What should I bring to a local tournament?

Legacy Archives

Moderator: Mcdonalds

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

What should I bring to a local tournament?

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:40 pm

So I just found out there is a small Legacy tournament tomorrow.

I have two decks I have been slowly assembling for bringing up to Legacy tournaments. Problem is that they are not complete and there is no chance I'm gonna get the missing cards by tomorrow.

So I'm posting my semi-finished decks here to ask what can be done. Bear in mind that I am a very mediocre Magic player with typical records of 0-2, 0-2, 1-2, 0-2, Drop, so I'm not shooting for the stars here (hey I cannot be awesome at everything right?).

Part of my mediocrity stems from not being assed to maintain a complete catalog of all the competitive cards and their interactions in the back of my mind, so for example I might understand I'm playing against an Iona deck only when I actually see Iona be reanimated. My play-style is therefore the less interactive possible, in that I just ignore the other player and
just make my draws. This has drawn me naturally to build Burn decks or High-tide decks, the latter one possibly one of the most autistic/nerdrage inducing decks around.

Also, since I'm not competitive, I like to introduce some WTF cards which are subpar but occasionally screw the adversary strategy. For example I've always been a fan of sideboarding 4x Karakas to bounce back legendary fatties.

So without more ado, here are my partially completed Burn and High Tide decks. Are they hopeless or can I still pull something out of them? Which should I choose.

[deck]High Tide[/deck]

Notable misses: 4x Flusterstorm

[deck]Burn[/deck]

I have some more cards like 4xWasteland and many other Legacy staples, one card of each magic expansion from Arabian nights to Mercadian Masques (minus Legends which is incomplete), I have a playset of all the cards from the Fire&Lightning decks, most of the cards from Innistrad, A lot of cards from Modern masters, included a sealed booster box which I can break to try to find stuff, plus some things here and there from the RTR Block.

What should I do? (kill yourself is not an option)
Originally posted by Galspanic on MTGS
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:12 pm

Burn is the only option my friend.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:26 pm

You've been a great help
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:28 pm

You've been a great help
What did you expect? I basically never play Legacy and if I do, it's burn baby burn. That deck has won a few Legacy tournaments here.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:42 pm

I expect people to tell me if these are viable or if I shouldn't bother, and what card pool may improve these decks, and then I might check if I have any of these cards lying around.

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:50 pm

The burn deck can win but it depends on if your area has a legit Legacy meta. I'm no Legacy expert, but I might consider running 2x Fireball

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:11 pm

I would highly suggest playing Painter Stone. There are almost no decks in the format (aside from the mirror and Charbelcher) that can do anything about turn 1 Blood Moon. The deck is also moderately cheap.

[deck]Ruben Bresler Painter Stone[/deck]

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:15 pm

NEWSFLASH: No matter how cheep or expensive the cards are, and since I only learned about tomorrow's tournament yesterday night, I either go with the pool I have at home or simply don't bother going, since there is no way any cards I buy will be in my mailbox by tomorrow 8AM

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:16 pm

You know what scumbag, if you're going to have this kind of attitude, I'm not even going to bother trying to help you anymore.

:stubborn: :no:

:hug:

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:37 pm

(On my phone or I would post deck lists)

If you have show and tells, show and tell variants would probably be your best bet, specifically omniclash, given its similar to high tide and largely in interactive

Otherwise burn or high tide honestly aren't bad choices

@Alex wouldn't call iPainter cheap, although more affordable than most others

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:52 pm

I mean High Tide is a deck, but I'd lose a Preordain and play a single Blue Sun's Zenith so that you're less likely to whiff. Sometimes you can cast it at yourself so that you keep going off, then make more mana and mill your opponent once you naturally draw it again.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:57 pm

Despite the overwhelming and excellent provided advice, I think I'm not going to bother going. These decks are too weak as is, I don't unfortunately own any show and Tell, and I don't have the time to think about alternatives myself.

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:02 pm

Scumbag, just play the burn and feel the burn. It'll be liberating to be that guy for once. Then you can officially join FoS.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:29 pm

Despite the overwhelming and excellent provided advice, I think I'm not going to bother going. These decks are too weak as is, I don't unfortunately own any show and Tell, and I don't have the time to think about alternatives myself.
There's nothing wrong with High Tide. o_o I wouldn't play it personally because I don't like the deck, but it has some redeeming qualities, most notably that it is extremely good against Painter Stone, a deck which is pretty popular. It's basically immune to Blood Moon.

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Being a rogue deck is nice as well, virtually no one tests for high tide.

Dude you have candelabras, go show off.

You can play spell pierce in place of flusterstorm (phone auto corrected to flusterstorm, sweet), the biggest hindrance is having only two cunning wish (no real replacement for them :/) although I've seen lists only play 3, and having the full 12 can trips and main board blue suns zenith (with candelabra main, it's actually not bad) helps. You probably would need to build it to where its less reliant on your washboard and actually sideboard.

Return to “Archives”