain

Sideboard
2 Spark Trooper
2 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Chained to the rocks
3 Boros Reckoner
1 Satyr Firedancer
n1 Boros Charm
2 Skullcrack[/deck]

Maybe?

EDIT: I tried Ben's list Subbing 1 Boros Charm for an extra Mountain - I did go 3-0 but its was just barely because I keep getting flooded out (though that is the variance stick, since I also seem to mull all my hands with my RB list running 25 lands..).

I'll try the list with Dancer and friends tomorrow.
I'm going to give this build a test run. Although, I'm taking out the 2 Chainwalkers and adding 1 Firedancer and 1 Skullcrack.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:59 pm

I'm going to give this build a test run. Although, I'm taking out the 2 Chainwalkers and adding 1 Firedancer and 1 Skullcrack.
LOLS I was going to say I just went 3-0 with it and I was really unimpressed by Chainwalker :rofl:

What are you tossing the the SB? 2x Toil // Trouble?

montu

Postby montu » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:16 am

LOLS I was going to say I just went 3-0 with it and I was really unimpressed by Chainwalker :rofl:

What are you tossing the the SB? 2x Toil // Trouble?
Chainwalker just doesn't make sense in the build. It's a burn(ish) deck. Firedrinker provides a 1-drop threat and helps with mana efficiency, so I think it's a keeper. [card]Viashino
Firstblade[/card] acts as a Charm with some left-over board presence, so that's burn-ish enough.

Firedancer, imo, is 4 or nothing, so that's an easy replacement for 1 Chainwalker. I'm not 100% sure yet what to put in for the 2nd . . . Skullcrack, Charm, or Helix.

For the SB, I'm still giving that some thought. For now, I've just "rounded out" with an extra Reckoner and Warleader's Helix. I'm not inclined to play Toil / Trouble without Temple of Silence.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:08 am

I decided to go with:

[deck=DtR's Rw Aggro]Land 23
9 Mountain
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Sacred Foundry
3 Mutavault
2 Boros Guildgate
1 Plain

Creatures 16
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Satyr Firedancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Viashino Swiftblade

Burn 21
4 Magma Jet
4 Searing Blood
4 Lightning strike
4 Warleader's Helix
3 Boros Charm
2 Skullcrack

Sideboard 15
2 Spark Trooper
2 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Chained to the rocks
4 Boros Reckoner
1 Boros Charm
2 Skullcrack[/deck]

I went 3-0 then 2-1 losing against Rw burn (lols) he hit more Searing Blood and Warleader's Helix then I did :(

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:37 am

As much as I talked up satyr, I'm not sure 4 main is right. Against a number of decks, you don't want to play it early. I also was never disappointed in chainwalker. It increased my number of turn 2 plays and I only beat several of my opponents because I curved out and goldfished. Helix over spark makes sense in hindsight. The extra 2 probably mattered once or twice though. Having some to dodge sideboard duress though was nice.

montu

Postby montu » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:02 am

As much as I talked up satyr, I'm not sure 4 main is right. Against a number of decks, you don't want to play it early. I also was never disappointed in chainwalker. It increased my number of turn 2 plays and I only beat several of my opponents because I curved out and goldfished. Helix over spark makes sense in hindsight. The extra 2 probably mattered once or twice though. Having some to dodge sideboard duress though was nice.
My main concern with only 3 Firedancer is it very quickly becomes the target of any removal they have.

Anyway, I LOVE killing dragons with a Firedancer and a Charm. I'm thinking Charm should be 4 in the MB.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:52 am

I thought so too at first but two things. One, z is right that 2 dancers is too slow in a lot of matchups.

Two, the decks that play serious removal have to get rid of your other creatures or tap out to interact which is when you can slip in a dancer and burn. Honestly, if it turns a single charm into blocker removal, it has done its job there. You are not the control deck in those matches.

montu

Postby montu » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:59 am

I thought so too at first but two things. One, z is right that 2 dancers is too slow in a lot of matchups.

Two, the decks that play serious removal have to get rid of your other creatures or tap out to interact which is when you can slip in a dancer and burn. Honestly, if it turns a single charm into blocker removal, it has done its job there. You are not the control deck in those matches.
Thanks. Some great thoughts.

I'm still pretty much a tactical player. My strategic thinking requires a lot of work.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:08 pm

[deck=MDU's Rw Aggro]Land 23
9 Mountain
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Sacred Foundry
3 Mutavault
2 Boros Guildgate
1 Plain

Creatures 17
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Satyr Firedancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Viashino Swiftblade
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Burn 20
4 Magma Jet
4 Searing Blood
4 Lightning strike
4 Warleader's Helix
4 Boros Charm

Sideboard 15
1 Viashino Firstblade
2 Spark Trooper
4 Chained to the rocks
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Skullcrack[/deck]

#test

Stormbreath Dragon is quite good vs Gx, Ux, Wx and Rx
Viashino Firstblade is quite good vs UWx and Bx
Firedrinker Satyr is quite good vs UWx and Bx - it does a decent job at killing walls as well

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:21 pm

MDU, how do you feel about Oracle of Bones as SB tech vs control?

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:24 pm

I think its HORRIBLE overpriced Viashino Swiftblade which is only somewhat decent with T // T except you only really want to cast T // T after a huge draw.

Are you switching to Rw over RB tyreal or just playing a little of both?

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:34 pm

I just want to find a use for my playset of Oracle of Bones haha ;)

Sadly, I can only afford to play one deck at a time due to budget restrictions (paper magic is expensive woah). I'll stick with RB for now :)

Well I might be able to play 2 if AIR becomes a viable archetype again :p

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:34 pm

Yeah, I started off trying 4 oracle...then 3...then 2...1...none. Too magical christmas land. It probably wants to sit alongside draw spells to keep your hand fresh with broken spells.

MDU, gut instinct is to say your last version goes bigger which just weakens your control matchup without improving GR that much? Maybe I'm wrong. I didn't face GR on Game Day so I dodged a bullet. How is Stormbreath good against GR? I brought it in for GWx all the time but never would have thought to do so versus monsters.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:43 pm

Firedrinker Satyr is quickly becoming a much better card now that Gr and Jund Monsters is increasing in popularity. Nothing is more important than attacking through a Caryatid. Viashino Firstblade is also very good at this.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:19 pm

Seriously, it's only remaining bad game 1 matchup is the mirror.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:23 pm

The Dragons Fly and have Haste so it will ALWAYS deal at least 4 damage against Gr, if they don't have an answer (which is often) it will deal more.

Its also really difficult for UWx to deal with ;-)

Return to “Archives”