Running Tally: M14

Discussions about the secondary market for Magic Cards. What's Hot? What has fallen from grace?

Moderator: Thrillho

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Running Tally: M14

Postby Thrillho » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Hey guys I haven't done this in a while because I've been too focused on playing Magic and no one brings a binder out with them where I play.
Here are the current top 20 cards of M14 based on TCGPlayer 4-copy presale prices following prerelease. I usually wait until after prerelease to start this thread because prices become a little more sane with some amount of single product existing:
1. Archangel of Thune -- 34.95
2. Kalonian Hydra -- 28.50
3. Chandra, Pyromaster -- 16.50
4. Garruk, Caller of Beasts -- 16.50
5. Mutavault -- 14.40
6. Scavenging Ooze -- 12.50
7. Primeval Bounty -- 7.15
8. Shadowborn Demon -- 6.70
9. Jace, Memory Adept -- 5.95
10. Darksteel Forge -- 5.70
11. Xathrid Necromancer -- 5.49
12. Lifebane Zombie -- 5.35
13. Witchstalker -- 5.25
14. Fiendslayer Paladin -- 5.10
15. Liliana of the Dark Realms -- 5.00
16. Ajani, Caller of the Pride -- 5.00
17. Savage Summoning -- 4.
18. Imposing Sovereign -- 3.50
19. Sanguine Bond -- 3.49
20. Mindsparker -- 3.25

A decent mix of rares and mythics in the top 20 priced above that of a booster. However, there will likely be a large drop off in value once more singles become available and, inevitably, individual cards do not universally meet the hype they were expected to have.

Expect a drop off in the top two mythics, as neither does anything on ETB for 5 mana, which is well below the current bar for playable 5cc creatures. Chandra may be a steal at $16, but that's also very much a crapshoot.

I have big hopes for Ogre Battledriver and Lifebane Zombie. Some people are claiming Xathrid Necromancer means a return to Human-based Aristocrats and Humanimator combo.

I don't expect the current top 20 to last a month into M14's legality.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Prices have dropped on the M14 hype cards. Angel and Hydra are each $28 $24 respectively.
Garruk overtakes Chandra at $15 versus $13, respectively.
Mutavault and Ooze are sitting pretty at $12. Both saw vast amounts of play at SCG over the weekend, and Ooze is the breakout card of the set by far.
Xathrid Necromancer and Fiendslayer Paladin both saw reasonable amounts of play over the weekend as well and sit at $5.50 and $6, each.
Witchstalker saw virtually no play and is at $5. Lifebane Zombie is at $4.50 and saw a lot of sideboard action.
The new Winged Sliver is $2, the rest are sub $2.
Young Pyromancer is still $2 despite the mass release and not showing up in Standard at all this weekend, though many I'm sure are still banking on him being the 5th chosen son of the cross-format 2-drops.

Ogre Battledriver is $2 and honestly even at $2 I would buy in because where were you when Hellrider was a $1 card?

Anything
else of interest, feel free to report it, but these are the current things of interest I've seen in M13 land.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Chandra's Phoenix is $4 currently.
Scavenging Ooze is $13.
Chandra is like $30 or something ridiculous.

InflatablePie

Postby InflatablePie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:56 am

Mutavault is on the rise: only a few stores on tcgplayer have it around 15 (3 copies at the time of this post), most of them selling it for around 18. I'd keep an eye on them and actively trade for them still if you could.

Garruk is around 18-20 after mono-green/barely-Gruul decks have been jamming it as a 4-of.

Scavenging Ooze is dipping a bit below 12. I'd be content with picking them up in trades when possible.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know if you're being lied to?

The answer? Use a gun. And if that don't work... use more gun.

Return to “Market Street Café”