Kaze's Newbie Mafia (Mafia Win)

Moderators: Stardust, Manders

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby rcwraspy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Ah, right. I only explained why it's not scummy, not why it's townie. Maybe you can tell me. What motivation would townIso have for posting something like that?
Well, if someone comes galloping in agreeing but using the wrong color, that would sure be a big sign. I guess the next logical thing to look at from there is why checkbox seemed to take exception to it.

But I know where TubeHunter is coming from. I feel like we need some more discourse in here to get the clues flowing.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Ah, right. I only explained why it's not scummy, not why it's townie. Maybe you can tell me. What motivation would townIso have for posting something like that?
By forcing out fellow town? Right after, Imopen made a post that would seem to many that he was a town player as well. If Iso is indeed town, a gambit used to narrow out fellow town is worth it i think? It was a sketchy play to make if he was scum, so I am inclined to lean towards him being town for now.

imopen2
Tire Aficionado

Postby imopen2 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:44 pm

So, imopen is now confirmed town to me.

Now, let's do things.

Right now, we're still (sort of) in RVS. My opening post was a gambit to lure out the next poster to see their response.

Kaze's from MafiaScum, so townies are green in role PMs (instead of blue, like on MTGS).

I know this because I have a green role. :teach:

Any questions?
I'm think we are going to get along this game :)

Unvote, Vote Checkbox
Kijin Zabuza: My pokemon cards bring the boys to the yard
Kijin Zabuza: And they're like, "Oh **** he has cards"
TwinBGenerationX: damn right
TwinBGenerationX: I wanna trade cards I could trade you, BUT NOT MY CHARIZARD!

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Yeah, you guys got it! Imagine too if someone had come out with "Of course town is blue! Vote Iso." Awesome potential value for the town, questionable potential value for the scum makes Iso most likely town.
҉

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:55 pm

vote: Checkbox

Let's see what Mr. Hairbrush has to say for himself.

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Now that the Checkbox wagon is apparently a real wagon, it's time to talk about convention. At this stage of the game, as soon as the fifth vote is placed on someone, that's a lynch. There's nothing we can do to stop it once it hits. So, to avoid people accidentally getting hammered, typically the person under fire will be asked to claim their role at L-2 (lynch minus 2, in this case, 3 votes). Checkbox is there right now, which is a bit fast for my liking since we haven't even seen his reaction to our votes. There are plenty of people looking to vote Checkbox, which under normal circumstances would be a perfect time to ask for a claim, but at the moment I'm going to ask for two things.

1) No one else vote Checkbox until further notice. We will at least ask for a claim from him first to avoid accidentally lynching a power role.
2) Checkbox, don't claim yet. You're at L-2, but
we're going to talk before we get there.

Sound good?

Preview edit:
Unvote.

Suga, why did you think a fourth vote was necessary at this point? Are you actually pushing Checkbox for a claim?
҉

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:58 pm

I do want a claim from Checkbox.

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Throw down a case. Now.
҉

imopen2
Tire Aficionado

Postby imopen2 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:12 pm

Why Lisa, why why!?

God, slow your roll a little..

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Jesus, that post was enough for 3 votes, huh? I'm having trouble finding any real reasoning for anyone voting me. Anyone want to actually explain the wagon?

as for my post; I saw what iso was doing very sketchy, if not scummy (this is my second game, so I'm not terribly great at scumtells yet). Considering he made his initial post as the second post of the game, right in the heart of RVS, and actually mentioned something as telling as PM role color, I was very confused as to why he was doing what he was doing, hence the question. I guess everyone else saw that as putting pressure on him, which I was, because I wanted an explanation for so obviously foregoing RVS for no immediate, apparent gain whether he is town or scum. It raised a red flag so I asked a question; and I'm still waiting for an explanation I can buy.

I can't quite get behind stardust's explanation of his play; if he is scum, it is a sketchy play - I
follow you that far. But I still dont get understand why it makes you think he is town; maybe he only considered it a "haha" way to start the game, but I just dont see what he has to gain by doing that as town.
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
it's not cheating if you hand her the jizz afterwards
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Jesus, that post was enough for 3 votes, huh? I'm having trouble finding any real reasoning for anyone voting me. Anyone want to actually explain the wagon?
DroppinSuga will be doing the honours in his next post.
...but I just dont see what he has to gain by doing that as town.
Is imopen2 town or scum?

You speak about RVS like it's some great thing that benefits the town, something that Iso denied us. Can you explain that thought process? What's so great about RVS?
҉

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:26 pm

Yeah, you guys got it! Imagine too if someone had come out with "Of course town is blue! Vote Iso." Awesome potential value for the town, questionable potential value for the scum makes Iso most likely town.
I see what he was doing now, but I don't know why it makes him.town. Seems scummy to me; as town, you're trying to hunt scum, not town. I guess it makes a bit more sense given his tip that he gave you about sniffing out town rather than sniffing out scum, but it still just doesn't sit right with me.

also, I dont necessarily find anything sacred about RVS, I was just trying to figure out why he would come out of the gate with the meta info like that. I guess it got the game going, so that's something
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:30 pm

I guess it just seems shady to me to try and catch players (new ones especially) tripping up about something as meta as the color of your role in your pm. It may not be scummy in game, but it seems like a shady thing to do
whisper words of wisdom

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:37 pm

I see what he was doing now, but I don't know why it makes him.town. Seems scummy to me; as town, you're trying to hunt scum, not town. I guess it makes a bit more sense given his tip that he gave you about sniffing out town rather than sniffing out scum, but it still just doesn't sit right with me.
Why would scum "hunt town" by getting them to prove they're town? That's working completely against their goals. You're clinging to this as scummy without even thinking about it, which is what's actually scummy here.
҉

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:40 pm

So the next question is; how likely is it that Iso was actually gambling that post as scum? it doesn't seem like a very "townie" way to find town, even if what he did does benefit the town by sniffing one out - it also benefits him by painting him in a very "townie" light on the surface. Seems like a scummy way to gain townie rep to me.

FOS Iso. I still like my vote where it is as he suga is calling for a claim after I posted zero relevant things.
whisper words of wisdom

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Random votes are usually frowned upon and are seen as more of a scummy thing to do. I know Mr. Box's vote wasn't random, per se, but to me, it's a scummy thing to do and shouldn't be done by new or old players.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:42 pm

Why would scum "hunt town" by getting them to prove they're town? That's working completely against their goals. You're clinging to this as scummy without even thinking about it, which is what's actually scummy here.[/quote:
3ed0a8as]

I understand scum dont even have to hunt town, but to me it seems like it gives iso rep as a townie in a scummy way. He only really benefitted imopen2 here, and himself if we believe that he did what he did as a townie. I'm not saying 100% he's scummy, jm just saying I dont quite buy it
whisper words of wisdom

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:42 pm

Random votes are usually frowned upon and are seen as more of a scummy thing to do. I know Mr. Box's vote wasn't random, per se, but to me, it's a scummy thing to do and shouldn't be done by new or old players.
you do know RVS is a thing, right? Its not scummy in the first post of the game. Yup, I like my vote right where it is.
whisper words of wisdom

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:45 pm

RVS is bullshit, IMO.

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:46 pm

Wait, you're talking about when he voted for you!? I know you come from a different style of mafia, but the only questionable thing about Checkbox's first post is that his reasoning might have felt forced - like he needed a target for a reason rather than just to kick things off. How do you start games where you come from?

Would you still be voting him if he'd voted for someone other than you?
҉

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:48 pm

I would still vote for him regardless. I don't like a random first vote and I don't like a random first vote with a stupid reason even more.

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:49 pm

I don't even want a full claim from Boxxy in case he's a PR, I just want some confirmation that he's town.

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:51 pm

How will a claim give you any confirmation unless he is a PR?

What did you think of my first vote? It was essentially naked.
҉

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:52 pm

The only game I've ever played in was the game that fizzled here on DTR. RVS is something I assumed happened; I mean, when you start off, you have basically nothing to go on. Go look at the first few posts of that game and you will understand where I'm coming from (I didn't even start that game, I replaced in; so this is basically my first real game.)
whisper words of wisdom

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:11 pm

everything suga has done looks much more scummy than anything else so far...

Vote: DroppinSuga

RedNihilist
Tire Aficionado

Postby RedNihilist » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:22 pm

Vote: DroppingSuga

I may be wrong but he has effectively been too aggressive in his voting (I'll comment on the issue later, now I've got to go).

imopen2
Tire Aficionado

Postby imopen2 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:27 pm

What do you expect, suga? You may not like RVS but it is a part of the game and I don't think it is scummy. Didn't like the 4th vote on checkbox and I don't like how you are jumping on him for what I view as a pretty innocent RVS post. Let's see a claim from checkbox but I've got a FOS on you Suga.

From a scum perspective you have a lot of incentive to put checkbox at L-1 and hope for a new player to hammer. Either you are causing a mislynch or bussing the shit out of your scum-buddy.

From a town perspective it just looks overly aggressive

imopen2
Tire Aficionado

Postby imopen2 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Great, narted by two suga votes..carry on..

imopen2
Tire Aficionado

Postby imopen2 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Nathed*

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:29 pm

I'm not doing anything close to claiming until someone comes up with a real reason for the wagon. Suga obviously didn't deliver, so I'd like to hear from Iso and/or Stardust on the matter.
whisper words of wisdom

Iso
Tire Aficionado

Postby Iso » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:28 pm

Clownfish, the way Mafia is played here, you always want a day lynch. There's pretty much no info given out at night other than anything a PR may give. At other sites I've played, there's detailed night write ups and at those sites, a day lynch is not always useful.
Thanks for answering the question, CLOWNFISH. :x
My push is based on...
well, I'll let someone else try to guess before I drop the reveal on that. I can assure you that my vote is not humorous, nor is it (intentionally, if at all) based on a flawed premise. Do you seriously see nothing strange about his post?
I think you misunderstood me. What I meant is that it seemed like Checkbox's post falls into the humorous and/or flawed category, not yours. Other than the things I have already discussed, I don't see anything all that suspicious.
Ah, my mistake. :) Enough people have commented now that I think I'll drop the bomb at the end of this post.
Generally, it's blue/green = town, gray = neutral, red = mafia. You start to see some weird colors when cults and double scumteams
are involved, but we also know there are no Neutrals and only 2 scum in this game. :)
Have you played in more games with Kaze?
I'm in one on-going game with Kaze (and on-going games are taboo to discuss for as long as they're on-going). Why do you ask?
You can draw connections from bodies, voting, and lynches. It's always best to put behavioral analysis first, setup-gaming second, unless there are known quantities about the setup in question.

Such as this one. :awesome:
Given the known quantities in this case, do you know under what circumstances it would be wise as townie to push for mass claiming?
There are two instances in which a massclaim (all players claiming) are generally
regarded as useful.

Situation 1: If the game is in a state of Lynch or Lose OR Mislynch and Lose (LyoL and MLaL, respectively), then it's best to get all of the claims out in the open to fully analyze the state of the game and determine the best course of action from there.

Situation 2: If the game can potentially be "broken open" by a massclaim when the town is in no danger of losing, then it can sometimes be an acceptable strategy to suggest a massclaim.

As neither of these are the case, we will not be massclaiming for the time being. :)

Unless you meant something else by "massclaim", in which case, please share.
Let's just say that as this game progresses, you'll see that you can gain more information
during the Day than the Night. ;)
Could you be more specific about what you mean by wagon information?
Wagon information = information that can be gleaned from the votes on a player at the time they are lynched.
What information do you suppose we could glean from a Night phase, Clownfish?
The power roles will have had the opportunity to use their powers, and the mafia will most likely kill the most threatening player which gives us the opportunity to try and deduce their identity from that person's interactions.
Have you read the setup information?
Did you vote because checkbox was too agressive in his post?
No. There's nothing wrong with aggression in a vacuum. :)
hey all. like a few of you, this is my first mafia game.

From what I can tell Iso's really coming out of the gates quickly here. I honestly have no idea what to make of that, but I also don't quite understand the vote for Checkbox. Could it be because of familiarity from previous games?
As I said, I'm not voting Checkbox for meta reasons.

Also, it's relatively common for me to break RVS pretty quickly. :)
sheesh this sure is a mental game, isn't it.
WELCOME TO MAFIA
I kind of want to go along with Iso and Stardust and put some pressure on checkbox to start this game going, however I don't really want toacccedentally lynch a townie for not a great reason like that
"Not a great reason like that" being "I want to /barn Iso and Stardust"? (To /barn means to shamelessly agree with something with no addition of your own.)
By forcing out fellow town? Right after, Imopen made a post that would seem to many that he was a town player as well. If Iso is indeed town, a gambit used to narrow out fellow town is worth it i think? It was a sketchy play to make if he was scum, so I am inclined to lean towards him being town for now.
Don't clear me just yet - I could have either been looking for the correct claim format (blue vs. green), or, if imopen is my scumbuddy, I could have been counting on him posting right after me to clear him if I happened to see him active on the site. :sherlock:
So, imopen is now confirmed town to me.

Now, let's do things.

Right now, we're still (sort of) in RVS. My opening post was a gambit to lure out the next poster to see their response.

Kaze's from MafiaScum, so townies are green in role PMs (instead of blue, like on MTGS).

I know this because I have a green role. :teach:

Any questions?
I'm think we are going to get along this game :)

Unvote, Vote Checkbox
:hifive:

Why are you voting for Checkbox, though?

[quote=&
quot;Stardust » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:48 pm"]Yeah, you guys got it! Imagine too if someone had come out with "Of course town is blue! Vote Iso." Awesome potential value for the town, questionable potential value for the scum makes Iso most likely town.[/quote]

:hifive:

Stardust! Please remind me to touch on this specific vote after Checkbox's claim.

-

Actually, I see you've already blown your load on it. :/ I'll still
go into it afterwards, though. But the Checkbox wagon is fine - wait for his claim before we go off on this tangent.

as for my post; I saw what iso was doing very sketchy, if not scummy (this is my second game, so I'm not terribly great at scumtells yet). Considering he made his initial post as the second post of the game, right in the heart of RVS, and actually mentioned something as telling as PM role color, I was very confused as to why he was doing what he was doing, hence the question. I guess everyone else saw that as putting pressure on him, which I was, because I wanted an explanation for so obviously foregoing RVS for no immediate, apparent gain whether he is town or scum. It
raised a red flag so I asked a question; and I'm still waiting for an explanation I can buy.

I can't quite get behind stardust's explanation of his play; if he is scum, it is a sketchy play - I follow you that far. But I still dont get understand why it makes you think he is town; maybe he only considered it a "haha" way to start the game, but I just dont see what he has to gain by doing that as town.
Query: Do you view RVS as a place where valuable information can be gathered? Why or why not?

-

God dammit Stardust. XD You got to it before me again.
Random votes are usually frowned upon and are seen as more of a scummy thing to do. I know Mr. Box's vote wasn't random, per se, but to me, it's a scummy thing to do and
shouldn't be done by new or old players.
Is this your explanation for your vote?

This.

I'm about ready to move my vote over to Suga. But I want to explain why to the new kids first. :D
everything suga has done looks much more scummy than anything else so far...

Vote: DroppinSuga
Why?
Vote: DroppingSuga

I may be wrong but he has effectively been too aggressive in his voting (I'll comment on the issue later, now I've got to go).
What's wrong with aggression?
I'm not doing anything close to claiming until someone comes up with a real reason for the wagon. Suga obviously didn't deliver, so I'd like to hear from Iso and/or Stardust on the matter.
Stardust stated my reason. Your reason for voting me was pretty bad and looked like you were looking for an excuse to put your vote somewhere. It's RVS so it's more leaning null than scummy, but I had to start things off somewhere, too. ;)
who the fuck is kpaca?
Мы, темноте

Iso
Tire Aficionado

Postby Iso » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:31 pm

Also, the "meta information" question rubbed me the wrong way, Checkbox. Now I'm going back and explaining why I want to vote Suga.
who the fuck is kpaca?
Мы, темноте

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:36 pm

You're not claiming regardless since you've only got 2 votes on you now (Iso and Suga). imopen's lucky he's town, because asking for your claim while simultaneously voting for Suga based on Suga's vote on you is super shady.

I don't mind explaining my vote though since Iso's quiz is over now anyway. Iso confirmed imopen as town, and probably himself in the process. I don't know if Iso was seeing the same thing I was, but my reasoning was that scum players tend to try to discredit strong town reads because they narrow the field. Too many town reads
stacking up is bad for the scum since they're at their best with the maximum number of mislynch targets possible. You arguing against that (especially since it was such a fast reaction) is worth investigating since I think it's pretty obvious what Iso was trying to do, but your mindset and explanation so far have felt townie to me. My vote was more a push for that explanation than because I legitimately wanted you lynched.

Your town read is helped by Suga, incidentally. His vote on your wagon was extremely sketchy, and his back tracking regarding your claim has made even less sense. I wanted his answers to my questions before I threw down a vote, but he's at L-2 now anyway. Please, noone else vote for Suga at this point. Suga, I support your wagon. Please claim.

EDIT: Whew. Big Iso post. Why do/did you want Checkbox's claim? And when did I explain your reasoning for voting Checkbox?
҉

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:37 pm

In this game, claiming is pointless since there's no characters to use as possible reference, but I'm Vanilla Town.

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:39 pm

Were you just lurking until I asked you that? What about answering my previous questions?
҉

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:44 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure. I have a hard time with games that aren't based off something where you can start to figure out alignments based on character. So to be honest, I feel like a noob in this game myself.

Checky's vote just bothered me since it was one of the first posts in the game and from a noob it seemed rather aggressive.

imopen2
Tire Aficionado

Postby imopen2 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:46 pm

You're not claiming regardless since you've only got 2 votes on you now (Iso and Suga). imopen's lucky he's town, because asking for your claim while simultaneously voting for Suga based on Suga's vote on you is super shady.

I don't mind explaining my vote though since Iso's quiz is over now anyway. Iso confirmed imopen as town, and probably himself in the process. I don't know if Iso was
seeing the same thing I was, but my reasoning was that scum players tend to try to discredit strong town reads because they narrow the field. Too many town reads stacking up is bad for the scum since they're at their best with the maximum number of mislynch targets possible. You arguing against that (especially since it was such a fast reaction) is worth investigating since I think it's pretty obvious what Iso was trying to do, but your mindset and explanation so far have felt townie to me. My vote was more a push for that explanation than because I legitimately wanted you lynched.

Your town read is helped by Suga, incidentally. His vote on your wagon was extremely sketchy, and his back tracking regarding your claim has made even less sense. I wanted his answers to my questions before I threw down a vote, but he's at L-2 now anyway. Please, noone else vote for Suga at this point. Suga, I support your wagon. Please claim.

EDIT: Whew. Big Iso post. Why do/did you want
Checkbox's claim? And when did I explain your reasoning for voting Checkbox?
I never voted for suga and am still voting for checkbox :shrug:

Checkbox is L-2

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Also, the "meta information" question rubbed me the wrong way, Checkbox. Now I'm going back and explaining why I want to vote Suga.
What about it rubbed you the wrong way?
whisper words of wisdom

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:48 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure. I have a hard time with games that aren't based off something where you can start to figure out alignments based on character. So to be honest, I feel like a noob in this game myself.

Checky's vote just bothered me since it was one of the first posts in the game and from a noob it seemed rather aggressive.
My only vote was THE first post in the game, and it was obviously RVS. Why does that bother
you so much?
whisper words of wisdom

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Welp, with that one additional inconsistency/bad answer, I'm ready to vote Suga anytime. Anyone have a good reason to extend this day any further? I'd like
TubeHunter to answer Iso's questions, at least.
҉

Return to “Completed Games”