keeper is still the best deck

Legacy Archives

Moderator: Mcdonalds

iamabadman
Defender of GRR
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

keeper is still the best deck

Postby iamabadman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:28 pm

LETS GET SOME DECK LISTS GOING!

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:36 pm

I can post my Enchantress list at some point
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
it's not cheating if you hand her the jizz afterwards
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

PhantomS
Tire Aficionado

Postby PhantomS » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:09 am

I consistently have the best RUG list. I am actually the best.

poggydude

Postby poggydude » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:11 pm

hey phantom, im actually starting to take legacy seriously, and to be honest i find your rug analysis to be one of the smartest i've seen(from your scg article). would you be able to give me some insight on how to handle the deck both in general and also specifically with miracles? If you have already written on this subject i apologize and if you could link me i'd appreciate it.

[deck]4 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Brainstorm
1 Portent
3 Spell Pierce
4 Terminus
4 Force of Will
1 Counterspell
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Counterbalance
2 Entreat the Angels
3 Snapcaster Mage
1 Vendilion Clique
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Glacial Fortress
5 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Flooded Strand
3 Plains
3 Tundra
1 Karakas[/deck]
SB: 3 Counterspell
SB: 3 Rest in Peace
SB: 2 Energy Field
SB: 2 Enlightened Tutor
SB: 1 Humility
SB: 2 Flusterstorm
SB: 2 Disenchant

here is my decklist, i am currently boarded for my stores
very warped metagame(excessive nic fit), but rug is creeping back in and i dont want to lose entirely to that deck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: also note that the energy field sideboard is simply a test and unlikely going to be a permanat fixture

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:20 pm

I'd be interested in reading Phantom's article
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

poggydude

Postby poggydude » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:33 pm

PhantomS
Tire Aficionado

Postby PhantomS » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:52 am

hey phantom, im actually starting to take legacy seriously, and to be honest i find your rug analysis to be one of the smartest i've seen(from your scg article). would you be able to give me some insight on how to handle the deck both in general and also specifically with miracles? If you have already written on this subject i apologize and if you could link me i'd appreciate it.

[deck]4 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Brainstorm
1 Portent
3 Spell Pierce
4 Terminus
4 Force of Will
1 Counterspell
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Counterbalance
2 Entreat the Angels
3 Snapcaster Mage
1 Vendilion Clique
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Glacial Fortress
5 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Flooded Strand
3 Plains
3 Tundra
1 Karakas[/deck]
SB: 3 Counterspell
SB: 3 Rest
in Peace
SB: 2 Energy Field
SB: 2 Enlightened Tutor
SB: 1 Humility
SB: 2 Flusterstorm
SB: 2 Disenchant

here is my decklist, i am currently boarded for my stores very warped metagame(excessive nic fit), but rug is creeping back in and i dont want to lose entirely to that deck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: also note that the energy field sideboard is simply a test and unlikely going to be a permanat fixture
Well, the basics are... basic. Your most important card is far and away Sensei's Divining Top. Seeing as RUG is the better Brainstorm deck, having Top to combat that is clearly important. The majority of games that you win involve setting up Countertop, so most important thing is to not let those two cards get Spell Pierced/Dazed. No reason to care much if they get Forced though because two for one-ing them is pretty good for you. The longer the game goes they more they'll need to two for one you either with Force or multiple Pierces on the same spell. You
have enough answers for all of RUG's threats and the match in my experience has come down to tight play more than anything. Again, don't get Dazed or Pierce when you don't have to.

More than anything you need to play quickly. The matchup is among the grindiest I've seen and not going to time is tough. If you're taking more than 3-4 seconds per top activation or find yourself ever forgetting the order of cards on top of your deck then you're not going to be able to pilot the deck fast enough.

If you have any more specific things you'd like to know then by all means ask, but those are the bare bones.

poggydude

Postby poggydude » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:31 pm

as stated in my last post my group has a very large amount of nic fit, so grindy matchups arent usually an issue anymore :)

i will try putting more emphasis on landing the countertop combo, if i still am having problems i'll let you know but hopefully this will fix my problems. what are your reccomendations for boarding? also is my board missing anything that is usually used?

thanks for advice so far

PhantomS
Tire Aficionado

Postby PhantomS » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 pm

I've had Baneslayer Angel and Moat boarded in against me, and both seemed relatively real. I don't have much experience playing from the UW side so I don't know how much advice I can give you on that end. I assume you already know that you want to board Force out.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Phantom, what are your opinions on GW vs. UG Enchantress?

Like, the UG brews are what have Top 8'd recently, but I kind of think that the GW is mroe resilient (though I haven't tested the UG versions yet)
whisper words of wisdom

PhantomS
Tire Aficionado

Postby PhantomS » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:00 pm

They're both fucking awful.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:23 pm

I honestly think that the GW Enchantress deck (the one I run) is pretty well positioned in the meta against the "best decks"

I think I'm at least slightly favored against RUG Delver (they can't beat me with their threat-heavy hands. They can land a threat and just counter everything else, but that happens rarely)
Maverick can rarely beat me
Miracles either has infinite counterspells when they need to, or I resolve an Enchantress and drown them in Card advantage
Show and Tell is my best combo match up, though it's still not very good.
Obv storm steamrolls me
Nic-Fit's only win-con against me is Deed, which is hwy I run 1x Karmic Justice at this point.
Junk straight-up loses (unless they run deed, and I don't have Karmic Justice in play)
whisper words of wisdom

PhantomS
Tire Aficionado

Postby PhantomS » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:20 pm

[quote="Checkbox » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:23 pm"]I honestly think that the GW Enchantress deck (the one I run) is pretty well positioned in the meta against the "best decks"

I think I'm at least slightly favored against RUG Delver (they can't beat me with their threat-heavy hands. They can land a threat and just counter everything else, but that happens rarely)
Maverick can rarely beat me
Miracles either has infinite counterspells when they need to, or I resolve an Enchantress and drown them in Card advantage
Show and Tell is my best combo match up, though it's still not very good.
Obv storm steamrolls me
Nic-Fit's only win-con against me is Deed, which is hwy I run 1x Karmic Justice at this point.
Junk straight-up loses (unless they run deed, and I don't have Karmic Justice in play)[/
quote]

What about your list makes it good against RUG? Previously Enchantress could beat Canadian Thresh because of Moat, but Delver matchus up favorably against Moat and everything else you do is just shitty.

PhantomS
Tire Aficionado

Postby PhantomS » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:21 pm

The other thing about Legacy is that weird kids love playing random-ass combo decks, which just end up rolling enchantress. The Legacy "metagame" is literally all over the place.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:26 pm

I maindeck Humility which steamrolls Maverick and is pretty good against RUG, actually. Like I said, the RUG matchup can be draw dependent (I just lose to their infini-counterspell hands), but a large percentage of the time, they have dead burn in hand and 1-3 threats that I can usually take care of and not enough counterspells (especially if I can land an Enchantress early). I also maindeck Choke which is useful in that matchup.
whisper words of wisdom

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Also, I do agree that the legacy metagame is all over the place, but I can usually beat randoms who either have never seen the deck before or just don't know how to play against it (I got paired against Matt Costa playing RUG Delver in Round 1 of SCG Buffalo this past summer, and although I ended up punting the match (by not playing a land before casting a Blood Moon that got Dazed), I could've won because of his self-proclaimed unfamiliarity with the deck and SB tech.)
whisper words of wisdom

PhantomS
Tire Aficionado

Postby PhantomS » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:12 pm

You'll win more games by playing a better deck.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:01 am

Probably, but I won't have as much fun.
whisper words of wisdom

PhantomS
Tire Aficionado

Postby PhantomS » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:35 pm

When was playing Magic ever fun?

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:34 am

Playing Enchantress is actually a fuckton of fun.
whisper words of wisdom

PhantomS
Tire Aficionado

Postby PhantomS » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:10 am

I disagree. I even wrote an article about it.

http://www.quietspeculation.com/2012/05 ... chantress/

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Lol That is NOT playing Enchantress... that is just sad.

But seriously, not having played it against real decks means that you don't actually know what its like to play the deck. And while I'm sure you're a good/fine player, going into that deck blind means you're gunna have a bad time.
whisper words of wisdom

PhantomS
Tire Aficionado

Postby PhantomS » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:37 pm

I AM A FANTASTIC PLAYER

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:11 am

I believe you.
whisper words of wisdom

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:25 am

is legacy really cutting count spells or is lord mcdonalds lying to me/not really knowing what hes talking about?

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:26 pm

I've heard that Abrupt Decay/Deathrite Shaman have shifted the format greatly
whisper words of wisdom

PhantomS
Tire Aficionado

Postby PhantomS » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:11 am

is legacy really cutting count spells or is lord mcdonalds lying to me/not really knowing what hes talking about?
A lot of people are benching 1-4 of their Force of Wills. Card is objectively bad and only contextually good against combo or necessary in decks like RUG that just don't like playing spells that cost mana.

Shaman
Newcomer

Postby Shaman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:48 am

A lot of people are benching 1-4 of their Force of Wills. Card is objectively bad and only contextually good against combo or necessary in decks like RUG that just don't like playing spells that cost mana.
This, I agree with. I've been bitching that FoW is a necessary evil for years now.

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:11 am

Captain Obvious strikes again.

Return to “Archives”