Rakdos // Dos Rakis

Other developing decks

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:22 pm

Current deck list please - thanks!
[deck]Modern Dos Rakis v. 1.04[/deck]

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Is it any good? I love me some Dos Rakis, but how does it perform against the field? It seems like traditional beatdown decks just aren't good in older formats, in general.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:21 pm

I won an 8 man over the weekend (didn't have time for the daily) and crushed a bunch of practice matches this morning.

The deck hits hard and doesn't quit. In a fast T4 format like Modern, I think this is even better than it was in Standard, since the pressure is on to do something powerful and I have access to better mana and better threats.

I've had a lot of success playing beatdown in Modern. Affinity has been a top deck for years, and now Delver is getting there on the back of 1/1 Elemental tokens.

Playing Black in a Red deck gives me a lot of flexibility that keeps me from just losing to combo.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:26 pm

Some brainstorming suggests that replacing something with Bitterblossom makes both Falkenrath Aristocrat and Swiftspear better.

I'll just buy the damn things. YOLO

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Bitterblossom is what Bloodghast should have been, but now you're running Bitterblossom, Confidant, and Eidolon in the same deck. Proceed with caution.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:49 pm

I was thinking about running Bitterblossom in Confidant's place. Thoughts?

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:22 pm

Beating my opponent down to 8-10 and then dropping a pair of Eidolons has to be the most satisfying red deck soft lock available.

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Thanks; I'm new to the format. Affinity just seems more comboy than a beatdown/curve-out aggro. Instead of 1-2-3-4 curves, they're more like 0 0 1 1-1 1 2-big enchantment or Etched Champion.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:12 pm

Aodh:

Affinity needs to have an explosive combo element since it's basically a pile of underpowered cards that suck on their own, but can deliver a lot of damage in small bursts.

This deck is similar, but each card is individually more powerful. The synergies are there, too, but nothing as broken as Cranial Plating and Inkmoth Nexus.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:07 pm

I was thinking about running Bitterblossom in Confidant's place. Thoughts?
Probably your best option. They offer similar benefits but Bitterblossom plays a lot better with Aristocrat and Bloodsoaked Champion.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:17 pm

Thanks Val, your reasoning is the same as mine.

BB triggers Prowess, which pleases me, and plays defense far better than Confidant. Non-bo with my SB Illness in the Ranks, but I can't have it all. A faerie token with a sword seems like a nice plan B when my Aristocrats aren't nearby.

Swapping Confidant into Bitterblossom makes me more inclined to include fan favorite Stoke the Flames, but that's probably pushing it.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:13 am

After testing Bitterblossom in Dark Confidant's place, I can reliably judge it a bad choice as a Dark Confidant replacement. It may be good alongside it, but not a fan of it as a direct swap.

The faerie tokens played nicely with Falkenrath Aristocrat but mostly the enchantment just killed me slowly. There were a number of games I lost that would have been easy wins if I had Dark Confidant's body to attack a few times.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:55 pm

I'm waiting around for the 3rd round to start of this 8-man, but this list is running fairly well -

[deck]Modern Dos Rakis v. 1.05[/deck]

The Mogg Fanatic is a mistake, I submitted the wrong version of the deck by accident. It should be 4 Pillar of Flame instead, which makes Swiftspear look more reasonable. It may be better as Forked Bolt or Burst Lightning. It's mostly a Pod hedge, since I can get brickwalled on the ground with all my small dudes.

The sideboard Boils are for Scapeshift, which is tech I saw discussed somewhere. Those bastards run enough Islands and Steam Vents that the card is a blowout if it ever resolves (pre- or post-Scapeshift). It may be better as Molten Rain.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Lost to bogles in the finals, didn't see my SB Spellskites :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Chma
Newcomer

Postby Chma » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:26 pm

You should stream this deck and archive it so I can watch it! ;)

I really like v1.04 on paper.
The SB Bloodchief Ascension and Boil looks real hot, though.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:40 pm

I'll stream this hot mess on Saturday :yes:

I'm going to run Fulminator Mage in the 3 slot as an extra Scapeshift hedge. The Phoenixes were so-so.

The Bloodchief Ascensions are great, jury is still out on Boil since I haven't drawn it yet :p

Chma
Newcomer

Postby Chma » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:00 pm

:thumbsup:

Seems like a reasonable change. As sweet as the value you get from phoenix is, I think it's relatively slow and weak in the format for 3 mana. Bloodsoaked champion seems better for recurring beatdown. Haven't played with that card myself though (and you're already playing a set :D )

My experience with island hate cards in the SB is that I probably vastly over value them based on the fuzzy feeling I get from nailing a blue deck out of a game

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:09 am

I'd like some input from the crowd. When looking at 1-drops, I have Goblin Guide and Monastery Swiftspear as my hasty threats, Bloodsoaked Champion for resiliency and a pair of Grim Lavamancer for the mid-late game.

Monastery Swiftspear is mediocre without enough non-creature spells, but is a human, which plays nicely with Falkenrath Aristocrat. The haste makes it easy to recur Bloodsoaked Champion on T3 or later.

The core of the deck includes 4 Pillar of Flame and 4 Lightning Bolt. I don't think this is enough to make Swiftspear worthwhile. Swiftspear is routinely a 1/2 or a 2/3 for a turn, which make me think she's the wrong fit for the deck.

What should I be running in her place? I'm thinking about the following -

[cards]Rakdos Cackler
Stonewright
Gnarled Scarhide
Figure of Destiny
Firedrinker Satyr[/cards]

Stonewright/FoD are my current favorites of the bunch. I like them for very different reasons.

Stonewright lets me use my mana every turn in combat, lets small creatures attack into bigger ones, and pumps a Falkenrath Aristocrat for an alpha strike. It sucks on its own, but pairs up very well. It's a human, which is groovy.

FoD is also a great mana sink, but forces me to put my eggs into one basket in a format with cheap removal. Dumping 10 mana to make him ultimate just to meet a Path to Exile is disappointing. It can be pumped flexibly, but requires mana in chunks of 3 or 6 all at once, which is uncommon in this deck.

Both cards are great in the late game.

So the question is - do I run another 1-drop, or do I bump my non-creature spell count up to make Swiftspear worthwhile? How many spells before she becomes good? I'm not sure I can justify running an aggro deck without a density of dudes.

This core of removal/burn seems like good value -

[Deck]4 Pillar of Flame
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Searing Blaze[/deck]

Beyond that I struggle to justify cutting creatures for burn. Is this enough?

I saw similar debates in last year's PyroRed regarding Young Pyromancer and burn spell density, so I'm curious where the split worked out. I'm sure it's relevant here.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:44 pm

I played in the practice room all morning until downtime with the following -

[deck]Modern Dos Rakis v. 1.06[/deck]

I didn't lose any matches. I played against UR Delver twice, Scapeshift twice, the RW Burn deck with Mutagenic Growth, Tron, Junk Pod/Midrange, and a RUG Twin deck.

I don't need the Boils anymore, since Fulminator Mage does everything I want against Scapeshift. I put a pair of Dismembers to deal with big creatures in the battlecruiser matchups like Rhino Pod. The Grim Lavamancers come out, Dismembers go in :sherlock:

The current creature flex spots are the following -

[deck]d00dz[/deck]

I don't particularly like the Dragonlords (they're slow), and the Grim Lavamancers aren't usually doing much so I'm scouring Gatherer for better options.

I realized something very neat by accident when playing with Stonewright. If I attack with an unpaired Stonewright, I can recur Bloodsoaked Champion at instant speed and then pair them up to deal with surprise/bigger blockers.

Stonewright plays well with first striking creatures, so I'm looking around for the best 2-drop with first strike. Ash Zealot, Blood Knight and Plated Geopede all come to mind. 2/2 first striking humans both seem quite good. There isn't much flashback right now, so Ash Zealot probably isn't doming anyone for 3 as Snapcaster Mage falls out of favor, but the haste is great. There's a lot of white creatures floating around in Pod, so Blood Knight seems nice, if a bit slow. Plated Geopede gets pretty big when I'm making land drops and fetching without mana investment. They all fail the Lightning Bolt test, but so does everything else in the deck.

I also noticed that Khans brought us Gurmag Swiftwing which is interesting, and certainly something I would have liked to play in the old Dos Rakis deck. The 1/2 body is unimpressive, but it has haste, flying, and first strike.

I'll try them all out for lulz. If they're still unimpressive, I'll just put in a pair of Pack Rats and coast to victory.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:52 pm

I realized something very neat by accident when playing with Stonewright. If I attack with an unpaired Stonewright, I can recur Bloodsoaked Champion at instant speed and then pair them up to deal with surprise/bigger blockers.
That's adorable.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:30 am

:V

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:13 am

I have no idea if this is good, but I brewed this up while scouring Gatherer for playable Modern humans in the 3 spot -

[deck]Modern Dos Rakis v. 1.07[/deck]

The draw here is Agent of the Fates. The handful of cheap burn spells can either target the opponent on an empty board or split damage between an opponent's face and the Agent for a non-targeted edict to get around Leylines. Darkblast can be recurred from the GY over and over for value, and Agent lives through it.

The density of modular burn may even be unnecessary, since a 3/2 with Deathtouch is still pretty good. It all synergizes well with Monastery Swiftspear.

All the humans makes Cavern of Souls attractive, which should help sneak some wins against Scapeshift, Delver and UWR's counterspells.

This may be a completely different archetype that Dos Rakis aggro, but I wanted to write it down before I forgot about it.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:14 am

Back in the land of aggro Dos Rakis, I'm interested in trying out Grim Haruspex and Xathrid Necromancer.

If that's not greedy enough, Prophetic Flamespeaker.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:12 am

This seems like a favorable board state for me -

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:57 pm

OK, now we're getting somewhere -

[deck]Modern Dos Rakis v. 1.08[/deck]

I was running Terminate alongside Cavern of Souls and having some consistency issues. Dismember fixes that particular trouble, and I can fire it off of a Cavern in an emergency. I like having a panic button against the bigger creature decks packing Siege Rhino, Tarmogoyf and friends. It hurts a little more with Dark Confidant, but not significantly. I can usually get some black sources to avoid the life loss, but having to choose between playing a creature and casting removal in the same turn was getting on my nerves.

I really like the Caverns. I have 3 creature types (Human, Spirit, Vampire) so drawing a few Caverns in a game doesn't annoy me. The first one names Human if I'm facing control, second on Vampire.

If you want to be really slick, you could easily swap Eidolon for Young Pyromancer.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:48 am

The Necromancers are OK, but not great. In fact, thinking about them now, they're only good when I get hit with a sweeper. Will try again tonight with Prophetic Flamespeaker or some other mystery 3 drop.

Maybe I'll just skip the 3 spot entirely and flesh out the 2 spot.

Or play some Swords for prowess triggers that don't suck with my other creatures.

Anyway, I'll stream whatever pile I decide on tomorrow during the 4 PM (PST) daily.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:09 am

Scratch that, both FFsplit and OBS are acting up. I'll post the results here after the daily :V

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:16 am

Round 1 - Win vs. Jeskai Ascendancy combo (2-0)

I'll spend some time figuring out this stream, since the first round was so laughably quick.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:24 am

Went 2-2, losing to Burn twice but beating Pod and Jeskai Ascendancy combo. I was happy with the deck but I think my decision to board in Molten Rain vs Burn was very wrong.

I talked between rounds about dropping Molten Rain from the SB, so I'll think more about what that spot should be. I think Bloodchief Ascension is great, I just got hosed in round 2 and 4 when I was stuck on 2 counters and when I got it blown up with Destructive Revelry.

:argh:

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:38 am

The list for reference -

[deck] Modern Dos Rakis v. 1.09[/deck]

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:55 am

I really like how your deck is looking, I will send msg to my friend about this thread. He might want to try this out.

Btw I really am interested in this Siege Rhino/Thragtusk/Disciple of the Vault/probably Restoration Angel deck. Could you probably say what it played as well? Decay/Path? Thoughtseize/Inquisition? Lingering Souls/Liliana?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Here's the video link, if anyone wants to watch it in action - http://www.twitch.tv/hamfactorial/b/596915706. The first round vs. Jeskai Ascendancy was bugging out, but it was hardly worth watching.

I played against the Rhino/Thrag/Disciple deck a few days ago, I thought it was good. It seemed a bit cute, like a worse version of Pod, but it definitely stalled up the ground and drew a lot of cards.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Did you get any other cards it played? Or any video ?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:18 pm

No, the screenshot above was from that match. I only remember the cards you can see up there.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Could you by chance record relays for me? they are stored by MTGO.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:41 pm

I had an idea while driving to work that a blue splash for Snapcaster Mage could synergize well with other cards already in the deck.

Snappy is a human, and lets me abuse the well-established Bolt-Snap-Bolt combo. Replaying Pillars and Bolts gives me extra Prowess triggers off of Monastery Swiftspear. He can replay any spells I discard to Liliana. After he serves his purpose, Falkenrath Aristocrat turns him into a +1/+1 counter. Value!

I already have Caverns, so the only mana base adjustment would be a Steam Vents and a Watery Grave.

I would replace Eidolon with Snapcaster Mage, and trade in Bloodghast for Young Pyromancer.

How's this? I get the warm fuzzies just looking at it.

[deck]Modern Dos Rakis v. 1.10[/deck]

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:53 pm

I think Shadow Guildmage would be a great way to rebuy Snapcasters and pick off mana dorks. Would live in Grim Lavamancer's spot.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:57 pm

You only have Lightning Bolt to flash back at instant speed. I feel like you want Magma Spray instead of Pillar and at least two Terminates.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:07 pm

I think you're right about Terminate. I goldfished for a while and YP$ isn't great, so I'll put some Terminates in his spot, plus a single or pair of Burst Lightning.

I like Pillar, especially when I'm fighting Voice of Resurgence. Do you run Magma Spray in Delver?

I've been giving thought to the old Standard tech of Brimstone Volley since it deals so well with Siege Rhino. :sherlock:

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:12 am

I think you're right about Terminate. I goldfished for a while and YP$ isn't great, so I'll put some Terminates in his spot, plus a single or pair of Burst Lightning.

I like Pillar, especially when I'm fighting Voice of Resurgence. Do you run Magma Spray in Delver?

I've been giving thought to the old Standard tech of Brimstone Volley since it deals so well with Siege Rhino. :sherlock:
I run Magma Spray in my sideboard. I value the instant speed over being able to do damage to the dome, especially with it's Snapcaster synergy. If you weren't running Snapcaster Mage I'd go with Pillar though.

Return to “Developing”