[WIP] Flames of the Underworld

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Ascension
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

[WIP] Flames of the Underworld

Postby Ascension » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Work in progress

[deck]
B/R Midrange
4 Underworld Cerberus
4 Desecration Demon
2 Erebos, God of the Undead
3 Lifebane Zombie
4 Thrill-kill Assassin

4 Chandra, Pyromaster

2 Whip of Erebos
1 Underworld Connections
2 Read the Bones
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Doom Blade
1 Ultimate Price
1 Devour Flesh

10 Swamp
5 Mountain
4 Blood Crypt
4 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Mutavault

Sideboard
x Rakdos's Return
x Slaughter Games
x Thoughtseize
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Devour Flesh
1 Anger of the Gods[/Deck]

I never wrote a primer or anything before but I'm really feeling this deck and open to all suggestions it's been pretty insane so far.

I chose to go with B/R over G/R mainly because of Anger of the Gods a three-mana sweeper that almost replaces mutilate
while giving a solid answer to resilient stuff like Voice of Resurgance and the new mana-dork Sylvan Caryatid. Desecration Demon and Underworld Cerberus survive the wrath if you decide to sandbag it for value or just draw it later.

Underworld Cerberus is also pretty insane against control decks if you resolve late game there's no way you can lose if you force them to verdict you'll get so much gas off him and they'll probably get nothing it kinda feels like Angel of Serenity when you play with it. The only thing I hate about the hound is that he exiles himself so you can't use him with the whip. Erebos, God of the Dead is really good against control too along side him, Chandra, Pyromaster and the one-of [card]Underworld
Connections[/card] you should have no problem with going into the late game against Control.

Thrill-kill Assassin - I could use a better replacement for this card but as far as I know there's no other good defensive two drops out there that I'll be able to cast reliably if you have something for me let me know please. She stays on her leash against aggro decks, and becomes unleashed against control decks. I was playing the deck with a bunch of other stuff in her place and it wasn't as good, I really needed to be able to throw a nice curve of creatures at Control decks to keep the pressure on.

Thoughtseize - Great card but I don't feel safe main decking it right now, I'm expecting to see a lot of RDW and WW what's the worst I can do them take one of the 4 2-Power creatures in their hand? I could be wrong but when I was trying it out it felt like it didn't really phase those decks, but it was pretty busted against other
midrange decks and control. Would love to hear your arguments if you think it deserves main deck slots though.

And that's about it for now, I'll test some more and post some more info.

Jack
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Jack » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:52 pm

You could probably get away with 23-24 lands, since you have Read the Bones, Erebos and Chandra (as well as Underworld Connections) to smooth out your draws. Anger of the Gods seems questionable with 13 red sources. I think you might be better off cutting it and improving your consistency (you do have a lot of cards that cost double black).
Sig by NBW.

Return to “Archives”